Vision Critical Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Vision Critical CEO Scott Miller
Scott Miller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "sometimes hard to maintain work life balance" (in 12 reviews)

• "Lots of change going on so it's a fast paced environment and one must be ready for that to enjoy the journey" (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to make history"

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Vision Critical is reshaping the customer intelligence landscape and has an opportunity to become a major force in the Canadian technology ecosystem. It's a great time to get on board. Vision Critical's CEO has incredible passion, energy and optimism and rallies the troops behind his compelling vision of the future. We have a powerful story to tell and very talented people across sales, marketing and customer success. Everything is coming together across the company and we're poised to achieve lift-off.

Cons

As of today, Vision Critical's product doesn't quite live up to the story we tell, but changes are being made and I'm confident that very soon we'll have the differentiated product we need to win big in the marketplace.

Advice to Management

Move faster to get the product to where it needs to be for us to win.

2. "Engineering Manager"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome place to work, great people, no politics, summer time every other friday, half a day, great people , awesome CEO, top of the line technology , great revenue model,

Cons

nothing really comes to mind,

Advice to Management

keep hiring good people,

3. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities come from lots of change. Great people work at the company.

Cons

Unclear vision but transparency and alignment from top leadership has been refreshing.

4. "Good company to work for but still has a way to go."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company has undergone a lot of positive transformations over the years.
    Fun place to work and excellent colleagues.
    Huge improvement on transparency.

Cons

company can sometimes lack direction and communication between teams could be better.
    sometimes hard to maintain work life balance.

5. "I left because I was headhunted, but VC is quite fine..."

Former Employee - Vice President, Regional Sales Management in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Vice President, Regional Sales Management in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Vision Critical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Corporate reboot is an exciting time in any company journey Where smart and able people can succeed and gain professional experience unlike anywhere else.
    VC is NOT a research organization anymore, it is a vendor of a research platform empowering leading organizations who are adopting customer centric methods as part of their core business process, eg. riding huge market momentum.
    These organizations have researchers who need to use technology to be able to extract the information from their customers and use it in other systems and processes AT THE SPEED of digital business.
    This market dynamic is upending the traditional research agency motions and offering a huge market opportunity for VC's community centric model.
    A new tier of leadership, who can do what they actually talk about has joined across all the key areas to make VC a real SaaS company. For me, how these managers supported me with real knowledge and clarity, contrasting with prior ones, was the thing that kept me here so long.
    These new managers have shown how wide a chasm others at the company had to cross, but also have show how resourceful and willing most of the VC team has been as they figured out how to do this with wide open minds.
    It was inspiring to see the commitment and drive in so many people to leave their comfort zone!
    Will miss the team!!!

Cons

Morale in "classic" employees is a drag. There are factions in the business who want to keep things as they were.
    People who built little lifestyle empires based on their ability to hit their goals and claim success but missed that their goal achievement had no discernible impact on the business.
    Many of these folks are popular in their areas and are rejecting the transformation.
    They do this in action and background noise but very rarely face to face, hitting the overall morale hard. They should leave and get on with their careers. These people were the main reason I left, I wanted to be in a similar growth environment but without the noise and the opportunity I was offered took me to a different market that I am more familiar with.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. You are in an ends justifying the means business, the right people will stay, the wrong will go. The ultimate judge is Mr. & Ms. Market.

"Cant reveal"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big kitchen and free coffee to drink

Cons

Pathetic work culture, management only cares about their own success. They can crush the employees under them to achieve personal success. One of my VPs also threw a dart at me in the meeting room to intimidate me.

Advice to Management

Be leaders so that people respect you.

Vision Critical Response

23 Nov, 2018 – Vice President, Human Resources

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. We are alarmed by the actions described in your review and would encourage you to come forward to myself or someone else on the Human Resources team... More

"Good Place to start career"

Pros

Good opportunity to learn
    Exposure is high
    Work life balance is good

Cons

Culture is not the best
    Compensation is lower than average
    micromanagement

Advice to Management

Company's motto is "People Matter"
    But VC doesn't really value it's people.

"Great culture and people"

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Vision Critical full-time

Pros

Supportive culture with lots of autonomy, opportunity to try new ideas, new roles, and to move around if you're interested. Fun, work hard play hard culture.

Cons

Pay is often on the lower end, promotions from within tend to not be compensated as highly as external hires. Product changes and innovations are slow to be realised.

9. "Not so good"

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Vision Critical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Room for learning
    Fast paced environment

Cons

Lower salary than average

"VC Experience"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Vision Critical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- co-workers are smart and awesome, genuinely can be friends with many of them!
    - the product's concept is very innovative and what you are helping clients DO is rewarding

Cons

- no clear direction.. and if there is, it was not shared with employees
    - reorgs & layoffs - within my 3 years here, there were over 5 large reorgs with the company laying off over 100 people
    - lack of communication - having upper management let go of your manager, telling you that their hiring someone to replace them, and then, after a number of chaotic months, tell you that they will not be replacing your manager is misleading
    - work/life balance ... there isn't any
    - upper management & employees - having worked 3 years here with key accounts & structures, many of upper management team didn't even know my name much less care
    - product.. this needs a lot more work before it's ready for customers and having sales and CS hide this information is a disservice

Advice to Management

- learn your employees names and try to hide playing favorites (if you must keep playing favorites)
    - transparency.. it's important to you but not evident in any manner
    - stop being so "customer focused" and focus a little more on "employee focused" too