Vision Critical Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.0
Vision Critical CEO Scott Miller
Scott Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Good benefits and work life balance" (in 19 reviews)

• "Great company, great people and great benefits" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing company so lots of changes - good changes though"" (in 7 reviews)

• "Lots of change going on so it's a fast paced environment and one must be ready for that to enjoy the journey" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to make history"

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Vision Critical is reshaping the customer intelligence landscape and has an opportunity to become a major force in the Canadian technology ecosystem. It's a great time to get on board. Vision Critical's CEO has incredible passion, energy and optimism and rallies the troops behind his compelling vision of the future. We have a powerful story to tell and very talented people across sales, marketing and customer success. Everything is coming together across the company and we're poised to achieve lift-off.

Cons

As of today, Vision Critical's product doesn't quite live up to the story we tell, but changes are being made and I'm confident that very soon we'll have the differentiated product we need to win big in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Move faster to get the product to where it needs to be for us to win.

2. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work, great people, no politics, summer time every other friday, half a day, great people , awesome CEO, top of the line technology , great revenue model,

Cons

nothing really comes to mind,

Advice to Management

keep hiring good people,

3. "Awesome company with awesome people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We are going places! A great place to learn and grow your career.

Cons

The change is constant but exciting .

Advice to Management

Keep up with the town halls and aligning the global offices. Don't forget about the people and look at new ways of rewarding your staff.

"Mixed bag"

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Good culture, nice people, in Toronto, at least when I was there, I had a good experience.

Cons

Product is not that good, competitors have better offer, I was there during a big shift in the company, which I thought was handled pretty well, but did cause some tumultuous times.

Advice to Management

Create a better product, you've lost to Qualtrics so you need to find a new niche, or drop the price drastically.

"Vision Critical is (back) on track to be a leading Customer Intelligence company!"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A good work culture
    - A client list that is a dream for ANY company!
    - The rapid transformation of the company from services to SAS and the opportunity to learn new tech
    - The new CTO is making bringing changes that were long needed in its transformation to a SAS company
    - Some excellent new hires

Cons

- The company has been marketing focussed for years, where buzzwords drove the business and technical decisions. As a customer intelligence company, Vision Critical has accumulated huge technical debt and continues to live with bad data architecture. Only recently, the company has started to address this. But better late than ever!

Advice to Management

- This company has a client list to dream for and a marketing team beyond comparison. Fix the technical debt, build Relationship Memory (which is vapor-vare right now) and deprecate legacy offerings, and we have an opportunity to be a billion-dollar company.
    - Get rid of so many presidents and directors, which are not needed in a SAS company.
    - Continue what you are doing right now. Keep everyone in the loop with town halls and keep it real
    - HIRE ROCKSTARS!

"Fast paced company with great people."

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of awesome, brilliant, and great people to work with.
    - Fast paced company with lots of changes. Many opportunities to make an impact in the market research tech space.

Cons

- Slim teams.
    - Not exactly a con but the expectation to turnaround tasks and/or respond is almost immediate. Important to always stay alert.

Advice to Management

Create more opportunities to cross-socialize among different departments. Teams in company seem disconnected.

"Love my team but..."

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

VC is very good at finding good people to join the team. If there is something I like about VC is the team spirit, the collaboration and friendship built over time. It also has a good benefit package and supportive HHRR team.

Cons

A long period of changes makes the work environment unstable and hard to navigate. there doesn't seem to be clarity or consistency across the management team. While the individuals in the leadership team seem experienced, smart and personable, this does not reflect on the company policies.

Advice to Management

Consistency! Please do as you say. If people matter, just show it.

8. "Review of VC from 5+ year employee - the good, bad and evolving"

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked as a UX designer for a number of years at Vision Critical. In my tenure, I have seen it go through some dark times. It has only been in the last 2 years that significant changes were made — specifically to its leadership and internal processes. There has been so much change in fact, it’s like I’ve worked for 2 very different companies. The company it is now is finally figuring out how to be a SaaS company thanks to the new leadership put in place.

Proudly, we have two very accomplished women steering our UX and Product team. As a result of their mentorship, experience and skillset, we have a fulfilled and ever growing team of product owners, managers, and UX designers. We have changed everything from the way we sell our product, support our clients, inform product strategy, collaborate with the development team, as well as validate design decisions with our internal and external stakeholders.

I will say that historically the UX and Product team suffered from extremely misinformed, shoot-from-the-hip decision making. You ask any former employee and they’re probably inclined to give bad testimonials based on their experience working here. I don’t think they are wrong, but they probably don’t know what it’s like now. Anyone whose been here in recent years will say that our R&D team has undergone substantial change for the better. There are reasons I have stayed as long as I have and continue to stay committed. It’s because I believe in my superiors/mentors, my colleagues, their skills, and the new processes put in place. It has been a tremendously fulfilling experience as I continue to hone my craft as a designer.

This company is by no means perfect. But really, what company is? If you want to work with talented people who are carving out new spaces in an industry that’s begging for innovation, and want the opportunity to cut your teeth in something that’s evolving in the AI / machine learning space, then this place is for you.

Cons

UX is still trying to find its place within the larger scrum process. Despite this, I feel like UX is valued as an equal player at the table and the R&D team is committed to figuring this out how to optimize our input. It's a work-in-progress.

Advice to Management

Separate arms of the business are still not communicating effectively with each other. As a company, we need to improve cross-team communication so the left-hand knows what the right-hand is doing, so to speak.

"Slow paced. Doesn't understand UX. Sinking ship."

Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - User Experience Designer in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Vision Critical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits packages they offer are great.
    Competitive salaries.

Cons

Vision Critical hired me on as a UX designer, but no one with any sort of power at that company knew what UX Design was. It seemed like they heard that great companies have a UX team, so they hired a bunch of UX Designers, didn't change any processes, and expected everything to work out for the best. This resulted in a lot of opinion based decisions being made from the top down without any user research or validation, which then turned their UX team into glorified interface designers. This was a huge waste of entire skillsets.

Vision Critical claims to be a start-up/agile company, but then take years to implement large features.

This company is run by people who have been in lead business roles for 20+ years, but it seems they still value 20 year old processes. This may be great if you're a bank or law firm, but not a tech company.

It's possible UX has changed since I left, but from speaking with some people that are still there, it seems like most are leaving the company, and I often hear them say it's a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

Put all of your product managers through training again. They have great knowledge of the product, but they have a lot to learn about working in Agile and with a UX team. For the level above them, put a UX strategist at the table with the CEO or CTO (or whoever has final say in the product), give them full access to every single one of your customers, give them a budget for proper tools, participant incentives, and UX team expansions, then put them in charge of your Product Managers.

Listen to the feedback that is given to you, and listen to your gut, you know there is a lot of truth to this.

10. "Marketing Manager"

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Great company, great people and great benefits. Out of all the companies I've been employed by, Vision Critical definitely stands out in a positive way. They are always actively trying to improve the employee experience and asking for feedback. Good benefits and work life balance. Senior leaders also really care about their employee's career development, and there are lots of opportunities for growth to those who seek them out.

Cons

In typical tech company style, things can get busy and hectic, and sometimes there can be a "lot of cooks in the kitchen". But nothing above and beyond what you see at most companies.