Western Financial Group "senior management" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews about "senior management"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "can make either great money or pretty much minimum wage"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Good pay if u sell alot. All phone sales. good benefits. (must enjoy cold calling companies all day everyday)

Cons

If you don't sell every month (most don't) you dont work there anymore. Very high turnover (reps and mgmnt). Senior management is out to lunch

"Insurance"

Pros

No much benefits same as anywhere else

Cons

terrible senior management they don't care about the staff and come into the branch with their superiors bragging about the changes in the company and lying the whole time while you have to be polite and agree with them or you will be reprimanded. Why have employee surveys if we are told what to say and do and we could not be negative on them or they will get upset with the branch manager for not having positive staff. We worked hard as always understafffed and ended up with minimal bonuses every three months. A lot of long term employees have quit in the last couple of years because of the changes as we were told just to suck it up.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to staff at branch level!!!!

"Toxic and Dysfunctional Senior Management make for a very poor work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in High River, AB
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in High River, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many caring and hardworking staff made was the only positive in my work experience at Western

Cons

Senior management is too concerned with their own egos and too busy congratulating themselves for the victories of the staff. No vision and no apparent desire to have a clear vision. Leadership will talk the talk but do not walk the walk. If you are smart and creative then you are in the wrong place....too much of a threat to leadership.

Advice to Management

Think about how what you do everyday impacts the staff, the people doing the work, and not yourselves. Once this was a go to place for employment......... not at present though.

"Absolutely wonderful people."

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people that work in the branches are some of the most caring and client focused people you will ever meet. They care about the company and it's values. They are completely loyal and dedicated to former owner and founder Scott Tannis. As a former employee, I still conduct my personal business with Western offices.

Cons

The former President Scott Tannis, has stepped down. The new President, Jeff Burke, was brought in from the outside the company. His focus is in attaining profits at any cost. The first item cut was the core values. Trust and Loyalty became a thing of the past. Many of the senior management and support people were given the axe with no notice. Loyal employees are leaving as they do not trust the current leadership. Middle management recognizes the problem, but know that if they speak up against the president, it will cost them their jobs as well. Jeff has insulated himself with people who will tell him what he wants to hear and removes the people who do not immediately agree with him.
    In a time when most companies are investing in employee engagement as a tool to drive business success, it is sad to see a company like Western who had high employee engagement abandoned it for short term profits.

Advice to Management

My advice to Dejardin is to watch closely the health of their investment. They purchased Western to make money and it is a great investment. You need to look beyond the balance sheet to ensure that the senior leadership is managing your investment in a sustainable way. I am confident that Jeff Burke will exceed the profit targets this year, What is worrying the employees is what state the company will be in next year?