WorkSafeBC Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

4.4
WorkSafeBC President and CEO Anne Naser (no image)
Anne Naser
Pros
Cons
  • "Volume of work is high and fast paced(in 4 reviews)

• "Those staff that do slack off essentially take advantage of the union environment(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great place to work!"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Contractor - Administrative

I worked at WorkSafeBC

Pros

Benefits & compensation, work/life balance

Cons

hiring based on seniority hours

2. "Excellent employer"

• Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Retired in Vancouver, BC

I worked at WorkSafeBC full-time

Pros

Promotes work / life balance

Cons

Restrictive work within the policy

3. "Kind people and work-life balance"

Former Contractor - Human Resources Assistant in Richmond, BC

I worked at WorkSafeBC for less than a year

Pros

Kind, hardworking people in each and every department. Chill and relaxed but you can showcase your talents if you have that desire. Great place to work if you accumulate seniority. Job security + work-life balance for sure. Unionized - so depends if you enjoy that type of environment.

Cons

Cons of being a well-oiled machine for processes = lengthier wait times for decision-making. Sometimes, too laid-back environment but you can choose to work hard and you will get recognized for it. If you are looking for a more fast-paced environment, maybe not so much here. Benefits are good for FT employees. None for contract employees.

4. "Productive and Fun"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Richmond, BC

I worked at WorkSafeBC full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of team activities for team building events. They care about their employees. Excellent work life balance and benefits Nice people to work with

Cons

Can get caught up in processes and approvals,slowing delivery.

Continue reading

"Good for skills development, terrible for career advancement"

2.0
    Former Employee - Management
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at WorkSafeBC full-time

Pros

Quality of the work itself was excellent. I was always busy and happy to perform my job. You will pick up considerable skills and develop them. Benefits are excellent as is the pension, but given the recent recession, their investments have tanked and may affect those retiring this year. Work-life balance is generally very good but some people are known to put in 12 hour days as well. Facilities were also excellent (gym, cafeteria).

Cons

There are very few opportunities for advancement here. Employer is known to grossly underpay their staff, even at the management level and up , and yes it's low even for a public sector employer. Just look at the salary database online or ask them for a copy, salaries are a matter of public record. People go for job security, to learn and to serve the public and the greater community. They are known for dropping their employees without warning ,even if all of their past reviews have been great, and there were no performance issues communicated to the employee. There is a meeting room near the entrance where they conduct all of the employee dismissals. It has a cruel nickname known to internal staff which I won't repeat here (and I'm surprised no one has told the media yet). They talk about values but people are often hostile and disrespectful This is especially those on the union side, who will not respond or help out during an emergency because "that's not part of my job description". A lot of women I know who are experts at their jobs are often talked down to by some of the men there, a few of whom like to call them "little lady", which is insulting and sexist, and yet no one does anything to call them out despite the company's endless self-congratulatory cheerleading about their diverse work force. They tell people to stay in their lane. I.e. if you apply for a job you are sometimes told despite your experience that you won't advance, unless you get a different degree. They know what they want and guess what, sometimes even if you've been there a while and know the ropes and have the qualifications, they still do not want you.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Intern - Business Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I worked at WorkSafeBC for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance is really good

Cons

Salary is low and promotions take long

7. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Coordinator

I have been working at WorkSafeBC full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Great benefits - Work-life balance - Reasonable pay - Workload is good

Cons

- Slow to change - Red tape in certain areas

Continue reading
  8. "Supportive and Collaborative Environment"

Current Contractor - Contractor

I have been working at WorkSafeBC for less than a year

Pros

- In my experience, the managers and fellow team members are supportive, collaborative and make an effort to listen and work with you on making a positive difference in your career, in the community and for the organization - its a win-win-win. Other perks include: - Remote work opps, work/life balance , flexibility, great pay and benefits makes going to work rewarding. - There is a campus feel to the Richmond office that reminds me of university days. A coffee shop, a cafeteria which very reasonably priced food options and an onsite gym are a few of the perks of coming into the office. There is plenty of seating and collaborative spaces designed that makes meetings productive as well. - The location is very convenient to transit and major highways

Cons

- There are a lot of systems and processes in place that you have to work with ( typical of public sector organization) so changes don't happen overnight but management is very receptive if you can build a solid case.

WorkSafeBC Response

October 15, 2019Social Media Marketing

Thank you for your feedback, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave a review and are happy to share it with the team. It's great to hear about your experience here at WorkSafeBC. Our team consistently brings our core values to life each and every day in all they do. To read your feedback and learn that our efforts are translating into a more positive experience for you, shows us that by working together, we are all making a positive difference in the workplace. Thank you.

9. "Great"

Current Employee - Purchasing Specialist

I have been working at WorkSafeBC full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, good benefits

Cons

Volume of work is high and fast paced

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Richmond, BC

I worked at WorkSafeBC full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Lots of benefits. Work life balance.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 21 English Reviews