xMatters Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Aug 26, 2019

4.2
xMatters CEO & Chairman Troy McAlpin
Troy McAlpin

"Does anyone know what the product is?"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

- Lots of smart people in the office - Benefits and perks are good - If you know who to ask you can always get help - Kitchen is well stacked

Cons

- If you don't know who to ask you can not always get help - Lots of development teams, so knowledge sharing about new product features is rapidly going down. Very few people have good knowledge of the entire product. And product is extremely complicated. - No transfers between teams, so you are stuck working in the one area forever - Lots of new hires either don't know what is expected from them in terms of... culture or they simply do not care. Management does not seem to notice this. - As part of then development team you are expected to do release to production. And you got hard deadline. - Some teams are experiencing high turnover - No work from home policy (and it was always one of the top issues raised internally via ideas@). How long does it take to review and make a decision? - Some promotions (lower and mid level) management raised few eyebrows

Advice to Management

It seems that company culture needs to be reinvigorated. And think more carefully who deserves promotion. There were some misses recently

xMatters2017-01-04

"Great engineer, ambitious manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time

Pros

If you're an engineer willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done, you'll find yourself surrounded by lots of senior and like-minded works extremely hard. Your direct manager (the team lead) is typically the one have the best technical skills and lead by example. Your CEO is very determined and works probably the hardest. You'll enjoy fair compensation and perks like 555 day or annual company kick off

Cons

CEO can talk about culture for hours but only people know who's the jerk, as the company grows, smart people with greater personal ambition got promoted into manager role, but smart people not always makes a great manager, esp. when the intelligence is used for personal gains like title and compensation.

Advice to Management

Promote manager has a soul, not the one with huge selfish ambition of climbing corporate ladder

xMatters2017-01-02

"OK, but could be bettter"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good compensation package, very sane work-life balance, some really talented engineers.

Cons

Lot's of legacy software, unclear architectural decisions, inter-team siloing, some people are not so friendly,

Advice to Management

Invest in product architecture

xMatters2016-10-06

"Awesome company! Awesome engineering culture! I'm happy!"

Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters

Pros

I've only been with xMatters for less than a year but I have been having a lot of fun so far! Let me enumerate the reasons why I love it here: 1. There is a strong engineering culture here at xMatters. We dedicate day of every month (hack day) to work on something that we like - and we get to brag about it. Everybody respects this day and the managers ensure that they clear up our schedule to make sure we get... to participate on it. We also get yearly budget to upgrade our hardware and get technical training. 2. There's an abundance of free food, snacks, and "beverages" here at the office. We often get free lunches in exchange for an hour of brown bags. There's also retro lunches and random lunches. 3. We make sure we repay our technical debts. We dedicate a percentage of our sprint to work with our technical debt backlog. We also spend some time during our sprints to work on engineering tasks with the goal of making the life of the engineers a bit easier. 4. xMatters is a customer-obsessed company. We ensure that we dedicate a percentage of our sprint to provide support to customers. 5. Most importantly, I feel that our CEO really cares for the rest of us peons. I find this very rare for a company. Troy listens to our feedback and takes actions immediately (within weeks, not years!) when something needs his attention. Troy makes sure he's always within reach and is willing to engage conversation when it is required.

Cons

1. Sick leave policy could be better. It could be tough for people that have kids getting sick often. 2. No official work from home policy. Recognise that sometimes, engineers are more productive working from home to avoid distractions :)

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work Troy! Maintain the awesome culture.

xMatters2016-07-09

"Great company"

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

Company invests heavily in people and really believes in how it thinks of itself. Growing rapidly and everyone is encouraged to speak up if there's something that can be improved.

Cons

High engagement expectation, which sometimes can mean long hours. Still going through a period of transition which means some processes are not always smooth or well understood.

Advice to Management

Keep being open to input and keep trying new things. Ditch the EVO system as it puts undue stress on folks who already have a lot on their plate and doesn't have a lot of buy-in from the rank-and-file.

xMatters2016-05-15

"A great place to make an impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Victoria, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

xMatters is one of those software companies that is big enough to be stable and professional but small enough that you can make an meaningful contribution to the bottom line.

Cons

We're growing at a good pace and things are always moving quickly, so things are constantly changing.

xMatters2016-05-09

"A good place to develop and grow yourself"

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at xMatters

Pros

People work hard and show respect to each other, give their best to support each other. Good compensation

Cons

Product isn't very lean due to legacy System.

xMatters2016-05-02

"A close-nit community of experts"

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

Vancouver office has a very robust culture for a fairly conservative and established firm.

Cons

A growing international presence will require international Operations and Support team in the future.

xMatters2016-04-21

"Exceptional company"

Current Employee - Consultant in Victoria, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very dedicated and supportive staff both internally and externally. The company is dynamic, growing exponentially and opportunities abound.

Cons

There is more work than time typically. Sometimes difficult to get an owner for something across several department where it is impacting.

Advice to Management

Support and enablement of middle management to make more decisions and drive more process would alleviate some of the pressure on senior management.

xMatters2015-06-01

"Lots of great people to work with"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great working environment, competent management, good work-life balance

Cons

Matt is too good at darts.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work

xMatters2015-04-29