ZAG Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-timePart-time

1.8
Tara Burke

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Massages every Friday, running club, lounge with foosball, healthy snacks to destress (in 4 reviews)

• Dogs in the office, the now laid off cultural coordinator who organized monthly lunch and learns and group activities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • How this Steve Curtis guy got E&Y award is a shame to E&Y selection committee (in 9 reviews)

• Stay away, I was lucky to get out early - immediately after I left, I saw them looking for another EA (actually I think they're still looking) (in 6 reviews)

"CEO has lost touch with reality"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

none. none. none. none. none - does this meet the 5 word minimum?

Cons

I worked here as an Executive Assistant to the CEO - Steve Curtis. That's right, I worked closely alongside him as his lap dog, working in his apartment, managing his schedule, handling his housekeeper, setting up travel/vacation plans, etc. I sat silently beside him during private meetings and phone calls, and watched closely as he interacted with his employees and myself. There were so many CONS - I don't know where to start.

1. Steve claims to have cured himself of a terminal cancer. The first person in the world to cure cancer naturally through plants and traditional herbs. He literally has the biggest goldmine of the 21st century and the modern world in the palm of his hands. BUT he doesn't sell the herbs, or the formula or license any of this..... strange, right? when something smells fishy, looks fishy, sounds fishy.. its probably fishy.

2. Other employees have claimed the company doesn't pay contractors - actually, what they do is they offer you basic hourly wage to work with Steve in a "paid working interview" where the work mostly consists of listening to Steve's tangents and getting barked at by Tara. At the end of this "working interview" they offer you a contract. But you don't want to take the job, so you don't sign the contract. But then they won't pay you for working until you sign the contract.... uhmm what?

3. No training, no support, no good working environment. As his Executive Assistant, you work in his tiny 500 sq ft apartment with three other people. You are expected to use your own laptop and make international calls with your own cell phone and purchase lunch for Steve and his minions with your own money - and you are compensated for $0. (back to the "no training or help" - try to ask Tara a question, and Steve cuts in with "figure it out on your own, Tara doesn't get to help you"... first hour into the job, great impression. You're given work without any background, any information, any contacts and told to "figure it out".

4. While 90% of the day is listening to Steve talk, the other 10% is doing nonsensical stuff ie. contact this wizard online to ask about this magic wand, design a family crest ring, order headphones, buy me a tv stand.... again, all without any compensation for the phone calls or products.

5. I have watched Steve cut off people speaking in a meeting and kicked us ALL out of his apartment - because he wasn't pleased with the presentation. a little over dramatic, rude, and immature, don't you think?

6. Days are not structured, no agenda or organization. You jump from one thing to another to another within minutes.

Don't be fooled by his story of making millions. Please do your research - Steve is constantly inflating how much money his company is bringing in cause he actually has no idea. Take into account the lies, the lawsuits, the dirty article written (which he PAID to have removed - Steve Curtis is one Shady Businessman), the drug (liquid kratom) he's trying to distribute - and all together this is a SHADY company. Stay away, I was lucky to get out early - immediately after I left, I saw them looking for another EA (actually I think they're still looking). I guess no one sticks around for long.

Advice to Management

Steve speaks down to EVERYONE. I've heard him say things like "I have a $30 million net worth and this is how you treat me?" ... heres a life lesson for you, Steve. It doesn't matter how much money you have. Even if you were the richest man on earth, no one will never respect you for the way you treat and speak to the people around you. Seriously.

"Avoid like the plague"

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am not one to bad mouth people or companies but what was done at Zag requires me to forewarn anyone who thinks about joining Zag, Zend, or Resilient Management. Save yourself the stress, unethical and immoral behavior, AND ESPECIALLY the cheap parlor stories of how great a person Steve is and how much he's done for the world. Just know if everyone is saying the exact same things - all negative, its because it is true.

Cons

Zag, Zend, and Resilient Management are all the same - run by Steve Curtis. Steve Curtis is an over exaggerating, ego driven, self centered, unethical person who will take from everyone and everything around him to better himself while leaving everyone else behind. Everything he says about his "businesses" are over exaggerated and not true. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH and call him on his BS. I wish i did a lot sooner. Have a look at all the law suits against him and know that Curtis isn't his real last name. He changed it because of the law suits.

"ZzzzzigZag"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of people with high, hopes enthusiasm and energy. Office location is great and nobody stole my lunch.

Cons

Steve Curtis is a shorter younger poorer version of Donald Trump or Kim Jong Il. Trying to build aura around himself without the genuine attraction needed so resorts to games.

Advice to Management

Get some money, products, leadership, and a business model.

"Now The Truth"

Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left one of the enthusiastic positive reviews stating a number of pros. I had just been hired, and was strongly encouraged (but sadly not paid as some have suggested) to post a review. I bought into the story of the CEO and all the hype. Let me tell you that it's all complete lies. There are no pros to working here. Sure there are some decent people in non-management, but that isn't company related. The people that run this company are cheats and liars, and if you want to get first hand experience seeing how badly a company can be managed - how every market advantage they have can be turned into a disadvantage by sheer incompetence - then I guess you could consider that a PRO.

Cons

It's all downside at Zag. No policies, no planning, constant/extreme dishonesty, rewards brown-nosing - punishes honest assessments, punishment of those that don't go along with the outrageous lies everybody supposed to believe, expectation to work all hours of day and to go along with CEOs insane hair-brained schemes, expectation to literally idolize CEO and his obviously fabricated backstory (not joking - think North Korea). This place is crazy.

Advice to Management

CEO is beyond advice....he needs serious psychological help. To the rest of the management that's still there: grow a spine. Cowards.

"Great people, poor decisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group (More than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were great. The HR team did a great job finding the right people.

Cons

Executive team wasn't open to communication

Advice to Management

Use the right people in the right way.

"It started off so well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office, the now laid off cultural coordinator who organized monthly lunch and learns and group activities.
    If you have the right attitude when you first arrive, you are given lots of praise and promoted quickly.
    The front line staff are the most remarkable people. Even after the big layoff everyone still hangs out.

Cons

The CEOs attention flits from idea to idea. So you'll be told to run full steam ahead on something and just before you're done it gets canceled or changed completely. This is actually a weekly occurrence.
    Trying to take the time to do things correctly in belittled.
    Any type of planning or structure is undermined.
    The CEO believes his ideas are the best, neglects to communicate them and then berates you for doing a crappy job (just because it was different than his vision).

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to learn that his strength is start-ups and leave the running of a business to people who know how to manage. This could have been a great company but instead got stuck in start-up mode for 10 years and then collapsed.

"Administration"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company is stiffing employees and suppliers for payments and wages

Cons

Public knowledge that Receivership has arrived at Zag Group, Steve Curtis's shining light has burnt out. Like I said before
    what goes around comes around mr Con artist

Advice to Management

Never trust a mentally unstable CEO

"How could he lie?"

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of really good, talented people get sucked in to working here. And then get fired.

Cons

CEO lutes you in with a compelling, heart-renting, heroic story of his recovery from Stage 4 T-cell cancer using herbs. He travelled through south east Asia with a botanist and a doctor documenting and ingesting ancient remedies from exotic plants. And instead of dying, he managed a complete recovery!! Amazing!
    Steve Curtis is the first man in the whole world to cure cancer. And he did it with natural herbs.
    But he doesn't sell them.
    He doesn't even sell the formula.
    He doesn't even license this remarkable combination of plants for research or formulation.
    Odd, don't you think?
    Sitting on the biggest goldmine of the modern world. The human health possibilities. The insane billions in pharma patents, licensing and production.
    He says a lot of things that turn out not to be true. Like Zag doubling its revenue annually and pushing north of $500 million in sales this year or having a global exclusive on sourcing rare pain-relieving plants (kratom). Or even what he prints on his drink labels which is quite different from what he puts in the drink.
    This cancer story is a whopper. It's the foundation of his business. But, like his financial projections, it also seems to be a total con.

Advice to Management

Whatever.
    You know what you've joined.
    You deserve the CEO you tolerate.

"Do not believe anything CEO, Steve Curtis says..."

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being "laid-off" was a true blessing in disguise. At first it sucked because I was making really good money in sales however, weeks after I was laid-off, they changed the entire compensation structure and sales reps were making 50% less. It's funny, I only read a few of the recent reviews and it appears NOTHING has changed with how Steve Curtis runs this company. If anything, it appears to have gotten worse. How they're still even in business, blows my mind. Perhaps they will be forced to shut down or move to another city because only an idiot would apply after reading all the negative and TRUTHFUL reviews.

If you're wondering why there were some "positive" reviews... the truth is, they were literally paying current staff to write them. That's how desperate they are... paying staff to write fake reviews.... LOL

Cons

Steve Curtis, Steve Curtis, and Steve Curtis.

Advice to Management

Karma will get you sooner or later...be prepared.

"Just stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They allow you to bring your dog to work. There were 15 minute massages every Friday. They had a snack bar. They are conveniently located in the heart of Gastown.

Cons

Where to start... They recently let go of about 80% of their staff because they just couldn't pay us. They claim to make ethnobotanicals and neutraceuticals to help you improve the way you enjoy your life... More like help you get high on extremely processed and toxic herbs to get you high and make you forget about what's wrong with your life. The company and the product do not promote any type of healthy lifestyle. Because the product is considered illegal in some places they have not been able to secure long term sustainable production. Despite the best of intentions, everything is done in chaotic/reactive way because there is no way to get reliable information and proper planning and execution of projects. The benefits are all part of a scheme to give the appearance of being a balanced company that looks after their employees but it's all a plot to mask the real issues. I doubt they still have the massages and snack bar since they haven't been able to properly pay off their staff, let alone pay their suppliers and vendors. People come and go from ZAG because everybody's skills are undermined and in the end you just have to go against your values and everything that makes sense and do what the CEO says. The CFO is just a puppet of the CEO with no skill in his field or any common business sense as matter of fact. Their "impossible is possible' motto is just their way of making you feel incompetent or unable for questioning any of their unethical practices and not immediately agreeing to whatever's their whim.

Advice to Management

How do you give advise when there's so much wrong with a company? Even if you were able to get a proper CEO and CFO you have no hope of turning this around.