Yelp "business owners" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Yelp Employee Reviews about "business owners"

Updated Mar 11, 2020

3.3
Yelp Co-Founder & CEO Jeremy Stoppelman
Jeremy Stoppelman
1,393 Ratings
Pros
  • "They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday(in 240 reviews)

• "Fully stocked kitchen (though don't eat it everyday, or else you'll gain the Yelp 15)(in 174 reviews)

Cons
  • "The only downside in my opinion is that we are not able to interact with more business owners face to face(in 221 reviews)

• "Sales are drive through cold calls, you'll need to have a growth mindset(in 76 reviews)

Reviews about "business owners"

Return to all Reviews

"Kelly Clarkson - "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)""

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

I apologize if my review is lengthy. I wanted to give as much detail about my experience as possible. Hopefully, my review helps someone. My review is only focused on what I experienced during my time with Yelp, things may have changed since. I was employed by Yelp in the Chicago office from the summer of 2018 to February 2019. I can confidently say it was one of the worst times of my life. My experiences at Yelp mirror a lot of what has already been noted by former and current employees. I, like so many, was grateful to get the call that I had gotten an offer. The thought of working for such a large, well-known tech company was exciting. However, there's a clear distinction, YOU don't work in tech, you work in sales. Welcome to your career. I did not study business or any related major that would lead me to a career in sales. I think most people who end up in sales don't grow up thinking, "I can't wait to cold-call people when I'm older." I had worked in another sales role at another company for about a month where the daily metrics/key performance indicators (KPIs) were 200+ cold-calls, 100+ emails, etc. So, learning that Yelp "only" required about 70 to 80 calls a day and 25 emails was a dream. THAT'S WHERE THEY GET YOU (But more on that later)! In the Chicago office, the BASE is $39,000 (before taxes). Why not $40,000? No one knows. To me, a single twenty-something with no kids, this was enough to afford my modest lifestyle. You will have access to a wellness benefit that can cover your gym membership. Use it. You also receive benefits from day one, which is cool, but not super rare for tech companies and startups. "Plus" there's the possibility of earning commission (But more on that later).

Cons

They typically start people on the second week of the month. So that summer, I along with over 90 other people started our career with Yelp. By the time I left the company, a third of my summer group remained. I didn't necessarily see the high number of new hires as a red flag. I figured maybe they wanted to just knock out training for such a large group at once. I came to realize there is such a high turnover with resignations and firings that it's necessary to hire in such high volume. Training is classroom style for two months. The first two months of employment are the most decent. The first week is solely classroom learning and by week two, you're on the phones and "ready" to go! What they don't tell you in the interview (I asked to be sure, given my prior experience at that other company) is about recycled leads. A recycled lead is a lead that has been contacted by prior reps. In some cases, leads have been getting called since 2013. You can imagine they are super excited to hear from Yelp, AGAIN! I understand that in sales, you will have recycled leads, that's a part of the industry. Maybe the prior salesperson didn't sell the product right and this is YOUR chance to say something different to change their mind. Sure, but no, not at Yelp. There is a script (not unlike most sales roles). That's pretty much all the sales language you get. If you come into the role with some experience, you will have a much better time on the phone. If you're pretty much new to sales, good luck. Yelp uses the same exact script for every single business. Calling a contractor? Nail salon? Psychic? Use the script. If you ask your manager (more on that) for valuable feedback or insight on how to approach a certain lead you are not going to get it. Yelp places new hires on teams of about ten. These teams are given a manager who is also in training. YOUR MANAGER IS BEING TRAINED ON HOW TO BE A MANAGER WHILE YOU ARE BEING TRAINED ON HOW TO BE A SALESPERSON. While the job itself is awful, this can truly make or break your experience. If your manager has had previous managing experience, they may actually be able to assist you on your calls. That's often not the case. Most managers are extremely young, which can be a good thing. These are the people that came straight out of undergrad to Yelp, worked as a rep for 1 1/2 to 2 years and then became a manager trainee. Also, it should be noted there is no real trajectory in this role. You work as a Sales Rep for about a year and if you do well you may become a rep for the Mid-Market or National team. Which just means a different volume of cold-calling. Or you could work a year and become a manager in training to manage other people who cold-call. If you survive all of that for years, you may get to be a director. Tough luck if you're a minority though (at least in the Chicago office). Diversity is kind of a problem and an eyesore. There is a "Wall of Fame" where reps who have closed/sold a certain number get their photo (poorly) photoshopped to a European monarch portrait. This is problematic in itself but the only person of color, a Black man, has the smallest photo on this wall. His face is photoshopped onto the iconic "Napoleon Crossing the Alps" and you can barely make out his tiny face in the painting. There are no directors of color and there are few managers of color as well. The overall aesthetic of the office is young, white recent graduates. The environment is very much like a fraternity/sorority house. It can be very cliquey but you will most likely make friends. The people that work alongside you are generally nice, management and leadership are the people to watch out for. You will bond with your friends over how terrible the job is. However, if you leave and they are still employed with Yelp, you will likely not remain friends. Being friends with someone still employed at Yelp is like looking at your friend claim to be “happy” in an abusive relationship. The environment is one of the worst parts of this role. If you have ever experienced any forms of anxiety or depression, you will definitely be triggered. If you are a recovering alcoholic, your sobriety will be challenged. This office has beer kegs (very much like other tech companies). There are "off-site" events that your manager can plan, which basically means go to a bar and drink. You're basically shamed if you don't want to go to these events. On my particular director group, there was an incentive called "Lunch Club." The first six reps to get to 25k in a month get to have Rosé with the director. This office encourages alcoholism as a coping mechanism for the high stress of the job. They blast music loudly, which doesn’t have to be a bad thing. Please be prepared to hear the same songs every day, sometimes more than one time in a day. I heard Clean Bandit & Zara Larsson's "Symphony" three times in one day. It's a mediocre song at best, imagine being stressed and getting yelled at by business owners, and having to hear "SYMPHONNNNYYYYYYYYYY," multiple times a day. They also played Kelly Clarkson's "Stronger (What Doesn't Kill You)" daily, how fitting. I'm afraid you're wrong Ms. Clarkson, what doesn't kill you just slowly eats away at you. Reps are given a territory (some have geographic regions) which basically has two areas or cities. In my time there, I went from Winnipeg, Manitoba (Canada) & rural Kansas, to Mt. Rushmore, South Dakota & rural Nebraska, to Garland, Texas & Suburban Chicago. These changes happened in six months. You can imagine how frustrating it is to constantly change territories, especially to go from a decent metropolitan area to a tourist attraction that has closed for the season. All reps are treated equal in regards to their assigned territory. It doesn't matter if you have New York City or San Francisco or rural Alabama. You are expected to meet the same KPIs and quota as everyone. Work starts at 8:30 am sharp. If you have a territory in a different time zone as you, oh well. You're still expected to start dialing, even if businesses are closed. I have never been so micro-managed in my life. You're expected to make 80 dials in a day, get 2 pitches (a pitch is when you run through the entire script with a business owner and show them pricing), and close one deal. If you get to lunch time with no pitches, expect your manager to sit down and look at every SINGLE dial you made. Yelp uses Salesforce which gives them multiple reports which allow them to track everything you do, which of course is necessary but it is overused. My manager would sit and say, "You called this restaurant at 10:00 am on Monday, and you called at 11:00 today, did you leave a voicemail? Are you sending an email with every call?" If you get a voicemail when you call a business, you are expected to leave a message and send an email. Imagine calling someone about 6 to 7 times in two weeks (the sales cycle) and leaving the same message and sending poorly constructed email templates. It's harassment. We are encouraged not to use the Do Not Call (DNC) feature in Salesforce. Even if a business owner says, “Please stop calling me! I am NOT interested,” because they didn’t explicitly say “please add me to you Do Not Call list,” you must continue to call and email them. The product doesn't work. Maybe it did a few years ago but the advertising landscape has changed. There are much cheaper and efficient options out there, e.g. Instagram Ads, Facebook Boost Post/Ads, Google Ads. So, trying to tell a hip young nail artist that her Instagram page with 20,000 followers is not as good as a Yelp page is pointless. I have had customers call and complain to me about the product not working. Luckily, I'm a decent human-being, I didn’t over promise like some of the more successful reps do. This role will really mess with your integrity. If you're calling into a rural area, you will feel like crap for forcing a platform on someone who doesn't need it, just to get a sale. Thankfully, there are no contracts, so people can cancel anytime. This will affect your commission should you ever get over that threshold. Reps are only eligible for commission after closing 30k. After that, each month they must reach at least 12k in order to start earning commission. So, you have to close 42k for Yelp before you receive your first commission check of about $120. Commission is paid out separately from your normal salary and also taxed. Most people don’t make it long enough to see commission. Those who do well will note that their commission checks will be affected as their customers cancel their plans. Yelp billed out commission for six months. The highest you could close a business on was a deal worth $540 a month. Yelp assumed they would advertise for six months. $540 X 6 = $3,240 or 3.24k. You would have to close about thirteen “full-comp” deals before you get your first commission check. Of course, there were cheaper plans that would allow for smaller amounts. But reps are really encouraged to push business owners towards spending fifteen dollars a day (or more) so they can get the full-sized deal. Most people stop advertising after realizing the product doesn’t work. It’s cost-per-click (CPC) and does not guarantee any customers. If a contractor has a $23.00 CPC and someone is shopping around for a contractor getting multiple quotes and viewing multiple businesses (like most people do when shopping around). Yelp will charge that business for each click even if it did not result in a job. Because they paid for the “exposure.” When and if you are closing a deal, you have to tell business owners that you will stay in touch with them if they have any questions about their advertising “campaign.” However, my manager encouraged my teammates and I to not answer the phone for customers or to simply give them the inbound support number. This was common practice throughout the office. Once, I sat on a phone with a business owner for thirty minutes and listened to their complaints, they were charge over four-hundred dollars and didn’t get a single client. What are you supposed to say to a small business owner? I simply said, “I’m sorry.” I felt awful and dirty. There is an in-house barista but every drink they have is acidic tasting and quite frankly, they’re rude (I suppose it’s because they are only paid minimum wage). Reps are encouraged to consume copious amounts of espresso to “keep the energy up.” There is also free food in the two kitchens. However, it’s mostly prepackaged food full of preservatives and nitrates. Good luck grabbing a Walmart Ready-Pac salad or frozen hamburger because all employees take their lunch at 12:00 pm. The office has between 650 - 800 people, give or take firings/hiring/resignations. The two kitchens are like war zones. You spend your hour lunch break waiting twenty minutes to use one of the six microwaves. But while you’re waiting for your first check or you’re in-between checks, the food is helpful. Just make sure in between enjoying free coffee, food, and soft-drinks, you don’t use the bathroom too often. Your manager will constantly want to know where you are. There is the option to do overtime, it's not mandatory, but boy if it’s the last day of the month (LDOM) and you’re leaving at 5:30, expect a dirty look. I witnessed the top performer on my team and one of the top performers in my entire group break down in tears. Management took this happy and bright twenty-two-year-old girl and broke her. What can I, a twenty-seven-year-old who has multiple jobs, say to a young girl in her first role? Recent grads are the target demographic for hiring because they are the most vulnerable. They don’t know that a work environment isn’t supposed to be (this) toxic. Another peer on my team had a nervous breakdown (on his birthday), he was also fired a week later (not a lie or embellishment). In fact, in a week’s time, my former team lost five people, three were fired and two quit (another rep and myself). Work isn’t supposed to be “easy” but it shouldn’t be this hard. My manager and director would simply tell reps who were unhappy that they are not trying hard enough. In fact, my director sent out an email with an article about the health benefits of stress. This is an individual who would have group meetings with all the teams under his leadership just to yell at them. He would constantly walk around the floor and scream at people if they looked unhappy. You will be forced to stand up for “power-hours” and no, Yelp does not provide standing desks. In addition to possibly earning commission, you can earn other perks such as McDonalds breakfast sandwiches, Starbucks or Dunkin' Donuts coffee, an off-site with your team to go drink, taking a picture with a musty jersey, or “bragging” rights. So basically, nothing. You will gain or lose weight, depending on how your body handles stress. You will constantly get sick; the stress will make it hard for your immune system. You will age, a year in this role and you will look older and more tired. You will lose motivation to do anything, even on weekends. It will be hard to imagine life before Yelp. Leaving the company has given me such clarity. While applying for other roles, I was given a writing assignment that took me way longer than it should have. I realized that in the months I’d been employed at Yelp, I hadn’t really used my brain for critical thinking. So, after all this you’re still interested in working at Yelp. Best of luck, welcome to your career.

Yelp2019-08-28

January 17, 2020

We appreciate your thoughtful and thorough feedback on your experience at Yelp. We're deeply sorry that your time with us was not what you expected. The things you've mentioned in your review are very far from the experience and overall work culture we work so hard to create here, and its unfortunate that your experience was negative. We go to great lengths during our interview process to set expectations on the challenges of the role, as we never want to spring surprises on anyone on day one. Many tenured employees at Yelp truly enjoy their jobs and find that the continuous challenge is inspiring and helps them grow their skill sets. We understand that this environment might not be for everyone, and in some cases, can be overwhelming. We wish we would have had the opportunity to hear your concerns during your time here, and we wish you only the best in the next step of your career. Thank you for your time with us, we will pass along your feedback to our leadership team so we can continue to make Yelp a great place to work.

2. "Overall decent"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy going, good environment and great pay. Fully stocked kitchen and everything you Need

Cons

Rude business owners. Can be hectic at times.

Yelp2020-03-01

March 4, 2020

Thank you for your hard work and dedication to Yelp! Sales at Yelp are fast-paced and calls for plenty of adaptation and flexibility. We're glad to have you on the team and are thankful for your feedback.

3. "Wouldn't recommend"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Yelp full-time

Pros

Great people, nicely located, and good training.

Cons

You're asking hardworking, sometimes poor, business owners for money on ads that don't work or make sense.

Yelp2020-02-29

March 6, 2020

Thank you for taking a moment to leave feedback on your personal experience at Yelp. We agree that some of the best minds in the business work at Yelp and the Sales Development training given here is among the best. We wish your time with us could have been more positive, we'll pass up your feedback to our team so we can keep making improvements.

Continue reading
  4. "An Amazing Position With An Amazing Company"

Former Employee - Community Ambassador in Bend, OR

I worked at Yelp part-time for more than a year

Pros

Creative freedom Make your own hours Telecommute (I worked while on vacation many times) Make tons of local connections Travel opportunities Work with some talented individuals Its great experience for your resume

Cons

Completing tasks within the allotted work time can be a challenge (time management opportunity) It can be challenging to change disgruntled business owners' perspective of the company, but it can be done!

Yelp2020-02-13

February 18, 2020

Thank you for your five-star feedback! We're happy to hear that you felt empowered by the creative freedom, flexible work hours, and travel opportunities at Yelp! We agree that some of the most talented people work here, and we're glad that you saw the value of your work as a Community Ambassador in Bend, OR. We appreciate your notes and hope we have the chance to work together again soon. Thank you for your service at Yelp!

5. "What An Experience"

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some of the pros of working at Yelp in the NYC office is the amazing people you will meet. Everyone bonds over their individual suffering and it makes the days more bearable. Furthermore, they also offer free coffee, snacks, a fully stocked kitchen, and the employee benefits are pretty good as well.

Cons

If you're someone who is anxious, an addict, or has an obsessive personality; this may not be the place for you. The job is VERY mentally taxing, we're essentially being paid to harass people. When business owners do decide to listen and sign up for the ad program its a great accomplishment but the issue is getting them to listen to you that long. -Your manager can make or break your experience. -Panic attacks are a daily occurrence. -Base salary is low. -Lots of microaggressions. -HR is quick to fire you.

Yelp2020-02-24

February 28, 2020

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're deeply sorry that your time at Yelp was anything but exciting. We know that the AE role is one of the tougher roles at Yelp, as you’re calling on many busy business owners. Cold calling is not an easy role at any company, and that’s why we work hard to make sure you feel supported and valued. It sounds like this wasn't the case during your time with us, and we will share your feedback with our leadership teams so we can keep making improvements. We're thankful for your time at Yelp and wish you the best of luck in your next role.

"Moral Dilemma"

Former Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Yelp full-time for less than a year

Pros

They try to make you feel included using happy hours and booze.

Cons

You are left in a moral dilemma. You call small businesses that cannot afford your product. Or they have used your product and they catch on that the ads and other products do not actually work. You make them false promises that their business is going to get flooded with new customers. And they get angry at you because their positive reviews go away when they do not buy or re-up their ads. You are left feeling icky at the end of the day for being a bully to a small business owner that could just as well be your friend or aunt. The upper management uses happy hours and alcohol to make you feel like you are part of the team. But you can tell it is an act and that you are a cog in the machine. The turnover is ridiculously high because people catch on quick that it is a meat grinder. Some will stay since they are promised big bucks that they will not see (like working for herbalife or another MLM where they fill you with false hopes of money). Or some stay because management try to spin it that they are justified in their awful, dark, and sinister approach to making money.

Yelp2020-03-11

"RUN FAR FAR AWAY"

Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at Yelp full-time

Pros

Yelp as a company is GREAT. Yelp has really awesome values(inclusivity,community). Yelp is also a great platform, it’s just not for every business you could potentially get. Great benefits and base pay is decent.

Cons

The AE role itself is HORRIBLE. We are not even out of training yet and my class is burnt out. You must make X amount of dials a day and are required a certain amount of pitches/closes a day from that. It’s all a numbers game. Doesn’t sound too bad...however what they don’t tell you is: you are calling business owners who have been getting the same call since forever. In hope you can offer a different perspective. So it’s often being cursed out, which you have to answer with an “I understand, but...”, or hang ups as soon as you introduce yourself. The cold calling(borderline harassment) is what gives Yelp a bad name. Especially when you are calling a rural area for a company that just doesn’t need Yelp to prosper. On top of that you are trained to “Tone match” aka be combative too & it’s just calling a business to argue 80% of the time. I could go on and on, but these are the main points that make working for Yelp a daily nightmare.

Yelp2020-01-26

January 28, 2020

Thank you for your honest feedback. We're happy that you're enjoying our culture of diversity and inclusion at Yelp! There is no question about it that the AE is a challenging role, an expectation that we go through great lengths to set during the interview process. As you progress in your career at Yelp, your leadership team is available to provide additional coaching to make sure you're feeling supported in your role. Your manager has been through it all and can provide training when needed, so we encourage you to not be afraid to reach out for help. Additionally, sharing your career goals with your manager can help us understand your long-term needs and even help us find a growth path within Yelp. AE's like you are our "secret sauce" and the reason why Yelp has seen so much growth in recent years. We're always listening to feedback and finding ways to make things easier for our employees, so thank you for sticking with us through these growing pains. We appreciate your hard work and can't wait to see all of the additional growth 2020 will bring!

Continue reading

"Don’t Do It. Just Don’t Do It."

Former Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good benefits (completely covered health, dental, and vision) A barista (free coffee all day) Kegs after work (free beer) Free food (although it’s just pre-packaged salads, freezer food, sandwich fixings, etc. It’s not the best and it gets redundant) You meet a lot of people to go out with and mingle with (especially if you’re a young just-out-of-college kid)

Cons

It’s a horrible day-to-day life to live. The job itself is essentially just harassing people over the phone to buy Yelp advertising. Your manager will make you call these poor business owners every other day (even if they tell you they aren’t interested repeatedly) and will pressure you into selling advertising to people that definitely don’t need it or are not a good fit for the program. If you express completely rational feelings like “I don’t want to bother this guy that has told me he doesn’t want to use our program 10 times” or “I don’t want to pressure this old lady into signing up this knitting business she runs out of her bedroom” then you will be met with ludicrous statements like “Yelp works for everyone” and “They need Yelp, they just don’t know it.” The office (at least the New York one) is also run by a bunch of young and immature managers that treat the sales floor like a hook up scouting area and gossip about their reps and each other. Many managers make inappropriate advances toward reps and generally nothing is done about it. Overall, you just feel like you’re bothering people all day and are pressured by your manager to meet sales goals that are reachable but painful. It’s not worth it, especially since it’s a cold calling role and doesn’t use a true sales process. You’d be better off finding a real sales job at a startup or somewhere that doesn’t force you to drink the corporate koolaid. The base pay is also pretty hard to live on in NYC and the commission structure is pretty lame (the commission checks aren’t worth the amount of stress). My main advice: Just don’t do it. Find a better role somewhere far, far away.

Yelp2020-01-17

January 27, 2020

Thank you for your thorough feedback on your experience at Yelp NY. We're deeply sorry to hear that your time with us wasn't the best. We truly wish we would have had the opportunity to hear your concerns while you were still at Yelp so that we could have found a way to support you. While the fast-paced environment at Yelp is exciting and inspiring for most, we understand it's not for everyone. We appreciate that you took the time to share your feedback with us and will pass it along to our leadership teams so we can keep improving Yelp's products and services and making this a great place to work for all.

9. "Great Environment"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great group of positive sales people. They offer a very good benefits program as well as free food and drink everyday.

Cons

Calling business owners that have a negative set mindset about Yelp

Yelp2020-01-03

January 8, 2020

Thank you for taking a moment to write your feedback! We're so thankful for all of the hard work our Account Executives do day in and day out. It's awesome that you're surrounded by positive teammates and enjoying the perks of working here. We encourage you to have transparent conversations with your manager about any frustrations you may be having. They are here to provide support and help get you to where you want within Yelp. Keep up the great work and cheers to many more years of growth!

Continue reading

"Know what you're getting into (this is entry-level sales)"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Washington, DC

I have been working at Yelp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent benefits, tons of off-site hangout opportunities, free food and beverages, gym, metro accessible, safe working environment, caring leadership, great training, office layout is great, work tools are simplified, and like I said excellent benefits.

Cons

Overall office maturity is a continuation of college students looking to grow out of adolescence and needing help to do so (Broad stroke). Though most of the management core was the mid-20s, the company is working hard to hire external, older adults with more life experience besides college and Yelp. Helpful. Know that you're making high-volume calls to men and women who mostly dislike your call because of the company name and have been called by reps almost every-month since their business has been on Yelp.com. So imagine being a business owner whose first rep called in 2014, they may have had close to 100 calls from 10 different reps trying to convince them to sign up for Yelp Advertisement. That's the job. Your Quota and Target numbers aren't delivering the same financial benefit that you would receive at other sales jobs. They don't mean anything except that they're a bar to hit. What counts are several dials and how many people you can get to sign up for ads, even if they don't stay with Yelp long term. The job is exhausting and mundane. You're "battling it out" with owners, "empowering" their employees to sign up the business in the place of the owner, and your goal is to complete the entire sales process in 30 min. Hopefully, you get a territory that's vibrant with new business and not a region of America, where the population is dwindling and businesses are closing their doors (i.e. New England). Your Q and T aren't based upon region, everyone's Q and T is the same based upon how long you've worked here. My suggestion-talk with reps who have worked here for 2+ years and are still AE and ask for honest opinions about how much they enjoy their role and if they are looking for a different job. Recruiters give you an idea of how much the average rep makes during their tenure, but they don't tell you how many people have left the company during that same period.

Yelp2019-11-27

December 3, 2019

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. We’re glad to hear that you’re enjoying the many perks that come with working at Yelp! One thing you mentioned in the list of Pros is the caring leadership here. We agree that the leaders and managers at Yelp are truly invested in the professional success of all employees, no matter their age or experience. Account Executives have a tough job, as they’re making a good number of calls every day to reach as many business owners as possible. We encourage you to lean on your manager and leadership team for support and encouragement. They can help you push through the hurdles, work through the tough calls, and cheer you on when you close the sale! Thank you for your suggestions and feedback, they ultimately help us make Yelp a better place to work for everyone, and we will pass them along to our leadership teams. We appreciate all of your hard work and look forward to many more years of growth!

Found 221 reviews