Best Learning Reviews

Updated Aug 6, 2020

3.6
Best Learning CEO and Board Director Vivian Feng (no image)
Vivian Feng
Pros
  • "Salary: the money at Best Learning is quite good(in 16 reviews)

• "China can be wonderful place to live(in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • "People have different personal goals when coming to teach for this company in China(in 19 reviews)

• "Company consistently lies to foreign teachers(in 18 reviews)

1. "Foreign Teacher Beijing Best Learning"

5.0
    Current Employee - Foreign Teacher

I have been working at Best Learning full-time

Pros

High paying salary with great incentives. You get what you give, if you have the mindset that you want to improve the lesson or have ideas that will do well in the classroom you have the ability to implement them. Lots of teaching hours, however sometimes this can be considered as too much teaching hours.

Cons

I believe it varies from center to center. People have different personal goals when coming to teach for this company in China. If you work in a center that has a focus on education then you will have a great time. However if the other foreign teachers are not there to teach and are just there to party then it will be hard.

"ESL Teacher"

2.0

I worked at Best Learning

Pros

Working with the children is the best thing ever!!!!

Cons

Don't pay enough Get offered a pretty high salary but at the end it doesn't come close. On the weekends you have to teach many many classes and they work you like a dog. Leaving the company and quitting can be difficult if you hold a Z visa

3. "Not the worst place to teach in China."

Former Employee - Learning Instructor in Shanghai, Shanghai

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I met a lot of cool people at my job and had fun with the children.

Cons

The hours can be taxing at some times.

Continue reading
  4. "Stable, good place to work"

Former Employee - ESL Teacher
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Best Learning full-time

Pros

Paid on-time, knew what to expect, school was always willing to hear issues from teachers and work on them

Cons

Seemingly typical China/ training center disorganization at times

5. "Would do it again"

Former Employee - Substitute Teacher in China, ME

I worked at Best Learning full-time

Pros

Great experience, worth making the leap.

Cons

Different culture, takes time to adjust

6. "Don't Work Here (Shijiazhuang Best Learning)"

1.0
    Former Employee - ESL Teacher in Shijiazhuang, Hebei

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Although my life in China was wonderful and there is little I would change, there is nothing really good I can say about my time working for Best Learning. I can say that I know there are worse training center franchises, but this is my experience. If you are considering working in China, just be sure to research the school or company. Network with others in the city and especially anyone who has previously or is currently worked there.

Cons

Company consistently lies to foreign teachers. They withhold information regarding anything from holidays to insurance to employment rights to government policies. They are either grossly incompetent or outright lying. They did not pay social insurance, which is required by law. They did not help foreign teachers apply for tax rebates, and even claimed foreign workers were not allowed to apply for rebates. They withhold holiday dates and when they do decide to tell staff when holidays will be given, they make you work different off days to make up for holidays (fair warning, this is actually common practice in China.) They coerced me into signing a two year contract, which is technically not legal in China. When I was offered a better job and wanted to take the job and gave the expected 2 months notice, they refused to release me and they refused to transfer my work permit. On my last work day with the company they refused to pay my final payment and bonus. They made me wait until two days before I left the country, putting me in tenuous and stressful financial situation needing to scramble at the last minute to be able to legally transfer my money home (there are a lot of rules to follow about money transfer in China). Their reason was because my flight was cancelled and had to be rescheduled so they could not pay me in case I would owe them rent, which would have been only about 20 USD per day, and I would have more than willingly paid. They also treat the local staff horribly. Work hours are unreasonable, pay is extremely low, and staff morale and turnover is concerning. They have unreasonable policies around the work uniform, clocking in or out procedures, and any other petty ways they can think of to penalize employees. For example, we come to work 4 hours before classes begin, but if we are even 1 minute late clocking in we are considered late. We are also forced to wait 15 minutes or longer after our class is over before we can clock out. No matter how many hours we work. They offer no incentives and pay is unfair across the board. It is not based on job performance or any measurable outcomes. They are not concerned about student success and promotion. As long as parents are paying, it doesn't matter to them if students are not doing well. Instead of getting the opportunity to continue to learn at their own level, they are forced to be promoted before they are ready. As a training center they miss a huge opportunity to develop student learning in an effective and caring way. Curriculum could be flexible and allow much more opportunity for students to develop their language skills at more appropriate levels.

"Proceed With Caution"

1.0
    Former Employee - Foreign Teacher

I worked at Best Learning full-time

Pros

- Good salary - Air purifiers in office - Use SMART board technology

Cons

- Unsupportive work environment - Lack of trust in management - Suspicion of illegal activity

8. "Best Learning Job review"

Former Employee - HFT

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good salary, enjoyable job, when you perform well there is much less oversight.

Cons

Working weekends, profit based organisation, demand for and from employees can lead to poor work ethic in teachers

9. "Better than most"

Former Employee - Foreign Language Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good structure for dealing with problems arising from a cross-cultural workplace. More than sufficient amounts of training. Great salary.

Cons

The pay is amazing if you over-work yourself. Depending on your center, some levels of upper managment can act extremely immature.

10. "Mixed bag"

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Beijing, Beijing

I worked at Best Learning full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Big company - good pay for China

Cons

LUCK OF THE DRAW AT WHAT CENTER YOU ARE PUT

Found 102 reviews