Databricks Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

4.7
Databricks CEO Ali Ghodsi
Ali Ghodsi
Pros
  • "Exciting and fast-growing industry(in 16 reviews)

• "Tons of opportunity, the company is growing like wildfire and people are excited about the upside(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "A few growing pains as you’d expect for a company doubling in size(in 11 reviews)

• "Fast paced environment, not a typical 9-5(in 8 reviews)

1. "Great place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Art Director

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome people, great incentives and a bright future!

Cons

need more meeting rooms pls

2. "Being part of something great!"

Current Employee - Commercial Account Executive in Munich, Bavaria

I have been working at Databricks full-time

Pros

Databricks will provide you with the unique opportunity to be part of something great. You are working with the smartest people in the industry and will get support from everyone if you are just asking for it. People at databricks care about each other because everyone is always giving 150% to ensure our customers are successful. The company culture from top to bottom is extremely transparent so everyone fells like an owner.

Cons

There is huge opportunity waiting for you at databricks but only for those who are willing to give their best every single day.

"Toxic, political,"

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have a great product, and a fantastic CEO, and a prestigious brand.

Cons

- Very political in the Go To Market organization, lots of senior leaders who design strategies around what will impress an executive temporarily, rather than what's good for the business longterm. Your desire to do your job well, serve customers, serve Databricks will be shoved aside by a Director or Manager trying to impress their boss, basically. Unfortunately, executives place too much trust senior leaders and don't seem to know about the toxic culture in place. Don't expect any Skip Level meetings here. - Micromanagement and excessive meetings, there is apparently no problem at Databricks that can't be solved by a large stakeholder meeting (nothing gets done in these) with lots of information sharing and reaction, but zero action plan. - Lack of actual ideas to execute on, no strategy provided by GTM leadership for the organization, everyone works in silos and their own bubbles. - Worst work/life balance I have ever seen. Even entry level employees here are working 60 hour weeks. Lip service is paid to fixing this. - Bland culture--- do not be fooled, there is no culture here. It's an extra generic place to work, with no internal point of view.

4. COVID-19

"Hard work, kindness & fantastic technology ! Own it !"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Paris

I have been working at Databricks full-time for less than a year

Pros

Joined the company just before Covid and I've been onboarded and trained during the last months. I have several experiences in the Tech industry. So Why it's a very nice place to work ? - Onboarding is very cadenced and you have all the support you need (Sales Perf team, Mentor, colleagues, execs call...) during this phase. Content is very interesting, not too difficult to understand and the way to present it make it easier to learn in the most efficient way. You get sharp feedback - Culture is fantastic and you really feel it with the people you talk to in the organisation. All aligned on the same basis and make it easier to execute our vision, collaborate... Colleagues are available for help in any request/question - Vision & Technology : UNIQUE in the market, that really fit with clients pains. (Each time I talk to clients, I only get really positive feedbacks on our products and vision) - People : HR and people department are really focus on employee wellbeing (for real, it's not only words) many initiatives across the organisation to make DB the best place to work. Managers are very smarts and keen to HELP on any challenges. Many pros on my side but what I like the most is the ability of the company to react on any issue/change/event in the market. That makes us really agile to face new challenges ahead. "Just really proud and happy to work for Databricks"

Cons

Not much, maybe we can sometimes be overwhelmed but it's more linked to time management. Classic challenges related to hyper growth company.

Continue reading

"Terrible Sales Culture, Micro Management to the extreme"

Former Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in New York, NY
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great Product for ETL, Good brand awareness

Cons

Most middle management / sales directors do not understand product, have no interest in meeting clients, and simply repeat the GRIT Mantra. Often find yourself needing to do internal busy work over external client meetings. Have hired to many sales people - fight for accounts won by those who have been at DB longest. BOYS CLUB

Continue reading

"Do not work here unless you can handle dirty office politics on a daily basis"

I worked at Databricks full-time

Pros

This is a fast growing company that will allow you to build up your career with challenging work that will force you to think on your feet. The company's top executives have also demonstrated that they care about their employees by providing generous compensation packages & benefits. In addition, integrity is something that the top executives will never compromise on. If something is profitable but also unethical, they will not even consider doing it, knowing that if the company does not have integrity, then nothing else matters. Also, CEO Ali Ghodsi is an easy person to get along with. He is not the type of CEO that just sits in his office all day and orders people around. He tries to get to know people by name and says hi whenever he passes you by. It may not seem like much, but a CEO showing a friendly and calm demeanor brings positive energy to the workplace. The same can be said for CFO Dave Conte, CMO Rick Schultz, Chief Revenue Officer Ron Gabrisko, Chief People Officer Amy Reichanadter, SVP of Product David Meyer, SVP of Finance John Winkenbach, VP of Legal Scott Starbird, and co-founder Reynold Xin.

Cons

As much as I enjoyed working for the company and as much as I appreciated the experience Databricks has given me, unfortunately it has been infiltrated by people (mostly middle managers) who are more concerned with office politics than with getting work done. I reported to a middle manager who was clearly out of his realm regarding his job duties and responsibilities. But he never listened to others and was more interested in playing office politics by blaming others, making up stories, and omitting facts to ensure that he looks good while others look worse than he already does. For example, he was inundated with the amount of work to be done and was constantly falling behind, so I offered my services to help alleviate the backlog. He declined, which caused the backlog to grow even more. But rather than asking for help or admitting he was wrong, he decided to put all the blame on everything that went wrong on my shoulders, despite the fact that I either (1) was not told that I had to do certain things or (2) that I did not have the proper access to certain systems that will allow me to do certain tasks. He also told other departments that I was not a team player and that I did not care about my job. He then issued threats while continuing to hammer down the idea that everything was my fault and nothing was his fault. As a result of the actions of this middle manager, some employees in the other departments zeroed in on me as the culprit for some of the things that went wrong on their end. The only things that saved me from a complete ruin to my reputation at the company were the (1) several positive relationships I built with a lot of employees there, both from within my department and with other departments, (2) the fact that many executives and senior directors noticed that I demonstrated willingness to work weekends and nights to help catch up on work, and (3) the raises and the above average performance reviews from my previous managers. Just so you know, the same kind of dirty politics that I experienced also happened to a handful of other people in other departments. They dealt with a middle manager who is more interested in playing dirty office politics than with working towards the company's goals and objectives. With this toxic environment that I fell into, I felt that I could not work any longer in that capacity and decided to move on to my next opportunity. Life is too short to waste on working with toxic people, especially if a much better opportunity is around the corner.

Continue reading

"The Most Toxic Company I Have Worked For, Avoid this company"

1.0
    Former Employee - Account Executive
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Databricks full-time

Pros

Strong cloud native technology that solves some key business challenges Competition closing gap quickly.

Cons

Databricks is by far the worst company that I have ever worked for. The culture is toxic in every way. You spend more time justifying your existence in endless management reviews, than working to deliver value to customers and technology partners. There is no work life balance to the constant micromanagement from the in-country leadership team, who offer no positive input to customer engagements, and have little interest in up lifting or supporting their team. The same can be said for more experienced and tenured Solution Architects, who are very difficult to work with, and treat their colleagues with contempt. I would not recommend this company for anyone who is looking for a collaborative, positive and supportive workplace.

Continue reading
  8. "Engaging Work, Great People"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

- People are not only incredibly smart, but also extremely enjoyable to work with! - Interesting problems across engineering helps keep work engaging and raise personal value - Leadership very transparent, no psychological corporate BS

Cons

- Lot of work to do, hiring like crazy but new stuff still pops up - Growing pains, scaling out engineering is difficult

9. "Rocket Ship"

Current Employee - Technical Lead in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Databricks full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fast paced and cutting edge technologies

Cons

Work life balance takes a hit at time.

10. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Munich, Bavaria

I have been working at Databricks full-time

Pros

Great product, expertise, culture, leadership and team! The Central European team is growing very fast and it's awesome to be part of it!

Cons

No cons really. The way of working is very fast paced and you can make an impact very quickly, if this is something you like, you're right here.

Found 119 reviews