Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.4
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Strong culture and belief in good work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• Casual dress, good people, charity foundation, generous pay, values-driven organization (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • com is that they are hiring people so fast it is very hard to keep up with every and there new positions (in 5 reviews)

• Most of the negative comments I've seen are because the company is going through some growing pains (in 8 reviews)

"Company to be proud of"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company takes care of it's clients, has transparency and heart in everything it does; and takes care of it's employees... From pay to work life balance, to equal consideration in the workplace- I couldn't say enough. They go above and beyond to ensure both client and employee satisfaction.

Cons

I really can't think of any

Advice to Management

None-

26 Dec, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks so much for saying such great things. We really take pride in the people we serve and the wonderful family we continue to build at VU.

2. "Good and Bad"

Pros

I’ve spent time in a couple different roles at VU and that’s allowed me some different perspective. The leadership is hands down unlike anything I’ve seen at VU. The integrity and dedication of the owners and most executives is amazing. The benefits are out of this world great, and there’s a big effort to make things cool/fun for employees.

Cons

All the wonderful things that the leaders stand for is lost in some departments pretty closely to the top. Some departments have extremely unhealthy work life habits, are super cliquey, and some are managed very poorly from inexperienced and uninterested managers. With quick growth comes lots of struggles, but I think VU needs to openly and without bias face some of this negativity quickly (not just production and processing). Also, with all the events, benefits, perks, etc. sometimes there’s a hidden sense of - we want your life to be all about us and if not shame on you- and I’ve never really liked that feeling. Not everyone wants to spend work hours and free hours with their coworkers, and I don’t think that’s a bad thing necessarily.

Advice to Management

Work with leaders to make sure that they are treating everyone with respect, and that they know they are accountable for the success of their own employees. Some managers seem to get away with horrible turnover rates and complaints, when there are clearly some issues that need to be addressed with them.

3 Jan, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for being part of VU family and taking the time to share.
    We make an effort to offer several different ways to enhance the lives of employees through events, small groups and activities... More

"Great Potential, But Doesn't Deliver"

Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people you work with on a daily basis are genuinely great people. There is usually flexibility in your daily schedule, I could come and go as I pleased during the day and no one cared. You get the freedom to captain your own ship, and I really did love that. If you're looking for a decent paying job while you transition to something else within a year or so, this is a great place to work.

Cons

Veterans United has created a high stress environment for those who work in production. They chronically over hire loan officers, making it tough to meet sales requirements, and they chronically under-hire support staff like Account Managers, Assistants, and Underwriters. In other words, getting business is difficult-- involving many nights and weekends away from your home life -- and the deals you do get are often sabotaged by the poor infrastructure of the company. There was a point where it was taking almost 7 days to have an "in-house" underwriter review a loan. That has gotten better, but could be much better.
    The pay structure is not great for loan officers. This is a high-pressure sales job and loan officers are expected to be licensed experts, knowledgeable of corporate and federal guidelines for multiple loan products, maintain elite level customer service scores, and maintain a high score on a range of internal metrics. Folks working in this job expect to be paid on a commission basis for their sales and VU has decided that it's more important for the owners to have private jets and homes on private islands than it is to properly take care of their talented work force.
    There is differential treatment of the loan officers regarding the pay scale. There are some loan officers at the company who are able to earn a high commission solely because they were hired before a certain date and in most cases those loan officers have a huge team that does 80% of their work for them. Meanwhile, other loan officers are paid hourly, must close 6 loans a month, and are required to PAY BACK THEIR OVERTIME. In other words, you're working for free if you work over 40 hours, and you almost always work over 40. Any bonus you earned would be confiscated to pay off your debt log. The debt log also included appraisals for deals that fell through, often times for reasons beyond your control. (Appraisals, on average, are between $500 and $750 each.) I would do the same amount of work and earn half the income as the guy next to me. It's not enough for them to just be a successful company, they now have to be #1 in the country in terms of volume. Of course, this is done on the backs of their employees and the company reaps the benefits.
    It is impossible to leave for vacation. Taking a day off is no big deal, but taking a week off sets you back so far that it makes you unable to even enjoy your vacation while you're away from work. Not to mention that even while you're gone you'll still be answering calls and emails from clients (and coworkers who are covering for you) -- constantly.
    The work space is unacceptable for adults working in this industry. Loan officers at Veterans United work shoulder to shoulder in cubicles, like minimum wage workers at a customer service call center. A loan officer at any other bank would have an office or a private work space to carry out their business while working with a borrower's personal and confidential information. A professional working in this industry would be turned off knowing they would have to work in that kind of environment. Simply unprofessional. Have an upset client? You'll be taking that call in front of about 15 other people unless you walk outside the building. But at the end of the day, VU is a loan mill that found a niche in the mortgage market that was immune to the market crash (VA loans), and they take advantage of our nation's finest to make a buck. They routinely give loans to folks fresh out of bankruptcy, short sales, etc. They just want to close the deal, and the VA loan makes it easy.
    The VU foundation is funded by donations directly from the salaries of employees (I myself donated), yet the company takes the credit for the work the foundation does. They get the credit and keep their money. It's a win/win for VU.

Advice to Management

I know that you pride yourselves on your employee reviews and your "best place to work" rating, but the fact is that people are not honest when they fill those out. It's like a fraternity, no one in the fraternity is going to talk bad about the fraternity because your fraternity is cooler than other people’s fraternities. It’s simple tribalism, and the fact that you push it so hard makes it obvious you’re fishing for the good surveys. I know it gives you good publicity, but I would just encourage you to look past it and really try to understand what is important to people. (Hint: it's money) You need to pay higher wages, plain and simple. Giving away cheap fountain soda and t-shirts worked for a while but it's not going to make folks happy for long.
    Lastly, you need to find an aggressive pay scale to provide incentives for your loan officers. As a new loan officer, you'll make the same amount of money in your 5th year as you did in your first year unless you divorce your wife and kids and marry your job. What's the incentive to stick around? How will someone grow their career? Teaming up and hiring assistants doesn’t really work in the long run unless you change the pay structure. The new bonus structure is a joke. Paying back your overtime is a joke. Paying for appraisals on broken deals is a joke. Start thinking about the people who are on the front lines, provide them with REAL rewards, share your profits, and quit being selfish.

Consider this: ALL of the production managers and directors, who were loan officers when they started at VU, were paid on a commission and received very high income. Back when they started I doubt any of them would have chosen to work as loan officers at Veterans United if they were offered the pay that you're currently offering loan officers. They would have laughed and walked out the front door. It's hypocritical for them to expect new loan officers to be happy with an income that they wouldn't have accepted for themselves. They're talented people, but give the same opportunity to your new hires.

15 Dec, 2017 – HR Representative

A Loan Officer job at VU is not for everyone and it sounds like it was not the best fit for your strengths and motivation. We work really, really hard to help get our Veterans into homes. We also... More

5. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Cons

Lack of career growth or opportunities

21 Dec, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback and thank you for being one of the great people we've had for over 5 years. We’d like to encourage you to reach out to your HR manager who would be willing to help you with... More

"Loan Specialist"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. You can wear what you want and make your own hours for the most part. There are lots of company events to boost involvement.

Cons

This company will hire an intern over a seasoned employee. Not much room for advancement. Since my hiring I've seen many college graduates come on and take positions over seasoned staff.

Advice to Management

Better define what it takes to be promoted and qualifications for positions.

11 Dec, 2017 – HR Representative

Thanks for taking the time to send us this review. We’d like to encourage you to reach out to your associate director of production or your HR manager, both of whom would be willing to help you with... More

7. "Loan Originator"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Flexible Schedule and great co-workers

Cons

Not good marketing or lead management

Advice to Management

Promote from within and give people starting out the proper tools and training

30 Nov, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks, it's the great people at VU who make us who we are. We're always striving to update and improve training to give employees the best tools they need to enhance the lives of our veterans.... More

8. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans (Less than a year)

Pros

VUHL truly cares about you, your family and your goals (with the company and without). They work with you to put you and your family first. And they is always seems to be room for growth within the company

Cons

At this point there isn’t anything that I can think of that would be a con... maybe one thing would be to offer more training and follow up training after employees have been hired for awhile. I think this would help clear some miscommunications that happen.

6 Nov, 2017 – Culture Rep

Welcome to VU and thanks for the review. Family is very important around here and we hope your family, and work family, continue to flourish. We always evaluate the way we do things and work on new... More

9. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Great training and wonderful working environment

Cons

Work load is feast or famine at times. Bonus structure has changed numerous times.

Advice to Management

Pick a bonus structure and stick with it so income can be counted on.

30 Nov, 2017 – Culture Rep

We appreciate you taking the time to leave some feedback. Along with our training programs, we are constantly looking at the bonus structure for ways to improve it for our employees.

10. "Great company"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Very employee oriented, room to move up, flexible schedules, great work-life balance.

Cons

Insurance is expensive and lackluster, tension between departments can be stressful.

6 Nov, 2017 – Culture Rep

Hi, thanks for the feedback. We try hard to make work-life balance a reality for each employee and not just an afterthought. Our insurance is something that is constantly being looked at and... More

11. "Amazing company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Benefits
    Friendly People
    Family atmosphere
    Great work life balance

Cons

Have not found one yet

Advice to Management

N/A

19 Oct, 2017 – Culture Rep

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it!