AlgaeCal Reviews

Updated Sep 7, 2022

Found 64 of over 65 reviews

4.1
AlgaeCal CEO and Co-Founder Dean Neuls (no image)
Dean Neuls
Pros
  • "They did have lots of team lunches every month(in 10 reviews)

• "Excellent team members who really push you to do better(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "There are no cons regarding working at AlgaeCal(in 8 reviews)

• "There is a steep learning curve in the beginning and therefore requires individuals who are actually interested in natural health and helping people(in 5 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year
      Featured Review

A Company That Truly Cares

May 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working here is an incredibly rewarding experience. We get a chance to change people's lives through our wonderful products and support and that is such a good feeling. We hear the stories from our customers about their positive results and it makes everyday here worthwhile. The company truly cares about its team members and leadership at all levels is very invested in our success. I have grown so much personally and professionally because of the mentoring offered and they are invested in my career. The culture here is very inclusive and we are always in the know about what is going on in the company. We have a mission, vision and core values and everyone does their best each day to make sure we are following them. We have fun team events, team lunches and lots of celebrations. I am also very happy with the new benefits program where the company pays 100% of it. I have worked in other companies where I have had to pay a portion of the benefits so this is very nice of them to do this and has made a big difference to my family and me. I feel very happy to be on this team and am excited about my career here.

Cons

I cannot really think of any. We work hard and sometimes the days are long but it is always appreciated and recognized.

Lead of Culture

Feeling the love :) Thank you for taking some time to share your AlgaeCal experience. The days can be long--you're absolutely right! As much as we love the dedication and hard work that we're seeing, please make sure that you're finding balance--and if you need any help with that, The Culture Team has an open door (well, we don't have a door, but you get it!) and open ears.

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Company, Even Better Culture

Jul 28, 2022 - Digital Marketing in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Really great people. The hiring process is long and meticulous but it's worth it when your colleagues are such great people. - Fantastic growth opportunities. If you work hard and show initiative, you generally get rewarded for it through promotion or a pay rise. - A very fast-growing company which is exciting to be around. Senior leaders have very exciting and ambitious plans for the company. - Excellent healthcare plan with wide-ranging coverage. - Incredible opportunities for professional development with a generous budget for seminars and courses.

Cons

- Things can move a little slowly which could be frustrating at times. - At times there could be a lack of transparency and communication surrounding projects but this was improving all the while I was with the company.

Lead of Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share a bit about your time with AlgaeCal! We're committed to improving the AlgaeBud experience. Feedback like yours is helping us zero in on the areas where we can provide the biggest positive impacts. We appreciate you and hope that you're doing great in your professional (and personal!) journey :)

3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Worst place to work

Sep 7, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Nothing. If you read a positive review on here, it’s fake.

Cons

The entire company is made up of incompetent bullies. Highly warning you to not. work. here.

4 people found this review helpful

Senior Talent Acquisition

Hi there and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your time with us at AlgaeCal. I’m sorry you didn’t have a great experience during your time here. We value all of our current and former Algaebud's feedback so we would be happy to learn more about what wasn’t positive during your time with our company. We’re committed to improving the AlgaeBud experience, and are always available to hear your feedback in realtime–no judgment! Just drop us a line at culture@algaecal.com and we can set up a call or convo.

4. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Traumatizing Work Experience

Jul 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- company lunch, milestone celebrations (1 year mark, birthdays, etc.) - flexible health spending account / benefits - team members are friendly and willing to help

Cons

- low salary - very high turnover of employees - no guidance as to how to fill in roles that people get put into in internal movements, and then when failed to meet that standard, the employee gets micromanaged, moved again into other types of roles and pushed to leave - management focuses on weaknesses rather than developing and utilizing individual strengths - which puts the employee's self worth down and uses that to justify paying low salary - eventually one becomes fearful of making mistakes because of history of being personally attacked by management - the things you do here will mostly be self-learned and when you leave the company feeling like you haven't learned anything useful career-wise

6 people found this review helpful

Lead of Culture

Feedback is a gift, and we regard this review no differently--thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and your personal experience from your time with us at AlgaeCal. You have shared a number of areas of opportunity for us as a company, and we’re sincerely grateful for that. We are happy to report that some of the opportunities that you outlined have seen action or improvements over the past year. Starting in 2022, we have ushered in a new employee compensation analysis process to ensure that we are benchmarking salaries and perks to stay competitive with our local markets. As of 2021, we have introduced Pulse Surveys and interviews to give us insight into employee satisfaction levels and we are launching our new suite of eNPS questionnaires along with more frequent ‘mini-pulse surveys’ next month. We will continue to work with our Leadership Team to improve everyone’s skillsets across the board so that every employee is having an enjoyable experience with AlgaeCal. Your feedback is invaluable and helps us on our continuous journey of striving for Excellence!

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

MOST TOXIC WORKPLACE EVER

Jun 21, 2022 - Bone Health Consultant in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

free occasional goodies / lunch and other than that there is no other pro of joining this company. Please save yourself from the horror and trauma of joining this company and please do not be blinded by the fake reviews that they compel their employees to write.

Cons

I worked here for 3 years and trust me I can write like 100 Cons of working at AlgaeCal as this was the most toxic workplace I have ever worked at. - Please don't be fooled by the nice reviews up top as the internal employees are periodically asked to write these nice charming reviews on Glassdoor by the HR and those who did not want to risk losing their jobs would absolutely had to do what the company asked for. - MICROMANAGING was at its worst . The manager insisted on seeing / tracked the calendar details so they know what I was doing and who I was talking to. He used to track my Slack status every morning and message me a ARE U THERE?! YOU HAVEN'T BEEN ONLINE FOR COUPLE OF MINUTES?! If you don't trust your people to get the work done. why did you hire them in the first place ? If you were convinced they could do the work and hired them and now they not delivering... you should look at yourself as a leader. -Micromanagement can lead to (has led to) trauma for the person at the receiving end, and even worse - turn them into someone who has issues trusting people and believing in words of affirmation even in safe places. It's distressing, it's unnecessary, and one will need therapy to put that kind of abuse behind them. -ZERO WORK LIFE BALANCE - VERY LOW COMPENSATION offered, even though they claim to be at par with market standards, the other companies are paying way more than what they are offering (real time experience I had after leaving this company as I was recognized for my skills and educational background and was offered double the salary in comparison to what I was making here) -HIGH LEVEL OF WHITE SUPREMACY , if you are a person of color please forget that you will be promoted at this company . During my 3 years I visibly saw the extreme level of favoritism and that makes the culture at AlgaeCal extremely toxic and suffocating. - To the people at HR - please save your hollow reply on this post as there is nothing you can say which would be genuine and would change my perspective on the horrific and traumatic experience I had working at AlgaeCal. If this is how you treat your employee of 3 years then I really feel sorry for all the new joiners that are going to fall in the trap that this Company is.

7 people found this review helpful

Lead of Culture

Hello–and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your time with us at AlgaeCal. I’m sorry you didn’t have a great experience during your time here. As a fast-moving, fast-growing company there is indeed a need for team members to have a high level of hunger, enthusiasm, and flexibility–and we fully understand that an environment like this may not be for everyone. Related to the above comments about feeling micromanaged–we try our best to offer flexibility in all roles, but in the Bone Health Consultant (customer service representative) role, it is necessary to be on time, as phone coverage and the team depend on it. For any fully remote employees, the Leads will first reach out via Slack if someone is late. Some of the other comments and feedback in your review are very serious and do not align with the experience that we’re striving to provide to all employees. I’m sorry for the way that things ended for you with AlgaeCal, but I want you to know that we are always here to connect, we’re always looking for ways to improve, and are always available to hear your feedback in realtime–no judgment! Just drop us a line at culture@algaecal.com and we can set up a call or convo. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we wish you the best in your career.

6. 5.0

Great company

May 13, 2022 - Bone Health Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great Team Good atmosphere within the team Good training

Cons

High volume of calls everyday

1 person found this review helpful

Lead of Culture

We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback! We appreciate you, and all of our Bone Health Consultants, so much--you all work so tirelessly to serve and care for our customers, and it means the world to the Team :)

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work!

May 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

AlgaeCal promotes a very supportive culture. Teammates are always ready to help each other out, treat each other with kindness and it creates a very positive environment to work in. The culture team goes above and beyond to set up monthly team events, as well as virtual events that help the team in-house and remote stay connected. The company supports professional development through participation in conferences in Canada and abroad, as well as courses related to the employees fields. There are many growth opportunities with the company, and career pathing is facilitated where employees and a senior leader work together to carve out their path with the company. The leaders are very open to new ideas from the team. We have weekly team lunches and a very casual dress code which I love. Overall, it's a great place to work with wonderful people. The company invests a lot to retain employees and show they're valued.

Cons

My experience with AlgaeCal has been a very positive one and I've been lucky to work with such a great team. Any cons are ones I've felt comfortable enough to speak with my lead about and how we can change or make improvements.

Lead of Culture

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts! We love to hear that you've been enjoying your time at AlgaeCal--we sincerely believe that the culture is a reflection of the team, so thank you for your contributions and care :)

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Found my career home at AlgaeCal

May 2, 2022 - Director of Special Projects in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

AlgaeCal has an amazing culture that isn’t just a bunch of words on a wall. My entire hiring process and the first 4 months of my employment have 100% supported that this company lives their values. The transparency about the company including financials and goals that applies to all levels and is so different from all other organizations that I have worked with. This information is openly shared on a monthly basis. Everyone sees how their role is supporting and advancing their company goals.

Cons

Everyone is treated equally regardless of title so if you prefer a corporate culture where executives are treated better than the rest of the company then AlgaeCal would not be a good fit for you. There is also a high expectation of employees to always be looking for ways to work smarter and better. So for someone that just wants to do the same tasks the same way forever it would not be a good fit.

Lead of Culture

Thank you for the kind words and for taking the time to share your experience! We love to hear that you're settling in and finding your footing. Here's to another fantastic four months, and beyond :)

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic and fake

Apr 29, 2022 - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

occasional free lunches. That is literally it.

Cons

Worst workplace I have ever been. CEO and COO are fake and cold. When companies say "we are like a family" RUN! The only thing that was nice was a free lunch here and there. Low pay but expect you to eat, sleep, live breath AlgaeCal. It's honeslty a cult.

5 people found this review helpful

Lead of Culture

Thank you so much for taking the time to share some feedback with us! While by no means can I promise that AlgaeCal is perfect, we really do welcome the opportunity to improve–and we can’t do that without people like you and the feedback you graciously share. Firstly, by the sounds of it, your personal AlgaeCal experience wasn’t/isn't the greatest. For that, I apologize, and I do want you to know that we’re here if you want to connect in real-time–just shoot me an email at culture@algaecal.com and we can set up a chat. To address your feedback directly, let’s start with the Pro—lunch! Currently, we are serving up lunch at our Headquarters three times a week, the office kitchen is always stocked with rotating snacks and breakfast foods, and company-wide we have smaller Biz Unit Lunches once a month. I’m glad to know that you’re enjoying/enjoyed this little perk! On to the Cons–we don’t have a COO at AlgaeCal, but it is definitely our goal that each and every one of us does our best to live our values each and every day. If you are seeing something that doesn’t align with that, please reach out to your Senior Lead or barring that, a member of the Culture Team. As a good life practice, we should always shoot for ‘zero conflict debt’. Personally, I like to think of AlgaeCal as a ‘high-performance sports team’, as opposed to a “family” but everyone’s experience is unique--the most universal feedback we get here at AlgaeCal is that ‘The People’ are the best part. It’s understandable if teammates strike up friendships that make them feel close like family, but we leave that up to the individuals. Just this past February we dug deep to make sure that our wage bands are competitive with market rates. Across the board, we’re proud to say that we are sitting on par or above when compared to other employers. We’ll repeat this salary comparison at the start of each year to make sure that we remain competitive. We are a value-based, culture-driven company. We make sure to highlight that from our job postings, through our vigorous hiring processes, and really get granular with it during a deep dive in the first weeks of training. AlgaeCal is a super fast-moving environment with an entrepreneurial spirit. We have no judgment if this style of work environment isn’t everyone’s cup of tea or if we’re not the best team for you. Once again, we love feedback–good or negative, it all serves to give us the opportunity to improve, so for that, I sincerely appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience.

10. 5.0

10th Job's the Charm

Aug 24, 2021 - Customer Service Representative
      Business Outlook

Pros

A tremendous amount of trust and latitude is offered to you; AlgaeCal provides all the tools to succeed with training that is thorough and well planned. You are free from micro-management and never forced to endure trial by fire. AlgaeCal is a company for those looking for a career, not a job. The company is structured to allow individuals to prove themselves - there are always opportunities to excel and grow and the right candidates will thrive. Each day is a joy to share with team members. AlgaeCal does a tremendous job filtering out unworthy applicants to ensure good people are always at the table. The hiring process is unique and offers you a chance to showcase your talents and get a feel for the culture. There is real effort to live and practice company values and I feel comfortable sharing honest feedback and suggestions.

Cons

Operations are inefficient and utilize an unnecessary array of programs.

1 person found this review helpful

HR Manager

Thank you for such an honest and thorough review. We love that you can see yourself growing your career at AlgaeCal! Truly makes our hearts sing :) We'd love to pick your brain about streamlining our processes--this is exactly the kind of feedback that allows us to improve! If you're willing, please reach out to your Lead, C-Suite or even People & Culture--any ideas/suggestions are welcome!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 64 Reviews

AlgaeCal Reviews FAQs

AlgaeCal has an overall rating of 4.1 out of 5, based on over 65 reviews left anonymously by employees. 78% of employees would recommend working at AlgaeCal to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, AlgaeCal employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at AlgaeCal. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

78% of AlgaeCal employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated AlgaeCal 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.0 for culture and values and 4.1 for career opportunities.

Popular Careers with AlgaeCal Job Seekers