Western Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.5
Western Financial Group President and CEO Kenny Nicholls
Kenny Nicholls

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "We have really good benefits, 3 weeks of vacation days/year to start along with flex days and sick days" (in 7 reviews)

• "They realize there has to be a fair work/life balance" (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • "No training although head office wants to believe they have the best training" (in 7 reviews)

• "The micro management and cancerous environment brought about at the mid management level made the environment extremely toxic" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My branch has been a great place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I have read many of the reviews, some very negative. I can only speak from my experience. I am still fairly new to Western and to the insurance field but my experience has been nothing but positive and supportive. The branch management team has supported my growth, they see my success as success for the company.

Training has been very structured and well paced. The office environment has been good, this branch really does feel like a family (and yes, every family has some dysfunction, but compared to other places I have worked this is minor).

The pay and benefits are competitive, I have heard that the starting salary is a little lower than other brokerages but the increased vacation and benefits offsets this.

One of the things about Western that was most appealing to me is the focus on local community and the push to be involved, whether with fundraising efforts, volunteering, or supporting in other ways. Insurance is very much a corporate endeavor, so if being involved in your community and giving back is also important to you, Western is a great place to do that.

Cons

I am still new to Western, I have not come across much in the way of negatives yet.

Advice to Management

Read through the reviews. Clearly there are some issues in some (perhaps many) of the branches, but not all. Find what is working well, try to replicate it in places where things are not going well. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

8 Feb, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it!

2. "Great Company & Culture"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

- Positive work environment encouraging growth and learning;
    - Competitive salaries;
    - Engaged leadership team who are not afraid to work hard;

Cons

- Commute is not easy if you do not have your own vehicle.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing.

3. "Interesting work"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

The variety of project types has kept me her for 5+ years.

Cons

The drive from the city- it is long

4. "Had enough"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I'm sure there are some out there but my experience has been overwhelmingly negative

Cons

Where do I start.

- Unreasonable expectations/workload
    - Huge amounts of inconsistency between departments and even within departments - you can get 5 different answers to the same question without looking very hard and no matter which way you do it you will get in trouble from the other 4 people for doing it wrong.
    - Managers appear to be able to get away with anything, and if an employee makes a complaint head office sides with the manager without question (and usually without even looking into the situation)
    - I could go on and on, but I'll just leave it with this advice: work elsewhere unless you're prepared to hold your tongue and never question anything while putting up with mistreatment that borders on abuse.

Advice to Management

Judging from these reviews, every one at the Medicine Hat branch is happy (and decided to report this on the same day as each other), perhaps you should model everything after that branch.

29 May, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We’re glad to hear that there are some pros of the job, however, we were disappointed to hear that you’ve been having a tough time with your... More

5. "Very quite quite company - no hustle bussle"

Former Employee - Accounting in High River, AB
    Former Employee - Accounting in High River, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fair workload, no unnecessary dump of work. A very calm and quite atmosphere to work. Eases good amount of pressure off you with it. And 37.5 hrs a week is also appreciable.

Cons

Very closed like culture. No major discussions around. Improvement ideas are not valued.

Advice to Management

Please have transparency in the management.

6. "Not good"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay and benefits are good for a small town

Cons

Worst micromanagement. Upper management has no idea how employees in branches really feel because they only hear from their managers. No training although head office wants to believe they have the best training. Fairness is one of the key items they note in everything they do but doesn't apply at all to employees.

Advice to Management

Management doesn't want to hear from employees.

23 May, 2018 – Social Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I am sorry to learn that your experience lately has not matched our intention of being a great place to work and, values that include... More

7. "can make either great money or pretty much minimum wage"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Good pay if u sell alot. All phone sales. good benefits. (must enjoy cold calling companies all day everyday)

Cons

If you don't sell every month (most don't) you dont work there anymore. Very high turnover (reps and mgmnt). Senior management is out to lunch

8. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Supported 100% by management. Lots of room to grow in your career. Great guiding principles.

Cons

Every job has its mundane tasks - nothing really to note

8 Feb, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

We appreciate you taking the time to review us!

9. "Great company to work for"

Current Employee - Insurance Broker in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Broker in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Stable company, lots of opportunity for advancement, company allows for good balance between family and work.

Cons

Training can be slow, tons to learn to understand the industry

8 Feb, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review Western.

10. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Western Financial Group is a great employer. We have really good benefits, 3 weeks of vacation days/year to start along with flex days and sick days. If you contribute to RRSP's or ESOP's through them, they will match up to a certain %. They realize there has to be a fair work/life balance. Our branch is like an extended family. We all come together to help a colleague during a hard time. I truly believe you should love your job and I'm lucky to love mine.

Cons

You must have or pass your level 1 exam within the probationary period to keep your job.

8 Mar, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for the review. It's great to hear that you love your job with Western!