Databricks Reviews

Updated May 14, 2021

4.8
Databricks CEO Ali Ghodsi
Ali Ghodsi
Pros
  • "The company is a really fast growing and has an amazing culture(in 18 reviews)

• "The company is growing fast and and the ceiling seems nonexistent(in 12 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Do not really respect work life balance(in 15 reviews)

• "Growing pains coming with the startup(in 15 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years
      Featured Review

Great people, great culture, great problems

Oct 8, 2020 - Lead Data Scientist in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Databricks has some of the smartest minds in industry including both the technical talent and leadership. The company moves very quickly with a strong culture of innovation. I've never felt resource constrained over my 3 years at the company. The general problem set that we work on is incredibly impactful on both data science and some of the largest data engineering workloads in the industry. I've also really appreciated the insight of both our executive leaders and our advisors (especially Ben Horowitz, who is a hell of a visionary).

Cons

I haven't felt like there are too many downsides of working here. Databricks has been in hyperscale mode for the entire time I've been here. That has posed its own challenges, especially in maturing mid-level management. I think this problem is largely behind us as there are now better defined career paths and division of labor while maintaining good collaboration

2. 5.0

The best move

May 11, 2021 - Regional Leader in Singapore
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very dynamic and growing company with a real team work culture! Big customer base, with thousands of new monthly opportunities. Culture diversity Best product in the market

Cons

If there were any cons I will simply not be here.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee

Growth

Mar 18, 2021 - Technical Lead in Toronto, ON
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great to be at a place that is growing. I've personally had lots of opportunities for leadership positions.

Cons

Our internal systems haven't caught up with our level of scale. Means we do things more manually then probably would with this number of people.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee

Incredibly fast paced and dynamic organization

Mar 29, 2021 - Account Executive in Calgary, AB
      Business Outlook

Pros

Team selling approach to address significant growth as a cutting edge data organization

Cons

Have not found any so far.

5. 2.0
      Former Employee

Cons outweighs the pros

Jan 16, 2021 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Databricks is a great way to learn and grow your career. In Sales, management will provide you with the tools and advice (if asked) to help you reach your goals. They don't do this just to throw you to the wolves. They do this because having you do things yourself is the best way to grow individually. Top management, including CEO Ali and CRO Ron are great people to work with who engage in professional behavior at all times. They can be demanding, but they will never belittle you to the point that you feel small or worthless. Finally, at least before the pandemic, Databricks provides catered lunches, Friday afternoon happy hours, and every once in a while mid-week happy hours. They do this to foster camaraderie among employees and to encourage teamwork. They also do this to reward the hard work every individual does for the company.

Cons

Databricks prides itself in having a cooperative culture to foster teamwork. However there are several individuals such as a few sales managers, a few of the employees in finance, one of the IT heads, and one of the officers who do not engage in such behavior and this list is steadily growing. This leads to blame culture that while not prevalent throughout the company, it is steadily growing. Blame culture will result in lack of accountability, lack of incentive to plan ahead, and employees who are unhappy. I saw this blaming myself when I saw one of the customer success people visibly upset after having a meeting with a person in finance, who I think is the director of order management. Apparently this individual berated him unprofessionally and blamed him for every setback that occurred. I learned about this finance person's past work history and through a contact, found out that he was terminated after 3 months from his last job due to unprofessional behavior. Databricks should be on the lookout from hiring people with a shady work history. I also saw one of my fellow account executives get terminated due to workplace politics. He had a simple disagreement with his sales director over how to handle a difficult customer. Note that he didn't give any freebies away to the customer nor did he promise anything that he couldn't deliver. He was right at the end, but the sales director terminated him anyway and took credit for his account despite him meeting his quota every quarter and every year. This is when I began to have a sour taste in my mouth regarding the company. Another issue is the lack of a work life balance. I understand the need to put in the extra hours every now and then to reach company goals and objectives. But towards the end I felt like the work life balance that Databricks claims they want its employees to have has been changed to just a work life. This will result in people burning out quicker and being unhappy. Towards the end of my time there, I felt that my fellow account executives and myself were required to put in 70-80 hr work weeks. I have 2 kids to take care of and cannot continue putting in such demanding hours.

4 people found this review helpful

Databricks Response

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. It is one of our top priorities to foster an inclusive environment where employees feel supported, empowered to provide feedback and are acknowledged for their accomplishments. We also hope that our current investments in improving our hiring processes can continue to help us hire employees that contribute to our culture positively. As we scale at a rapid pace, we appreciate the feedback from our employees on how to improve in areas such as work-life balance. Please feel free to contact me directly if you are open to providing any additional feedback.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work, extra fast growth!

Dec 30, 2020 - Solutions Architect
      Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent company, great management, super transparent. Product is awesome and getting better by the second!!

Cons

None, seriously, none. I’ve been in many startups and this feels like a bigger company but you still have access to product managers and higher up. So no cons.

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great place to work!!!

Feb 19, 2020 - Art Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome people, great incentives and a bright future!

Cons

need more meeting rooms pls

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Most rewarding company I've ever worked at

May 13, 2021 - Staff Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- If you are motivated by making an impact, this is truly your best playground. I'm surrounded by smart people who aim to have a holistic view on the problems we're solving, no matter which department you're in. - Lots of untapped potentials in many of the departments. Since we are aiming to build a great company, with our exponential growth in the last few years and the current stage of our growth, there are a lot of rooms for us to transform the org into a well-oiled machine. By the time we reach the "well-oiled machine stage," we'll most likely outgrow that and pursue the next growth stage. This has been the funnest and most rewarding company I've ever worked at.

Cons

In the scale of work/life balance, many of us probably tip heavier on the work side than balance. But then again, most people aren't joining a startup company for work/life balance.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Cutting edge product, exciting growth, and great company culture

May 10, 2021 - Mid-Market Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Databricks invests in their employees and our development. I've recently been promoted from the Sales Development team to our Mid Market Account Executive team after only 1.5 years at Databricks. The Sales Leadership focuses on promoting from within which has led to high retainment with employees who have been working at the company for 5+ years - Great company culture driven by enablement, support, and WLB. - The product is constantly evolving and adapting to the ecosystem, which is exciting because there's always a new feature and something new to learn every day

Cons

- Due to the changing environment and new features, Databricks is working on finding it's niche within Data Analytics and Data Lake space

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

PERF Review Feb 21021

May 12, 2021 - Service Operations Manager in Atlanta, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Inspiring place to work with teammates around the world that have the extreme brain power and wants to change the world. And willingness to help each other.

Cons

We are growing so fast we never stop

Viewing 1 - 10 of 294 Reviews