Knak Reviews

Updated May 16, 2022

Found 26 of over 26 reviews

4.5
Knak CEO Pierce Ujjainwalla (no image)
Pierce Ujjainwalla

57 Comments

Tech

207.3K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Knak~2926706
Join the conversation on
  1. 5.0

Great place to work

May 16, 2022 - Marketing Web Developer in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

It's only been a few months, but so far, a great place to work. Great team, great people, great product, great benefits.

Cons

A little bit of a shake up shortly after I started, but having been around the industry for a while I know these things happen, and ultimately, the move made the team stronger. Key hires in upper management are needed, but those are being addressed.

2. 5.0

Outstanding culture

Feb 17, 2022 - Manager, Business Development in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Knak is an Ottawa start up that has an incredible product and even better people. The co-founders have been very exacting in creating the culture and they all walk the walk. It's a great example of what can happen when smart people come together to work hard and achieve results. - huge opportunity for growth - encourage professional development - generous sick days (life leave) - weekly free lunches - top of the line equipment

Cons

I honestly can't think of any at this point.

3. 5.0

great place to work!

Feb 17, 2022 - Account Executive in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

So far so good!New to Knak but what I can tell you is the team is absolutely amazing and the leadership is approachable and ready to help you with anything! Onboarding was a breeze, and from the looks of it, leads are FLOOOOWING in. 100% recommend taking a look at Knak! GROWING LIKE CRAZY!

Cons

Office space is a little tight for taking calls, but thats been taken care of... Moving in 2022!!!

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company with plenty of room to grow

Feb 17, 2022 - Account Executive in Toronto, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Management Large Focus on Work / Life Balance Day one Benefits Health Spending Account 15 days Holiday Team connection and communication are encouraged Great atmosphere where questions and new process suggestions are welcomed and encouraged

Cons

Growing pains in training structure for new hires in roles that are new/ they haven't hired many people for. Group activities aren't as inclusive for remote workers

5. 5.0

Exciting times at Knak!

Dec 3, 2021 - Art Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Freedom: Lots of ownership over your work Creativity: New and innovative ideas are welcomed with an open mind Opportunity: Exciting growth phase (company + personal career growth) People: Work with kind and competent people. We hold each other accountable to doing good work. Knak has (actually) competitive pay and always-improving benefits. But beyond that, they place a high value on workplace happiness and invest a lot of effort into promoting wellbeing, flexibility, career progression and community.

Cons

The same passion that makes a small team so great, can also sometimes mean there are "too many cooks in the kitchen." However, as the team grows, I sense that all departments and individuals will have more focused priorities + tasks to ensure we're getting things out the door efficiently. Our first round of funding means we've officially entered a high growth phase. It's a super exciting time, but employees should be prepared for lots of change, and some frustration along the way. This is not necessarily a con, so long as you are able to thrive in a somewhat ambiguous environment.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee

Weird and Poorly Managed Cult-like Startup

Nov 18, 2021 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

- remote first (expected now..) - average pay - some nice people

Cons

- unreasonable CEO - poor/unstable product - very poor dev management - cliques/gossip because everyone walks on eggshells trying to uphold some pseudo-positive culture

Knak Response

Thanks for your feedback! We're sorry you feel that way. As the other reviews here show, we foster a healthy, balanced work culture at Knak. In fact, we were recently named one of Ottawa's best places to work by Ottawa Business Journal. https://obj.ca/article/awards/revealed-best-places-work-ottawa When it comes to the stability of the Knak platform, you can see it in real-time at https://status.knak.io/. Spoiler alert: it's rock solid!

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

One of the best companies you can work for!

May 14, 2021 - Software Developer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked with over 20 companies in my career and cannot say enough about my experience at Knak. Starting at the top, the management at Knak has put a ton of effort into having the best teams possible across all departments. As a company that is growing insanely fast they have taken the time to find the best people and keep an amazing culture from the ground up. They are always keeping a pulse on how the company is growing and have made all the right decisions when tough choices need to be made. Management treats everyone with respect and trusts the people who they hire. I've been here 3 years and have never felt micro-managed, I've had all my thoughts heard and I've been treated with the utmost respect from everyone working here. Working with every single employee at Knak is a pleasure. The level of competence, the willingness to help and learn, the feeling of being open and honest is something I have not seen before in anything I've done so far in my career. On the company level, I'm super excited for the future here. There's so much happening and so many big wins happening almost daily it seems these days. Every year the company collaborates to sets goals on the growth of the company, departmental and personal goals and this year we have already crushed them with months to spare. And they reward it.

Cons

There are a few areas that I feel don't get enough attention because of how fast Knak is growing. While I can't say it's overly stressful because of how it's managed, we are moving quickly on things and things often shift around because of new customers and things happening in the industry. With rapidly growing teams and growing product it has been a bit of a struggle to find time to work on the foundation of things and putting things in place to automate the things that could save a lot of time in the long run. But it seems like with the summer months coming it seems like that is actually something Knak is aware of and is working on.

8. 5.0

Account Manager at Knak

May 17, 2021 - Account Manager in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

I can into Knak as the first and only Account Manager after hearing all the hype through various rounds of interviews and personal connections, I thought, "could this be too good to be true?" The great news is, it wasn't! Not only was their onboarding smooth as butter, but the culture was also something that everyone knew and practiced liberally. The product stood on its and own delivered immense value, so much so that the customers at Knak at some of the happiest customers I have ever worked with. I even asked my boss if he paid off my book of business to be extra nice to me for the first few months, spoiler alert... he didn't! Outside of the culture and outstanding leadership, my day-to-day is pretty awesome too! I was handed some really cool projects (some within and some outside my traditional duties) and awesome opportunities. Not only was I given these but I was trusted to deliver with a fairly hands-off approach, other than if I needed help, I knew I could get it from a leadership team that truly understands the industry, the product, and people in general. I can't say enough good things about this company and people have asked me since I joined how it is going and I can honestly say this is the best and most fun job I have ever had!

Cons

As a startup, there are tons of little things that can always be improved but are as a result of growing pains. When a company goes through periods of hyper-growth and maturity advancement there is a lot of catch-up to do from a documentation and process standpoint. However, with that being said, this is my third startup and Knak documentation and processes are the best that I have seen, This is also where I thrive so if you love creating and making an impact on a company then you won't really see this as a con, you will see it more as an opportunity to leaving a lasting impression. To stick with tradition, let's get a fancy coffee machine so I can finally have my monring decaf at the office and not the turbo juice you have in the machine!

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An amazing experience in my first remote position!

May 14, 2021 - Customer Project Manager in London, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

I feel so lucky to be a part of this amazing company! Working at Knak has been an absolute blast. Every day I get to collaborate with brilliant people on some fascinating projects. This role is my first fully remote position and I was nervous at the onset about whether I would be able to connect with my coworkers. I'm happy to report that those worries were quickly forgotten once I met my amazing team. From day one, the atmosphere here has been warm and welcoming. Everyone is always ready to lend a helping hand. Knak has a very well-thought-out set of core values that every single employee lives and breathes every day. The "Maintain Balance" core value really struck a chord with me when I saw it in action. Every company says they promote a healthy work/life balance, but here at Knak, this is more than just talk. I've been so impressed with the hard work that everyone puts in during the workday and equally so with their ability to close the laptop and be present in their lives after work. I'm very much looking forward to my future here at Knak!

Cons

Being fully remote means that I don't get to see everyone in the office every day. While I absolutely love having the flexibility to work remotely, I hope to one day spend some time with my team in Ottawa.

10. 5.0

Knak Company Review

May 14, 2021 - Senior Accountant in Ottawa, ON
    Business Outlook

Pros

Knak has been amazing in helping me grow as a professional and individual. From day one core values are on full display on all levels of the company. The culture is second to none with all team members having the same motivation to drive fun and success. Knak is a unique fast paced environment and I could not be happier or more proud to be a part of the TEAM!

Cons

I have no comment on any downsides. Knak rocks!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews