Western Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Kenny Nicholls
  1. "Ok place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Super supportive coworkers, lots of team work.

Cons

Training from the head office is really bad. Head office needs to talk to the people in the actual office more, they don’t know what we really need. In office training is ok.

Advice to Management

Managers are all totally different, only one really is supportive and seems to care. One is really condescending and doesn’t know how to talk to people. Be more open with what is happening in the office.

Western Financial Group2018-07-12
  2. "Poor management and scheudle"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

3 weeks vacation a year

Cons

No work life balance Split weeks No paid overtime Expensive benefits

Advice to Management

Poor management with no work life balance...

Western Financial Group2018-06-26

June 28, 2018Social Media Specialist

We value your feedback. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel supported by their management. We appreciate open communication and if you feel comfortable you could speak with your regional manager to address these issues.

3. "Great Company & Culture"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

- Positive work environment encouraging growth and learning; - Competitive salaries; - Engaged leadership team who are not afraid to work hard;

Cons

- Commute is not easy if you do not have your own vehicle.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

Western Financial Group2018-05-15
  4. "Interesting work"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

The variety of project types has kept me her for 5+ years.

Cons

The drive from the city- it is long

Western Financial Group2018-05-14

"Had enough"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I'm sure there are some out there but my experience has been overwhelmingly negative

Cons

Where do I start. - Unreasonable expectations/workload - Huge amounts of inconsistency between departments and even within departments - you can get 5 different answers to the same question without looking very hard and no matter which way you do it you will get in trouble from the other 4 people for doing it wrong. - Managers appear to be able to get away with anything, and if an employee makes a complaint... head office sides with the manager without question (and usually without even looking into the situation) - I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it with this advice: work elsewhere unless you're prepared to hold your tongue and never question anything while putting up with mistreatment that borders on abuse.

Advice to Management

Judging from these reviews, every one at the Medicine Hat branch is happy (and decided to report this on the same day as each other), perhaps you should model everything after that branch.

Western Financial Group2018-05-15

May 29, 2018Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We’re glad to hear that there are some pros of the job, however, we were disappointed to hear that you’ve been having a tough time with your workload and managers. We want to maintain a transparent work experience for all employees ...

"Not good"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay and benefits are good for a small town

Cons

Worst micromanagement. Upper management has no idea how employees in branches really feel because they only hear from their managers. No training although head office wants to believe they have the best training. Fairness is one of the key items they note in everything they do but doesn't apply at all to employees.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want to hear from employees.

Western Financial Group2018-05-13

May 23, 2018Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to learn that your experience lately has not matched our intention of being a great place to work and, values that include truthfulness and fairness. I encourage you to talk to a manager or your regional director because ...

7. "Very quite quite company - no hustle bussle"

Former Employee - Accounting in High River, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time for less than a year

Pros

Fair workload, no unnecessary dump of work. A very calm and quite atmosphere to work. Eases good amount of pressure off you with it. And 37.5 hrs a week is also appreciable.

Cons

Very closed like culture. No major discussions around. Improvement ideas are not valued.

Advice to Management

Please have transparency in the management.

Western Financial Group2018-04-23
  8. "can make either great money or pretty much minimum wage"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Good pay if u sell alot. All phone sales. good benefits. (must enjoy cold calling companies all day everyday)

Cons

If you don't sell every month (most don't) you dont work there anymore. Very high turnover (reps and mgmnt). Senior management is out to lunch

Western Financial Group2018-04-12
  9. "My branch has been a great place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I have read many of the reviews, some very negative. I can only speak from my experience. I am still fairly new to Western and to the insurance field but my experience has been nothing but positive and supportive. The branch management team has supported my growth, they see my success as success for the company. Training has been very structured and well paced. The office environment has been good, this branch... really does feel like a family (and yes, every family has some dysfunction, but compared to other places I have worked this is minor). The pay and benefits are competitive, I have heard that the starting salary is a little lower than other brokerages but the increased vacation and benefits offsets this. One of the things about Western that was most appealing to me is the focus on local community and the push to be involved, whether with fundraising efforts, volunteering, or supporting in other ways. Insurance is very much a corporate endeavor, so if being involved in your community and giving back is also important to you, Western is a great place to do that.

Cons

I am still new to Western, I have not come across much in the way of negatives yet.

Advice to Management

Read through the reviews. Clearly there are some issues in some (perhaps many) of the branches, but not all. Find what is working well, try to replicate it in places where things are not going well. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Western Financial Group2018-01-27

February 8, 2018Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it!

"Great Career"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great people, excellent benefits, 3 weeks vacation to start. Really enjoy the culture.

Cons

Some technology is slow. Working the occasional Saturday.

Western Financial Group2018-01-24

March 8, 2018Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for the review. We appreciate the input!

Found 126 reviews