Western Financial Group "head office" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Western Financial Group Employee Reviews about "head office"

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Head office is a great place to work. Everyone is extremely friendly and they definitely promote a work-life balance. They are a growing company and make you feel like you are a part of what they are building.

Cons

The pay isn't as high as it would be in Calgary. There are social events throughout the month but it is not overly social outside of your team. Most people eat lunch at their desk and there are not many options to get out of the office because of location.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees. Maybe look at a better compensation structure that would entice people from the city to High River.

2. "Best Job In Town!"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Great work-life balance
    Management Cares and the branch is like family
    Engaged co-workers
    Lots of career opportunities
    Business goals and targets that challenge you to be your best
    Team excels together

Cons

Not a lot of contact with head office

"Had enough"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I'm sure there are some out there but my experience has been overwhelmingly negative

Cons

Where do I start.

- Unreasonable expectations/workload
    - Huge amounts of inconsistency between departments and even within departments - you can get 5 different answers to the same question without looking very hard and no matter which way you do it you will get in trouble from the other 4 people for doing it wrong.
    - Managers appear to be able to get away with anything, and if an employee makes a complaint head office sides with the manager without question (and usually without even looking into the situation)
    - I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it with this advice: work elsewhere unless you're prepared to hold your tongue and never question anything while putting up with mistreatment that borders on abuse.

Advice to Management

Judging from these reviews, every one at the Medicine Hat branch is happy (and decided to report this on the same day as each other), perhaps you should model everything after that branch.

Western Financial Group Response

29 May, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We’re glad to hear that there are some pros of the job, however, we were disappointed to hear that you’ve been having a tough time with your... More

"Not good"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good for a small town

Cons

Worst micromanagement. Upper management has no idea how employees in branches really feel because they only hear from their managers. No training although head office wants to believe they have the best training. Fairness is one of the key items they note in everything they do but doesn't apply at all to employees.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want to hear from employees.

Western Financial Group Response

23 May, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to learn that your experience lately has not matched our intention of being a great place to work and, values that include... More

"A political nightmare......unless you like that sort of thing!"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work life balance and compensation

Cons

The corrupt and political nightmare that is Head Office in High River. Employees live in fear due to lack of job stability and inappropriate behaviour of other employees and management.

Advice to Management

Culture is set from the top down and since it's toxic, I suppose part of the solution is removing problem people from management. I would also relocate Head Office to a larger city where a larger pool of talent is available.

"Disorganize"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laval, QC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laval, QC

Pros

really good benefits plan and ok pay

Cons

The office its in Laval, Québec and head office at Winnipeg it can be frustrating and complicated. Also the management is disorganize.

Advice to Management

Be more patient with new employee and give them training

"It's a sinking ship, watch out IT pros!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High River, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in High River, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- IT Management is trying to make things better, we have never had a clearer picture of what we need to do and how to get there

- Head Office is trying to bring fun back into the work place

Cons

The management in IT is trying to make things better but it's easy to see that the business is disorganized, driven by pure sales and profit margin to try to even understand or bring IT to the table to better align. IT has clear strategic goals but we have no idea what the businesses goals are; or even what Desjardins wants from us.

Out CEO is leaving after 1 year, Desjardins just announced the sale of our pet company.. What / who is next? Seems like the ship is sinking and we are cutting our loses.

Advice to Management

Sales is critically important but operational excellence will drive the profit margin and provide employees with a clear understanding of what is expected of them and when. The company needs better alignment.

"Clean out the dead weight"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turner Valley, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Turner Valley, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All good people for the most part. Acting CEO, the founder is a wonderful person. So were many of the VP's that have since departed. Head Office is rural, so they understand the needs of the rural customer.

Cons

Too many IT Managers with insufficient skills but making decisions. Western is weeding out nice to have positions to cut expenses, seeing many people depart and more to come. Hopefully they will look at Winnipeg and cut a few of silo thinking managers. Also, why does the PMO have a Manager for 3 PM's, I'd say that is micro management. You have Managers will no people skills in many of the divisions (WFIC and WLA). Employee engagement is way down, clean up HR, they are beyond a clicky crowd, poor people skills, and escalate without the right skills. It's a disaster right now, stir clear until Desjardins cleans up the mess the former CEO made of Western.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Manager positions that are not required. Keep spending on employee engagement and the tools employees can use to do a good job. Everything isn't about spending less, sometimes its about spending money in the right places. 50% turnover of staff is not looking good on you.

"Cold unfeeling upper management"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people, good transfer opportunities.

Cons

Very little head office support, they do not understand the value of having employees at the front line level. They prefer to pay minimum wages, give bad service, and leave the branch managers to struggle through these challenges on their own. And should you choose to actually voice your opinion, say goodbye to your employment. They have zero respect for their employees.

Advice to Management

Look in the mirror in the morning, and ask yourself "How would I live to be treated? With dignity & respect, or spit on like dirt?"

10. "Great people, friendly work atmosphere, a fun place to work."

Current Employee - Shared Corporate Services in High River, AB
    Current Employee - Shared Corporate Services in High River, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Located in a province driven the oil and gas projects, there can be a great deal of stress and anxiety in the workplace with a focus on the almighty dollar. Western is based in rural Alberta, with rural branches all over Western Canada and has somehow avoided being sucked in to the culture of the energy industry which can sometimes come with questionable morals and ethics. There is a focus on profitability and value, but never at the expense of doing what is right.

Rural locations - great to be away from the hustle and bustle, traffic on commute is virtually non-existent.

Cons

Compensation is not the highest amongst competing employers, but Western recognizes this and never claimed to be the top pay employer. Would still be nice to see pay bumped up a bit!

Rural locations - head office located 45-50 minutes from downtown Calgary means 60km+ commutes in each direction. Expensive fuel costs!