zulily Reviews

Updated Jun 16, 2020

2.5
zulily President Jeff Yurcisin
Jeff Yurcisin
Pros
  • "Great people to work with and fun company(in 50 reviews)

• "fast paced, and easy to make changes(in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to have a work life balance(in 59 reviews)

• "low pay compared to similar jobs in the area, picking takes a tole on your body(in 52 reviews)

1. "Truly a very collaborative environment"

5.0
    Former Employee - Senior Human Resources Business Partner in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Work/Life balance - engaged leaders - amazing team members - felt truly valued by my leaders and the teams I supported

Cons

- PTO is standard and not competitive to the market. - Parent company definitely is not adaptable to the quick pace that the Seattle/start-up market is used to.

2. COVID-19

"Extreme Nepotism in a sinking ship"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are some talented engineers who cares for the code base and the systems

Cons

I was in the Merchant and Vendor Tech team and I haven't seen such blatant nepotism in my 15 years in the industry. The VPs will force you to work on tickets and bug fixes, and she(/he/they) will get really mad if you look at data and suggest some meaningful changes. She (/he/they) had a couple of favorite PMs who will run around, reporting dissent who will later be publicly disciplined and shamed. If you are a manager and this gang find that you have some independent opinion, they will "push you out". All this is when the company is going through severe revenue drop, pre-COVID. To me this is plain dishonesty.

Continue reading
  3. "Not Traditional Assistant Buying"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer

I worked at zulily full-time for less than a year

Pros

flexibile schedule, people were nice, casual attire

Cons

It wasn't actual buying in the traditional retail sense. The business model sucks for the merchandisers and the vendors so no one really wants to participate in most things. Assistant buyer's role was just to get enough inventory to fill an event.

4. "Lack of Opportunity and Growth"

Current Employee - Studio

I have been working at zulily full-time

Pros

Working with creative and passionate professionals

Cons

Instability, lack of career growth

"Ask the right questions when you receive an offer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Nice people - tech education budget $1900 per yr - you'll have a $1000 equipment budget for your first year of employment, which isn't much because it's not vested in 5 years - Sounders sponsorship, so you can get good tickets for cheap

Cons

Company policies are a way less than ideal. I'm going to take this space for the candidate who's interested in working at Zulily: Ask the right questions before you accept their offer. Here's what I found during my time here: - Company doesn't give yearly bonuses - You'll have to pay for healthcare from your own pocket, it'll be literally deducted from your own salary. And the amount you pay for it changes based on how healthy you are. - Ask to review the "Employee Handbook". You'll see the that you won't be able to quit your job immediately because there will be a lot at stake for you to peacefully leave. Employee Handbook states that you can quit your job any time you want to, but you also can't quit it before saying you're going prior to 14 days. - You can't cash in unused time offs, and you can't use them during your last 14 days of your employment - The company's 401k contributions are vested once a year, which is the beginning of the year. You will not be eligible for those contributions you've worked for the year unless you stay until next year - your sign on bonus is vested in 2 years (this is typical especially with Amazon as well) - you are only eligible for stock awards after 3 months of your employment date and you'll have to wait for a year to wait for your stocks to get vested, so for your first period of vesting is actually 15 months, not 12.

Continue reading
  6. "Great people, Agile Work Environment, but Need improvement in management"

Former Employee - Assistant Buyer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love my team, my great mentor; great office view; allow to work from home

Cons

- Hard to get promoted - Work Life Balance is a challenge, depend which department you are on - Need improvement in pay and benefits - A little lost on where the company stands and headed

Continue reading
  7. "Stay away! Company culture and environment not friendly"

1.0
    Former Employee - Vendor Operations Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

There is a ping pong table

Cons

Worst company ever. Upper management does not care about your career growth. Retention is the worst. There are people leaving the team on almost a weekly basis.

Continue reading
  8. "good company bad pay"

4.0
    Former Employee - Picker

I worked at zulily full-time

Pros

friendly, respectful, clean environment, lots of PTO

Cons

low pay compared to similar jobs in the area, picking takes a tole on your body

9. "Friendly people and working environment"

4.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at zulily full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly people who supports each other. Work is chill and has decent level of flexibility on technical stack.

Cons

Since everyone is spoiled by Amazon's shipping speed. The long shipping window which is the inevitable side effect of the business model scares customers away.

10. "A lot of misery and very little pay"

1.0
    Former Employee - Copy and Print Associate

I worked at zulily full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of the people there were really nice.

Cons

Pay is far below the industry standard. Management across the board are passive-aggressive and slow to respond. A caste system is in place that rewards negging. There is no pride in work that is fussed with to this extent by people who just want to put their fingerprints on things. There is no real room for advancement since even managers there are just basically retail managers at an off-brand dollar store. I mean, who wants that job?

Found 824 reviews