NOVA (Japan) Interview Questions | Glassdoor.ca

NOVA (Japan) Interview Questions

Interviews at NOVA (Japan)

2.2

Instructor English Interview

Interview

Very easy. You are asked why you want to go to Japan, when and your current job. You have two teaching simulations; one where the interviewer acts like a low English level adult and one where he acts like a child. Overall pretty easy interview. Make sure to dress up.

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in America, IL (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) (America, IL (US)) in May 2020.

Interview

I was video Skype and asked about my knowledge of the company and my teaching experience. I was also asked to demonstrate my teaching skills. I have been teaching for years.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the company ? Along with my teaching views and experiences .   Answer Question

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) in October 2019.

Interview

The process was really fast. After completing the online application, I received an email the next day that asked for my cover letter, resume, and copies of my passport page and college degree. I received an interview offer and documents detailing the company and position within 24 hours of submitting the required paperwork.

The interviewer was really precise and detailed about the position. It lasted about 45 minutes on Skype. We talked about what's expected of an independent contractor, job placement, the visa process, and my teaching experience. Surprisingly, I was asked to do a brief demo with an adult lesson. The interviewer was the adult Japanese student, and I was the teacher. My demo wasn't perfect, but the interviewer gave advice on what I could've done differently.

I received the job offer three days later.

ESL Teacher Interview

Application

I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) in August 2018.

Interview

I interviewed in answer to a job ad for a specific school instead of through the company in general. The interviewer was friendly and kept it brief. However, I did not get a reply after the interview for several weeks.

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) (Los Angeles, CA (US)) in August 2018.

Interview

The application and interview process was very fast. I was asked to interview perhaps a day after I had submitted my CV. The Skype interview itself was alright, and it lasted about 40 minutes long. Although, my boyfriend had done the interview the day before with a different person, and his took roughly twenty minutes. The strangest part of the interview was when the interviewer asked me to introduce myself as if it were my first day as an instructor in a class full of students, and she pretended to be a Japanese child. That portion seemed to go on unnecessarily long (because it was the most uncomfortable), but otherwise, the role-play was pretty painless. I was offered a position the day after.

English Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) in May 2018.

Interview

Unlike the interviews I read here, there was not much company introduction. Rather, the interviewer asked me "What do you know about Nova"

We did a few demo lessons (literally takes 3-5 minutes each. don't freak out here. First one was to introduce yourself and your hobbies and try to get the student to do the same. Next, explain the different between borrow and lend.
    Basically, smile, speak clearly, do gestures, and you will be good.

Instructor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan).

Interview

I applied via mail, went to Boston, and interviewed in person. It was informal and the questions were ordinary ones which weren't too difficult to answer. It took about a half an hour.

English Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan) in November 2017.

Interview

Interview process was the same as everyone else here has described. I've applied to and been offered several other positions so I have some more perspective on Nova's process. First off, they expect to be able to determine if you're a good fit through a single cover letter and 30 minute interview. That means that you have basically one chance to prove that you're worthy, but on the flip side, they are willing to hire someone based on very little information. With other companies, if I didn't have to travel to meet face to face for many hours, after several other conversations, then I had multiple skype interviews and chances to show off my writing skills and lesson plans. Before I describe the skype interview, I want to say that I've been offered 4 other jobs, based on what these other companies have seen in me through a several month process, and so I think I am probably qualified enough to work for Nova. I was not offered a job solely because of this very bizarre interview. The recruiter I spoke to was very awkward, not talkative or excited to be speaking with me whatsoever. He would go off on tangents about the weather or time zones and trail off and look into the distance. I was trying to seem engaged and ask questions, which seemed only to fuel his off topic mutterings. He spoke 70% of the time, and really only asked me about why Japan and why Nova. And then, the role play. Like I've said already, I've been through this process many times now. I've done the role plays. They are always difficult and they are always awkward. But this one was different. He IMITATED a Japanese person. He said "I've been around Japanese people for many years so I'm pretty good at this by now." And he did the accent, nodding and saying "hai," saying "ohhh" in that yellow-face way. I've had other interviewers ask me to treat them like a beginner, and even call them by a Japanese first name. The accent is not necessary! Trust me! I was so caught off guard and disturbed that I really bombed the role play. Didn't get an offer, fine by me. I get the role play thing, but I do not want to work for a company whose Western employees display such disrespect toward Japanese people. Straight up offensive and racist. Glad to not be working there.

Tutor Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan).

Interview

Was more of an info session then an interview, they weren't hiring for February yet so I feel that was the most likely reason I did not get an offer.

English Inst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at NOVA (Japan).

Interview

They asked me a series of question and said that I could only answer in three words which I thought was strange. I presumed they were looking for vocabulary skills but I also think they had a lot of people to interview that day. Who knows.

Interview Questions

• Describe a difficult situation with a roommate and how you resolved it.   1 Answer

Upload a CV to easily apply to jobs from anywhere. It's simple to set up.