Western Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.5
Western Financial Group President and CEO Kenny Nicholls
Kenny Nicholls

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They realize there has to be a fair work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "We have really good benefits, 3 weeks of vacation days/year to start along with flex days and sick days" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a lot of contact with head office" (in 8 reviews)

• "The micro management and cancerous environment brought about at the mid management level made the environment extremely toxic" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My branch has been a great place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I have read many of the reviews, some very negative. I can only speak from my experience. I am still fairly new to Western and to the insurance field but my experience has been nothing but positive and supportive. The branch management team has supported my growth, they see my success as success for the company.

Training has been very structured and well paced. The office environment has been good, this branch really does feel like a family (and yes, every family has some dysfunction, but compared to other places I have worked this is minor).

The pay and benefits are competitive, I have heard that the starting salary is a little lower than other brokerages but the increased vacation and benefits offsets this.

One of the things about Western that was most appealing to me is the focus on local community and the push to be involved, whether with fundraising efforts, volunteering, or supporting in other ways. Insurance is very much a corporate endeavor, so if being involved in your community and giving back is also important to you, Western is a great place to do that.

Cons

I am still new to Western, I have not come across much in the way of negatives yet.

Advice to Management

Read through the reviews. Clearly there are some issues in some (perhaps many) of the branches, but not all. Find what is working well, try to replicate it in places where things are not going well. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Western Financial Group Response

8 Feb, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it!

2. "Best company with Career Growth"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I have been with Western Financial Group for over 25 years, have grown with the company and feel it is the best place to work

Cons

There are no concerns with Western

"Do as I say not as I do"

Pros

Some good staff, some great clients. Good health benefits

Cons

Management...too many. They do nothing. Need to open their eyes

Advice to Management

Get rid of the back stabbers, and brown nosers, and actually look at your staff. Overworked underpaid. We do all the work and you're the ones going on extravagant holidays.

"Lack of values and ethics"

Former Employee - Head Office Employee in High River, AB
    Former Employee - Head Office Employee in High River, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful people throughout the company. There is an amazing commitment to community through the Western Communities Foundation.

Cons

Upper management does not have an open door policy. People disappear without announcements. There is a underlying culture of fear of job loss if people speak up. Just smile and do as you're told.

Branch staff are severely unsupported by internal departments and decisions are made based on corporate politics and individual clout than what's best for the customer.

Advice to Management

Take come accountability and stop blaming branch staff for all issues, make a commitment to change for the better.

"Shame on you for the way you treat people."

Current Employee - Director in Winnipeg, MB
    Current Employee - Director in Winnipeg, MB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some great people at the branch level. Access to markets.

Cons

Absolutley all at the executive level. Now, from the regional directors all the way up are a cut throat group who will sell you out to protect themselvs. The HR department is non existent. Extremely uncomfortable interactions with VP’s is an ongoing event. Rediculous “accountability” meetings to embarass you in front of a room full of people is so 18th century it’s crazy if unrealistic budgets aren’t met. Whats worse is that the people determining budget numbers dont have a clue about theit own economical challenges throughout the country but demand numbers are met. People, good people are just a commodity with this company and are disposed of almost daily if the line isnt towed. Not sure how some of these folks sleep at night.

Advice to Management

Not sure anything can be said to you. If there was one thing Inguess it would be that its only a matter of time until you’re found out.

"Toxic Management"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Not a bad place aside from toxic management

Cons

Toxic managers were never held accountable for behaviour

7. "Great company"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Outside city limits (no traffic), employees are nice, management is good, company goals are clearly discussed to all employees

Cons

As this office is situated in High River, it is advisable to have your own car to drive to and from work.

8. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Head office is a great place to work. Everyone is extremely friendly and they definitely promote a work-life balance. They are a growing company and make you feel like you are a part of what they are building.

Cons

The pay isn't as high as it would be in Calgary. There are social events throughout the month but it is not overly social outside of your team. Most people eat lunch at their desk and there are not many options to get out of the office because of location.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees. Maybe look at a better compensation structure that would entice people from the city to High River.

9. "I Truly Enjoy my Career"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in Strathmore, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in Strathmore, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for three and a half years, and have had some of my best experiences with it. I have worked in two of our branches both in Southern Alberta as well as Central Alberta. Each office has helped coach myself in very different ways to be the broker I am today.

I truly believe in Western Financial Groups focus on supporting our communities. I have been largely involved in our charity Support The Cause and I love seeing the impact the money we raise as an office has impacted my community.

Western Financial Group is a fair company to work for, that truly enjoys seeing their employees succeed. When I began three and a half years ago, I started at our front desk as a receptionist. I have since then moved my way through our Personal Lines team. I could not have grown as much I have without the support of my coworkers and management team.

I have recommended two long time friends of my own to the company, who have now become two long term employees to Western Financial Group.

Cons

The pay is a little on the lower side, however they make up for it in their benefits, vacation time as well as their Incentive Program.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

10. "Best Job In Town!"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Great work-life balance
    Management Cares and the branch is like family
    Engaged co-workers
    Lots of career opportunities
    Business goals and targets that challenge you to be your best
    Team excels together

Cons

Not a lot of contact with head office