xMatters Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Troy McAlpin

"Great Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great company for technical people. If you do not like meetings the way I do not like it, it will be a good place for you. It is normal to have a day with only a standup meeting and proper coding time for the rest of the day. It is not uncommon to have that for the entire week. And the meet-less Friday is a thing (you can decline any meeting request for Friday, no matter how important it seems). This leaves... enough room to get things done.

Cons

The meeting policy has its cons. When there is a meeting, it is usually a disaster. People are not used to them, so there are issues with sound, screen sharing, staying on subject, double booked rooms,... Granted, I am yet to see a company with efficient meetings. But when people are not used to them, the meetings are the worst.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, but do more guerrilla marketing. The top-down marketing campaigns are not really working in the field.

xMatters2017-11-20

"Hard-working, low-ego work environment with a Great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

This has been my best job in Tech so far. xMatters is on its way up. The company has been around for more than 10 years and has a solid customer base. It also managed to maintain a "startupy" feel that makes working here extremely enjoyable. What I particularly like about working here: - Very talented people that will help bring your skills up - I've always believed in the saying "if you're the smartest person... in the room, you're in the wrong room", and it's going to be very difficult to be the smartest person in here, or at least it's going to take you a while. - Working with the most recent Backend and Frontend technologies. - Flexible work from home policy - This was a pain point for a while and has been recently addressed by management. - The company is very serious about work/life balance. - Working on your own ideas and competing with others in a monthly hackathon. - Beer Friday / regular Pub outings / Fully stocked kitchen - Amazing central location on Granville and W. Pender with many lunch/happy hour options around.

Cons

xMatters is not active on the Vancouver Tech scene or the Open Source community. The company doesn't host meetups and doesn't participate a lot in the local tech events/conferences. This is unfortunate because we have a lot of extremely talented engineers that can contribute positively to the ever-growing Vancouver community.

Advice to Management

Don't compromise on the cultural fit when hiring people as the company grows. There is a great culture at xMatters right now and I'd hate to see that change.

xMatters2017-04-08

"Does anyone know what the product is?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

- Lots of smart people in the office - Benefits and perks are good - If you know who to ask you can always get help - Kitchen is well stacked

Cons

- If you don't know who to ask you can not always get help - Lots of development teams, so knowledge sharing about new product features is rapidly going down. Very few people have good knowledge of the entire product. And product is extremely complicated. - No transfers between teams, so you are stuck working in the one area forever - Lots of new hires either don't know what is expected from them in terms of... culture or they simply do not care. Management does not seem to notice this. - As part of then development team you are expected to do release to production. And you got hard deadline. - Some teams are experiencing high turnover - No work from home policy (and it was always one of the top issues raised internally via ideas@). How long does it take to review and make a decision? - Some promotions (lower and mid level) management raised few eyebrows

Advice to Management

It seems that company culture needs to be reinvigorated. And think more carefully who deserves promotion. There were some misses recently

xMatters2017-01-04

"OK, but could be bettter"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation package, very sane work-life balance, some really talented engineers.

Cons

Lot's of legacy software, unclear architectural decisions, inter-team siloing, some people are not so friendly,

Advice to Management

Invest in product architecture

xMatters2016-10-06

"Awesome company! Awesome engineering culture! I'm happy!"

Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters

Pros

I've only been with xMatters for less than a year but I have been having a lot of fun so far! Let me enumerate the reasons why I love it here: 1. There is a strong engineering culture here at xMatters. We dedicate day of every month (hack day) to work on something that we like - and we get to brag about it. Everybody respects this day and the managers ensure that they clear up our schedule to make sure we get... to participate on it. We also get yearly budget to upgrade our hardware and get technical training. 2. There's an abundance of free food, snacks, and "beverages" here at the office. We often get free lunches in exchange for an hour of brown bags. There's also retro lunches and random lunches. 3. We make sure we repay our technical debts. We dedicate a percentage of our sprint to work with our technical debt backlog. We also spend some time during our sprints to work on engineering tasks with the goal of making the life of the engineers a bit easier. 4. xMatters is a customer-obsessed company. We ensure that we dedicate a percentage of our sprint to provide support to customers. 5. Most importantly, I feel that our CEO really cares for the rest of us peons. I find this very rare for a company. Troy listens to our feedback and takes actions immediately (within weeks, not years!) when something needs his attention. Troy makes sure he's always within reach and is willing to engage conversation when it is required.

Cons

1. Sick leave policy could be better. It could be tough for people that have kids getting sick often. 2. No official work from home policy. Recognise that sometimes, engineers are more productive working from home to avoid distractions :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work Troy! Maintain the awesome culture.

xMatters2016-07-09

"A good place to develop and grow yourself"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at xMatters

Pros

People work hard and show respect to each other, give their best to support each other. Good compensation

Cons

Product isn't very lean due to legacy System.

xMatters2016-05-02

"Lots of great people to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment, competent management, good work-life balance

Cons

Matt is too good at darts.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

xMatters2015-04-29