Gengo Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 5 February, 2018

Full-timePart-time

Matthew Romaine

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great flexibility, work from home, can take time off whenever you want" (in 8 reviews)

• "You can choose to work whenever you want at wherever you want" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "And the competition in my language pair is insane" (in 4 reviews)

• "Underpays talented translators (Pro-level translators) with only" (in 4 reviews)

1. "A Good Opportunity for Experienced Translators"

Current Employee - Freelance Translator
    Current Employee - Freelance Translator

I have been working at Gengo part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are an experienced translator, it's a good opportunity for you to add an extra income stream.

Cons

There's no cons as a part-time job, otherwise one language pair wouldn't give you enough jobs.

Advice to Management

Hope you find more clients.

"Good experience, not a stable source of income."

Pros

In general, it is a good platform for building experience in translation. There are professional translators who review work and give very good advice for improvement.

Cons

The pay is poor and the work infrequent. Overall there is very little incentive to work on the website consistently.

Advice to Management

Increase overall pay and introduce a structured system to incentivize work on more technical documents.

3. "freelance translator"

I have been working at Gengo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay
    good support
    easy-to-use platform
    work from home

Cons

The total experience is very frustrating.
    Overall, there are only some minimal works. And the competition in my language pair is insane. Much of the time is spent waiting for a job. Just several seconds late, and the job is gone. Whether it is in the early morning, or at the late night, there always seem to be some translators staring at their computer screens and waiting intensely for the next project to come up.
    I presume the price Gengo charges to their clients is kind of high compared to other companies, thus there are not many orders. On the other hand, since their pay is fine, a lot of translators are attracted to this website. In this way, the ratio of translators to orders is greatly unbalanced.

Advice to Management

Please find more work and do something to improve translators' experience!

"It could be worse but also much better..."

I worked at Gengo full-time

Pros

- Life/balance is good. No crazy Japanese overtime
    - Pay can be decent but this depends on your manager/department
    - Easy company to work at if you want to live in Japan

Cons

- Business outlook is still very uncertain. This is a company that tried to "disrupt" the translation industry with barely anyone actually knowing what professional translation is. This has led to perennial issues that management does not understand how to tackle.

- The culture is VERY defensive. Management in general cannot handle criticism and the company as a whole likes to celebrate what would be considered minor achievements in other similar companies.

- Salaries seem to be very unequal. Do not rely on potential salary raises down the line as the company will try to give you unwanted stock options instead

- Benefits are minimal. Basically a mix of bare minimum legal requirements in Japan (e.g. 10 vacation days per year) with a US touch (the occasional free lunch).

Advice to Management

C-level executives should have been replaced a long time ago. They have been responsible for a general lack of motivation, direction and leadership for years resulting in a strong turnover.

"Pro Level Freelance Translator"

Pros

- there is a steady flow of work, and I can normally do something substantial every day (depending on what time I log on)
    -very good support, they always reply within 10 mins
    - good that you get feedback on your work frequenly
    -they will accept you without previous translation experience, just based on how you do in the tests

Cons

-rates seem far lower than those offered by other companies but I have found that on an hourly rate, it does equal roughly $10 an hour for the speed at which I work at Pro Level.
    -the quality rating is very punitative, meaning that if you mistake 6 or 7 words (as I did once when translating a menu of around 400 words), my review for that translation was close to zero out of 10
    - I find the deadlines to be quite tight (they are decided by Gengo, not by the customer). This is meant to encourage you to only take a job when you can complete it in one sitting, so if something comes up or you need a break, there is very little spare time in which to do this. However, whenever I have asked for an extension, it has been granted in time (as long as you email with enough time before the deadline).

6. "translator"

I worked at Gengo part-time

Pros

People can translate at home

Cons

There are only few jobs

7. "Translator"

Current Employee - Translator

I have been working at Gengo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

* You can choose to work whenever you want at wherever you want.

Cons

* Nearly not enough work to be even considered to be a side-job. Only think of working for them as a translator if you are already making enough money to pay your rent.

"A poorly managed company"

Former Employee - Operations
    Former Employee - Operations

I worked at Gengo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Motivated, smart co-workers who are passionate about what they do
    - Nice location in Tokyo
    - Good concept, easy to get behind

Cons

- Unfortunate management - mostly nice people, but inexperienced and not uniformly skilled to manage
    - COO is the single most terrible person I've ever worked with in my professional career before or since
    - Often there's a mismatch between the strengths of the service and customers sold, leading to operational headaches
    - Dev resources go to increasing sales, usually not improving core platform, leaving Operations teams with not enough tools to do their jobs well
    - Lack of diversity in leadership, especially gender

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, and be mindful about how you treat people.

"If you have good foreign language skills in a language pair they need,, it's easy to get work with them."

Current Employee - Translator

Pros

Great flexibility, work from home, can take time off whenever you want. If you do good work consistently, customers will often choose you as a "favorite" translator, which means you get first crack at their assignments. I find their ratings system (your "grade" on your work) to be very fair on the whole. The company, of course, loves diversity: its translators work all over the world. So many languages, so many cultures! This company is also a reliable way to get the experience needed to do other translation work.

Cons

One downside is the fact that the pay is not great. However, they do all the work getting the jobs. You may also need to keep your schedule very loose; jobs come in at all hours of the day or night. The customer who needs the quick translation could be anywhere in the world, in any time zone. I often work in the middle of the night.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good management and the upbeat work atmosphere! There have been some minor wrinkles with the Translators Operations Team regarding the new QA process which can be discouraging, but I trust they will get ironed out in short order.

"Engineering at Gengo"

Former Employee - Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)
    Former Employee - Engineer in Tokyo (Japan)

I worked at Gengo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

International Environment.
    Passionate group of engineers focused on cutting edge technology.
    Great opportunities to work on a growing dynamic product.
    Fantastic work location.
    Great hackathons.

Cons

As with any product with a solid customer base there is some minor technical dept.
    For working in the Tokyo office you must like Tokyo.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring great engineers and stay open to trying new things.