Specialist, Data Scientist, Converged Technology - (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada)
At Nutrien, our Purpose is to grow our world from the ground up and we do so with safety and integrity as our core values. Nothing is more important than sending our people home safe, every day.
Nutrien is a leading provider of agricultural products, services, and solutions. With approximately 20,000 employees world-wide, we are the largest producer of potash (by capacity) and one of the world’s largest producers of nitrogen and phosphate. We also operate a leading agriculture retail network that services over 500,000 growers.
We harvest the best. Diverse views and experience make us strong. We look for people who have a safety-first mindset, who are collaborative team players, who deliver on their commitments, who are innovators in search of a better way, and who believe in inclusion.
Working at Nutrien will provide you an opportunity to help us Feed the Future, and grow your career.
Nutrien’s IT department has created a dedicated team to implement our Digital Transformation in Potash! In partnership with our Potash Business Unit’s Next Generation Potash team, we are striving to make impactful and lasting change based on new and emerging technologies in our drive to be the safest and most productive potash producers we can be! To support our ambitious goals the Senior Specialist will join a group of advanced technology and analytics experts in IT.
Reporting to the Manager, Converged Technology within the Digital Transformation department in IT, the Senior Specialist will work hand in hand with our sites, the broader IT team, and a large range of Nutrien subject matter experts to develop and/or manage a variety of high priority projects requiring their specific expertise. Working in a structured Agile environment, they will identify and add their expertise to tackle complex and non-routine business problems based on business priorities resulting in sustainable change to the way we operate!
What you will do:
- Work with our sites, the broader IT team, and a large range of Nutrien subject matter experts to develop and manage a variety of high priority projects requiring their specific expertise
- Acquire knowledge of the Potash business to enable understanding of where data analytics and advanced computer technologies can help us improve our operations and safety
- Acquire and maintain a strong working knowledge of existing systems utilized within the potash business unit
- Develop solid solution designs utilizing a variety of proven methodologies including agile and algorithmic approaches
- Develop digital solutions for visualization, navigation, and automation of equipment
- Create, modify, integrate, test, and sustain solutions deployed in our technology stack using sensor integration, computer vision or numerous other data science techniques
- Hardware/Software Integration of source code/API supplied by sensor’s manufacture
- Develop test and support procedures for hardware and software system
- Documenting engineering research, developments, experiments, etc.
- Identify Technical challenges in Visualization and Automation of mining equipment, and explore and evaluate potential solution for them
- Maintain a working understanding of process control systems including products from Emerson and Rockwell (PLCs, HMIs, etc)
- Utilize software solutions and integrations with other enterprise systems including but not exclusive to the following: AWS (including Redshift), Python, C++, ROS, Microsoft Azure
- Assist the Next Generation Potash team in development, deployment and support of Potash IT and OT systems to further progress towards our strategies
- Be primarily based at one of our operating mines in Saskatchewan
What you will bring:
- 2 Year Technical Diploma/Degree
- 5 years of experience working with IOT, integrations, computer vision, data analytics or robotic / remote control systems (preferably in a mining or industrial environment)
- Strong verbal and electronic communication skills – The data scientist will be in constant contact with internal employees, and at times contractors and vendors, and require these skills to provide prompt, effective service
- Problem Solving skills
- Excellent hardware/software troubleshooting skills relating to the computer and data science
- Experience in developing and end to end hardware and software solutions
- Ability to work efficiently on their own, or as a member of a group
- Valid driver’s license
Are you a good match? Apply today!
Nutrien is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to creating an inclusive workplace. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other legally protected characteristics
This job will remain posted until filled. In accordance with Nutrien policies, you will be required to undergo a background check and may be required to undergo a substance test. While we appreciate all applications we receive, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
To stay connected to us and for the latest job postings and news, follow us on: LinkedIn, Facebook and Twitter
**EOE race/color/sex/sexual orientation/gender identity/disability/veteran