Interview Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

-Cupertino, CA

Digital Foundry

Improve this piece of code, loop tracing, very basic printing problem

AnswerAdd Tags

Interview Answers

10 Answers

Did they ask salary expectations? Do you think you might have been rejected because you asked for too much $? And you say you answered everything correctly you think?

Anonymous on

We didn't even get to salary expectations actually. Yea I'm very confident I answered everything correctly. It was definitely not a difficult assessment at all. I know it's kinda tough but try not to be discouraged, unfortunately it's not uncommon for you to ace a technical but still get rejected. All we did was have the technical thing on a google doc, then afterwards they explained what the company does, which is build custom software essentially, and then asked if I had questions. Hopefully you guys have better luck than I did.

Anonymous on

I have an interview with them this upcoming next week, I am sorry it did not work out I am sure you did great. Makes me a bit nervous you aced it and didnt get a call back.

Anonymous on

Appreciate it, hopefully you have better luck than I did. Don't give up regardless

Anonymous on

Any SQL questions? Like anything more complex than just basic JOINS? Also what exactly does "improve this piece of code" mean if you are willing to share? How would one prepare for that?

Anonymous on

That would be awesome to have some insight currently I am trying to grind leetcode to prepare but unsure if that is a good method,

Anonymous on

Got a rejection email from someone who did not even interview me stating they appreciated the chance to learn more about me. Very odd, the questions were simple and not difficult , first one was a loop tracing , second was fizzbuzz question and third was improve 2 for loops and you could write out the code or write a paragraph on how you would fix it.

Anonymous on

Ok, for starters I didn't get any SQL questions at all. The person who commented above me got the same interview questions as me. The improve this code one was me given a nested loop(so n^2 runtime), and then they asked me how I would go about improving this code's runtime. The given code is a brute force solution so you'll probably be fine. Hopefully that gives more detail about the question. As for leetcode/other stuff, I don't think that really helps tbh. I mean, these questions were not difficult by any stretch. The fact that you even know what leetcode is and are probably using it tells me you probably have enough skill to get the questions right. Unfortunately, it's pretty common to ace a technical and still get rejected. Just try to keep your head up, these are tough times.

Anonymous on

Did you get to choose which programming language?

Language on

I guess, what happened is that I told them my strongest language was Java and they said you can write it in that language if you want. The "improve this piece of code" portion was in python, the loop tracing was in Java I believe, and the printing problem was open ended. But if you have programming experience you should be able to tell what the code does pretty easily, it's definitely not hard. Just know they might reject you regardless of if you do well. Maybe it's just the Covid-19 situation.

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.