Zenefits Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated May 5, 2020

4.1
Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher
Pros
  • "In addition to the standard free food, solid benefits, etc(in 31 reviews)

• "The people and the pace of the company attract people who are in it for the right reasons: great people doing awesome work to address a big opportunity(in 26 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews

"Best place to work"

Current Employee - Engineer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Top level management is better than before

Cons

Poor work life balance but improving

Zenefits2019-08-31

"Great place to work, nice people, but crappy food"

4.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Despite some bad article online, this is actually good place to work Great co-workers to work with Good product and i am happy that i can contribute The idea is great, and it is leading the industry better work-life balance than before

Cons

bad reputation caused by misleading article and news online management is a little weird the market is not good for its business now ironically, bad benefits for a hr-benefits company seriously, crappy food.

Zenefits2017-02-07

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zenefits offers a great software platform for small businesses, has a solid and experienced leadership team, and is generally just a great place to work and grow your career. They are very adaptable, and successfully made the shift to remote work virtually overnight. This has made the company even better in terms of flexibility and work life balance, and it is likely there will be a lot more work from home opportunities for employees when things "go back to normal." Jay, the CEO is a high integrity leader, who is mission driven and 100% focused on "leveling the playing field for the other 99.7%" - the company is all about supporting small businesses.

Cons

The negative press from a few years ago - from a different time, a different leadership team - is unfortunate and unwarranted in today's Zenefits. It's a totally different company, and it's super annoying that when you search the company, that stuff still pops up.

Zenefits2020-05-06
  4. "Good for benefits and work life balance"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Good for benefits and work life balance

Cons

Not suited for high paced individual

Zenefits2020-02-10

"They don’t care about you"

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free lunch and snacks. Great coworkers.

Cons

Where to start... sales oversells the product and doesn’t care that it screws over support. They are severely understaffed. They won’t hire enough people for support to help relieve other teams. Directors say they take your input into consideration but then go and do the exact opposite. Work life balance is not existent in support. There are so many tickets that you have to go home and work over time (clocked in or not) to even out your backlog.

Zenefits2019-08-12

August 19, 2019People Business Partner

Thanks for providing this feedback, and I'm sorry to hear that your experience was not all positive. Customer support is a tough role, but it should also be fun and fulfilling. We're currently implementing changes to address these issues. As a matter of policy and practice, all of our hourly (non-exempt) employees should be clocked in and are compensated for any work they are performing, whether at home or the office. Feel free to reach out to our People Team (people@zenefits.com) with any questions or additional feedback.

"An Amazing Place to Grow your Career!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Career growth here is common and real. Many of my colleagues have started at the bottom and worked their way up. Once you get your foot in the door, there are tons of possibilities if you're willing to work hard, be patient, and incorporate feedback you're given. - I have never worked for a company that has encouraged me to be more innovative than Zenefits does. Managers encourage creativity and ideas from your first week on the job. I have seen many of these ideas get implemented, so long as they are realistic. I feel that I have made more of a positive impact here than I think I could at most other companies. - I have the utmost confidence in Senior Leadership. The changes Jay and team have made in the past ~1.5 years have been well thought out and well executed. I believe in our mission and the path we are taking to get there now more than ever. Not only that, but Senior Leadership is approachable, honest, and communicative. - The people here are some of the smartest, most creative, nicest and hard working people I have ever had the pleasure of working with. - Zenefits has had an especially strong initiative towards learning and development as of late. This includes trainings, ebooks, etc. I truly feel like this resource can help me grow as a manager and as an individual. - As everyone has mentioned, the kitchen and catered lunches are definitely a plus!

Cons

- We have come a long way with work/life balance during my time here, but I still think we have a ways to go. In my mind, this is somewhat expected given the nature of the company and how fast we're growing, but I can see how it would be a negative for some. This may not be the place for you if you're expecting to work a solid 9 to 5 every day. If you like to stay busy and continuously challenged, you'll love it. - There are a lot of changes here. Again, I see this as a positive and don't mind it as it's part of growing, but I can see how others might see it as a negative. Processes change frequently, so you have to be flexible!

Zenefits2018-07-30

November 14, 2018CPO

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We're happy to have you growing with us, as the company does too!

7. "Don't Be Afraid to Try Zenefits -- Good Experience Overall"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- In AZ you work in a beautiful high rise with amazing views - Good IT infrastructure (MacBooks, VOIP phones, VPN architecture, etc.) - Opportunity to work with some great products - Catered lunches (daily in AZ) - A convenience store worth of premium snacks and beverages for the taking - Excellent health/life insurance benefit options that the company pays the majority of - Nice couches and seating areas to get away from your desk - Non-accruing PTO ("unlimited") - Fair salaries and good work/life balance

Cons

- Not nearly enough work space. Employee desks aren’t much bigger than the desk you sat at in high school - Noisy working conditions – There’s a high expectation to engage customers on the phone, which is difficult when co-workers are screaming, cheering, banging gongs, etc. - Sick constantly – Colds and flus run rampant, in large part due to the close working conditions. At least the company provides good medical insurance, complimentary EmergenC, Purell, and cold medicine - Tools/resources needed to do your job (i.e. software) are often taken away and you're told to, 'Figure out how to do more with less.' (A common mantra at start-ups.) - Unstable – Rolls out new business models constantly, invests in employee training, then rips it up and throws it out the window. I saw the business/service model change no less than 4 times in 1.5 years with Zenefits.

Zenefits2018-04-14

April 16, 2018CPO

Hi there, thank you for your review. We take your feedback seriously and hear your concern about a noisy working environment in our Arizona office. We are connecting with our office management team to address your concerns. It's feedback like this that helps us improve, so we appreciate you taking the time!

"Senior Software Engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Lots of snacks, foods - Work-life balance is great at this time, 3 - 4 hours of work at most every day for engineers.

Cons

- Half of the strongly experienced employees have left the company in the past 3 months. - New hires with weak background cannot handle work as well as previously experienced employees. - There is no growth for a long time and a big failure on sales this year.

Zenefits2017-10-17

October 24, 2017CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review as we value the feedback. You made some good points that we will be looking into. If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to reach out to the People Team at people@zenefits.com so we can discuss this further.

"Leadership is Older, Workforce is Younger"

2.0

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Good work-life balance, snacks in the office

Cons

Leadership is conflict-avoidant. Workers aren't operating as one team. There's not a lot of trust in the leadership. And there are a lot of new VPs who don't value long-term employee feedback.

Zenefits2017-10-23

October 24, 2017CPO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we take your feedback seriously. This is valuable information and we will be sure to look into this further. If you would like to discuss this issue in more depth please feel free to reach out to the People Team at people@zenefits.com

10. "New leadership has brought fresh focus and optimism"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Newly revamped executive team is impressive and seem more closely aligned on product vision and roadmap than before The company has ambitious plans to build a unique platform and has some strong foundations for executing on the vision SF office environment is much improved since the recent office move Competitive salaries and benefits Work-life balance can vary seasonally and by role, but is better than it was 12 months ago Recent brand refresh was overdue, but is a much better reflection of the values and aspirations of the company and its employees

Cons

Morale was affected by the last 18 months of changing leadership, shrinking headcount and shifting priorities, but strong recent senior executive hires point to imminent improvements in this area.

Zenefits2017-09-27

October 5, 2017CPO

Thanks for the positive review! We appreciate the feedback as we are continually working to improve the company.

Found 71 reviews