Managed by Q Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Managed by Q CEO and Co-Founder Dan Teran
Dan Teran

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I interviewed with Managed by Q, once they noticed my skill level they pointed me in the right direction" (in 10 reviews)

• "A lot of employees are concerned about work-life balance in the startup space" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work/life balance can be a struggle at times" (in 10 reviews)

• "I honestly have no cons about this company" (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great team and company goals."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Managed by Q full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A fantastic place to learn. That is– if you are willing to ask questions and never settle for "I know enough."

- A hard-working team, really committed to making Q's "good jobs philosophy" a success by ensuring all employees earn a decent wage and have access to solid benefits (health, 401k, paid holidays, sick leave) - no matter if you're a cleaner or an engineer.

- Feedback and improvements ideas are welcomed positively. I never felt my comments would be dismissed or not addressed.

- Massive efforts to become a more diverse and unbiased work environment. Not a 100% successful, but definitely working towards that.

- Intellectually challenging (depends on team and responsibilities) - There are plenty of issues to solve, processes to be created and improved upon (it is a startup after all) - If you are a natural problem solver - this is a fantastic place for you.

- Transparent CEO and leadership. Everybody knows how the company is doing at all levels, and this really makes you feel you're working on something BIG.

Cons

- Work/life balance for some of some Services team members is non-existent. Although I think there is a personal grade of responsibility here, I encourage the company to look into this. People do burnout.

- Some inexperienced folks in director and manager level positions.

Advice to Management

- If you want to continue to grow, you have to bring people with more experience on large-scale operations (especially in the services side of the business.) or at least, be better advised on how to manage complex field operations along with an ever-growing internal workforce.

-I like what we’re building but sometimes it feels safe and uncreative. Encourage more out-of-the-box thinking, and I have no doubt Q will be a force to reckon with.

Managed by Q Response

30 Jul, 2018 – People & Culture Director

Hi there - thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience in working for Q. Your insight and perspective are greatly appreciated. We also appreciate your time and dedication during... More

2. "An amazing place to learn"

Current Employee - Product in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Product in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at Q for almost 2 years, originally on the client experience team. After lots of career coffee chats and brainstorming, I decided to work towards a role on the product team. This might've been a major hurdle at other companies, but Q proved that they believe in giving people the chance to grow in areas that they're interested in. Happy to be the first Product Marketing Manager, and to keep moving forward here!

________1) Working at Q means working alongside some of the most ambitious, friendly and dedicated people I know. There's a shared excitement to tackle complicated problems and build a great company together.

______ 2) Exec is really approachable and open for one-on-ones with anyone who reaches out. Leadership is well respected, and they clearly believe in the company's direction and success. This is super important for boosting morale at a startup that has so much room to grow.

________3) If you put the effort in and seek out mentorship, it's there for you.

________4) Everyone at Q cares about the people on the front lines, talking to clients every day. It feels really good for other teams to acknowledge how hard that work can be, and for client-facing teams to be sought out as having a unique understanding of our end users.

Cons

________1)We have really large goals for our product and want to move towards them as fast as possible, but the downside of this is that we have less time to spend on improving team processes and the systems we use. Q has a big opportunity for improvement here.

______ 2) It sometimes feels like teams have conflicting goals, which makes it harder to work together.

Advice to Management

Keep motivating us to see each other as one team, working towards the same goal. And keep whipping up pancakes on employee appreciation day, it's incredible.

"Job with no hours to give"

Former Employee - Cleaner in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Cleaner in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Managed by Q full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're at headquarters no need for lunch money.

Cons

There are no hours. When they do give hours it's like a 2-3hrs before your next session what do you do when you have hours to do nothing. Where do you go? I was suppose to be full time not part time

Advice to Management

Give people more than 2hour acts fyi 10-16hrs a wk is not enough for people who apply for a full time job stop hiring people and secure jobs with people already there

4. "Honest Opinion - its fun, but is it a good career choice?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Directionless - it's like working at a new company every 6 months!
    No product market fit - maybe you can find it?
    Chill parties bro. Smoking weed in the office on special occasions really demonstrates that Q is the leader for office management.
    The only thing that is consistent is that employees consistently find better jobs after working at Q.
    Pivoting into a new business model with the added burden of running a cleaning business, an office design shop and a B2B marketplace. So brave!
    Marketing is so good that it makes it look like this place is not falling apart.

Cons

Management is green and takes themselves way too seriously.

Gave up on the "Good Jobs Strategy" to pursue new business models.

High turnover - Typical tenure is a little over a year. CEO was surprised to see how few people have been around for over 2 years at a recent All Hands meeting.

Work Life balance is great - if you enjoy bringing your work into your life. Be prepared to work on weekends and at home after 8pm answering pointless emails.

Very few people have kids and work here. And it shows in the HQ culture.

Advice to Management

Simplify the core offering and rebuild around that. Some of your managers are toxic, but have been with the company for so long that you are oblivious. When people land really good gigs at other companies, you just lost someone amazing whose potential you were unable to realize.

5. "Ideal job for part-time work and scheduling"

Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Operations in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Managed by Q part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I like that MBQ works with you to schedule your desired amount of hours, and if a client wants to end a contract with the company they quickly put you on another account. It's nice that instead of having 1-2 jobs that you have to schedule around each other, MBQ keeps track of everything and manages that for you. The perks for part time employees (CTA pass, cell phone stipend, perfect attendance awards) are great, and you can be recommended for a raise for exceptional work.

Cons

You can often be the only MBQ representative at a company. I like the independence but I can also see how this wouldn't be for everyone as it can sometimes be confusing who to report to. I've also been really lucky in terms of the companies I've been able to work for, but I can also imagine a difficult client would be a drag.

6. "Great experience overall"

Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work independently, weekly pay, eligible for benefits, affordable health/dental/vision, opportunities for extra hours & advancement, stock options for everyone after one year

Cons

Keeping in mind MBQ is in growth mode, there are occasional mixed signals or lack of communication from HQ/sr. management down to operators, e.g., re: dress code; turnover at manager level

Advice to Management

Keep operators up-to-date with corporate developments to make them feel part of the team

7. "Good job"

I worked at Managed by Q full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was good and never had a problem

Cons

There was no problem i had there

"Fun people solving challenging problems"

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time

Pros

- Unique and challenging focus (the platform for managing workplaces)
    - Fun and energetic teams
    - True cross-functional work
    - Cool office in a great neighborhood

Cons

- Have to be excited about working at start-up that's still working on solving a lot of hard problems, so there is a lot that changes all the time.

9. "Operator"

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time

Pros

Flexible, great workplace and room to grow

Cons

Not enough communication with supervisors.

10. "3 years and counting"

Current Employee - Growth
    Current Employee - Growth

I have been working at Managed by Q full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Nearly 3 years and 2 teams later, I have found myself continuously challenged and engaged in the problems we are trying to solve.
    -Great opportunity for career growth. The team is incredibly supportive in helping you navigate your career path
    -We are building something that hasn't been done before and changing the way thousands of companies work

Cons

-Typical pain points of a startup - things are always changing and the turnover can be high at times. Those that have stuck around are truly dedicated and believe in the future and vision of the company.
    -Remote cities do not always get access to the same resources as HQ - this has improved significantly though
    -Need to bring in additional leadership that has helped scale a similar business model

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent about our vision and why we are are evolving our technology and service offerings. And always keeping our mission of empowering others at the forefront