xMatters Reviews

4.5
xMatters CEO & Chairman Troy McAlpin
Troy McAlpin
Pros
Cons
  • "No official work from home policy(in 3 reviews)

• "There seem to be a few growing pains, but nothing that can't be sorted out(in 3 reviews)

1. COVID-19

"Fantastic Company, even better during COVID-19"

Current Employee - Senior Java Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Already the best company I have worked for (in 20 years), the way xMatters has handled COVID-19 must be nothing short of exemplary. We were immediately allowed to work from home, and meanwhile the company took a fresh look at our regular WFH policy and completely overhauled it for this new era we live in. Even during this crisis where some small discretional benefits such as free lunches were dialled down, as management have gotten an understanding of cashflows these have been quickly re-instated. Honestly right now I wouldn't want to work for any other company. Do yourself and your career a favour, and check out xMatters.

Cons

Personally I have experienced none. But perhaps you may join a team with a project that doesn't allow you to grow after a while. But then, we encourage mobility between teams. So not a biggie.

July 2, 2020ceo

:) Thank you for sharing your experience. This has been a tough few months for every company to manage through. I appreciate you sharing your perspective on how xMatters has handled the crisis and your experiences so far here at xMatters. Please keep contributing your thoughts and advice on how we can continue to do better.

2. "Best company I've worked for"

Former Employee - Senior Database Administrator in Victoria, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

* Strong leadership * Great employees * Excellent product * Technical debt reduction was built in to sprints * Documentation is superb * Benefits that are atypically generous: RRSP matching, vacation, snacks, company trips, training, medical/dental etc * Lots of technologies and processes to learn, if you're interested

Cons

Missing deadlines had heavy impact on other teams, so you had ensure you planned really well before the sprint. Not much of a con, really.

June 29, 2020ceo

Thank you for the review and your many years of service! I appreciate that you spotted the fake review and felt compelled to say something. I appreciate the time span you were with xMatters we went through much change with big deadlines and really difficult work. Thank you for hanging in there and helping us build our awesome service! I suppose you could say we built it brick by brick!

3. "Good company to work for"

4.0
    Former Employee - UI Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, good work-life balance, smart engineers, really good team building.

Cons

Teams organization can cause frustration and lost time. Teams sometimes step on each other's toes and do not communicate enough.

June 29, 2020ceo

Thank you for the review and your advice. It's very timely as we get bigger and as we change our work style. Moving to Flexible Work locations (office, home, partial, full remote) we are carefully experimenting and improving the way we work and coordinate with one another. I like the idea of having team members (cross team) designing together especially when it's a UI heavy team and a Java/DB heavy team (e.g., front/back ends). We appreciate the feedback, we are sorry to see you go but we wish you the very best in your next step.

4. COVID-19

"Amazing culture and a stellar product"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s during difficult times like these that true leadership shines. xMatters has not only been a great workplace during this pandemic but also an amazing support network. The main reason behind that is a truly sane culture and a strong “same team” message. The culture is not only slogans and free snacks, but real tangible actions like : - Healthy goals that encourage team cooperation - flexibility and trust: flexible hours are a blessing. especially now - transparency in terms of direction

Cons

The only cons I see is the couple of 1 star reviews on this page. I usually don’t leave reviews but decided to do it this time when I saw that. I don’t understand who in good faith would do that at a company like xMatters.

May 15, 2020ceo

Thank you for your review. Honestly, this just makes my day. I appreciate that you enjoy the culture and that you are contributing actively to it. Keep up the great work and please keep assisting others where you stand.

"Solution Architect"

Former Employee - Solutions Architect in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Great culture - very diverse and multicultural people - learning opportunities beyond the norm - ability to express issues or concerns to anyone including one on ones with CEO (that actually cares and listens more then talking) - ability to work with cutting edge technology and systems - ability to switch between roles if you have interest in other things (support to developer or pre-sales) - BBQs, team field trips, and cultural events throughout the year - birthday cakes every month to celebrate each person's birthday in the office for the month - ability to work in West (Vancouver, Victoria) or East (Montreal) of Canada for development positions I worked at this company for last 5 years and seen the same culture throughout the growth. They care about you and your well being. They also make sure they invest in your skillsets and keep you happy in every way possible.

Cons

Nothing really negative to say about the company itself. Still growing and with growth comes adaption to changes, some people leave due to too many changes and others embrace them. Either way, company will figure things out as it grows.

August 27, 2019ceo

Thank you for the review and your long term contribution to xMatters - we are sorry to see you go. We appreciate the guidance on encouraging more sharing of information to and from the front lines as well as making sure we focus on Same Team and not letting silos creep in as we grow.

"Why is it that most of the negative reviews are from engineering department?"

4.0

I worked at xMatters full-time

Pros

What is causing those negative reviews? Your coworkers or management?

Cons

Place is run like an army. You do what you are told and you don't challenge your superiors.

May 1, 2019ceo

I appreciate that your experience was not what you had hoped for or wanted from xMatters. We do run an agile, scrum organization so "like an army" is not a phrase I've heard before about our engineering organization or our leadership team. There can be a need to rise to an occasion for a sprint deliverable to a critical bug fix but we've continued to invest in leadership training and discussion around "best idea wins" and the best idea is often the person closest to the problem (not a "commander"). So this comment doesn't synch well with our training, experience or perception. That said, we'll take it on board, conduct a survey of our teams and sort out if we have bad processes creeping in. Anyone that actually has worked at xMatters knows that we have culture training that doesn't support the comment above and the are all asked to communicate counter-culture behavior so we can improve.

"Still one of the best tech jobs in Vancouver"

Former Employee - Senior Java Developer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at xMatters full-time for more than a year

Pros

I left xMatters about a week ago and had some time to reflect on my experience there. I can't speak for other cities but I truly believe this is one of the best tech jobs in Vancouver at the moment. - The product is interesting. You're developing a platform that will be used by your peers (devs / DevOps) so your input is always valuable. - The incident management space is really hot right now. Look at the acquisitions being made recently of smaller competitors (VictorOps, OpsGenie, etc.) - Office culture is great and your concerns are usually heard by management. If you're frustrated with something you need to speak up. No matter how great your team-lead/manager is - they're not mind-readers. - There is a lot of work on career development and a true focus on trying to keep employees happy. It's not out of pure kindness - they just understand that if you're happy, you work better and everyone wins. - Work/life balance is a real thing there: flexible hours, work from home, etc. - Annual kick-off trips. This is a week-long event where you get to fly to somewhere warmer (Vegas, San Diego, etc.) attend some talks during the day and party with your coworkers at night. - CEO is charismatic, relatable and knows what he's doing. He keeps everyone in the loop when it comes to company's strategy and current state. - Yeah, and what other people pointed out. Snacks and free coffee/tea and beer Fridays and pub nights around the city. - Oh, I forgot this point. It may be a detail but you get to choose and order your own chair when you first join. Also, you get IntelliJ ( a blessing for a Java developer) and Macbooks. They really invest in giving you the best tools for the job.

Cons

I can't think of major cons that aren't being worked on actively by management but I just noticed I went crazy on the pros. So I need to think of some valid cons. - The small round of layoffs mentioned by other reviews is definitely a bummer. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the industry. Most companies that have been around for 10+ years have done it at some point. - The company's name isn't known. That comes from the nature of how they're doing business. They rely on salespeople and have big enterprise customers unlike other competitors that rely on marketing and have a bigger number of smaller customers.

November 1, 2018ceo

Thanks for the feedback and we are sorry to see you go. I appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with xMatters even though you decided to move into a new career choice. Loud and clear on more participation in developer events...more to come.

"Changing Environment"

2.0

I worked at xMatters full-time

Pros

- Great engineering culture - Interesting and unique product - Nice and well-located offices - Free snacks, coffee, tea - Drinks on Fridays

Cons

- Bad work politics in some departments - Proper structure and leadership is missing in certain areas, which is the reason why some teams can't get on the same page - New investor came on board, change of business direction - Group layoffs

August 13, 2018ceo

While we appreciate feedback from former employees we just don't know the validity or accuracy of the information. We do have a great, unique product but there has been no change in direction since our new investor joined. We also have a great engineering culture but we work hard to isolate and remove politics when we find it. No organization can claim to be free of politics; however the attributes of our culture (including the focus on "Same Team") are there to help us choose to work with one another focusing on our customer and on xMatters as a whole before the gain for ourselves. Not everyone is good with that culture so xMatters is not a perfect fit for all. Our decision to make changes in the size of our staffing was addressed below and necessary to prepare xMatters for our next phase of growth. Our management team (and structure) has largely been the same for 3 years and has matured nicely. We have a group of leaders that are focused on helping the people on their teams grow and helping the company succeed and serve its customers.

"Not all sunshine and roses; layoffs have burst the bubble"

2.0
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time

Pros

- transparent & involved CEO; can talk to anyone about practically anything and get real answers - everybody saying the right things about where the company & code is going - annual trips to Vegas for kickoff, other fun events - work/life balance and compensation are good

Cons

- Layoffs sap the energy, morale, and talent. Talented devs who weren't let go are looking outside for options before they're next. Expecting a talent drain over the next while as people figure out where they're going. - Talking the right talk, but actual coding & features are slowed way down by process, legacy, and more process. Very top-down approach to development.

July 9, 2018ceo

As the CEO I am responsible for any changes we make. I agree that we have very high quality co-workers and each is appreciated as our best asset. Each xPert is encouraged to ask me questions directly or suggest areas of improvement to me or dept. leads. We request and honor direct feedback. I am always skeptical of the validity of Glassdoor comments since they are not authenticated. While we continue to enjoy outstanding growth, I believe in being prepared for whatever the future may hold. Changes of any type can distract us from our goal however not addressing an issue will have larger impact down the road. We are well positioned to meet all of the business objectives I've discussed in our Confidential All Hands Meeting - please refer to those Confidential materials. We are a Scrum shop and have been for 6-7 years now. Could we be better and faster? Of course. We are actively reducing process (e.g., experimenting with Kanban on several teams and considering the "no planning" method which has its +/-'s). Also some teams are given just an SLO and allowed to design their own processes. We have also successfully invested in trimming code, removing bizarro items and transitioning to our new hosting providers. All major investments in velocity. Please contribute your observations and ideas directly to a VP or Eng Mgr so we can share what we're working on and collaborate on ideas to make xMatters even better.

"Is this company even real?"

Current Employee - Devops Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at xMatters full-time for less than a year

Pros

Before xMatters I was working in an amazing company with great culture and was a bit worried to switch that I could lose all the great perks I was used to have. After first week in xMatters I knew I made the right choice. xMatters is a great company where everything is just awesome. I have no idea where are they finding all these smart people but honestly every single employee is super smart, super nice, super helpful and just a great human beings everywhere :) The job itself is super interesting. The product is unique and is great to know that thanks to all the team effort, hundreds of our customers are resolving their high priority incidents and other stressful situations faster and more efficiently. The perks are just perfect. Very competitive salary, kick off meeting, WFH policy, snacks/drinks in the office, regular paid lunches (Probably 3-4 per month), family day, engineering day, quarterly team field trips, one day every month to work on project of your choice, RRSP, learning budget and some others I probably forgot. All in all there are many teams within xMatters (5-7 people/team), but we all work as a same team. Doesn't matter in which team you ended up working as they are all the same, with great team lead and team mates, you will just work on a different service. Definitely recommending to all my friends and I'm super happy I made the switch (Although the previous company was also amazing :) )

Cons

Really cannot think of any. It can sometimes be a bit too much on your plate but that's just the nature of the tech industry

May 21, 2018ceo

I am really pleased that your experience so far has been so great! Please look for opportunities to help us be better at our jobs, working with one another and progressing or culture. You can always use the "ideas@" alias or slack me with any new ideas or observations. Thank you!

Found 78 reviews