Interview Question

Software Engineer Interview

-Vancouver, BC

Meta

implement sqrt without using math libray

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

9 Answers

This is the way to go. Fast inverse square root as used in Quake III. float Q_rsqrt( float number ) { long i; float x2, y; const float threehalfs = 1.5F; x2 = number * 0.5F; y = number; i = * ( long * ) &y; // evil floating point bit level hacking i = 0x5f3759df - ( i >> 1 ); // what the fuck? y = * ( float * ) &i; y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 1st iteration // y = y * ( threehalfs - ( x2 * y * y ) ); // 2nd iteration, this can be removed return y; }

Herve Thu Timone on

I wouldn't know about this algorithm, but I can think of a (definitely slower than this one) bisection algorithm to find the root of x^2 = number.

Ehsan on

Often what they are looking for is a programming data structures oriented solution. Such as using binary search to find sq root etc.

fkl on

I would have implemented either Taylor or MacLaurin series, centered at an integer number that is closest to the number that you want to find the square root for, such that the square root of this integer is clean. So if you wanted to find the square root of 8.5, I would centre the series at 9 (sqrt(9) = 3), then compute the series at that point. I'd probably choose between 8 and 10 terms, as that is what is used in any scientific calculator.

Raymond Phan on

Actually, to add to that, I wouldn't be able to include 8 - 10 terms, as that would rely on the square root operation itself.... so I'd have to rely on a linear approximation.

Raymond Phan on

I think exp and ln still require a Math library. How about using Newton's method to find the root of f(x) = x^2 - a, where x is the solution (the sought square root) and where a is the number for which you want to find the square root?

Afsheen Ghorashy on

poop

Anonymous on

For detailed explanation of the algorithm, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root

Herve Thu Timone on

e^((ln(x))/2)

IT on

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.