Waste Management Employee Reviews about "customer service"

Updated May 11, 2020

3.4
Waste Management President and CEO James C. Fish, Jr
James C. Fish, Jr
Pros
Cons
  • "Hard work long hours But weekends off(in 88 reviews)

• "It is a great show but us employees (customer service reps) "a free pass" is out of the question when we work for the company that is hosting the event(in 40 reviews)

Reviews about "customer service"

Return to all Reviews

"Flavor of the month club"

2.0
    Former Employee - District Manager

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The company is huge, well funded and has a very simple product position, high quality, safety, good customer service, at a premium price. Problem is, the depth doesn't match the hype.

Cons

Constantly restructuring, introducing and then abandoning major overhauls to systems and processes. Lack of leadership at essentially every level as the company manages to the stock price and not the market. Profitable operations are tampered with until they break and districts with problems are nearly almost gutted routinely instead of being given assistance to grow and prosper. Nearly non existent support for employees.

Continue reading
  2. "Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits and smart company overall, management is pretty good. They treat you well overall and work with you if you work hard.

Cons

They work you hard and cap your pay. They only want to pay reps a certain amount but give you a lot of administration that takes up selling time. You are a one stop shop; customer service, billing, admin and help with some operational stuff. All of this plus you are expected to sell.

3. "Stable Income"

5.0
    Current Employee - Digital Care Representative

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good work environment, friendly and helpful peers. Depending on your supervisor you have potlucks almost every month, raffles and free lunch. Also, in October for Customer Service week we get 1 week of free lunch, raffles, WM gear, snacks and games. Guaranteed yearly raise.

Cons

It's a call center, so the cons are expected: scheduled lunches and breaks. Any time you get up from your desk you have to log off as 'personal', and this time is counted daily and at times your supervisor will have a 'talk' with you. Also, there is no "grace period" if your shift starts at 8 a.m. you are expected to be ready to take calls at this time! And each minute you're late starts to add up counts against your PTO.

May 7, 2020SoMe Associate

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns. We value all feedback from our employees. We continually strive to ensure that our management is providing the best leadership to our teams. The key to our success is our people and we continue to make strikes in providing the best work experience possible.

4. "Take care of your employees better"

1.0
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your colleagues become your family.

Cons

Waste Management has some pros and cons like any other company, though the cons weigh out the pros such as pay, career advancement, short staff, and perks. I have been with the company for about four years. The four years I have been with the company the pay increase has been terrible. Ten to fifteen cents a year, four years of loyalty doesn't mean anything to them. New employees are getting paid as much as I am which is BS! Now with the knowledge that I have about the company the years I have spent, I have applied to numerous positions with Waste Management yet they don't hire inside their own company and hire outside the company that literally does not know anything about trash business. You would think Waste Management would hire you in a heart beat because you are such an asset to them. The loyalty I have been with the company the knowledge that I have about every line of business of trash. Retention is a big thing. Not being able to keep our employees for various reasons is astonishing! That is Waste Management for you though. In order to fix the problem why not hear from the employees. What will make you keep them and stay with the company and be happy. Set a meeting with your employees, or even better send a survey so we can fill out about the company what you can work on to be better, to keep your employees and thrive as a company! One last thing theirs an event coming up, The Waste Management Phoenix Open. It is a great show but us employees (customer service reps) "a free pass" is out of the question when we work for the company that is hosting the event. The company rather take managers and supervisors to the event and forget about their CSR that are in the front lines taking care of the business and the customers. A Fortune 500 Company that purchase Advance Disposal in the East Coast for a whopping $3 billion cash cannot give "us" tickets to the event, but can give to other people that are not employees to go. I have put in my two weeks and will be going to another company that understands true value of there employees.

5. "n/a"

1.0
    Current Employee - N/A

I have been working at Waste Management full-time

Pros

good management, customer service is their top priority.

Cons

can't figure out any cons.

October 9, 2019SoMe Associate

Thank you for your great review. We’re committed to offering our employees an environment they can thrive in. We are happy to hear about your positive experience while working for Waste Management.

6. "Best experience and employer I've had the privilege of working for."

5.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Oak Harbor, WA

I worked at Waste Management full-time

Pros

I'll start with the standards they hold themselves to. Not just for the conditions of their facilities, but quality of service given to their customers. Hands down, the best customer service training, I believe to be available; I still have all my notes and papers. I received nothing but support and encouragement from my trainer, lead, supervisor, management and colleagues from every department. I was heartbroken when they announced they were consolidating the call center down to Phoenix; went home bawling after my last day. THAT'S what it's like working for Waste Management.

Cons

...🤷 Can't think of a single thing.

April 9, 2019Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your great review! We believe in setting all our employees up for success with the proper training and tools they need. We’re happy to hear you found this training and support valuable. We appreciate the contributions you made to our team!

7. "Great Place to Work"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Waste Management

Pros

Waste Management is a great place to work with a lot of room to grow!

Cons

Customer service is challenging no matter where you work.

8. "Customer Service Denver"

2.0
    Former Contractor - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Waste Management for more than a year

Pros

Good company perks and benefits.

Cons

Customer service management cut-throated and back stabby.

Continue reading

"Customer Service in Phoenix AZ"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Waste Management full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

·Same schedule ·Low employee contribution to insurance ·Gym & cafe ·Employee referral bonus ·Commissioned positions Overall I am a lt employee and happy with my position. Work is repetitious & becomes easy as time goes on. Referral bonuses for bringing a new employee in is $500. Clean facility. Small but nice gym. Cafe is bland and overpriced. Switch up the menu more! You take a variety of inbound calls setting up, cancelling accounts. Explaining billing. Reviewing service errors.

Cons

Starting pay for everything customer service entails is low in my opinion. Thirteen & change to begin. Low annual raises. I'm talking less than .50 cents a year increase. Residential reps do not earn commission whereas Commercial reps do. That coupled with low raises is a reason to move on from residential once you are able to. There is no confidentiality. NONE. Not in HR. Not in management. So it's best to mind your business. Work can be demanding. Middle of the month is always busy as billing processes.

Continue reading
  10. "Fun but exhausting internship"

Former Intern - Recycling Corps in Kirkland, WA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Waste Management for less than a year

Pros

The interview wasn't difficult, they were more just looking for interns with good communications skills. They asked all the typical questions. During the internship I learned a lot about the waste industry as well as customer service, event management, and community outreach. The summer was very well thought out and organized.

Cons

The hours were very long and we were asked to drive up to two hours to various cities to attend events or conduct outreach (but we were paid for gas and our time). The Pub Ed team is very very small so the likelihood of getting a job offer after the internship is very small.

Found 52 reviews