Vision Critical Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.8
Vision Critical CEO Scott Miller
Scott Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits and work life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great company, great people and great benefits" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Varying culture and work-life balance by team" (in 11 reviews)

• "Growing company so lots of changes - good changes though"" (in 7 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to make history"

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Vision Critical is reshaping the customer intelligence landscape and has an opportunity to become a major force in the Canadian technology ecosystem. It's a great time to get on board. Vision Critical's CEO has incredible passion, energy and optimism and rallies the troops behind his compelling vision of the future. We have a powerful story to tell and very talented people across sales, marketing and customer success. Everything is coming together across the company and we're poised to achieve lift-off.

Cons

As of today, Vision Critical's product doesn't quite live up to the story we tell, but changes are being made and I'm confident that very soon we'll have the differentiated product we need to win big in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Move faster to get the product to where it needs to be for us to win.

2. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work, great people, no politics, summer time every other friday, half a day, great people , awesome CEO, top of the line technology , great revenue model,

Cons

nothing really comes to mind,

Advice to Management

keep hiring good people,

3. "Good Place to start career"

Pros

Good opportunity to learn
    Exposure is high
    Work life balance is good

Cons

Culture is not the best
    Compensation is lower than average
    micromanagement

Advice to Management

Company's motto is "People Matter"
    But VC doesn't really value it's people.

4. "Huge upside"

Current Employee - R&D in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - R&D in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees who are driven and passionate, willing to take responsibility and be held accountable are rewarded by being given an opportunity to have companywide impact and drive strategic change. This is true of recent joiners as it is of those who have been here to drive this business for years.

There has been a heavy influx of world class leadership into the organization who had to shift the culture to what is needed to succeed against the competition. Many age old conventions and cultural tenets had to be reinvented challenging many, yet the overall result is a much more focused, less confused company.

The culture is shifting towards focusing on becoming an organization which accepts ongoing change as a part daily life. This is particularly visible in the product development organization that has pivoted aggressively towards a model delivering substantial innovation at high velocity.

Everyone now understands that change, interpreted as the predictable journey from A to B with clarity at every milestone is no longer the reality of the software industry. We live in an age of continuous change where managing obstacles and obscurity in real time while remaining true to key tenets, tests the fabric of the best organizations.

Happily, VC people have a deep passion for our customers stemming down from the CEO and permeating through everyone to help focus the organization on what is important and navigate the competitive waters of our industry.

Cons

There is still a drag caused by a contingent of people who would rather return to "glory days" of a prior time where competition and market dynamics made things a lot easier. There is a lot of opportunity for the business to support this contingent with highly prescriptive guidance and structured support, but the question is can they really afford to do so?

Advice to Management

Be bold focus on the people that will make the journey and the company you want to be in the future. All the key competitors are eyeing up bigger prizes with VC being the unknown underdog... there is huge opportunity to surprise the market while they are not covering their "six o'clock"...

5. "Great culture and people"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Supportive culture with lots of autonomy, opportunity to try new ideas, new roles, and to move around if you're interested. Fun, work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Pay is often on the lower end, promotions from within tend to not be compensated as highly as external hires. Product changes and innovations are slow to be realised.

"VC Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Vision Critical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- co-workers are smart and awesome, genuinely can be friends with many of them!
    - the product's concept is very innovative and what you are helping clients DO is rewarding

Cons

- no clear direction.. and if there is, it was not shared with employees
    - reorgs & layoffs - within my 3 years here, there were over 5 large reorgs with the company laying off over 100 people
    - lack of communication - having upper management let go of your manager, telling you that their hiring someone to replace them, and then, after a number of chaotic months, tell you that they will not be replacing your manager is misleading
    - work/life balance ... there isn't any
    - upper management & employees - having worked 3 years here with key accounts & structures, many of upper management team didn't even know my name much less care
    - product.. this needs a lot more work before it's ready for customers and having sales and CS hide this information is a disservice

Advice to Management

- learn your employees names and try to hide playing favorites (if you must keep playing favorites)
    - transparency.. it's important to you but not evident in any manner
    - stop being so "customer focused" and focus a little more on "employee focused" too

"Worst work culture ever"

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Good office space and kitchen

Cons

Worst culture ever
    Management has personal interest over business goals. Management doesn't know what it is doing

8. "Worked there for a year"

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

The company gives ample autonomy and room to master your trade.

Cons

Disorganized from the top with too many middle managers. Lack of direction and purpose.

"Great people, confused leadership, tough industry"

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

I have always worked with good people at VC. The Toronto office is pretty fun with a games room and kitchen and my area of the office is always pretty full and the people in it are fairly close.

Decent place to start your career because you will many opportunities to learn.

Cons

The market we are in is very competitive. Unfortunately, the product is not up to par and we don't move as fast as our competition which makes it hard to win.

For most employees, growth/promotion plans are very vague and often undefined. The culture is strange and people are sometimes unsure about the intentions of leadership.

Overall, the senior leadership and C-suite are out of touch with the average employee. We have monthly town halls but we usually get talked at more that we get spoken to.

Advice to Management

Just listen to your people and spend more time talking to the front line. Also get some focus in the product and be honest with customers.

10. "Awesome company with awesome people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are going places! A great place to learn and grow your career.

Cons

The change is constant but exciting .

Advice to Management

Keep up with the town halls and aligning the global offices. Don't forget about the people and look at new ways of rewarding your staff.