Yodle Search Marketing Consultant Reviews

2.2
Yodle Chairman, CEO and President  David L. Brown
David L. Brown
0 Rating

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

The latest conversations about Advertising

251 Comments

Advertising

97.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/advertising/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Yodle~232202
Join the conversation on
  1. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Search Marketing Consultant - 2 Year Employee

Dec 14, 2016 - Search Marketing Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was my first job out of college and to this day I say it was a great first job. I learned a lot at Yodle as a new employee, fresh into my career.

Cons

There weren't a lot of growth opportunities for younger employees in Client Services. I expressed many times that I wanted more opportunities and to do more within my role but management wouldn't allow it without explanation.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Former Employee

If You Want to Join a Sinking Ship...

Oct 21, 2014 - Search Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Work/personal life balance was satisfactory -Learned how to handle client complaints and idiocies -Gained the ability to short their stock once they go public now that it's clear what's under the hood

Cons

-Technology is subpar in a saturated market -Client base consists of fickle, low budget small business owners -Sales skirts direct questions. Will not tell people "Yes or No" regarding the bundle of products and/or service.

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee

Great At First, But Don't Be Fooled.

Oct 21, 2014 - Search Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

9am-6pm; 8 hour workday, with no work expected to be completed at home Enjoyable work environment (with the right manager) Strong benefits - 401k, tuition reimbursement, snacks in kitchen Great first role to learn how to manage a book of business and tough clients.

Cons

The role was quickly transformed from a “Consultation” role to much more of a “Call Center” and “Customer Service” role, with the introduction of mandatory script reading and day-to-day KPIs. Having 150-200 clients, shifts your mentality into a complete reactive one, instead of proactive, as a strong Account Manager should be. One of the most frustrating aspect of the role was the clientele of our book of business. Small business owners with limited knowledge of search marketing, only care about their bottom line and if they were bringing in leads. Having to listen to curse-outs, threats, and BBB complaints was a common occurrence. The company has zero direction of where they would like to be, as they hire new consultants one month, and lay off an entire department the next.

2 people found this review helpful
  4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Search Marketing Consultant: Don't believe the hype

Sep 29, 2014 - Search Marketing Consultant in New York, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great company culture- young, smart people hungry for success. Fun perks like free snacks and company outings, and a fun work environment. Training is very robust, and coworkers are eager to help new employees get on board. Great place to get your foot in the door in digital marketing (but not if your too experienced). My managers were really supportive and great career coaches.

Cons

While management preaches a mission that is built around honesty, work ethic and putting the client first- they only really care about making money at the client's expense. The main product we sell- an SEM bidding algorithm- doesn't perform for the majority of our clients, mainly because we accept tiny budgets and niche businesses that paid search simply isn't right for. Therefore if you are client facing role, be prepared to be cursed out on a daily basis from angry business owners wanting their money back. You end up feeling like a scam artist conning people out of their money instead of a marketing professional, and if you bring up any suggestions on how to make the structure better to actually help our clients, you are reprimanded for being "negative" or ignored. My team saw a 15 person turn over within one calender year...TWICE. You'll be pressured to work holidays like Thanksgiving, and forget about having a manageable work load. You'll be slammed with 200+ screaming angry clients you're forced to speak to regularly. Despite pulling from top tier universities, search consultant roll is basically a call center, where you are forced to read off scripts or get reprimanded. They don't want you to use your brain, just parrot the same script over and over again until the client cancels. If considering a client facing role at Yodle, get ready to be miserable and acquire a drinking habit.

Continue reading