Rise Interactive Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Found 137 reviews

2.8
Rise Interactive CEO Jon Morris
Jon Morris
Pros
  • "Digital Marketing Experts: If you're looking to learn(in 17 reviews)

• "Rise has a strong focus on building a company culture driven by success(in 12 reviews)

Cons

"Great Company Culture, Poor Salaries & Growth Opps"

Former Employee - Internet Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Rise Interactive and it makes me sad it ended abruptly. I don't regret my decision to leave in the slightest, but I have plenty of positive things to say about Rise. The best part is by far the people - the place is like one big family and there is a real sense of community. I met some of my best friends at Rise Interactive, and learned more about digital marketing than I ever... could have imagined in a short amount of time. Other pros include... +Solid Benefits Package (Health Care in Particular) +Work Social Events/Happy Hours +Great Learning Opportunities +Work From Home Days +Work/Life Balance is Usually Fine +At Rise, you learn some of the best tactics & strategies in the game, and you will go on to other places and teach people the "Rise" way. +Employee Services staff is GREAT - they really value everyone's feedback and try to make the workplace better. Rise was a fun, supportive, and nurturing atmosphere, great for anyone right out of college or with limited digital experience. Plus, external recruiters will tell you that one year at Rise is worth multiple at other agencies - other competitor agencies love recruiting from Rise.

Cons

Salaries, especially for media channel members, are far too low. You start the job and immediately feel underpaid given the incredible amount of work you do, and the amount of revenue you drive for the company. What's even more frustrating is that no matter how hard you try to prove yourself, promotions are seldom based off of merit. It's literally about gaps in the organizational chart, tenure, if a wave of... employees quit, or if a new client requires a senior level IMC. There is a total lack of transparency around this process and it makes you question: what am I working this hard for? Other cons include... -Lack of growth opportunities - as a media channel member, you basically have to wait for an AM to quit to get promoted, no matter how hard you work, otherwise you are stuck at the Senior IMC level for eternity. -Because promotions are not based off of merit, there are too many managers unqualified for their positions. You get managers who have no idea how to manage time, projects, and most importantly people. -Some middle & upper managers are so removed from the day-to-day they couldn't answer basic questions about their channel. -People quit in massive waves, management never sees it coming and is blindsided, throwing things into chaos. -Certain media channels are very afraid of automating basic tasks, like bidding for example. Some employees would spend hours doing bidding and budget pacing every morning - completely inefficient and certain to make anyone sick of their job. -The account management/media channel divide - this departmental split works on some accounts but doesn't on others. There are too many "account managers" that have little knowledge about digital marketing and cannot properly communicate to clients. This creates a lot of headaches and conflicts between the two teams, and ultimately leads to AMs overpromising and Rise underdelivering.

Advice to Management

When it comes to crushing goals, winning awards, and innovating, keep doing what your doing. When it comes to employees quitting in droves for other agencies, Rise has more work to do. Recruit your own employees every day. Recruit them like they have better opps waiting in the wings - because they do. Don't wait until they come in and tell you they are quitting to make up a creative new position and promise them the... moon, because at that point they are almost always gone. Stop wasting time on gumballs and tokens, simply beef up salaries & provide tangible growth opportunities for your employees. Employee Services does a great job of listening , but it takes dozens of employees quitting before changes are implemented. Lastly, make sure management on the channel teams is building relationships with their employees - not just the Associate Managers, but the Directors as well.

Rise Interactive2019-07-11

July 12, 2019Vice President, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your time at Rise. We are certainly glad to hear the many positive comments and appreciate the outlining of your areas of concern. As you noted, we are listening and working to implement a number of things to continue to improve our work environment including the new merit/performance review process, Rise Life, promotion/job posting policy, quarterly conversations, career pathing, and compensation analysis. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

"Start your career or go clear"

Former Employee - General Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Snacks, Gym Membership, Friendly Office/Admin Team

Cons

Rise is what's wrong with capitalism. While you may grow your career, it will come at a cost. Employees are numbers and clients are money. Lack of known company ethics means it hasn't been a top priority to be transparent or self-aware about the clients they take on, let alone the lack of resource infrastructure to take on new work. Disparate inter-team processes are only the tip of the iceberg. You either get out... or drink the complacent cool-aid further supporting an environment that centers on the cis white male culture that so desperately needs POC/women at the helm. Back to priorities, you get this. There is sexual harassment that is managed by brushing it under the rug and leaders who do not follow policy and protect the accused. Not a feminist workplace to say the least.

Rise Interactive2019-08-10

August 13, 2019Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Over the past few years, Rise has done a great deal of work to improve our workplace including listening to employee feedback and reviewing data (including Glassdoor posts). The continued improvement in employee engagement scores and commentary and reduced retention are strong indicators of improvement in those areas. In addition, annual Harassment and Discrimination Training has educated our employees and managers on how we can all work together to address those issues. Our policy and actions clearly outline our commitment to addressing any concerns relative to any type of harassment or discrimination. Of course, we do have areas we need to continue to work on including diversity, equity and inclusion as well as improved processes and procedures that can allow us all to work more effectively and efficiently. We are certainly disappointed to hear that you had such a negative experience at Rise and will use your feedback to continue to work hard towards making this the best possible work environment for all Risers.

"See the forest not the trees"

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Young, fun culture Flexible work style Innovative Open Collaborative An opportunity you won't get anywhere else

Cons

A few toxic employees and former employees who think they have all the answers

Advice to Management

Keep moving forward and holding people accountable for bad behavior. As long as we are all respectful and place our egos aside we can do great things. Also, remember nothing happens overnight. The good, impactful change will take time and patience.

Rise Interactive2019-05-06

May 8, 2019Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas on how we can improve our workplace through Glint, during ask me anything events, lunches with senior leaders or directly with the Employee Services team and/or the Diversity and Inclusion Committee.

"Big vision but fails executing with poor ethics and leadership culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, nice office, some smart and fun people

Cons

Hours worked are valued more than impact, bit of an old boys club

Rise Interactive2019-05-17

May 19, 2019Director, Employee Services

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

"Great Company Culture"

Current Employee - IMC in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Rise Interactive full-time for less than a year

Pros

I look forward to coming to work each day due to the company culture and challenges I'm presented with

Cons

Not a whole lot of room for big promotion and lack of diversity at the exec level

Rise Interactive2019-03-27

April 1, 2019Director, Employee Services

"Nope."

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than a year

Pros

They used to hire very smart people.

Cons

Rampant turnover, lack of leadership, inexperienced executives, no diversity If you don't work a set number of hours, you will be fired. If you ask questions, you will be fired. If you have original thoughts, you will eventually be fired. If you want to grow, you are more likely to be fired. If you complain, you will be fired. If you don't want to work weekends and vacations, you will be fired. If you callout... completely unacceptable behavior, you will be fired. If you want to see people treated with respect and valued, you shouldn't even apply.

Advice to Management

Cash out already. Everyone knows that's all you care about. Hire someone who doesn't live in your neighborhood to tell you what's up. You have no clue.

Rise Interactive2019-03-05

March 8, 2019Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your time at Rise. We are sorry to hear that it was not the best experience and wish you well in your next endeavor.

"Leadership will consistently disappoint you"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Despite so much heartache, disappointment, and shockingly poor moral judgement, Rise was overall an experience that I don't entirely regret: industry experience working for great brands, mostly kind and motivated employee-base, better than average benefits that have improved over time, and a great office location for commuters. Benefits that shouldn't be overlooked: - Generous healthcare coverage - Decent... PTO offering - Relaxed dress code - Work from home policy

Cons

Tread extremely careful with Rise's leadership team. You will never cease to be amazed at how unethical, morally skewed, and downright appalling particular high-ranking executives can be. You will be led to believe countless times that change is coming and that they are interested in *you* the person, i.e. the employee base that is exploited for long hours and virtually impossible requests, only to be sadly... mistaken when it comes time for leadership to prove that they care for your well-being as a human being. Sadly, Rise will always be destined for a mediocre work environment and a deterrent for the most sought after talent pool due to their inherent biases and inability to effectively treat people as more than just a number.

Advice to Management

You say you are listening and will list all of the appropriated channels and forums that were created as a demonstration to show you care yet somehow nothing meaningful seems to ever really feel different. Despite what you might want to believe, there are many (perhaps even hundreds of) unhappy current and former employees... seriously evaluate what (and who specifically) are holding this agency back, even if it... means taking a long, hard look in the mirror.

Rise Interactive2019-01-31

"Strong company culture focus"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Rise provided a fantastic experience for getting started in the digital marketing industry. You're allowed to take significant ownership over projects and initiatives (just understand that accountability comes with it!). Rise has a strong focus on building a company culture driven by success.

Cons

The combination of strong company culture and high expectations can be intimidating, especially to those new to the industry.

Rise Interactive2019-01-01

January 2, 2019Director, Employee Services

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

"Paid Search Intern"

I worked at Rise Interactive full-time

Pros

great place to work. A+

Cons

long hours and grueling training

Rise Interactive2019-01-02

January 2, 2019Director, Employee Services

Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to hear that you found Rise a great place to work and hope that you shared specific feedback with the Employee Services team about the training and work schedule. This will help us continue to improve our internship program. We wish you the best of luck in either your next internship or eventual full-time role.

"Great Culture, But Not Paid Enough"

I have been working at Rise Interactive

Pros

Great Culture, Great People, Amazing Environment to Learn

Cons

Low Salaries, Poor Transparency, High Turnover Rate

Rise Interactive2018-11-11

November 11, 2018Director, Employee Services

Thank you for sharing your feedback. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas on how we can improve our workplace through Glint, during ask me anything events, lunches with senior leaders or directly with the Employee Services team.

Found 137 reviews