Decathlon Reviews

3.9
Decathlon CEO Michel Aballea
Michel Aballea
Pros
Cons
  • "working hours - not a healthy work life balance(in 40 reviews)

• "Low salary, not having a good system(in 33 reviews)

1. "One of the best companies to work for"

I worked at Decathlon full-time

Pros

Autonomous Management system Employee discount Entreprenaurial mindset

Cons

No formal HR system

"Vive la France!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sport Leader in Ottawa, ON

I worked at Decathlon full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have great products available in a wide variety, and an incredibly young workforce. Workers can personalize their jobs to a certain extent. This is a business that addresses a clear need in the market. They have incredible potential for success in Canada (elsewhere this seems guaranteed). I had so many incredible coworkers from a range of backgrounds. We had many opportunities to make a positive impact in our community, and took advantage of some of these.

Cons

I felt that workplace politics were extreme and seemed to influence my success far more than actual, measured results ever could. It felt as if my store manager was negatively impacting store morale and our potential positive impact on the Ottawa market (no longer in this role). After the store opened, myself and several peers continued to experience burnout (mental and physical) as a result of the work environment we found ourselves in. I wrote to HR with several times, and came to understand that others had as well. Whether any positive change resulted was unclear, but my feeling is that it didn't help. Safety did not feel like a priority here, and there were incidents that caused me to question this company's commitment to safety. All company communications seemed to be offered in French first and English "if there's time" (or so it felt). I often went for day-long or week-long trainings or meetings that would be offered only in French (which I do not speak and was never required to have for this job). We were required to use multiple softwares/applications in our daily work, and it was rare for half of them to actually work (at least when I needed them). My experience was that IT services were slow to provide resolutions, and many issues were recurring to the point of frustration/defeat. The amount of "digital noise" I experienced working for this company was overwhelming (emails/texts/calls/WhatsApps/Facebook Messenger/Google Chats). My job title (Sport Leader) and description was identical to probably 1/3rd of the store, but there was a wide range of actual jobs performed under this umbrella term. Failing to treat these roles as being distinct created a considerable amount of job discomfort, dissatisfaction and disorganization. It was hard to understand what one could expect from another, and accountabilities/results were unclear. Despite having only a basic definition of what our jobs entailed, those of us who committed to doing extra work often found it difficult to do less without negative judgement. These decisions were often forced prioritization as a result of lack of time/resources and not due to an inability on the worker's part. Several roles tend to be concentrated around a core group of leaders (which I formerly belonged to) to what I feel is the detriment of the store and the professional development of its staff. It was likely to the detriment of those performing extra roles, who surely must have been experienced their own stressors. Throughout my time with the company, there was an overwhelming commitment to maintaining "the Decathlon way": largely seen in the company's commitment to hire international workers from established stores into key leadership positions. This was also seen by regular visits from international store leaders and other workers. There were many points where it seemed like the company expected the country to adapt to it. I observed an "Us vs. Them" dynamic between the "special" workers of Decathlon and the others, resulting largely from what I feel is the company's complacency in workforce planning or clearly defining (and holding accountability for) key performance indicators.

3. "Good company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Decathlon part-time

Pros

Good work life and family balance

Cons

Small pay and no parking

4. "Great job, great benefits"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Decathlon full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing flexibility, office space, and non-financial compensation

Cons

Tight deadlines and high pressure

5. "Managing content localization and content creation"

Current Employee - Content Leader in Montreal, QC
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Decathlon full-time

Pros

Flexibility, good company going in a good direction

Cons

A bit to freestyle sometimes

"Doesnt comply with American Work Standards"

2.0
    Former Employee - Fitness Leader in Ottawa, ON
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Decathlon full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Great Product Line -A fantastic Business Model -A very compelling recruitment pitch

Cons

-Very young Management with not a lot of experience. -40 hour week is realistically more like 60 with no overtime. This is expected as it has a very European approach to employee expectations. -training is in different cities all you are expected to stay in less then professional acceptable accommodations with shared rooms. -their is a lack of communication within management and it’s ability to manage employees. -they don’t have a defined training program and employees are just thrown into the floor. -the pay structure is very low competitively -they tell you that you will be an Ambassador in your community for your sport. Once you are hired you realize quickly that is something that is to be done on your own time as your job is to do retail only. They use a lot of manipulative language to make you believe otherwise.

7. "Admin assistant"

I have been working at Decathlon part-time

Pros

Good hours, pay and weekend time.

Cons

Nothing bad to say, no downfalls!

8. "Great working environment, nice and caring leaders that look after you."

Former Employee - Sports Advisor in Singapore

I worked at Decathlon part-time for more than a year

Pros

Allow you to be creative and make your own changes to the layout, nice leaders that will guide you along the way, fun environment and great to meet like-minded people.

Cons

Long hours sometimes, have to work on both weekends for PT

9. "EXCELLENT"

Former Employee - Junior Web Developer in Bangalore

I worked at Decathlon part-time

Pros

Since working for the sport cpmpany has provided me a great enthusiam toward the working profession and learn the fundamentals of working life .Undergoing with a great responsibility has shown a good skill development orienttaion.

Cons

AFTER Certain time ,it felt like a lack of future growth and more exploring capability because one personel has been only recomended by the other head incharge which is not a good way .The working capability and the right way of promotion skill is always being judge.

10. "."

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Bangalore

I have been working at Decathlon part-time

Pros

Flexible work timings and friendly work environment

Cons

Nothing as such. It's requires a lot of physical work

Found 990 reviews