Best Learning Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Best Learning Reviews

Updated Sep 18, 2019

Found 83 reviews

3.7
Best Learning CEO Vivian Feng (no image)
Vivian Feng
Pros
  • "I want to preface my pros by saying in no uncertain terms that Best Learning English changed my life(in 11 reviews)

• "Always paid on time and for the most part properly, the one or two times an error was made, they were quickly rectified(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "I thought everything at Best Learning was okay(in 12 reviews)

• "Marketing Lies about the nationality of Foreign teachers to get parents to sign up(in 11 reviews)

"ESL Teacher"

I worked at Best Learning

Pros

Working with the children is the best thing ever!!!!

Cons

Don't pay enough Get offered a pretty high salary but at the end it doesn't come close. On the weekends you have to teach many many classes and they work you like a dog. Leaving the company and quitting can be difficult if you hold a Z visa

Best Learning2018-10-16
  2. "Suitable for most people"

Current Employee - Elementary ESL Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is good and they honor their contracts. The kids themselves are mostly a joy (not including the few troublemakers), and the environment is more or less akin to any other ESL academy in China. My personal experience at my own center has been very pleasant and my coworkers have been a joy to work with. My principal is professional and that professionalism is the main reason I'm giving the company 4 stars.

Cons

Management feels a bit unresponsive at times. Changes can sometimes be last minute. There doesn't seem to be a super strong consensus on whether or not to share information with the FTs.

Advice to Management

Please listen to your FTs. Some of us have experience and can offer genuine advice to the company. Make sure to keep hiring competent principals and I think you'll be better off than 99% of ESL academies in the country.

Best Learning2019-09-18
  3. "A Wonderful Experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Shijiazhuang, Hebei

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

• Wonderful teaching environment • Great lesson plans and teaching material • Direct lines of communication with clients • Room for growth • Student success is apparent and feels rewarding My review was prompted by recent training with Jeremy from the main office. His training program was extremely helpful, engaging, and fun. He is passionate about English and English education. I strongly recommend his... training program!

Cons

• Miscommunication due to cultural and language barriers • Constantly changes laws and regulations may affect workplace and contracts • Clients may not understand their responsibilities (homework) • Too many useless meetings • Culture shock is something one needs to prepare for • Salary employees are generally treated as hourly workers

Advice to Management

• Be aware that foreign work culture is very different • Regular meetings are only useful when there are pressing matters that require discussion — using meetings to make announcements waste time; directly messaging workforce is sufficient • Planning events in the middle of vacation will result in low participation

Best Learning2019-09-07
  4. "The pay is enough to live like a king"

Former Employee - ESL Instructor in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pay is excellent. The pay is extraordinary for living in China. I order or eat at restaurants for 3 meals a day and I usually end up paying around 22$ a day on food. My apartment is also similarly cheap while also being of high quality. If you come to work in China you can live a very extravagant lifestyle for what is ultimately not too much money.

Cons

It's full time. Meaning you can certainly travel if you want but you're not going to be taking any huge week long trips on the regular. There are two or three solid 5-7 vacations during the year along with some smaller clusters of 1-2 day weekends, but it's not like you're going to Korea or Thailand every weekend.

Advice to Management

Let me keep my overtime for more then 30 days! I want to save some so that I can go and travel.

Best Learning2019-09-07
  5. "A good company for those who want to travel Asia."

Current Employee - English Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

* Good Pay * Nice People * Good Materials * Good Health Benefits

Cons

* Miscommunication at times * Last minute changes

Advice to Management

Set up a stronger means of communication with your foreign employees. They're not always culturally aware of how things are done here and it can leave a bad taste in their mouths.

Best Learning2019-09-05

"It's a great place to work"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working at Best Learning has been an amazing experience, they're very professional and you can always find help if you need it. The money is really good, and I've been able to save nearly half my check during my time at the company. There's always work to do but they make it simple with premade lesson plans, though they're very flexible with it​ and you can use your creativity and always add something extra to... your classes which is fantastic.

Cons

If you're looking for weekends off this is not the place for you, since It's a training school, weekends will be very busy. It's alright for me because I still have 2 days off and that's enough for me to do my personal things.​

Best Learning2019-08-22

"Good experience"

Current Employee - Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

Got me a work visa. Teaching is super fun. Good pay

Cons

First month in China can be rough

Advice to Management

Keep it up

Best Learning2019-08-23
  8. "Not for everyone"

Current Employee - Foreign Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

***this is not a ONLY a review of the company*** This is a review of training received at one of the franchise locations. I am very grateful for the training provided and I have implemented much of the training in my lesson planning already. I believe it was well researched and developed and based on already tested best practices.

Cons

Being asked to rate the training through this site is just one example of poor communication from management. That is not the purpose of Glassdoor. That being said, the most frustrating part of working here has been poor communication with the foreign teachers, a lack of interest in student educational outcomes in preference of getting a sale.

Advice to Management

My advice is to create a more cooperative relationship between FT, CT, CCs, and management by implementing clear academic/testing guidelines that reflect student progress and give each student a chance to learn at their proper level. It would also be nice if management would let their teachers (and the students’ families) prepare for their holidays by giving advance notice of the holiday schedule, as well as any... training or other extra activities the teachers need to do around usual holiday time.

Best Learning2019-09-08
  9. "Great company"

Current Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I have been working at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have been working at Best Learning for almost 1 year and it's been a really great journey, The company really cares about taking care of their employees , the salary is good, and the environment is friendly.

Cons

I will just say about days off, if you're looking for weekends off this is not the place, weekends are the busiest time at work.

Best Learning2019-08-25

"You either work illegally for them or leave China"

Former Employee - Foreign Teacher in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Best Learning full-time for less than a year

Pros

After all the crap I experienced at this company I honestly see no pros

Cons

No proper work visas are given They don't care about the kids learning, just how much their parents will pay The company illegally denies you release papers needed to work somewhere else in China Company HR is run by people who know nothing about working with people Chinese teachers work harder and longer hours and don't get paid overtime for it HR has no common sense when they expect you to take a train from... Shanghai to Beijing for something, then take a train back to Shanghai so you can teach the next day

Advice to Management

I'm going to use this to help others who will fall under the lies of Best Learning. I turned n my resignation the moment I found out my work visa was fake. Although they will argue it is a "real visa", when I saw it is fake it is because it was obtained with fraudulent information. When the new company I was trying to work with asked them for my release documents, they took 10 days to reply only to tell us that... because I didn't finish the year contract with them they could not give me my documents. Don't be fooled by this bs, withholding documents from an employee is illegal in China. Now, here is a list of what you will have to do in case you want to fight these creeps. First of all, don't bother going to the Exit and Entry Bureau or your country's embassy. Unless this is a visa issue they can't help. the EEB won't do much but tell you to go where they got you the visa, and the embassy can only try to tell you what to do or provide you with a list of lawyers you can contact. If you want to get your work documents for a new job from Beile without having to work a year for them, you'll have to go to the Labor Dispute Office in your district and file a case report. I'd suggest going with someone who speaks Chinese to help you or a lawyer. There you will have to write a case report and wait in line for it to get processed. Once this is done, you will be given 15 days to turn in your case report to the courthouse in the district you filed his. In my case, I went straight for the serpents head and filed a case against the HR office in Chaoyang. So go to the Chaoyang District Labor Personnel Dispute Arbitration Institute(type it like this on Didi) to file your case. then you'll have to go to the Chaoyang District Court.

Best Learning2019-08-19