Western Governors University Reviews

3.8
Western Governors University President Scott D. Pulsipher
Scott D. Pulsipher
Pros
Cons
  • "Mentors are evaluated on stats (KPI) and SLA's that are widely out of their control(in 52 reviews)

• "Cannot work from home when we are an online university(in 39 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

4.0
    Current Employee - Evaluator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great support system, flexible hours, and rewarding work

Cons

Pay isn't the best for a nurse.

2. "Great part-time gig"

Current Employee - Evaluator in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible Work Schedule; Work from Home

Cons

Very little chance for advancement in our department; sometimes hours are reduced when student submissions lag

3. "Enrollment Counselor"

Current Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Best company to work for. They actually care about their employees. A lot of opportunity to advance.

Cons

Not the best base pay but still have opportunites to get raises and promote.

4. "Wonderful Opportunity Employer"

Former Employee - Enrollment Counselor in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great pay for not needing prior experience - Paid holidays and generous holiday and sick leave - Friendly environment

Cons

- Leveling process is confusing

5. COVID-19

"WGU Cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

WGU has been SUCH a blessing to work for. COvid hit and WGU imediatly moved all employees to work remotely. THey have gone above and beyond in creating a flexible working evironment especially for those that need daycare or have kids at home. They truley care about ensuring our workforces is safe and happy.

Cons

None. this is truly a great place to work!

6. "Program Mentor"

Former Employee - Program Mentor in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Western Governors University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Remote work and set your

Cons

Sometimes a heavy student load each month

7. "Excellent organization"

Current Employee - Senior Evaluator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Compassionate employees and leadership , flexible schedule, opportunity to make a difference

Cons

Pay is not always competitive

People & Talent

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review! We are also quite proud of the fierce compassion and dedication that our employees display on a daily basis. Thank you for being a part of that! WGU provides a generous, Market based Total Rewards Package that incentivizes and rewards employees for their contributions. This package is reviewed on a regular basis for overall competitiveness and to ensure alignment with Corporate Goals and overall Total Rewards Philosophy. If you have any additional questions, please reach out to people@wgu.edu. Thank you again for your valuable feedback!

"Leadership is inconsistent"

Current Employee - Specialist

Pros

Work from home, great benefits and health insurance incentives, colleagues, ability to help students

Cons

mid-level management is a joke and there is a 'good ole boy' system in place at WGU that is systemic and toxic. Many of the mid-high level leadership employees have been at WGU since it's inception or for several years. They protect one another while simultaneously bullying and squashing good employees beneath them if they feel threatened.

9. "Great place"

Former Employee - Online Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Western Governors University part-time

Pros

Remote opportunities Caring culture Meaningful work

Cons

Very little negatives working there

People & Talent

Thank you for your review! We are grateful for the kind words and for your time here at WGU.

"Performance reviews are a joke!"

2.0
    Current Employee - Accountant in Salt Lake City, UT
    No Opinion of CEO

Pros

They promote flexible work environment.

Cons

No annual salary increment. CEO declared $600 bonus and that is it! Bonus without Salary increment (based on performance or otherwise) essentially means one time expense for the company and disregards the effort put in my employee throughout the year. That is Unfair!!

People & Talent

Hi and thank you for leaving a review. We understand you have some concerns about how we calculate salary increments and we'd like to take an opportunity to offer some more clarity around our process. The $600 was a discretionary spot bonus for company achieved goals and measurables which is different from the annual performance increases which are driven by company philosophy and individual performance. We go through the annual performance increases process each year in the fall and are currently going through this process at the time of this posting. If you still have any concerns or questions which we didn't address here, please e-mail people@wgu.edu. Thank you again for giving us the opportunity to address your review.

Found 726 reviews