Localytics Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Localytics Reviews

Updated Sep 4, 2019

3.7
Localytics CEO Jude McColgan (no image)
Jude McColgan
Pros
Cons
  • "Had an amazing exec team when the company was young including (WP and BS - for those that know them)(in 3 reviews)

• "Employee growth does not exist at Localytics(in 3 reviews)

1. "manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Montreal, QC

I worked at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

good environment good people good condition

Cons

bad salaries bad service bad product

Localytics2019-04-22

"Good place to work, tough market to be in"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

· Strong culture and values. A lot of company decisions are driven by desire to do good by their employees and their customers. There were multiple times when I witnessed how the company could have done "the wrong thing" and easily get away with it, yet they chose to do "the right thing" only because it was the right thing to do. A rare level of integrity! · Their customers are household names. For those in... customer facing roles experience gained in Localytics would be much more valuable than experience at some other companies that market to mom-and-pop shops. · Big, hairy challenges on the engineering side. Very few companies in town operate on a comparable scale. And most of those other companies are giant corps where one's impact is limited to a tiny part of the system. · One of the reviewers mentioned this in the Cons column, but I see this as a Pro. Very picky when it comes to hiring. I was involved in hiring for the Product, Engineering, and Design departments and at least in those departments a lot of good candidates were rejected. One had to be a truly great candidate to be offered a job at Localytics. As a result the caliber of the team was unmatched. (But to be completely honest I felt that some other departments had much lower bar) · One of the coolest offices in town. Great location in Government Center, steps from every T line.

Cons

· Not sure if this belongs in the Cons column but it's not a Pro either. The comp package is not great. The base salary is average. But there's no performance bonus, and the equity is stock options in a late stage private company. Benefits package is also average at best. · Total lack of transparency. Sometimes it reaches comical levels. For example, there was a VP departure where at some point said VP cleared... their desk and stopped showing up at work and yet there was not a single word from the Exec team. Of course, news travel through the grapevine, often distorted and uncontrollable. · The Exec team doesn't trust themselves and their employees to make the right decisions. As a result no decision are being made when needed. Great ideas were conceived and prototyped by the product and engineering, never got buy-in from the execs, and wound up abandoned. There is maybe a couple of people on the exec team who think strategically and develop vision but apparently they are not getting much support.

Advice to Management

I don't really have an advice to management. In my opinion the new CEO is leading the company in the right direction and should stay the course. But it's been two years and results haven't materialized yet so perhaps some course correction should be considered.

Localytics2019-09-05
  3. "It's only up from here"

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company really pushes you to be self-driven. You're in charge of having a real impact, affecting bottom line, and they sponsor an all company executive coaching program that helps people of all levels for now and in their future.

Cons

There are still some people who are around from "pre-layoffs" that are a bit stuck in their ways and aren't open to innovation. I can understand it, it's scary, but if this company wants to succeed, the employees need to be more open to things being different, and a little uncomfortable at times. Comfort doesn't breed success.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on those employees who are invested, excited and on board to be the future of Localytics. They're the ones who will bring you the best results

Localytics2019-06-18
  4. "Best place I've ever worked."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Young, energetic, smart, amazing people with a learning / teaching culture - Startup vibe allowing the opportunity to find places to plug in and make change and add value - Great technology and in a great sector (digital engagement) - Strong business model and financial growth - Investment in personal growth - Love the culture and the feeling of team & family - Fun environment with pool table..., ping pong tables, kegs, food, etc - Our customers are some of the biggest and best brands. Like CBS, Bose, GoPro, TWC, Comcast and the list goes on

Cons

- Speed up backfilling positions (maybe this is ok. we do hire great people) - I would like to see more folks eager to find opportunities and make change. We aren't so big that we cant make this place what we want. I have been at a few startups and part of the excitement to me is that we own it. You can't put it all on the company. - Identify high potential/performers faster If you have every had a job,... you know the perfect place doesn't exist. There will always be something. With that said, I am a positive person who finds the best in things rather than dwelling in the things that could bother me. If I don't like something I just try and change it.

Advice to Management

We have done a great job at hiring and growing incredible talent. Some are now moving on to bigger roles. Super proud to be at a place that celebrates personal growth. I know we are putting allot into personal development and want to keep this going. I think we will continue to see return on this investment. Don't shy away from from tough subjects. Respect comes from respect. Trust comes from trust.

Localytics2019-04-24

"Poor managers and poor leadership in general"

I worked at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is fair and you don't work ridiculous hours. The office is in a good spot, the benefits are solid, and some people are very competent.

Cons

There's no mentorship or management training, and this results in often very inexperienced employees managing others with little oversight. Gaslighting, abusive language, and poor behavior are management tactics. The office is alcohol-heavy and very into 'bro culture.'

Advice to Management

Take your employee's careers, wellbeing, and happiness seriously. Practice humility. Be more transparent.

Localytics2018-07-26

"Tons of opportunity on the engineering team"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

* Lots of opportunity for growth but you have to ask/push for it * Flexible hours/working from home * Challenging and rewarding engineering problems * Free beer * The engineering management team is stacked with amazing people * True 'unlimited' time off (4 weeks/year is common)

Cons

* Turbulent past, we seemed to have lost our promising young startup 'mojo' at some point * Not being aggressive/competitive enough with engineering hiring * Some older services are kind of a mess, but imo it is great experience working in those code bases

Advice to Management

Increase value of golden handcuffs for senior engineers

Localytics2018-07-03

"So Much Opportunity"

I have been working at Localytics full-time

Pros

This isn't a place for 9-5ers who aren't interested in having impact and autonomy. There is so much opportunity to disrupt and improve the business in a career-changing way, but you need to be a creative, innovative person who isn't afraid to ruffle some feathers. Senior management is craving this type of input from employees.

Cons

The product is ahead of the market (also a pro, depending on how you look at it) and companies are slow to catch on and fully incorporate mobile into their go-to-market.

Localytics2018-06-11

"Sinking ship"

I worked at Localytics full-time

Pros

- You’ll work hard and grow out of fear of a layoff or the company running out of funds - Pretty good Blue across health care plan - Some great people still work here - Tons of free food and happy hours

Cons

- People leave every week and their roles are rarely back filled (responsibilities are just dumped onto others) - Executives lie about the actual state of the company in “transparent” meetings - Insultingly low compensation packages for the work expected of you

Advice to Management

Rethink the way you’re running this place. You promote too slowly when employees have deserved it for years. Promote your high performers and don’t cripple their careers over finances, your competitors on the talent market are watching.

Localytics2018-06-21

"Happy to be here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Opportunity to work directly with Enterprise brands - Still relatively new industry -- leader in advising and establishing mobile best practices - The people. This is #1. The product is good, our clients are great, but the reason I look forward to work is because I genuinely enjoy the people I work with. Having been here for a while it can be hard to always appreciate this until I hear my other friends and... former colleagues complain about their work environments. Respecting and communicating well with colleagues is vital to personal happiness and job performance. - Everyday is a different challenge. - We are a small company. We trust each other to deliver on what is promised, and communicate when things do not go as planned. - Career Opportunities: there has been a notable shift in the last couple of months to really focus on and invest in internal employee career growth.

Cons

- It's important to note we have had recent employee churn. Many people left, and they left for good reasons, including management change, lack of direction, sales performance. Given a short term perspective these are valid reasons to search for other opportunities, and for some people who had been with us for years, it was time to leave. Many of us who remained are invested in our company, each other, and are... optimistic/cautiously optimistic about what is to come. -We are a small company. We support each other, and new employees are properly onboarded to do their jobs well. However, if you are not able or willing to express when you need help, you may find our ongoing training resources lacking. Same goes for career opportunities -- you will do especially well if you deliver day to day, communicate your strengths, ask for help with weaknesses, and express a strong interest in opportunities. IMHO this is good practice for ANY job at any size company, but I've noted some people who have not succeeded here may have done better at a more structured company.

Advice to Management

We have a lot of resources in multiple systems. For both new and veteran employees, it can be difficult to track down needed resources as they could be hosted in any of the half a dozen systems we host materials on. It would be helpful to consolidate or clearly map out where things are, and make this accessible company-wide.

Localytics2018-06-03

"Run"

I have been working at Localytics full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being completely transparent - not much to brag about here. One-third of the workforce has left within the past six months. People are running for the exits and the company is hemorrhaging

Cons

Inexperienced CEO Product team is in catchup mode Tech is old No innovation Engineers leaving in droves Founders left the company Customer churn is through the roof Very few new logos Sales is dismal (at best) Exec team should focus on the issues at hand and stop being babies by chasing past employees who left the company - they left because you suck

Advice to Management

Advise to the BOD. Fire everyone and start over. Company is going down in flames!

Localytics2018-06-21