ZAG Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Full-time Part-time

1.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Tara Burke

Pros
  • Massages every Friday, running club, lounge with foosball, healthy snacks to destress (in 4 reviews)

• Dogs in the office, the now laid off cultural coordinator who organized monthly lunch and learns and group activities (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • How this Steve Curtis guy got E&Y award is a shame to E&Y selection committee (in 8 reviews)

• the HR department is a revolving door, always a new shiny hopeful face (in 5 reviews)

"Now The Truth"

Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Marketing in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I left one of the enthusiastic positive reviews stating a number of pros. I had just been hired, and was strongly encouraged (but sadly not paid as some have suggested) to post a review. I bought into the story of the CEO and all the hype. Let me tell you that it's all complete lies. There are no pros to working here. Sure there are some decent people in non-management, but that isn't company related. The people that run this company are cheats and liars, and if you want to get first hand experience seeing how badly a company can be managed - how every market advantage they have can be turned into a disadvantage by sheer incompetence - then I guess you could consider that a PRO.

Cons

It's all downside at Zag. No policies, no planning, constant/extreme dishonesty, rewards brown-nosing - punishes honest assessments, punishment of those that don't go along with the outrageous lies everybody supposed to believe, expectation to work all hours of day and to go along with CEOs insane hair-brained schemes, expectation to literally idolize CEO and his obviously fabricated backstory (not joking - think North Korea). This place is crazy.

Advice to Management

CEO is beyond advice....he needs serious psychological help. To the rest of the management that's still there: grow a spine. Cowards.

"Avoid like the plague"

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am not one to bad mouth people or companies but what was done at Zag requires me to forewarn anyone who thinks about joining Zag, Zend, or Resilient Management. Save yourself the stress, unethical and immoral behavior, AND ESPECIALLY the cheap parlor stories of how great a person Steve is and how much he's done for the world. Just know if everyone is saying the exact same things - all negative, its because it is true.

Cons

Zag, Zend, and Resilient Management are all the same - run by Steve Curtis. Steve Curtis is an over exaggerating, ego driven, self centered, unethical person who will take from everyone and everything around him to better himself while leaving everyone else behind. Everything he says about his "businesses" are over exaggerated and not true. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH and call him on his BS. I wish i did a lot sooner. Have a look at all the law suits against him and know that Curtis isn't his real last name. He changed it because of the law suits.

"ZzzzzigZag"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of people with high, hopes enthusiasm and energy. Office location is great and nobody stole my lunch.

Cons

Steve Curtis is a shorter younger poorer version of Donald Trump or Kim Jong Il. Trying to build aura around himself without the genuine attraction needed so resorts to games.

Advice to Management

Get some money, products, leadership, and a business model.

"Great people, poor decisions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group (More than a year)

Pros

People I worked with were great. The HR team did a great job finding the right people.

Cons

Executive team wasn't open to communication

Advice to Management

Use the right people in the right way.

"It started off so well"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office, the now laid off cultural coordinator who organized monthly lunch and learns and group activities.
    If you have the right attitude when you first arrive, you are given lots of praise and promoted quickly.
    The front line staff are the most remarkable people. Even after the big layoff everyone still hangs out.

Cons

The CEOs attention flits from idea to idea. So you'll be told to run full steam ahead on something and just before you're done it gets canceled or changed completely. This is actually a weekly occurrence.
    Trying to take the time to do things correctly in belittled.
    Any type of planning or structure is undermined.
    The CEO believes his ideas are the best, neglects to communicate them and then berates you for doing a crappy job (just because it was different than his vision).

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to learn that his strength is start-ups and leave the running of a business to people who know how to manage. This could have been a great company but instead got stuck in start-up mode for 10 years and then collapsed.

"Administration"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

company is stiffing employees and suppliers for payments and wages

Cons

Public knowledge that Receivership has arrived at Zag Group, Steve Curtis's shining light has burnt out. Like I said before
    what goes around comes around mr Con artist

Advice to Management

Never trust a mentally unstable CEO

"How could he lie?"

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of really good, talented people get sucked in to working here. And then get fired.

Cons

CEO lutes you in with a compelling, heart-renting, heroic story of his recovery from Stage 4 T-cell cancer using herbs. He travelled through south east Asia with a botanist and a doctor documenting and ingesting ancient remedies from exotic plants. And instead of dying, he managed a complete recovery!! Amazing!
    Steve Curtis is the first man in the whole world to cure cancer. And he did it with natural herbs.
    But he doesn't sell them.
    He doesn't even sell the formula.
    He doesn't even license this remarkable combination of plants for research or formulation.
    Odd, don't you think?
    Sitting on the biggest goldmine of the modern world. The human health possibilities. The insane billions in pharma patents, licensing and production.
    He says a lot of things that turn out not to be true. Like Zag doubling its revenue annually and pushing north of $500 million in sales this year or having a global exclusive on sourcing rare pain-relieving plants (kratom). Or even what he prints on his drink labels which is quite different from what he puts in the drink.
    This cancer story is a whopper. It's the foundation of his business. But, like his financial projections, it also seems to be a total con.

Advice to Management

Whatever.
    You know what you've joined.
    You deserve the CEO you tolerate.

"Do not believe anything CEO, Steve Curtis says..."

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being "laid-off" was a true blessing in disguise. At first it sucked because I was making really good money in sales however, weeks after I was laid-off, they changed the entire compensation structure and sales reps were making 50% less. It's funny, I only read a few of the recent reviews and it appears NOTHING has changed with how Steve Curtis runs this company. If anything, it appears to have gotten worse. How they're still even in business, blows my mind. Perhaps they will be forced to shut down or move to another city because only an idiot would apply after reading all the negative and TRUTHFUL reviews.

If you're wondering why there were some "positive" reviews... the truth is, they were literally paying current staff to write them. That's how desperate they are... paying staff to write fake reviews.... LOL

Cons

Steve Curtis, Steve Curtis, and Steve Curtis.

Advice to Management

Karma will get you sooner or later...be prepared.

"Just stay away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I worked at ZAG Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They allow you to bring your dog to work. There were 15 minute massages every Friday. They had a snack bar. They are conveniently located in the heart of Gastown.

Cons

Where to start... They recently let go of about 80% of their staff because they just couldn't pay us. They claim to make ethnobotanicals and neutraceuticals to help you improve the way you enjoy your life... More like help you get high on extremely processed and toxic herbs to get you high and make you forget about what's wrong with your life. The company and the product do not promote any type of healthy lifestyle. Because the product is considered illegal in some places they have not been able to secure long term sustainable production. Despite the best of intentions, everything is done in chaotic/reactive way because there is no way to get reliable information and proper planning and execution of projects. The benefits are all part of a scheme to give the appearance of being a balanced company that looks after their employees but it's all a plot to mask the real issues. I doubt they still have the massages and snack bar since they haven't been able to properly pay off their staff, let alone pay their suppliers and vendors. People come and go from ZAG because everybody's skills are undermined and in the end you just have to go against your values and everything that makes sense and do what the CEO says. The CFO is just a puppet of the CEO with no skill in his field or any common business sense as matter of fact. Their "impossible is possible' motto is just their way of making you feel incompetent or unable for questioning any of their unethical practices and not immediately agreeing to whatever's their whim.

Advice to Management

How do you give advise when there's so much wrong with a company? Even if you were able to get a proper CEO and CFO you have no hope of turning this around.

"Complete Unethical Corner Cutting Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

Pros

There are some nice people outside of senior management which make the day go by faster.

Cons

This company has the goal of making products that make you high. Period. I have worked for almost 7 years in supplement and nutraceutical companies and was told many outright lies during my interviews about what they sold, etc. The company pushes their products to gas stations, liquor stores, and head shops. They sell all products to US market and none of them have gone through the proper legal steps....NONE OF THEM. The US government has a set of rules about how nutraceutical products should be sourced, manufactured, marketed and sold. The company cuts corners at literally every one of these steps. For somebody who enjoys working in this industry it was a shock to me to see how things run here. If you are being interviewed for a job here come prepared with a list of questions about the legality of their ingredients, manufacturing, and marketing and sales. Do your homework. I have since moved on, but I can tell you that I had to answer some very hard questions in interviews at other companies who seem to know about the less than ethical practices of this company.

Advice to Management

Paychecks are nice, we can all agree, but selling your integrity for one isn't any way to live.