BC Ambulance Service - BCEHS or BCAS should be ashamed | Glassdoor.ca
  1. "BCEHS or BCAS should be ashamed"

Current Employee - PCP Medic in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BC Ambulance Service full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Having worked with this organization for over 18 years. The ONLY positive is the people I've enjoyed working with. We cover each others backs out there and from strong friendships.

Cons

Bad disrespectful, demeaning, management. Part time people cover most of the Province and are for the most part outright abused. Grossly underpaid ( $2.00 an hour), no benefits for 6 years. For full time members it is much better as far as benefits etc. However, being grossly under supplied with ambulances and staff.

Advice to Management

Lobby the Liberal Government to get the resources to properly serve our population. Take care of your part time staff. Use what ever tactic you need to use to get the 22 ambulances we need in the lower mainland. To get a moment to eat your lunch or have a few minutes to kick back and relax. We regularly have to lie to out dispatch to get that break.

BC Ambulance Service2015-12-17

Other Employee Reviews

1. "New Changes"

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Dispatcher/Primary Care Paramedic in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BC Ambulance Service full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This job will change your perspective on life. More "meaningful" work than a 9-5 office job.

Cons

High stress, traumatic experiences, shift work, high workload

Advice to Management

Change isn't easy.

BC Ambulance Service2019-01-20
  2. "Paramedic"

Current Employee - Paramedic in North Vancouver, BC

I have been working at BC Ambulance Service full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Constant learning, Autonomy to make decisions, as much overtime as you can handle ( If you like that). Get to work with great people, the field is progressing.

Cons

High burnout, high injury rates, takes 5 years to become full time and paid a regular wage. Moral can be very low in some areas/ stations.

Advice to Management

Pay part time employees more than 2$ cad per hour to retain more workers. Overhaul Vancouver post requirements to becoming full time. People in small communities are not able to move to Vancouver for 5 years of commute to earn full time status which leaves them at part time/ although it can be busy there are no 'guaranteed' shifts, the job insecurity at part time level seems to cause higher rates of dissatisfaction.

BC Ambulance Service2019-04-12

Discover more reviews about BC Ambulance Service.