Western Financial Group Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.6
Western Financial Group President and CEO Kenny Nicholls
Kenny Nicholls

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "They realize there has to be a fair work/life balance" (in 6 reviews)

• "We have really good benefits, 3 weeks of vacation days/year to start along with flex days and sick days" (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Not a lot of contact with head office" (in 8 reviews)

• "The micro management and cancerous environment brought about at the mid management level made the environment extremely toxic" (in 4 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"My branch has been a great place to work"

Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Advisor in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

I have read many of the reviews, some very negative. I can only speak from my experience. I am still fairly new to Western and to the insurance field but my experience has been nothing but positive and supportive. The branch management team has supported my growth, they see my success as success for the company.

Training has been very structured and well paced. The office environment has been good, this branch really does feel like a family (and yes, every family has some dysfunction, but compared to other places I have worked this is minor).

The pay and benefits are competitive, I have heard that the starting salary is a little lower than other brokerages but the increased vacation and benefits offsets this.

One of the things about Western that was most appealing to me is the focus on local community and the push to be involved, whether with fundraising efforts, volunteering, or supporting in other ways. Insurance is very much a corporate endeavor, so if being involved in your community and giving back is also important to you, Western is a great place to do that.

Cons

I am still new to Western, I have not come across much in the way of negatives yet.

Advice to Management

Read through the reviews. Clearly there are some issues in some (perhaps many) of the branches, but not all. Find what is working well, try to replicate it in places where things are not going well. You don't need to reinvent the wheel.

Western Financial Group Response

8 Feb, 2018 – Digital Media Specialist

Thanks for taking the time to review us. We appreciate it!

2. "Great company"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Outside city limits (no traffic), employees are nice, management is good, company goals are clearly discussed to all employees

Cons

As this office is situated in High River, it is advisable to have your own car to drive to and from work.

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Head office is a great place to work. Everyone is extremely friendly and they definitely promote a work-life balance. They are a growing company and make you feel like you are a part of what they are building.

Cons

The pay isn't as high as it would be in Calgary. There are social events throughout the month but it is not overly social outside of your team. Most people eat lunch at their desk and there are not many options to get out of the office because of location.

Advice to Management

Continue to support employees. Maybe look at a better compensation structure that would entice people from the city to High River.

4. "I Truly Enjoy my Career"

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in Strathmore, AB
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in Strathmore, AB

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with this company for three and a half years, and have had some of my best experiences with it. I have worked in two of our branches both in Southern Alberta as well as Central Alberta. Each office has helped coach myself in very different ways to be the broker I am today.

I truly believe in Western Financial Groups focus on supporting our communities. I have been largely involved in our charity Support The Cause and I love seeing the impact the money we raise as an office has impacted my community.

Western Financial Group is a fair company to work for, that truly enjoys seeing their employees succeed. When I began three and a half years ago, I started at our front desk as a receptionist. I have since then moved my way through our Personal Lines team. I could not have grown as much I have without the support of my coworkers and management team.

I have recommended two long time friends of my own to the company, who have now become two long term employees to Western Financial Group.

Cons

The pay is a little on the lower side, however they make up for it in their benefits, vacation time as well as their Incentive Program.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

5. "Best Job In Town!"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

Great atmosphere
    Great work-life balance
    Management Cares and the branch is like family
    Engaged co-workers
    Lots of career opportunities
    Business goals and targets that challenge you to be your best
    Team excels together

Cons

Not a lot of contact with head office

6. "Better opportunities in Calgary"

Former Employee - Insurance Advisor in Strathmore, AB
    Former Employee - Insurance Advisor in Strathmore, AB

I worked at Western Financial Group (More than 5 years)

Pros

decent pay and good benefits

Cons

revolving door...ownership, management & front line. Very low morale.

Advice to Management

have proper number of employees to reach targets. Perpetually short staffed.

7. "It Specialist"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun workplace with lots of food

Cons

Stressfull environment that wouldn't reward hard work

8. "Great company to work for with very big future"

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

This company is growing fast and its a good time to work for them

Cons

Slow adoption of tech but this is industry wide

"Would not recommend working here"

I worked at Western Financial Group full-time

Pros

paid vacation, personal days and sick days

Cons

No support from management and above
    Not enough front line staff
    Not paid near enough money for the work
    Low office morale
    Different rules for different staff
    Throw new staff to the wolves and hope they survive
    Management implements plans that work for them and not for staff. They have no concept of how to deal with staff problems away from work, especially those who have family outside Canada
    Too high sales targets and staff are being constantly hit with new targets and threatened when they aren't reaching them.
    If a manager dislikes you, you might as well pack your bags and walk before you are pushed

Advice to Management

Realise your staff are tired of your stupid targets and ideas and are afraid to say anything
    Stop telling them to suck it up or the door is over there
    Treat your staff as though they are valued. Stop hiding behind you office door and realise that all is not well in your office.
    Spend sometime sitting beside your staff and see what they go through on a daily basis. ALL IS NOT WELL LOOK AROUND YOU
    Staff are demoralised and are actively looking elsewhere. Some of them have 2 jobs because they aren't earning enough. Take heed of the employee engagement survey.
    You are going to lose a lot of experienced staff if you don't listen and TAKE ACTION

"Team lead"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Victoria, BC
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Western Financial Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great work and life balance
    - Great benefits
    - Paid Holidays, along with Personal Days and Sick days
    - Supportive management
    - Lots of career opportunities
    - Community Supportive job atmosphere
    - Room for growth within company
    - Upbeat work atmosphere
    - Great upper management at Head Office in Victoria who know individuals by name and push you to succeed in company.

Cons

I don't feel like there is any down sides. I enjoy my job and everyone I work with. I enjoy coming to work and am happy here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Great job and great company to work with. It would be nice to see bigger company events wit all staff and to bring us together as one and get to know people from all over company.