Monkedia Reviews

249 Comments

Advertising

31.1K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Monkedia~1455737
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Engaging and flexible working environment!

Sep 30, 2021 - Project Manager in Halifax, NS
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have really enjoyed working at Monkedia during the length of my employment! It's a great working environment full of professional, talented, and committed people who are very friendly, welcoming and helpful! My manager has been amazing since day one! Very respectful, understanding and knowledgeable. My onboarding plan/ training was outstanding and detailed to ensure a smooth transition into the Project Manager role. The HR department is engaging and responsive.

Cons

Not applicable during my employment.

2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Junior project manager

Aug 12, 2021 - Junior Project Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of fun to work here

Cons

Low pay to keep employee motivated

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you for your review. We feel that our pay is at or above market across the board. Here is the data: On Glassdoor, our ratings pertaining to compensation and benefits is in the "highly rated" category among reviewers. Internally, in our most recent engagement survey (August 2021), our average employee rating of compensation was 7.2/10 and 71% of employees agreed or strongly agreed that "our health benefits meets my (and my family's) needs." We will continue to keep an eye on this. Wishing you well!

3. 5.0
    Current Employee

Caring leaders; innovative and fun culture

May 14, 2021 - Human Resources Director in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of opportunity here. Supportive leaders. Cutting edge work. I am really confident in our leadership team. They know what they’re doing. I trust their direction. They promote from within and are committed to developing employees. Provide great flexibility to employees.

Cons

A few growing pains that typically hamper start ups. But the leaders acknowledge them and are actively working to improve for all of us.

2 people found this review helpful

HR Director / Head of HR

Hi there, thanks so much for your review. I love how you touched on the company's leadership and the promote-from-within approach.

4. 4.0

Great People - Leading the Way in Digital Marketing

Feb 26, 2020 - Customer Success Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

- The people that make up Monkedia are top notch. Very talented and for the most part are team oriented. - Technologies developed in-house are huge assets. - Monkedia is leading the way on digital platforms. - Fast growing company, so you can find a niche for yourself and help it to grow. - Office environment is great - Happy Hour - Team Events - Breakfast provided on Fridays - Work from home options

Cons

Performance reviews would be helpful. Growing pains

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you for this review. We are happy to hear that you are pleased with our people, our technology, and our collaborative nature. Thanks for acknowledging that we make our people feel valued - we love to hear that! In a recent round of employee engagement interviews, we learned that our people truly appreciate the performance review process, as it provides very helpful feedback that leads to professional growth. However, we still have work to do to improve the regular cadence of those reviews. We are on it!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

After All These Years, Still A Great Place To Work

Aug 11, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Some of the smartest and innovative people I have met work here. COV-19 has forced the company to be flexible and communicate more.

Cons

Work / life balance can be challenging while working from home due to COVID-19 restrictions.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Took a chance on Monkedia and I am glad I did!

Feb 5, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Monkedia is an awesome place to work. I learn something new everyday and am surrounded by some of the most intelligent people I have ever met. I am constantly challenged within my role to think outside of the box, and if I have an idea I am encouraged to try it. Monkedia is growing and I am excited for the opprotunities that will come from that growth. Breakfast on Fridays Friday Happy Hours Monthly Team Building Events Fun Office Atmosphere Great Health Benefits

Cons

Communication can be a challenge at times.

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you are enjoying Monkedia and learning everyday! Thank you also for pointing out that communication can continue to improve. Since your review, we have launched new approaches to sharing and democratizing information. Our new cadence of quarterly all staff meetings should also help. Thanks for being part of the journey!

7. 5.0

Great Place To Work

Jan 28, 2020 - Senior Client Success Manager in Irving, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The environment at Monkedia is among the best I have ever worked in. From the initial onboarding and welcoming to the team, to the training, and then ongoing work we do. Monkedia is dedicated to the overall growth and happiness of it's employees and it's clients. They truly see each and every person working at the company as a member of the family. The opportunities to find your passion and really focus on your strengths are huge here. The attention to detail when working with clients to ensure success of their campaigns if above and beyond what you normally see at a agency. They see each relationship with a client as a partnership, not just a check and that is unique. Monkedia is always growing and changing to be better and helps to do the same for the employees.

Cons

Due to the ongoing growth and development of new things communication about changes can at times be slow to make to the entire team.

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are thrilled that you are enjoying Monkedia and had a great onboarding experience. We are working diligently on continuing to improve that onboarding experience for both remote and in-office employees. Thank you also for pointing out that communication can continue to improve. Since your review, we have launched new approaches to sharing and democratizing information. Our new cadence of quarterly all staff meetings should also help. Thanks for being part of the journey!

8. 5.0

Great Place to Work

Jan 27, 2020 - Full Stack Developer in Irving, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The skills of the teams are great, there are a lot of people that I still learn from. Fast-paced, each day is something new to learn and create. Working with lots of different technologies, they are not afraid to test new languages or frameworks. Even when this doesn't work out it still functions as another skill in my toolbox. Management is willing to listen when someone brings up an idea and solutions. Pay is very competitive and hard work is rewarded.

Cons

No continuing education options. I brought this up to management and they have a policy and service provider that they are reviewing before implementing this.

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you for this awesome review. We are thrilled that you are learning, that you get to add new tech tools to your toolbelt, and that you feel heard when you contribute ideas and suggestions. This is music to our ears! About the continuing education options - let's have this conversation again. I am confident that we can provide support for you in your professional development.

9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Misleading Company

Oct 30, 2019 - Data Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone who works there is great, breakfast and happy hour in the office on Fridays.

Cons

Communist style leadership, lack of transparency within company, inability to keep promises, inability to help individuals grow.

12 people found this review helpful

Monkedia Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback! We are committed to listening to and addressing employee concerns, past or present, in an effort to continually get better and create a desirable workplace. To increase the transparency across the company, we introduced monthly all-staff meetings to provide updates on a wide variety of topics, good or bad, so that everyone is on the same page and hearing updates from leaders within every department.

10. 1.0
    Former Employee

I felt free the day I left Monkedia

Oct 31, 2019 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing coworkers (not sure about anymore), breakfast every Friday (but I get this at my current job too so not unique). And by working here, I learned that not everything that glitters is gold— I know what to watch out for in employers and now ask questions, speak up, and look for red flags early on.

Cons

Where do I start? 1) The CEO is manipulative and operates on deceit. I was so excited to be joining a very “cool” tech startup, only to start seeing cracks within months. He is only talk and no action, says he puts people first but surrounds himself with his friends and has closed-off meetings with only them. Makes sudden drastic changes without giving employees a heads-up. Doesn’t listen to new ideas or encourage people to think outside the box. Doesn’t promote women. The list goes on 2) The clientele are less than stellar. Companies listed on the website aren’t accurate, they’re just one time projects that the CEO happened to do years ago and didn’t even directly involve those large companies. Most of them come from his personal circle and religious affiliated referrals from there. 3) The work. I was hired to be a data analyst, along with many others. None of us did the work we were hired for. We were like interns and were constantly promised that we would transition to a full analyst role, yet that never happened? I’ve been at other places where I did this exact same thing, and I’ve never had to stick so closely to the formula the CEO made and memorize processes. Where was room to think creatively? Lots of overqualified, genuinely innovative employees who, if given the chance, would outshine the CEO on any day. Keywords— if given the chance. 4) The environment. Ah, the great open office plan. The happy hours. The games and fun. Just a few gimmicks to keep us all at work until 8pm every day and lose personal lives :) Oh, and no work from home! The CEO doesn’t trust employees to work from home (although all this work could be done remotely) and I recall a time when he asked me about the time a coworker came in and why he left early (he came in at 8:30, left at 5...) We were constantly watched on cameras to see when we were walking in and out. 4) The Canadian team. It was impossible to communicate with them effectively. The CEO’s other yes-men were there and also never listened to employee feedback or thoughts. I felt like I was talking to a wall throughout meetings with them. There are many more things I could discuss. Dishonesty, lack of transparency, fear inducing tactics... none of us were ever sure if we were doing well or not. Our performance reviews would be glowing, then some of us would be laid off weeks later. It was an extremely toxic place for me and my coworkers and a time of frustration and disappointment. We often questioned our own capabilities and ended up not thinking for ourselves eventually. I felt free when I left. Potential job applicants- save yourselves and take a look at LinkedIn if you’d like to see for yourselves. Every high-quality employee has left the company. Many were suddenly let go. Take a look at their backgrounds, where they are now, and how long they stayed at Monkedia. I have never seen such turnover and such bright people. There is no longer an HR team. The analysts and even data leads I worked with have all left. The creative team has left. The people who remain are the few that the CEO is clinging on to because he desperately needs them. Save yourselves the trouble and find a worthy place to work at. The early positive reviews are here because employees are asked to do them within weeks of joining the company. Don’t fall for them. This is the worst place I’ve ever worked at.

19 people found this review helpful

HR Director / Head of HR

Thank you very much for writing this review. We are sorry that Monkedia did not provide a better experience for you in 2019. As a start up, we had (and continue to have) areas to improve upon. Communication, delegation, role clarity, which were once in a very nascent state, have truly progressed. We have grown leaps and bounds in these areas since you wrote your review. Reviews like yours have helped us look inward. We have hired solid leadership team members, and Monkedia has evolved. We have mature departments with excellent leadership. People are happy to come to work, whether that is virtually or in office. We are also managing based on output and impact, not input (hours worked). Thank you again for taking the time to help us see our areas for growth.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 31 Reviews