Wpromote Employee Reviews about "massages"

Updated Apr 15, 2020

Found 14 of over 218 reviews

4.6
Wpromote Founder and CEO Michael Mothner
Michael Mothner
Pros
  • "You can actually utilize your unlimited PTO here(in 14 reviews)

• "They also offer startup perks like free massages, yoga classes, snacks/coffee, games, and happy hour(in 14 reviews)

• Cons
  • "work life balance can be hard during specific seasons(in 7 reviews)

• "Very rude management, abrasive and reactive work environment(in 6 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "massages"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Excellent for Learning, Growth and Ownership

Apr 15, 2020 - Senior Director in Gainesville, GA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Limitless potential and opportunity. If you put in the work and prove yourself as a solid performer, there is so much upward mobility (or cross-mobility, if you want to try something new). A year or two ago, Wpromote recognized the need for more growth opportunities and created additional tiers of positions to allow for consistent growth and upward potential. As you move up, you can find your "niche" and to an extent really focus on what you most enjoy/where your strengths lie. Additionally, as Wpromote has grown via both acquisitions and organic growth, many have even created new roles or even departments. - Learning and training: One of the biggest advantages of working here is that we have clients of all sizes from all verticals, so you learn a lot, fast. If you have a question, there's almost guaranteed to be someone that can answer it. Especially as we hire at higher levels externally and integrate with our acquired agencies, someone has probably been in your situation or worked with a similar type of client/industry. We also have strong relationships with our external partners and are able to leverage those teams to help with education and learning on an ongoing basis. You are always welcome to join other teams' trainings as well so that you can diversify your knowledge beyond your day-to-day responsibilities. I personally wouldn't leave Wpromote for another agency, because I know this is so rare, but if your goal was to move to the client side you would really be set up for success across the board. - Collaboration: Every successful team I've been on at Wpromote has been incredibly collaborative. We communicate and learn, and we tackle challenges together, not in silos. - Ownership: As we have grown, we have had to put new processes/controls in place - but ultimately account managers still have incredible control and ownership of their book of business. You don't get that at other agencies. - Transparency: The Executive Team is fairly open and transparent about a lot of things, but if you want to know something specific, just ask. I don't know any directors/department heads/upper executives that wouldn't honestly answer your question unless it's related to personnel or something under NDA (like an impending acquisition). - I do believe the Executive Team has our best interests in mind and are willing to listen to feedback. Ultimately they need to prioritize serving our clients, but the best way to do so is to have engaged and happy employees. I have had multiple experiences where I have helped to change an approach by providing my perspective. Not always, of course, but I know from experience they are willing to pivot or change their minds when an alternate viewpoint is worth considering. - Unlimited PTO. I honestly have no idea if I take more time off than I did before we switched to Unlimited, but I am just so much more relaxed and am able to be really flexible with my personal life. No more trying to maneuver half days or trying to work while on personal trips or juggling family commitments -- I just take the day off. I will get the work done! - Similarly, the flexibility to WFA. Even before the COVID pandemic, Wpromote was extremely flexible to work remotely when needed (and just "needing" a day at home counts). When it's crazy cold, or there are CTA issues, knowing I can just say home and comfortable on a moment's notice is a huge weight off my shoulders. It also helps me spend more time with my family, who are spread all over the country. - Other reviews have said that you have to be in LA to get the "full" Wpromote culture. I strongly disagree with that. Each office has its own distinct culture, and I don't think that any one culture is "more" Wpromote than others. While it is true that most of our Executive Team sits in LA, every office does have at least 1-2 executive leaders. FWIW, the Chicago office has a beautiful office with great perks (coffee, snacks, massage chair, common spaces, etc.) that rival LA -- but perks does not = culture.

Cons

- Work-life balance can be tough. There is always a lot going on at Wpromote, and of course clients can be demanding. Sometimes it just takes more than 9-5 to ensure you are doing everything to provide the best possible service for our clients. Especially now that we have so many otherwise amazing tools (Slack, Hangouts, Asana etc.) it's really easy to get sucked back into work as you're trying to sign off (or sucked back in if you quickly check in after dinner or on the weekend). The "downside" of unlimited PTO and WFA is that it makes it easier/more justifiable to work longer hours or on the weekends. - I struggle to consider this a "con" but much of Wpromote's growth in the last few years has been via acquisitions (Chicago is the only organically grown office). I believe the acquisitions have been excellent for bringing in new talent and clients, but there are of course operational gaps with trying to merge multiple teams into one large team. Some of the integrations have been smoother than others, but overall I view integrations as messy and stressful - and can leave lingering differences in POVs, approaches, processes, and even attitudes/culture. - Because we have so many talented, motivated and hard-working people that are looking to "get things done", we often have too many "top priorities" and too many "important projects." Things either fall to the wayside, lower priorities supercede client work/more strategic priorities, or people work too much and burn out. Leadership has been extremely open to conversations around prioritization, but many of us do ultimately take on too much and fall into this trap.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Potential

Apr 8, 2016 - Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

A wide-eyed beginning - Starting at Wpro does not require mountains of experience, which is a great thing. They are willing to take on the risk of transforming you from a very green, fresh out of school person into a fairly decent web marketer. The office is reminiscent of Google - Fine wine Friday, massage chairs, a masseuse, high-tech/low cost vending machines, uber modern design, pet friendly, games and entertainment all around, a clearly young and hip staff, and more amenities than you can shake a stick at! The location and the peer-level coworkers are amazing. Even beyond the building itself, El Segundo is a great place, and the team is generally cohesive and friendly. Young, vibrant, and loud, the Wpro staff is filled with life.

Cons

Transparency, or lack thereof. Although the leadership team speaks endlessly of the importance of being transparent, few actually follow through on this promise. Decisions that have broad effect are given very vague explanations, disclosure is minimal, and excuses are plentiful. It's not what you know, it's who you know. While this is obviously not always the case, and while other companies certainly also have this issue to some extent as well, Wpro has by far the worst problem of favoring "friends" than any other employer in my experience. I have seen a couple of reviews comparing it to a frat house or college dorm, and sadly that isn't terribly inaccurate. Merit is seldom the reason for growth or positive movement. The hierarchy (which was revamped somewhat recently) seems to be built to give the appearance of promotions and growth, but in all actuality is a meaningless loop - you're chasing a hotdog. Compensation is directly related to this false sense of improvement. Each "raise" seems reasonable, aside from the reduction in resources and endless additional responsibility. As someone else mentioned, they are not hostile about pay, but conversation is circular and there is a laundry list of reasons why your monthly paycheck can't change. Money handling, outside of pay, is suspicious as well. While I certainly did not have direct access to any financial information, I watched "perks" dwindle away more and more quickly, laptops repaired or replaced less efficiently, basic maintenance fall behind, and other aspects, like pay, pushed out of view. Meanwhile on social media and "in the public view," there's a shiny new office, a list of perks that looks great on paper, some big names being thrown around. Why do the priorities seem to be out of line? Again, transparency. Client Distribution & Load Issues. Although hiring multiple people per week sounds like you're winning, it really means that you don't have time to train the new people. In a company that hires almost exclusively people with little or no experience, this can balloon in severity very quickly. I watched people who had never hear of SEO take on clients within a couple of weeks of being hired - and of course the experienced team members stepped in to help. This, however, creates a very unstable shift in the overall balance of effort, stress, and sanity of your best people. As the experienced managers become saddled with training, managing their own clients, and managing the new manager's clients, things come unraveled. Also, they're probably getting paid 70% or less of their market value, and they know it. The other side of this problem is that, separate from the overall client load, the client value is a muddy concept. Legacy clients who pay a fraction of what would be reasonable end up consuming large portions of time and resources. They require just as many hours and dollars worth of software to support as clients paying five times as much - and they are often more difficult to serve, given that Wpro has already spent 3+ years optimizing their site. At some point, you have to realize that it is costing you more to keep them as a client than let them go (or charge them more.) But, retention is EVERYTHING, so they sit and fester. Too few verticals are approached (in some areas.) While this is not the case in all departments, I have noticed that they often come to rely on a small number of industries, and even specific vendors within an industry, to support true growth and success. While it can be risky to approach too many, there is by far too little diversification at Wpromote - and client size seems to be an issue as well. There are a small number of robust clients, but a glaring lack of proactive action on larger and more advanced clients. Wpromote, in my opinion, is nicely wedged in a comfort zone of easy clients who rarely know enough to understand what is (or, as is often the case, isn't) happening. Things look great at the beginning, and I think that everyone at Wpromote is generally good, but the shine wears off pretty quickly. There's a distinct group that have been around for a long time, but most of the newer employees, especially those who are highly skilled, seem to leave to other agencies or industries. Wpromote was a great stepping stone, but leaving was the smartest move.

14 people found this review helpful

COO

Thank you for giving your thoughtful and honest feedback. I'm really sorry that you had such a negative experience with us but my guess is that we weren't the best fit for you. With that said, I think that the rest of my response may run the risk of sounding defensive because I genuinely disagree with so many of the points that you made. I'll try to address them one by one. Transparency & Money Handling: So, this one seems strange to me because we've marched towards more and more transparency every month. We did a major restructure of our perks, which is true, but we added more perks than we took away and the perks that were removed were the ones that people weren't using. You even cited our perks specifically under the Pros section, so I'd like to think that we're still doing better than average there. coreFurthermore, I sent an office wide explanation of all of the perks and invited questions in early December. I was happy to field a lot of questions about the changes but, for the most part, people really appreciated the additional transparency. When it comes to financial transparency, we're one of the most transparent private companies that I've ever seen. We share our financials with the entire team on a quarterly basis now and this came form employees reaching out and asking for a deeper understanding of our financial health. So we shared it! Even in areas where we may fall short when it comes to transparency, we're open to change and happy to receive criticism. The one area that will always remain difficult, though, is employee terminations. If we have to let someone go, we often don't share every detail of why the decision was made because that is a very private matter in some cases. The last thing that I'd note is that when we asked the employees about what Wpromote's core values should be, Transparency was one of the most commonly listed. It was listed so often, in fact, that we ADDED transparency to our core values when it wasn't originally on the list. Because it was important to the employees, it became even more important to us. Compensation/Raises: We've made a big push to increase employee compensation to be more competitive. There will always be a venture-backed or public company that can pay you more, however, we are doing the best we can to compete. We reinvested almost every dollar of profits from December into raises for deserving employees at the end of this past year. Can those employees make more money elsewhere? Yes, very likely, but that's not the only driver for many and, frankly, as much as I like having ambitious employees who want to make more and more money, I'd prefer to have people who want to help us build an independent agency in which they can be maximally impactful. I appreciate that you said that we are open to conversations about compensation because we really are. I try to remind employees that there is NEVER a bad time to discuss your compensation if you feel that your value is not commensurate with your take home pay. With that said, every employee is different and compensation is tied to your merit. If you were being given a laundry list of reasons why your pay couldn't increase, it's likely because your performance didn't warrant an increase. Herein lies the difficulty of Glassdoor, though. Your anonymity forces me to guess at your circumstances and your circumstances in the sphere of compensation would be entirely nuanced. I'll just move on to the next point. Who You Know vs. What You Know: This is a pervasive perception that I think will plague us despite any empirical evidence to the contrary. The reason is because we are a company that began with three friends and we got started hiring from a pool of friends and friends of friends. With that said, if you look at the 30-person Exec team outside of the three founders, there are exactly three people that previous knew one of the founders before Wpromote. The vast majority of people who are in Director and Senior Manager roles earned their way to those positions either here or based on their breadth of experience elsewhere. When I look at the promotions and raises that we've given in the last six months, it's all people who have worked their butts off and, more importantly, helped change Wpromote for the better. Compensation is a private matter and, as a result, insidious perceptions about us will prevail because the evidence to the contrary is not public. That leads us to a bit of an impasse, though, on this point. Lack of Diversification of Clients: This claim is just patently false. We have over 1,000 active accounts. There are a few verticals that we'd love to represent more and we certainly have a lot of clients in the very broad E-Commerce space but I'll just post a link to our client page and let other prospective candidates be the judge of our diversification: http://www.wpromote.com/clients Client Load: I'm running out of space but, objectively, client/mgr ratio is down ~15% from last year.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

So far so good

Feb 24, 2016 - Paid Search Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing office. There are massage chairs, onsite masseuse, fine wine & beer on Friday's, Stumptown cold brew coffee on tap, dog friendly office, ping pong, fruit and veggies provided weekly, among many many other perks. The people are great. The managers are knowledgeable and very helpful.

Cons

No Cons at this point. But i'm still pretty new.

Director of HR

Thank you for your review and comments. This is good to hear, especially since you are a newer employee that things are going well for you Please let us know if there is anything we can improve on or keep the same. Looking forward to hearing back from you in a few months.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive, innovative company with superb work-life balance

Jan 11, 2016 - SEO Account Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wpromote is a fun, social company full of happy employees! Wpromote strives to be a leader in digital marketing and succeeds in evolving with technology. This company is ideal for newer marketers looking for agency experience and the opportunity to work on campaigns for a wide variety of companies. Wpromote offers an ultra-flexible schedule including work from home privileges and a dog-friendly campus. They also offer startup perks like free massages, yoga classes, snacks/coffee, games, and happy hour. The office is modern, beautiful, and open plan - each employee is given an Apple Suite and their own desk space. Overall, the management team is transparent and supportive - it's a joy to work here!

Cons

Initial salary offers are below the market average, but talented workers are rewarded fairly with raises and a clear path for promotion within the organization. Also, Wpromote hires many employees who are fresh out of college and promotes primarily from within, so this may not be a good culture fit for older workers.

4 people found this review helpful
    5. 5.0
      Current Employee

The best job I've ever had

Jan 12, 2016 - Account Strategist in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Back in 2012, I was embarking on a new career path and new to Los Angeles. I chose Wpromote because I wanted to work at a fun, growing company, where I could have an impact and meet lots of new people. 3+ years on I have made some incredible friends and love what I do. - The best thing about working here is undoubtably the people. They are a smart, funny, caring bunch. I learn so much from people in all departments. There are some real all-stars that it's a pleasure to work with. - Another huge plus for me is the flexibility in forging my own path here. Upper management are always open to hearing what you want to do with your career. This company really allows and encourages you to take the initiative. - I also recently became a mom and love how accommodating they have been. We now have a Mother's Room for pumping and a "Baby Bonding Bonus" to help a little towards the cost of taking time off. They have also given me the freedom to grow the support base we have for new parents. That is just one example of how they always want to get better and that's what I love about working here. - There are also tons of perks including massages, bagel Fridays, Yoga classes, cereal, subsidized lunch deliveries, an extra day off for your birthday month and much more.

Cons

- Just in the same way the company rewards proactivity and enthusiasm, it's not the best place if you just want to keep your head down and pay the bills. To do well here, you need to be motivated. People here really care about doing a good job and if that isn't you, then Wpromote probably isn't the best fit. - The massage list gets pretty full now so you have to sign up way in advance. But that really is a "Wpromote Problem", plus the new massage chairs are pretty incredible as an alternative.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company for entry-level, not good if you want to grow your career

Aug 12, 2015 - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wpromote has an awesome company culture - hands down. For the most part, everyone is very friendly and social. It doesn't have the stuffy corporate culture that a lot of other agencies have. If you're ok with the laid-back California life, this is the perfect place for you. If you need more rigid, structural processes, you're not going to enjoy working here. There is a lot of room to grow horizontally. If you're passionate about something, Wpro will work with you to make it happen by opening up a brand new position for example. There are a lot of super talented people at the company. This is a great place if you're new to the industry because you can learn a lot from your colleagues and Directors (sometimes). Some departments have really great Seniors/Directors that are open-minded and welcoming. 1 weekly 15 minute massage (if you're lucky enough to get a spot) Free Yoga 3 times a week (if you're into Yoga) Subsidized lunches daily (you pay about $5 instead of $10) Free Fruit/Veggies/Snacks Fine Wine Fridays 401K Company matching (but you can only get 20% after being at the company for 2 years, I believe it's about 6-7 years to get the full match) Summer Fridays (half day every other week during the summer) Half-days before holidays Nice office Fancy coffee/soda machine 12 PTO 5 Sick Days Good work life balance depending on the department Laid back vibes based on the department

Cons

Wpro grew way too fast for it's own good. When I got hired, there were less than 100 employees, now we're at 200. Training is a joke in most departments. I know of Specialists, with zero experience who got accounts weeks after getting hired just because we didn't have enough qualified employees to take over. Despite not having enough experienced Managers to take on accounts, the sales team keeps churning out new accounts forcing the current employees to take on more accounts than they should...leading to stress. This is why a lot of people have been leaving for other less stressful jobs. I will be clear that this is not the case company-wide, there are some departments where the work/life balance is much better than other departments. Management is willing to bend over backwards to retain accounts that aren't growing rather than focusing on accounts with growth potential. This can create a lot of bitterness amongst Account Managers that are stuck working with brands that don't care. We are expected to do a lot for our clients even if they are low budget contracts. Pay is horrible! We've lost a lot of talented people to much bigger agencies that pay fair market value. The #1 reason people leave Wpro is because of pay and yet they haven't done much about it. If you leave Wpro, you can easily make $20-$30K more working at another agency. They don't know how to manage their money - I'd much rather have a higher salary than get free fruit/beer thank you very much. If you ask for more money, they get really sensitive about this and it's very unprofessional. There is no set process for salary raises, they have no clue what to tell employees. Lots of shuffling back and forth between the Directors/Executives. With the new structure of the company, I'm starting to see more politics come into play. There are some people that moved into Senior or Director roles that don't have the sufficient knowledge in their field or the experience to lead or manage a team. They only got promoted because they know the right people and have been at the Wpro the longest which really isn't fair to people that have a lot to give back. They say they promote people based on a combination of time at the company and experience, but they are sticklers for the time thing. Some Seniors/Directors are not approachable (personality wise) or don't have the time to help you because they are also managing accounts. Not a good place if you're older/ newly married/trying to start a family. This place reminds me of my dorm in college and can feel like a frat house at times. Most employees are in their 20s (reason being that Wpro recruits young grads because 1) they need a job 2) they are willing to take a lower salary just to get experience). No fully paid maternity/paternity leave - they do the basic California disability leave No childcare benefits No work from home option for most employees (some lucky employees get this benefit) If you want to grow, you have to go out of your way to make it happen. We don't work with a lot of well-known brands, although we do have some in our portfolio. If you want to be challenged and grow your career, you gotta go somewhere else.

16 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0

Work Hard Play Hard

May 14, 2015 - Account Manager in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not only is the company full of young eager professionals that want to learn and work really hard, but they have a ton of fun. They say the motto is "Make Mondays suck less", and they really are able to achieve it. With catered lunches, soccer leagues, yoga classes, cross fit classes, massages, areas to watch sports games or just relax, what's not to love? You will be worked, and there are always going to be bad days dealing with clients, but it's nothing you can overcome with all the team fun each month.

Cons

At times there is a disconnect in what is expected from a client and what is actually feasible to deliver in the initial months. However, as long as expectations are managed and you are good at time management, you will work hard, play hard, and have a ton of fun doing it.

Be the first to find this review helpful

COO

Thanks for the super positive response! We will always battle with getting client expectations to meet the realities of the competitive marketplace but that's a great way to keep us motivated to improve. I think it's a good piece of feedback to share. Thanks for being on our team and for sharing your thoughts!

8. 2.0

The Wal-Mart of Digital Agencies

May 1, 2015 - Anonymous
      Business Outlook

Pros

it's a paycheck? Massage, snacks, free water?

Cons

Very disappointed with their lowball offer. They seem to water down base pay where it really hits home with "benefits". Management is cheap and seems to pigeon-hole folks in roles for long periods of time. They bring in kids off the street to run a boat load of accounts and pay them peanuts. Also, the CEO hired his buddies to run the place so expect favoritism.

16 people found this review helpful

COO

Wow, this is a pretty scathing review, especially from a current employee. I hope that you will consider reaching out to me either directly or through TinyPulse so that we can address your concerns. I am surprised to hear that you feel as if you were low-balled with your offer because I haven't gotten any feedback either through TinyPulse or from any of the Directors that anyone is upset with their compensation. I can only ask that you please address this with someone because we can't fix a problem that we are unaware exists. Although it's difficult to face such harsh feedback from a current employee, I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I'd just pray that you will take this feedback and address me with some specifics so that we can do something to fix it. If you feel that your value is not commensurate with your pay, then we need to address that. If you feel that you've been passed over due to favoritism, then we need to address that. Unfortunately, I can't address those problems from a Glassdoor review although I do hope that this prompts either a direct conversation with me or an anonymous conversation through TinyPulse. Thanks again for posting your criticism. This will at least prompt a conversation but we'll need more details to make the changes that you feel are needed.

9. 4.0

Marketing Specialist

Apr 16, 2015 -  in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wpromote is a fun, young place to work. Most employees are under the age of 35, so it's also a great way to meet new people. The company really prides itself in treating their employees with perks so that they enjoy where they work and come in feeling appreciated. Some of the many perks include flexible hours, free weekly massages, free yoga classes three times a week, free bagels every Friday, free fruit every Monday, free coffee/tea everyday, 25 cent snacks and specialty drinks, lunch & learns, bonding events with your department and the list goes on! The upper management is great at training and teaching newcomers about the industry. What makes the company unique is that the executive team is really transparent and sits at a desk in the open with the rest of the employees. No one has a closed-off office - even the CEO! The office is excited to move to the new, beautiful office in mid June!

Cons

Salaries aren't the best for the industry, but it's an agency, so what do you expect?

1 person found this review helpful
    10. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Work Environment

Feb 19, 2015 - Intern - Hourly in El Segundo, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Wonderful work environment and tons of benefits - free lunches, massages, fine wine Fridays, the works. The people are friendly, the office is relaxed, the bosses are nice. Very supportive and looking for you to succeed. The company is very much a community and I felt happy when working there. Plus, they have a shuffleboard table!

Cons

Pay isn't incredible, but such is life. I could've used more feedback in terms of how to improve as well.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews