Vice Media Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Vice Media Reviews

Updated Jan 13, 2020

Vice Media CEO Shane Smith (no image)
Shane Smith
Pros
Cons
  • "Low pay (apart from if in the boys club) which makes it impossible to manage(in 32 reviews)

• "VERY Long hours and feel under valued(in 23 reviews)

1. "vice"

Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Vice Media full-time

Pros

it was a really good time and learning experience

Cons

long hours at times and low pay

Vice Media2019-08-27

"Frustrating"

Former Employee - Producer/Coordinator in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

I'd say that some creative ideas can be fun to execute and there are many talented and dedicated staff in many departments still left there I hope.

Cons

Accounting is seriously a joke especially since joining forces with the new york team. Good luck to freelancers and crew trying to get paid within 60-90 days. Big flag is that so many managers became senior because they were there longer, not based on ability to manage or even do their job well. Also don't expect salary bump-ups based on increased job duties (or fair salaries really at all) - offensive starting salaries way below asking. There's terrible communication and transparency from the top down, weak partnerships - often with undesirable outcomes aka joint ventures pulling out early. So many rounds of layoffs and it doesn't seem like they were able to get morale back at all. Huge lack of vision and direction for the Toronto office/Canadian sector. Loss of brand identity for sure - really showed in the focus groups they ran in the Toronto office plus the 1-on-1s with the ex-Toronto leader. It seems that many possible partners/companies don't want to work with Vice anymore - they tried it once and won't come back. There's a lack of information provided before or after scandals/bad press about the company or bad press about ex-staff. Lack of proper on-boarding for new staff. Honestly, this place was disappointing - I expected to want to be here longer than 2 years.

Vice Media2020-01-14

"Mismanaged Collapsing Company"

Former Employee - Video Editor in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A wide variety of content to work on. Fun creative employees.

Cons

The company is financially destitute and as such refuses to give employees raises or address the wide pay disparity between it's employees. Large 20-30 employee layoffs happen every six months. (Called 'restructuring' so CFO doesn't have to admit he's let people go) Best employees have already left for better opportunities elsewhere.

Vice Media2019-09-04
  4. "Start up vibe but with no direction"

Current Employee - Ad Operations Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vice Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture was great and enjoyed a lot of the events we did. I enjoyed representing all the AdVICE publishers. Great experience.

Cons

There is a real lack of direction between TV and Online digital. Never understood our long term objectives from an operational level.

Vice Media2019-07-13

"Hostile Work Environment"

Former Employee - Production in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Talented peers and it's a company most people have heard of. Can be a lot of fun to go into work everyday. Opportunity to work on great content. Office is nice.

Cons

Managers seem more concerned with optics than ensuring a healthy productive working environment. Formal complaints to HR regarding workplace bullying and harassment will go unacknowledged. If HR does acknowledge a problem they will do absolutely nothing about it. HR will deny receiving any compliants about problematic managers, no matter how many written compliants they receive. The only solution for employees experiencing harassment (and there have been several in that office) is to quit. I heard about more than person complaining to HR about bullying, intimidation and harassment with no results. Those people have all since quit. They constantly send out company wide memos stating they have a "zero tolerance" policy for harassment. That any claims will be investigated by an external party. This won't happen. HR will ask if the harassment has ever been physical and if it hasn't, they will brush it off.

Vice Media2019-07-06
  6. "OK Not Great"

Former Employee - Publisher

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- cool coworkers - fun projects to work on

Cons

- no empowerment - poor pay - no diversity - poor management

Vice Media2019-06-24
  7. "Shrinking Company"

Current Employee - Digital Producer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vice Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of freedom, not a ton of micromanagement

Cons

Continual layoffs, no transparency or trust in leadership.

Vice Media2019-07-04
  8. "Good culture"

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun couple of drunk years, good culture

Cons

Bad salary, little opportunity for raises

Vice Media2019-06-18

"Opportunities to create, but tough to get your true value"

I worked at Vice Media full-time

Pros

It's an intensely creative place and you can find yourself working on several dream projects a year.

Cons

They don't pay well and there is a huge exodus of talented people following the regime change there.

Vice Media2019-05-08

"How are they still a thing?"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vice Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sometimes other people think you're cool. Looks good on a resume unless they have ever talked to anyone who worked at Vice.

Cons

The following are large and ongoing issues: Wages Management/Executives Workplace Culture Job Security Sexual harassment Misogyny Racial Discrimination Budgets Attitude Work/life balance They have no respect for workers, laws, facts, protocol, efficiency or culture. No one should get paid in cool, especially when they are not good enough at their jobs to be cool.

Vice Media2018-11-15