Zignal Labs Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Josh Ginsberg

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Positive at first, figure out your own way down the road."

I worked at Zignal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The first few weeks were really positive for me, people were very enthusiastic and for the most part genuinely wanted to get to know you. I think this is very typical for any tech startup. I think they also want to make a solid impact for new talent that joins.

From my perspective, people either enjoy working for this company or don't. It's 50/50. Similar to other reviews, I'd also compare it to a fraternal-like culture. I think the only reason they have stayed afloat is because they were working with an open-ended budget. However, this budget is not translated to employees.

Cons

Most of the talented engineers left around their 1 year anniversary. The founders have little relevant experience to the type of business they envision and are figuring it out with unlimited budget along the way. When issues rise up such as process management and improvement or learning from previous mistakes, leadership does not document or remember any of them which left employees to just give up. This type of software is dying off and enterprise accounts will focus on other solutions.

"No direction in Sales"

I worked at Zignal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office was conveniently located. Lunches provided and decent snacks. A number of smart engineers that were building some interesting things.

Cons

Interesting doesn't always mean sellable. Kept adding sales people with what felt like no plan to make them successful other than "make more cold calls". Constant turnover as people quickly realized that they could not make the money they were lead to believe.

Advice to Management

Don't try to be everyone's friend. People care about senior management setting up the company to be successful and to help them make money to take care of their families not to have a good time and pretend to be their friend.

"Growing Pains - Lessons Unlearned"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at Zignal Labs (More than a year)

Pros

The Founders Josh and Adam are doing a good job pushing their vision and trying earnestly to build a vibrant culture. There are some great people and fun perks. The technology platform is solid.

Cons

Sales and Marketing are revolving doors. The company started as an inside sales organization and moved quickly to establish and outside sales force. Unfortunately, they hired too many people without listening to advice to do this more slowly. They lost about a dozen very good people and didn't treat them with very much respect. The office environment was filled with fear and people were willing to point fingers at their colleagues to save their own skin. The turnover has hurt the brand in various markets. Couldn't overcome competition with price and product delivery concerns.

Advice to Management

Turnover hurts your brand reputation. Invest in quality not quantity. Focus on your strengths and don't promise something to the market you can't deliver on. It's okay to look at what went wrong and self-assess. Create an environment that encourages looking at what you can improve instead of pretending it bad things didn't happen.

"Sales Development Rep"

I worked at Zignal Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of room to grow

Cons

Top management needs to focus on their employees.

"It keeps getting better!"

I have been working at Zignal Labs full-time

Pros

I've been at Zignal for almost 2 years. Typically after a while. the honeymoon is over and the reality of the job sets in. To my surprise, I find my job more and more interesting, innovative and satisfying. I love my team, love their passion and their commitment to excellence. The connections and relationships that have been developed here will last a long time.

Cons

We should have a few volunteering days off per year.

Advice to Management

Josh and Adam, I have never seen founders work as hard as you two. I hope you know how amazing, inspiring, and motivating you are. Working with you guys is a joy. Thank you!

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros

It is an exciting time to be at Zignal Labs as the company is growing and there is much work to be done. The work is exciting and technically challenging (in a good way) because of scale and breadth of technologies being used. The culture is fun and geared toward collaboration.

Cons

The WeWork space is a bit small.

Advice to Management

Move.

8. "Fascinating product, excellent people"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Development Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zignal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people here are amazing. Sales is competitive by nature but everyone on the team actually helps each other out. My boss, Jamie Varley, is the best boss I've had. Leadership cares about employees and wants them to succeed. Re: the product itself - there's a bit more competition in the industry than I expected and we're still optimizing and figuring out the best way to market the platform. That said, prospective clients are always wow'd by the technology, and I'm very impressed with the flexibility and intelligence of the ever-improving marketing and sales strategy.

Cons

Flooded market. Not everything is figured out about the product and who our target market is, which is a positive thing most of the time in my perspective but frustrating here and there.

Advice to Management

Consolidate our remote offices - remote account executives seem to not do as well, and I don't blame them because they seem rather disconnected from the core team. Either keep all account executives in the DC or SF office, or get a new office where you want to expand.

Provide a clearer path to promotion for entry level jobs (note: thanks for all the work you've already done on this, I understand that it's not an easy framework to come up with at this stage of our company).

"Nice people in a market that doesn't need a new solution."

I worked at Zignal Labs full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Genuine thoughtful people working hard to make a strong product. They work hard at culture and seem to put some thought into making their company a tight knit group.

Cons

This is a competitive crowded established market with little growth and established competitors who own marketshare. In my experience there was not a compelling reason for most prospects to eliminate an established relationship for this limited point solution.
    Mandatory fun is not fun.

"They Have No Clue"

Pros

Social atmosphere, great product when it works

Cons

If you like to be social, drink, act like you are in a fraternity or sorority, accomplish about 30% of your daily goals then this company might be for you. The "C" level management is a complete joke and has never ran a company before and it shows. 1 sales person left from the original team. Very long sales cycle and very cheap company. Virtually no training. Lucky if they are around in 6 months.

Advice to Management

Take some management classes and/or bring in seasoned managers. Pay market value or maybe more to get good talent.

"Not good for engineers"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Zignal Labs (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to find any pros.

Cons

The company is run by non-tech low vision founders, who have not a slightest idea on how to lead people. The number of "managers" going from meeting to meeting is now exceeds the number of capable engineers. The code is unstructured mess left by a flow of disengaged employees, who normally did not stick around for long. The only focus is to fix bugs and ship half baked features, which are hardly being used.