eBay Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Jan 17, 2021

Found 142 of over 4,244 reviews

4.1
eBay CEO Jamie Iannone
Jamie Iannone
Pros
  • "Great benefits can move up if you work(in 160 reviews)

• "Very good benefits including health(in 147 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Work life balance could br improved(in 144 reviews)

• "Management struggles with decision making(in 114 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 3.0
      Current Employee

Nice place to work and feel like others around you are on the same level

Sep 5, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

No worry of them bouncing a pay cheque. They hire smart people who are usually a good fit for the team.

Cons

Work/life balance is non-existant, Reward system (bonus) is lacking.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee

Start listening or the ship is going to sink, even though it's already taking on water

Dec 27, 2008 -  in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

1. It's the fellow coworkers 2. RRSP matched by eBay, up to 4% 3. Stock purchase plan 4. Monthly (from metrics) and quaterly (changing to bi-yearly, based on company goals) bonuses

Cons

1. Upper management doesn't listen to any advice 2. Upper management makes stupid changes without thoroughly thinking it though 3. Work environment is too metric based. Case in point, there is a program that tells you when you need to take your lunch or break and if you don't do it at the time specified, you are deducted points. 2 min or 5 min over, it doesn't matter 4. Work life balance, if you do good, you get a good shift. Don't meet metrics once before shift bid is up, don't expect to get a good shift. Someone I know that use to work there got moved to late afternoon start from early mornings. Even though he said it conflicted with school, they still wouldn't budge. 5. Sick days, we don't get sick days. Sick one day, you get an occurrance. Get 5 - 7 occurrances and you can be terminated. 6. Can't take time off on the same day you request even though you have the banked hours. 7. Bugs. What can I say. There are bugs that have been open or known for a year and nothing is done. 8. Paypal and eBay customer service communication is the pits. Paypal issues get sent to eBay and vice versa on a daily basis with the offending rep saying "it's not a paypal issue" even though you are signed into paypal.com 9. Outsourced work. Sure, some company's outsource. When eBay started outsourcing, they said no jobs would be lost due to it. Well, jobs have been lost. 10. Outsourced workers (India and Phillipines) have a decent understanding of eBay issues. However, support for them has been removed last month. They now rely on this thing called "knowledge base". Good luck with that and helping a customer out with an unique issue. It's not always cookies and cache... 11. Closure or outsource of several key departments. Image services, account closures, Account security, Internal helpline support, etc just to name a few have been closed down or outsourced. With the closure of a department, you rarely have a chance to say where you want to go in the company. They just stick it to you and if you don't like it, they don't care if you leave. (ie: helpline going from a specialist position you had to apply for and being moved to a topbuyer entry position that ebay hired off the street) 12. The lying. Ask upper management something and even though they know the answer, it's either beat around the bush until you give up or they are not heard from again.

22 people found this review helpful
    3. 2.0
      Former Employee

The dream is long, long gone, folks.

Dec 27, 2008 - Customer Service Representative  in Vancouver, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Two things kept me at eBay - the compensation and benefits (above average) and the fantastic people that I worked with every day. Everyone on each team I worked with was bright, technically saavy, and customer oriented. It's a great place to experience cutting edge software and see how e-commerce works (the good and the very, very bad). Work there if you want to get some experience and make some money for say, six months. Then move on. Career - not so much.

Cons

Where to start? Even when Meg was CEO management was too far removed from the day to day problems CSRs encountered, and seemed to focus on making the job harder every year. Lower level employees were treated as disposable units despite lip service promoting eBay as a good place to work. Hard to have "work-life balance" when you are kept on a night shift with no chance of going to days, or when you needed to schedule a sick day ahead of time (or be penalized), or when a bathroom break of over 3 minutes is a cause of concern. Yes, all activities were logged by the minute.... And that brings me to metrics. Don't work at eBay if you like to work at your own pace or if you like to show creativity in corresponding with your customers. There are numbers you have to hit every day, and a proscribed way to do it, and it doesn't matter if it is fair or unhelpful to your customers. If your Satisfaction rating sucks because of some new policy that has people upset, sorry, your fault! and you get dinged for it. The company is run by technocrats who show very little concern for anything but the bottom line, and it has been that way for years. The appointment of John Donahoe is the logical endpoint for a management that sees customer support as a money drain and buyers and sellers as a necessary nuisance. They just aren't pretending any more that the eBay community is some shining experiment in democratic capitalism. Reality bites - welcome to North American business in the 21st century.

4 people found this review helpful
    4. 2.0

Big Brother lives at eBay

Nov 4, 2008 - Customer Service Representative  in Burnaby, BC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Above Average benefits, Bagel Day, Discounts on Transit, ESPP, Group RRSP, bonuses.

Cons

Micromanagement with numbers numbers numbers - monitoring of screens, emails, msn, Internet, and time usage to a Kindegarten level. eBay follows the rules as far as Employment Standards are concerned, but fails to trust the employees to give true empowerment on the job. We are fully aware of our expectations, everything is on a 'quota per hour' basis - however the addition of monitoring in the name of 'quality assurance' is detrimental to morale and does not serve a positive purpose. If an employee is routinely performing at an 'exceeds' or 'outstanding' level - 125% + and 150% of quota, effectively doing the job of up to 2 people in production statistics, there should not be a heavy handed approach to personal use of msn or Internet. Of course, we are adults and can fully appreciate that we are there to do a job - however a few minutes each shift for personal communication does wonders to morale and actually has been proven to assist productivity. If I am performing under 100% then I would expect to be more focussed on the job at hand - but if I am performing far and above what is expected then please leave me alone. Work/Life balance is good only if you have accrued enough time off to make it work. eBay has a strange system whereby you have to earn your Paid Time Off - so you always have a struggle scheduling time off for vacation early in the year if you have few hours remaining due to time taken for sick leave etc. There are family days and such which helps, but the system of earning time is not acceptable and I suspect it is one of the factors that people leave. Advancement is and remains a challenge. You have to be a specific personality type to get ahead at eBay. Exuding the 'values' that are so readily posted and extolled to us on a daily basis. Only very recently have they finally adopted a system where your accomplishments follow you throughout your tenure. Before, sadly, if you were on a team for months with acomplishments and achievements built up, ready to challenge an interview for the next level, and your supervisor leaves or you change teams, the slate is WIPED CLEAN. That is the biggest morale and motivational KILLER at eBay. I had it happen to me twice, and as a result have zero interest in moving on up at eBay.

3 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Senior Software Engineer

Jan 17, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good Health Benefits. Good Pay

Cons

No Work Life balance. Teams roadmap changes very often.

1 person found this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Contractor

No complaints

Jan 12, 2021 - Data Analyst in Shanghai, Shanghai, Shanghai
      Business Outlook

Pros

So far so good 80% as expected

Cons

Work life balance could br improved

7. 4.0

Good place to work

Oct 4, 2020 - Program Manager in Netanya
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good social benefits. Nice environment.

Cons

Should be more flexible and understand the 'work life balance'

eBay Response

Hello and thank you for your review! We're glad to see that you enjoy eBay's benefits and work environment. We hope that our additional benefits resulting from our COVID-19 response were well-received and have increased your work/life balance. If you'd like to continue our dialogue, feel free to reach out to glassdoorfeedback@ebay.com.

8. 1.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Worst place I've ever worked

Sep 30, 2020 - High Value Customer Support in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

None. Not exaggerating there is literally none.

Cons

I've worked in various customer support and call center roles over the year I can honestly say eBay is absolutely the worst. I'll try breakdown the specific areas. Contract: eBay are very cleaver on how they word their job offers. If it was a product on their site it would be taken down for false advertising. Their "competitive salary" is a pittance and not comparable with other companies of similar size. On paper they offer the standard amount of holiday as required by law but when you actual go to take them you see that each day is blocked to only allow a certain number of people off a day. Now this is standard but the system only allowed for 3/4 (out of a team of nearly 50) to be off at a time. There is zero, and this must be emphasized for effect, ZERO flexibility. Need a weekend off for a last minute event? Sorry should have applied for it when it became available 6 months ago. There is no established system to deal with swaps resulting in an email inbox full of requests. Forget all that talk about progression and advancement. The opportunities are just not there to move to a senior role. What you can look forward to is moving to Concierge BUT are these awarded fairly? Are they hell! It doesn't matter if you have been there years or a wet 6 months, if you are besties with the managers you go up. Shifts: Kiss your work life balance goodbye. Shifts change weekly and can be anywhere from 8am to 10pm. People are clamoring for a fixed pattern but they will only go to certain people (more on that later). Flexibility? A foreign concept to eBay. You are basically told to put up and shut up. Working conditions: As we are now working from home due to circumstances I will outline the experience from before. eBay is split across 2 buildings about a kilometer apart. There is stark divide between not just the buildings but the floors even with no effort to mix staff. They use hotdesking which adds nothing to morale. If you are on a late shift you better enjoy the hunt for a computer where the keyboard screen and mouse all work and meet basic hygiene standards. Worse on weekends when using the main office and technology at least 5 years out of date. I have worked for other large multinationals in Ireland and basic amenities such as free snacks or a free canteen would be laughable in eBay. You are constantly being watched in eBay. Your life is dominated by the clock. If you are a minute (and I am talking 10 seconds here) back late from a break on in clocking in the morning you will be called in to explain. The same does not apply if you are delayed taking your break. Your breaks consist of 2 breaks of 15 minutes and 1 of 30 minutes but their is no logic into how these breaks are allocated. For example you could be on a 9-5.30 shift and have a 15 break at 11.30 and then your 30 minute at 12.30. Changing these breaks is impossible and complaining is pointless (more on this below). There is someone there whos only job is watch who is not available to take calls. This is expected but due to the call volume you will not have time to do any follow up. If a customers issue cannot be resolved on first contact, which can be the case, you are told to pause it and resolve later but as you are not given the time to resolve this the issue is left. In theory a 30 minute slot is built in to the schedule for resolving cases but it is common thing that this time is cut due to call volume. Requests for this time, or anytime, to work on the growing backlog are ignored. Staff are timed for bathroom breaks and called out if too long is taken to relieve oneself. Even those in prison are allowed go to the toilet when needed. Customers and Call volume: I will agree starting off that the company cannot control what is said on a call but they can control what is done when a customer is abusive. In my time with eBay I have been called every name under the sun. I have been threated with violence, sexual assault and yes even murder! I am not thin skinned but they get to you and management do not care. I was once told it is my job to deal with it. The call volume is the highest I have ever seen in a customer service job. Be prepared to deal with 50/60 calls a day. If they could make us take 2 calls at a time they would. You are pretty much left to drown on a difficult call because management are nowhere to be seen. Most will be routine (monotonous) but as expected there will be the difficult call and there will be no help available. Metrics: You will be a slave to the metrics, most of which are outside your control. Your "bonus" is tied to team metrics so you can have top metrics but because the department didn't hit target you get nothing.... no I correct myself you might get a badly done up certificate. Bad review are what they are but unfair reviews have no appeal. If you did everything you could do to help the customer but they still mark you down too bad. Worse reviews with abuse the police would prosecute for have no appeal to be removed and you are told it happens. You are reviewed on recontact rate, so people calling back within a period, something you have no control over if it is 2 separate issues. If you are lucky you might get a pizza lunch or a doughnut as a way to make you think they care. Management: I don't know the requirements for hiring a manager in eBay but they cant be that high. The team leaders are the core of the issues. Now I get it they have a job to do but they are constantly in a meeting so when you need them they are nowhere around. When you can get them they don't want to hear your issue. You will practically have to drag them kicking and screaming to take over a call when a customer asks for a manager but at this stage I am not even surprised when they immediately give into the customer and give them what they want even if it is in no way warranted. They just want to get off the call. Managers in eBay play favouritism in a way I have never seen before. Certain staff know they are untouchable and get away with something others would be fired before because they are friends with the manager. The coaches are... pointless really coz there just is no coaching. So overall, the place is a disaster. You will face abuse from customers and abuse from the managers while working in conditions a slave would envy.

6 people found this review helpful

eBay Response

Thank you for this extremely detailed review. We're sorry to hear that you haven't had a great time at eBay. Although you've already shared so much, you're always welcome to continue the conversation via email at glassdoorfeedback@ebay.com.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work but constantly play catch up

Aug 6, 2020 - Ebay in San Jose, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits Work on complex challenges Smart people Fun working environment

Cons

Not much work life balance Morale can be low at time especially with rounds of redundancies and reorgs Main competitor is Amazon so we're always on the back foot

1 person found this review helpful

eBay Response

We are grateful to you for leaving this review! We're happy to see that you enjoyed the pay, benefits and complex challenges you had the chance to work on while you were here at eBay. We are definitely working on helping work life balance and morale. If you have any ideas that may help or have any other feedback you'd like to share, please feel free to email us at glassdoorfeedback@ebay.com.

10. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

AVOID THESE COWBOYS

Aug 13, 2020 - M2M Team Mate in Dublin, Dublin
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pay and benefits. Good colleagues.

Cons

They will promise you all the support in the world but especially working from home, this will never be fulfilled. Your left mostly on your own with no help, ESPECIALLY on weekends. Questions put into their online space are often skipped/missed and you often must pause issues that could have been dealt with quickly on the calls due to this. The Knowledge base they have in place is so expansive that it is extremely hard to find anything rendering it completely useless. Management play favourites - nothing new or exclusive to eBay. If you have any sort of mental health issues, I would STEER CLEAR of eBay. Management will wave "mental health first aid training" around but this is mostly so they can deal with and identify for themselves anyone possibly struggling. This “training” is not helpful for anyone honest and upfront about existing issues. They do not actually help staff when there is a mental health issue. Prepare to be abused on calls daily despite what they say, these calls are not few and far between. Members will scream abuse at you to try and get what they want, and you will have to get permission from management to end this call if you can get a hold of someone. Management are not on the same page at all and you will never get a straight answer from anyone. Some management will tell you to give 3 warnings and end the call but if you do this and someone else is on duty they'll more than likely tell you this is wrong and tell you something completely different. Reading though some of the other reviews I am shocked to see that people thought the training was great. This for me was bare bones. Again, you cannot get a straight answer out of the trainers. They will answer questions with the same answers simply different phrasing. You go through 8 weeks training that means nothing other than “read the knowledge base” and then they push you in the deep end and wave from the shoreline while you drown. You only get a breather of 5 seconds in between calls which leads to burnout and stress. Management this 7.5 minute per call is achievable due to 60% of the department hitting it. They do not take into consideration that most of that 60% are in Bangalore and the Philippines where teammates do what they want to avoid the abuse and racism from the callers. This then leads to more abusive calls for team mates following the rules and policies. God forbid you would try and get some offline time for the back up of work you have from the lack of answers. Expect management to throw you under the bus on escalation calls. They will tell you to advise management will tell the customer the same thing. This is a lie. Management do not want to take these calls live, even though this is stated as process in the KB. If you have an issue, again specific to Working from Home, their IT team is less than useless. I had an ongoing phone issue that was fixed by a level 2 technician after a 30-minute phone call AFTER 2 WEEKS OF CHASING EVERYDAY. Super short breaks. Two 15-minute breaks (sometimes an hour after you start) and one 30-minute break. This leaves no time to really do anything or get some fresh air. The recruitment team did a fantastic job of selling the role as a dream, but it is more like a night terror. Customer surveys affect your bonus. It counts for 40% which is disgusting as this is not something within your control WHATSOEVER. Customers give you back CSATs for stuff totally outside of your control or thinking it is for another company and eBay refuse to remove them and you therefore do not get a bonus. I had to leave this toxic waste pit of a company for my own mental health. NOTHING is worth putting yourself through this company. Work life balance is non-existent. Lots of late shifts and weekend work. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

8 people found this review helpful

eBay Response

We truly appreciate the time that you spent with eBay and we hope that you find yourself well in your current position. It's great to see that you loved the pay, benefits, as well as your colleagues despite all of the frustrations you seem to have felt. You have already provided considerable detail in your review, but if you'd like to add anything at all, feel free to email glassdoorfeedback@ebay.com.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 142 Reviews