Waterworth Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Waterworth Reviews

Updated May 9, 2019

4.7
Waterworth CEO Kirk Stinchcombe (no image)
Kirk Stinchcombe
  1. "Junior Sales and Marketing Analyst"

I worked at Waterworth full-time

Pros

Great collaborative work environment with awesome employee morale.

Cons

Cookie Friday is only once a week

Waterworth2019-05-09

"Helping Improve Communities"

Current Employee - Customer Success Director in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Waterworth full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

We're helping communities across North America ensure their water and wastewater services are sustainable. This makes me feel good about myself. The work is challenging and it's fun to be here.

Cons

We're still sharing space with Viatec. It's a cool building and there's nothing wrong with it but we'd like to be in our own space soon.

3. "Rewarding work"

I have been working at Waterworth part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good team. Good work environment. Great product.

Cons

No budget for an employee popcorn machine

Waterworth2019-04-23
  4. "Waterworth-it"

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Waterworth full-time for less than a year

Pros

A small, agile team means you have the opportunity to exercise a wide range of skills, build new skills, and have the autonomy to make impactful decisions. Also, this is a scaling business, fresh out of the start-up phase. Meaning it has stability, and they are acutely aware of their market and of the value they deliver to them. This clarity and focus is refreshing. The leadership team knows what they do well and... are passionate about sharing it. Also, helping to solve the larger issue of water system underfunding and supporting communities to be more sustainable is a major benefit. It feels good to know that the work we do has tangible, often immediate benefits in the communities we serve, and to be a part of popularizing this innovative solution. It's a great place to enter the tech sector in Victoria, and working from the Tectoria building comes with a lot of additional benefits.

Cons

No real cons. If you are uncomfortable wearing many hats or being able to quickly pivot, this isn't the place for you.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Your passion disseminates to your team and that's a blast to be a part of. Be clear about performance evaluation, where you would like to see improvement and provide feedback.

Waterworth2019-04-18
  5. "One of Victoria's best companies"

Current Employee - CHIEF MARKETING OFFICER in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Waterworth part-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent market, product, and team. The founders are experts in the industry, have excellent ideas and easy to work with and for. The team supporting the product and founders are all high performing and all have interesting lives outside of the office as well. Great people make great companies.

Cons

Parking is expensive downtown, bike theft is rampant downtown and transit is not as good as the bigger urban centre's.

Waterworth2019-04-18
  6. "Wonderful company and business to work for!"

Former Employee - Junior Research Analyst in Victoria, BC

I worked at Waterworth full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Supportive and nicest people -Open minded management -Involve in business development and decision makings -Fast growing company with great opportunities and business outlook -Friendly environment and family oriented corporate culture -Innovative business -Fair compensation -Flexible time -Great location at the heart of Downtown Victoria

Cons

None that I can think of.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! The C-suite executives are always there willing to help and listen to anyone.

Waterworth2019-04-18
  7. "Awesome Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Sales Executive

I worked at Waterworth full-time

Pros

- Founders are always open to feedback and receptive to ideas about how to do things better. - Great processes in place for sales staff and a well defined market. Lots of leads! - Training was always available for sales staff when needed. - Great coworkers!

Cons

- Not a con for everybody but cold-calling was expected for all sales staff.

Waterworth2019-04-20
  8. "Great people, good company, needs clearer path for employee growth"

Former Employee - Software Developer in Victoria, BC

I worked at Waterworth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Overall I would give at 3.5 star rating - it was a 5 star when I first started and can definitely get back there! As someone starting off in their career, this is a great place to be! Since it's a smaller team, you have the opportunity to wear many hats, and do work that is important. You will definitely learn a lot here and gain valuable experience! Company culture wise, the people are truly great. There is a... genuine work life balance, and although the co-founders work longer hours, most people don't work more than 8 hours a day, and time off is very flexible. The reason this company was started was to help save the world, and although you might forget this in the day to day work sometimes, it is satisfying to know that Waterworth is really helping the world be more sustainable. Free coffee from the cafe downstairs is a perk, and the office is a neat space downtown. Sometimes we go for team lunches that the company pays for which is nice! The unique company structure of a startup supported by consulting work is also an interesting pro that allows for feeling good about job security while still being able to innovate, without any outside investor opinions.

Cons

There isn't always enough support - for developers this is mostly just a temporary con because there hasn't been a lead developer for a few months. In turn, the other developers picked up this work, which while a great learning opportunity, was an effort without much recognition. There is a lot of work to do and a small team, which means sometimes just working on bugs or testing for a few months, no matter your... experience level. If you really hate these kinds of tasks, it might not be the place for you. It can be unorganized, and you can be asked to switch tasks when it doesn't always seem necessary, which makes getting work done frustrating sometimes. There isn't a clear path for career growth, or any discussions on professional/personal goals, which can make it hard to visual longevity here, even though it's awesome at the start. Culture wise, there could be more team activities, and more celebrating of achieving milestones. There used to be quarterly team activities which were lots of fun, I think people have just been too busy to plan them. There aren't as many perks as other tech companies - no snack cupboard, benefits, fitness allowance etc. Salary is fairly average for Victoria. This organization is flexible and driven, which I think is a pro, but if you like a lot of structure in your day, aren't a self starter, or prefer to wear a suit to work, you may be frustrated here.

Advice to Management

Keep up the passion, and the awesome product. Waterworth is a great place to work, now it just needs to become a great place to stay working at - keep employees engaged and feeling important, have one on one meetings, and plan some more fun group things.

Waterworth2019-04-18
  9. "Great Company, Friendly Team"

Current Employee - Full Stack Developer in Victoria, BC

I have been working at Waterworth full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities for motivated employees to expand their skill-sets and direct their growth. Founders have a great vision, are super driven to see it through, and are super passionate about helping communities. Very friendly team. Company culture is nice and casual, strives to be a fun place to work. Work-life balance is well respected.

Cons

Goals change very frequently, sometimes leads to wasted effort. Office setting gets a bit anti-social at times. Management is spread too thin to be able to drive growth of employees, it's up to the employee to make sure they succeed.

Advice to Management

Try not to spread yourselves too thin. Management-driven progress reviews & feedback (and criticism) would be valuable.

Found 9 reviews