iQmetrix Employee Reviews about "growth opportunities"

Updated Jul 7, 2019

3.6
iQmetrix President and CEO Chris Krywulak (no image)
Chris Krywulak
Pros
  • "People I work with are awesome, company values work-life balance and lots of opportunity for growth(in 11 reviews)

• "They have done a good job during these pandemic times and the people who work there are good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Depending on which team you join, you may have great growth opportunities or none at all(in 5 reviews)

• "If you are not in Vancouver, you may as well forget about ever getting recognized for your hard work(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "growth opportunities"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Good company, great benefits"

4.0
    Former Employee - Designer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at iQmetrix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Culture is good. People are very friendly and there are a lot of events and activities that bring people closer. The company encourages a good work-life balance. There are regular fitness classes and a gym in the building.

Cons

The company went through a restructuring last year which involved team changes and layoffs. The morale was very bad at the time. I left the job because I wasn't motivated and challenged enough in my team. Depending on which team you join, you may have great growth opportunities or none at all.

Continue reading

"Not a permanent company"

2.0
    Current Employee - Developer
    No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits and staff. Good working/life balance

Cons

There are no growth opportunities. Salaries are not the best

"Small time company"

1.0
    Current Employee - Software Support Specialist in Regina, SK

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Professional staff, lots of benefits

Cons

There are no growth opportunities

"Great people, poorly managed"

I have been working at iQmetrix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The overall talent level of employees is excellent (particularly the front line staff) and the company culture allows for some flexibility in how you carry out your job. Benefits are good, work life balance is reasonable, and the office space is new and modern. If you're looking for an entry-level to intermediate developer, QA, or business analyst role and you don't have any immediate plans to progress your career, iQ can be a great place to do your job the way you want to without a lot of bureaucratic overhead, and with good tools at your disposal. I can't comment on other roles within the company as I'm less familiar with them.

Cons

I can echo previous reviews citing concerns over limited opportunities for growth. If you are a technically minded individual with leadership and/or people management skills, and you'd like to become more involved in product direction, the opportunities are few and far between. All of the director-type positions that have opened up during my time have been filled by outside hires, while people already in those positions have been with the company almost from the start. Meanwhile, the more junior leadership roles have been filled via appointments rather than internal postings (yes, there is an internal job board, but the team-lead type positions never get posted there for an open competition). This has led to a dearth of people with technical competency in leadership positions where important business decisions are made. You can see this in iQ's current search for a CTO. The fact that a technology company can operate for years without a CTO says something about how senior management values technical leadership in the first place, while the inability to groom anyone internally for this role speaks equally well to the sort of training and mentorship that up-and-coming employees receive. Meanwhile, if you do work on a product development team, you'll quickly find that all of your priorities are dictated to you by management (in spite of iQ's promise of autonomous teams), and your timelines are set in stone based on whatever the clients have demanded (regardless of whether the dates are feasible). This has led to a culture of near continuous crisis for some teams, where you cannot work on long term objectives because you're too busy applying band-aids to the latest round of short-sighted decision making.

"Create mediocre experiences"

2.0
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Regina, SK

I worked at iQmetrix full-time

Pros

Great people. Some of the brightest and technically competent people in their respective cities. Quite good work/life balance. Strong bottom line of workers. Office perks that you would expect from most tech companies. No overtime. Good Company Culture.

Cons

Alcohol available 24/7 on the premises has encouraged substance abuse. A blind eye is often turned to alcoholism or other instances of workplace intoxication. No opportunities for growth. Executive leadership has forced the company to stay as flat as possible and has recently attempted to implement a paradigm called "Holocracy". Holocracy effectively eliminates the need for the standard vertical corporate ladder-esque growth. Encourages employees to pick up responsibilities outside of their current domain and maintain ownership of those new responsibilities. Performance reviews are non-existent but with holocracy, performance could be correlated to how much of your "holocracy circle" you are responsible for and if you met those deliverables. No word yet on compensation adjustments for how big or small your circle will be. Hopefully Holocracy fills the middle management vacuum its intended to do. Below average middle management. Team leads chosen on technical ability and not "people skills" which makes it incredibly awkward to talk about... anything really... Non-existent technical leadership. This tech company has now gone on almost half a decade without a Chief Technology Officer. Technical leadership is spread across three individuals in the three development offices and will only ever be involved in a technical discussion if there is a massive problem or a brand new endeavour. Nobody actually knows what they do together but the speculation is that they are more or less product managers with technical ability. They act as the middlemen between the executive and development groups. Missing the mark on every new endeavour Nothing the company has created since its maiden product has been profitable. Poor Communication and Execution between teams. The development process is your typical production environment where projects are handed off when they are complete between teams with very little collaboration between them. When this works it can be efficient. But more often than not it turns into a blame game when one team expects something to work and it doesn't... or expectations are unfulfilled. No-one is willing to accept product ownership. Partially because then you become the target for when the higherups are mad and are looking for someone to be accountable. Or if you become the product owner you arn't actually able to influence the product. You may be strong armed by sales, support, or the executive to doing what they want and not what is best for the product. Or its because no one wants to be responsible for a poorly executed product. It's been brought up before in other reviews but compensation is questionable. It is often below the market average and speculation is because of the "perks" like employee vacations and free fruit.

iQmetrix Response

May 9, 2017Founder & CEO

Hello there, Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your time with us at iQmetrix. We take these reviews very seriously and I would like to take this opportunity to address some of the key points you’ve outlined in your review. Alcoholism: Typically, we find our beer on taps listed as a pro! However, we do not take alcoholism lightly in any regard. While we trust our employees as adults, have the proper policies in place for consumption, we still monitor the consumption levels (and times taken) daily in all locations. Where there has ever been a concern, this has immediately been address by someone on our People & Culture team. Growth Opportunities: This is a two-way street. There are ample growth opportunities available at iQmetrix, however timing is of the essence and both parties need to align to ensure this is a fit. We are taking strides to become more transparent in the available growth opportunities by recently creating an internal job board and transfer process. All leads at iQmetrix understand the value in the individuals on their team growing and are willing to make the sacrifice of losing a great person on their team to embody this. Holacracy: So far we feel the implementation has been a success. This is a slow work in progress and there is no perfect way to implement this new system of how to do work. Our hope is that it is a long term fix that might take time to see the ROI. We are actively requesting feedback via surveys and meetings to ensure that this rollout is as effective and in align with our culture as possible. Our people are our biggest asset. This new system of work will also address the concern regarding promotion of leads to the wrong roles and middle management issues. Holacracy is a transparent way of seeing what people are working on and accountable for, and will also bring more product ownership to certain teams. This is a shift but will ensure people are working on the things that align with their skillset. They will also have the ability to say no to accountabilities they are not comfortable undertaking. This transparency will also allow us to “fail fast” and make the right decisions sooner on endeavors that are not performing. Compensation: No secret, this has always been a pain point at iQmetrix. While we are not one of the “Big 5” that can offer large USD paycheques, we are still privately held and provide a ton of other compensation pieces that allow for long term financial health. We have a dedicated team consistently reviewing the processes, industry standards, best practices and annual performance reviews. Again, thank you for your valued input. You did not go unheard. We are actively trying to address all points mentioned as effectively and efficiently as possible. Wishing you all the best in your career and thank you for your contribution at iQmetrix. Christopher Krywulak

Viewing 1 - 4 of 5 English Reviews