Westwing Home and Living Employee Reviews about "team lead"

Updated Nov 19, 2020

3.8
Westwing Home and Living Founder and CEO Stefan Smalla
Stefan Smalla
Pros
  • "Good working environment, good salary, friendly colleagues, and interesting benefits(in 8 reviews)

• "I am very happy and satisfied with the recruitment process: the emails were answered fast and detailed information was given(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "If you try to go though your team lead or contact other team leads the conversation is lost(in 4 reviews)

• "Number of holidays is lower than the average of startups and companies in Munich, which is really bad in my opinion(in 4 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "team lead"

Return to all Reviews
  1. COVID-19

"Great place to work - great Support even during Corona"

5.0
    • Diversity & Inclusion
    Former Employee - Controller in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time

Pros

- diverse team, super nice colleagues - super guidance during insecure times of Corona - workin athmosphere is excellent

Cons

- direct an honest communication, you have to like it - if you have a high stress level, you habe to communicate to your team lead, but then you will find a solution

Westwing Home and Living Response

November 30, 2020Junior Recruiter

Thank you so much for taking your time to describe your impression about working at Westwing. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at Westwing and really appreciate your positive feedback. We are glad to hear that you felt safe during these turbulent times. All the best for your future.

"***PLEASE READ BEFORE CONSIDERING WORKING HERE ***"

1.0
    Former Employee - Marketing in Garching b.München

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I Met some cool people

Cons

Working Atmosphere Huge open offices with huge windows with mix of daylight and florescent lights. This causing lots of glare on the screens. Not so fun when you have people jammed in a room sitting on top of each other. Plus side is that home office is possible and not issues. Communication No structure for communication. If you try to go though your team lead or contact other team leads the conversation is lost. There is no hierarchy when it comes to getting the message to the correct person. A lot of this has to do with the team leads with little to no experience. Colleagues Closeness Most colleagues work well but some are back stabbing just to get the rank in the company. I have seen this with multiple colleagues where this one person has had this person fired or made quite. My guess is that they feel threatened by ones ability. Work-life balance Most of the time when requested to have time off it was never an issue. But I have seen others where they are required to work long hours without mandated breaks or being compensated. Its also not possible to take holidays during a certain time of year. Its your holiday and what if you have family time in other parts of the world at this time. I’m sorry but you are given holiday time you should take when you want. Superiors Behavior Again team leads are very inexperienced, so they don’t know how to handle the situations or manage people with such conflicts. Some team leads were interns about 2 years ago. Conflicts are either ignored or eliminated by getting rid of the person. Interesting Tasks When the interview happened to become part of Westwing they make it seem that you are your own person. You get to make new ideas and come to the for front. In reality you are a robot and when you want to push the envelope its immediately shut down by your team lead. Again Team leads with no experience in the role they are doing so to move this idea up the ladder the lead has to know what they are talking about. This is far from the case. I’m speaking in Content marketing and content production in particular. Equal Rights Westwing will hire international expats looking for visa’s. Even though they provide the work visa this gives the opportunity to pay lower to un realistic wage in Munich. Dealing with Senior Colleagues Most of Westwing is under 30 but very few are older and have experience. But when having to deal with these people its normally a lot easier. Working Conditions Huge open offices with huge windows with mix of daylight and florescent lights. This causing lots of glare on the screens. While doing graphics , photos or video is can be harmful to the eyes not to mention the color tones to final products. There is a lot of non work related banter. Some people think this is nice but this is not conducive for work. While working on locations you are expected to work long hours while not be provided legally alleged breaks. Food is never provided when most of these locations are remote with out given transportation and being walking distance to a shop. While at the office there is not many lunch options close by one place. Lunch is provided at a discounted rate Mon-Thurs and a food machine that is sold out very fast. For anytime you want something. I am a person that likes to leave the office specially in this environment. Environmental / social awareness People pretty much stay in groups and any team events they are not set up in way to mingle with in the company to chat with other colleagues Content / benefits Really not much benefits besides discounts on the website. This is not benefit when you don’t need or want the style of products. Westwing serves really only one type of style. With the low salary that Westwing Provides its still hard to afford some of the items if you did like them. After seeing most of the products in person and working closely, you see how really bad they are. When hired they say that free coffee and tea but in my eyes this is not a benefit. Most of the companies I worked at in last 10 years have great snacks and drinks and don’t count this as benefit. Image The image of the company is said to be middle aged house wife or mom. But the image inside the company is young and under 30. I really don’t know how marketing can happen when these people cant relate. Career / development Westwing also takes advantage of this by doing promotions with in the company. Allotting of promotions is done in kindergarten style, Meaning over actual ability / skills. The designated promoted person is not given any training regarding the new role because there in fact no one there to just do this. In simple words Westwing is a structure less madhouse. I have seen many job postings for marketing / content production roles making me thing this is marketing agency with in a larger umbrella. Not the case. Almost all of the marketing team leads have little to no experience in either marketing or video / photo production. Yet they are managing teams. Westwing has the most ridiculous job roles and tittles to people. I understand this is E Commerce company but when you produce content there is still a level of production and know-age that has to be met. This makes for saving time and money making the creative efficient. At Westwing this is far from the case! Please don’t waste your time working here if you have other options I would advise you to explore.

3. "Nice place to work"

Former Employee - International Business Development Manager in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can learn a lot. Great people.

Cons

It really depends a lot who will be your team lead. No development program.

"Leadership is just a joke"

1.0
    Former Employee - N/A in Munich, Bavaria

I worked at Westwing Home and Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nice and motivated international team, inspiring colleagues, which is also logical, cause otherwise there is no way of surviving these crazy 60 hours weeks

Cons

Salaries are as low as it can get for Munich. At least 20% below market level. You only get 1 year contracts, 50% of which are not prolonged in spite of initial promises to do so. Don't believe what HR or your Team Lead tells you. In the end, it is a lottery if you stay or not. Leadership's just a joke, top management recurs to management by fear and deliberately picks weak leaders for mid-management roles so that their erratic decisions are never challenged or questioned. Real experts and top-performers are not promoted, but managed by people with no work experience at all. There are countless examples of great people with serious work experience in the industry and guess by whom they are managed? Youngsters that become team leads after an internship of 6 months. And no, I am not talking of some strange, singular cases, but this happened way too often to be just an exception.

Westwing Home and Living Response

June 26, 2018Junior HR Specialist

Thank you very much for this sincere review. We truly appreciate your feedback and take it very seriously. Regarding work-life-balance, we urge our team leads to pay attention to the working hours as well as the workload of their team members. At Westwing, we offer young talents the opportunity to grow and take over responsibility. Thus, we indeed have some rather unexperienced team leads. But we as a company are continuously trying to support them to become great leaders! For example, we introduced an upward feedback giving every employee the opportunity to evaluate their supervisor anonymously twice a year and a pulse check asking employees about their well-being at Westwing, also twice a year. Based on the results of these surveys, we can initiate steps to increasingly improve ourselves as an organization.

Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 English Reviews

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.