Zenefits Employee Reviews about "great people"

Updated Oct 6, 2019

Zenefits CEO Jay Fulcher
Jay Fulcher
Pros
  • "Great people, amazing opportunities, free food(in 34 reviews)

• "The people and the pace of the company attract people who are in it for the right reasons: great people doing awesome work to address a big opportunity(in 26 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "great people"

Return to all Reviews

"Great for many reasons"

Former Employee - Biz Ops in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

Zenefits is a storied silicon valley company. It's been through a lot. It's amazing to see how well the company is doing now. The people and the pace of the company attract people who are in it for the right reasons: great people doing awesome work to address a big opportunity.

Cons

Zenefits will always have to deal with its past. But that's part of the fun.

November 11, 2019People Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback and for your contributions to Zenefits! We're excited about our future and appreciate knowing we've got former teammates out there rooting for us!

"Headed in the right direction"

Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Great people, love the folks here - the company itself truly has tons of potential, Zenefits has really strong software/app tech that our customers love - it seems to be gaining more and more of the market so things are trending in the right direction.

Cons

Sometimes a little bit of a lack in process/documentation, but nothing crazy

Continue reading

"Amazing work atmosphere, Free food and great employees"

Current Employee - Some Good Stuff in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, amazing opportunities, free food

Cons

Haven’t come across any for now.

"AE"

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Great people and great experience.

Cons

Limited skill development within sales.

November 20, 2017CPO

Thank you for your feedback!

5. "Great Ride So Far"

No Opinion of CEO

I have been working at Zenefits full-time

Pros

Great culture Great people Company trending in right direction

Cons

Sometimes it can be very hectic

"Zenefits Continues to Improve since Shakeup"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great people to work with - Agile in developing/implementing solutions to product issues - The new exec team

Cons

- Career stagnation within the role you initially obtain; however, this seems like it is becoming less of an issue since the new exec team took over.

July 17, 2017CPO

Thanks for the support and advice. We are bringing on several senior leaders right now. I am looking forward to their impact!

"There's plenty of fish in the sea"

2.0
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Zenefits full-time for more than a year

Pros

- The business model was genius, and Parker definitely deserves a medal for that. Initial growth was exceptionally strong, which means that early employees and people in the management layers have lots of upside potential. - The people were great. But there are lots of great people at lots of other great companies too. - There's a lot of opportunity if you're willing to put in the time. The codebase leaves a lot to be desired, and putting in the effort to improve it would be both a great learning experience and probably get you some good will with management. - Convenient location in SoMA in San Francisco. Lots of snacks and drinks, and tons of empty desks if you want somewhere quiet to work (post-RIF benefit I guess?)

Cons

- Compensation seems good, but you have to realize that there are rarely bonuses, and they're also likely trying to make up for the poor stock potential. If you're considering joining, you should ask for financials under NDA and judge for yourself whether there is potential. Consider that the CEOs last exit with Ooyala was at 5x revenue, which for Zenefits wouldn't come anywhere near paying off the preferred stock of investors. (Please please please, read up on preferred v.s. common stock and liquidation preference before joining a startup.) - The codebase is a mess, and code quality isn't necessarily improving. Some groups within engineering are trying to put in the effort to use microservices and build the code in a way that will be scalable with the business. Others are still focused on shipping at all costs, even if it means long-term product instability and a constant influx of bugs. Attempts to fix quality have led to questionable results as proper testing does not accompany the bug fixes, which leads to regressions. - Overall, the CTO has failed to lead engineering in fixing our common problems. Orders are given and not followed, because the requisite respect is not there. As time goes on, more and more engineers are losing sight of the vision and their motivation, and are become checked out as they look for a new job. - Working in the core monolithic codebase is a nightmare, and it isn't improving. A good (but maybe biased) overview can be found on the scriptycrafty blog titled "software engineering dystopias". Short story, the infrastructure team worked hard for a year to keep the CI systems propped up, while the core engineering teams kept piling bad code on top. - At this point you can expect full suite builds to take 1.5 hours (and even this is parallelized across a large number of nodes). UI rebuilds take 12-15 seconds, then add another 10 seconds for the page to reload and maybe 20-30 seconds while the Chrome dev tools freeze as they try to parse the massive amount of JS sent to the client. Running any sort of UI tests take forever because the UI and APIs are ridiculously slow, I know of people who spend 4-8 hours fixing a single integration test because of the length of the feedback loop. The closest thing to unit tests are the Django "unit tests" which take 15-20 seconds minimum when you combine the Django boot time with the web of signals that fires whenever you try to seed simple user data. (FWIW, these comments mostly apply to the engineering org. I can't comment much on the quality of life in other parts of the company, but I think the other negative reviews from ops and sales reflect many of the things I heard while at Zenefits.)

May 25, 2017

Zenefits engineering is absolutely facing challenges from early hyper-growth and an over-emphasis on shipping quickly. However, the idea that these problems are not getting fixed is just fundamentally false. The microservices work is ongoing, and so is refactoring and general attention to code sanity, even in the monolithic core codebase. Things have definitively gotten better over the last year. Full builds still take too long, but the statements about UI tests are just fundamentally incorrect. There has been a gross overuse by lots of engineers of end-to-end acceptance tests for exercising the UI, but for the engineers who actually learn enough about the frontend to write unit tests and smaller integration tests, they see test feedback in seconds, not minutes. The tools for faster tests are there, but some engineers still choose not to use them. The new CEO and CRO have set a very different tone from both the previous CEOs, David Sacks and Parker. The “ship at all costs” mentality is being stamped out, and there is a new focus on long-term thinking which is starting to filter down even to lower-level product people and line-level engineers. It takes some time to re-train people’s thinking, but there is lots of progress there. The new leadership has been very vocal about their aim of building lasting value for the customers, not on making a quick exit — and that is reflected in an increased focus on quality (doubling the size of the QA team), tighter product roadmap (doing fewer things better), and more ongoing customer feedback. There is absolutely a wealth of challenges at Zenefits, but there is also a ton of smart, focused, resilient individuals there who are focused on solving them, and substantial progress in every important area.

"Constant Ups & Downs"

Current Employee - Operations in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Zenefits is, in many ways, a good place to work. Things are constantly changing and shifting. If you're a young person looking for a valuable early-career experience, Zenefits is a great place to be. You'll take on a lot of new responsibilities and you'll learn on the job. There may even be some job mobility, and you might have the ability to change teams internally if you'd like to. There are also a lot of great people at Zenefits. Everyone around me is rooting for each others' success, and that creates a really positive work environment to be in, even when the work is hard. My managers have always treated me with respect and kindness, from day one. I am so thankful for that-- Zenefits hasn't always been known for respect or professionalism, but I've seen nothing but respect since I was hired last year. From what I can tell, values have changed drastically since Zenefits V1 under Parker. It's also a typically cushy tech job-- at the SF office, there are catered lunches once a week, kitchens full of snacks, and some flexibility of hours even in non-engineering roles.

Cons

Two RIFs within the last year and 3 CEOs within a calendar year have really lowered morale. It's not easy to work at Zenefits right now. New leadership is extremely revenue-focused. It's great that we're trying to increase our revenue, but this creates a less idealistic work environment. Sometimes it feels like corners are cut in order to hit deadlines, hit new initiatives, or increase sales. There is also no guarantee that raises, promotions, or performance reviews will happen regularly or fairly. Some of my colleagues who have been here for years have not had timely reviews, and some of them have been outright denied raises. Searching the salaries section of Glassdoor provides a good estimate of what the company is willing to offer right now, at least in my role. Note that the yearly bonuses were taken away about a year ago with the first RIF. Even if the company goes through a major upheaval and your role gets 10x harder as a result, you may be measured against old expectations, or what your work would look like in an ideal scenario. If you're a new employee, make sure you ask for performance review criteria at the time of your hire, so you know what you're being measured against. Get really clear examples of what realistic success looks like in your role. The work culture in the SF office can be extreme. People don't party too hard anymore (thank goodness) but they do work really, really hard. At our peak seasons, people are putting in 60 hour weeks, working until 9 or 10 PM, or working weekends from home to get things done-- somehow this has become normal. You don't have to accept this, and you can and should fight it. And finally: everything changes all the time. Which can be good, but you also get to point where you crave stability and focus. I'm hoping our new CEO & CFO can provide some of that.

July 27, 2017Vp Comms

What a thoughtful review. Thank you for taking the time to write it.

"A long grind ahead"

2.0

I have been working at Zenefits full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some great people who still care, there are snacks but nothing to write home about and free lunch once a week.

Cons

Too much turmoil, change, and pivots. Execution is scary bad. Think half the company is looking for another job. Many good senior leaders have left and more are on their way. The culture is bad (meaning, there isn't one). Senior leaders think they have given us a strategy, but they really haven't.

Continue reading

"I was warned and I wish I'd listened"

1.0

I worked at Zenefits full-time

Pros

You'll meet some great people.

Cons

Managers are inexperienced and provide no direction. Lack of meaningful internal communication. Lack of planning leads to a scramble to get things done every single day. Little regard for how decisions impact employees' personal lives. All the downsides of working at a startup with all the downsides of working at a large company.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 English Reviews