Veterans United Home Loans Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4.2
Veterans United Home Loans CEO Nate Long
Nate Long

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "From pay to work life balance, to equal consideration in the workplace- I couldn't say enough" (in 17 reviews)

• "Work life balance, casual dress code, awesome co workers" (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • "Loan Officers are commissioned but clock in/out like hourly" (in 6 reviews)

• "The family health insurance packages are honestly not that great, and could be a bit more competitive" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Amazing Culture and Professionalism"

Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Web Applications Developer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being in IT, there are often times we have to deploy something during "off" hours, so before 8 AM or after 6PM, and it is still something I look forward to even when it's early in the morning because working here is so amazing.

The people are fantastic, the culture and values here stand out right away and blow me away every single day. I look forward to coming to work, after which there are several times I will go hang out with coworkers and play games while we discuss improvements to our applications! :)

I am treated like an adult. If there is some family issue that needs to be taken care of, I am told to go take care of it no questions asked. I am trusted and respected a great deal more than any other job I've ever had.

Competitive pay and benefits definitely played a role in my decision to apply to VU, but it wasn't as big as the culture. While I was offered comparable Pay and Benefits, my overall decisions were based off of Culture and Leadership, which I continue to experience every day and I love this job even more.

Cons

I only get to spend so many hours at work, but luckily I can take my laptop home and work from home when I have an idea I want to improve on.

Really though, I can't say a bad thing about working here. It has been absolutely amazing in every way and I hope to work here for a very, very long time.

Advice to Management

Keep. It. Up.

9 Mar, 2018 – Culture Rep

Wow, thank you for the wonderful words. We wouldn’t be who we are without the awesome people, who we are lucky to have!

"Read this if you plan to work at VU"

Current Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1. You can make your own schedule
    2. Leads provided
    3. Massages Monthly
    4. Free snacks and drinks
    5. Fun parties and group events
    6. The company is well known which helps with lead conversion.

Cons

1. Pay is less then most loan companies. Do not expect any raises on your base income
    2. Leadership does not help much if your struggling.
    3. commission scale has changed 2 times since I have been there in 4 years and they are charging salaried LO's fees
    4. Rates are about 1/8th above other companies.
    5. In order to keep up with top loan officers you will be expected to work nights and Weekends. If you don't your efficiencies will drop
    6. They are pushing referrals, but paying you the same on leads you generate.
    7. Commission LO's will make about 1.5 times more then you on same business
    8. Team Leads produce as well as manage and are over worked. they don't have time to truly help you if new or struggling.

Advice to Management

1. Increase the salary LO's pay
    2. If a loan officer is struggling pull calls and work with them 1 on 1 to help succeed.
    3. Stop hiring friends to leadership position and hire people that are actually qualified.
    4. Remove Team Leads from production so they can actually help LO's become more successful.
    5. Stop wasting money on parties, year books, wasted meetings(small group).

5 Feb, 2019 – HR Representative

We take every review seriously and appreciate the time you took to write out your thoughts. The past few years we have increased our dedicated team that provides production support through training... More

"Great place and they know it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with
    Good common goals
    Lots of intimate work relationships
    Strong teamwork
    Free snacks/soda
    Definitely know how to take care of you as a person, not just an employee

Cons

Lots of kool-aid. Not always a bad thing, but it can be a little overwhelming at times.

5 Feb, 2019 – Culture Rep

Thank you for being part of the VU family and for leaving feedback. We're glad you are here!

4. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Loan Specialist in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Values are taken seriously, fun place to work, feels like company really cares about employees' well being

Cons

Insurance is quite expensive if insuring more than yourself, no tuition reimbursement if attending school, can feel "pigeon holed" in one position or department.

14 Dec, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you! We do like to live our values as much as possible which include having fun while being passionate about what we do. We also take pride in truly caring about our family members which means... More

5. "Underwriter"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Excellent Benefits and lots of extras

Cons

Quick to hire, quick to fire

Advice to Management

patience and understanding

12 Nov, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback!

6. "Fun culture but also very demanding and stressful"

Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Loan Officer in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun almost start up culture

Cons

Can be very stressful and is slowly moving to a more corporate structure as those at the top are getting farther removed from day to day operations

29 Oct, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave some feedback. Feel free to reach out to your manager, Culture or HR if there is anything we can do to support you.

7. "Best company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

They invest in there employees.

Cons

Very competitive to get a job for this company

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

11 Oct, 2018 – Culture Rep

We appreciate the feedback and thanks for being part of the VU family!

"Account Manager"

I worked at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Coworkers were awesome, supervisor was great, got to help Veterans every day. Good perks like no dress code and on-site masseuse.

Cons

Hardly any room for growth in Operations department. Not enough PTO. Can be a very high stress position depending on volume and there is constant change. Company can’t seem to get department staffing right- it always seemed like we were either understaffed & completely swamped, or overstaffed and bored. People got promoted based on whether or not they were a favorite of management (which seemed to only be people that sucked up and weren’t honest), not by merit or experience.

Advice to Management

Promote people who deserve it and who have earned it, whether they’re your favorite or not.

23 Oct, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thanks for your feedback from when you worked at VU. We always try to find the right balance to accommodate the Veterans we serve. We also actively work on ways that each employee can make a... More

9. "Always room for improvement, but a solid company to work for"

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time

Pros

Really enjoy that I’m able to start my day a little earlier than most. Though there have been a lot of cut backs recently, the occasional free lunch is nice. Benefits are average. Was very accommodating after a medical issue. If you want to be super involved, they offer many different activities.

Cons

Was told when I was hired that there would be all kinds of advancement opportunities, which hasn’t materialized. Our location seems to have stopped hiring all together. Haven’t received a raise in the 2 review cycles I’ve had. Have now been told I was hired at the max pay rate for my position.

Unsure if it’s just the people who happen to work near me, but it’s a very hostile environment. Coworkers constantly taking bad about other departments once they hang up the phone. Makes the culture everyone raves about seem phony.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent up front about advancement opportunities. Try to find a way to lessen the hostility between departments and make offices outside of Columbia feel more apart of the team.

17 Oct, 2018 – HR Representative

Thank you for sharing your feedback and positive overall rating. It sounds like your experience at VU has not been what you expected. We’d love to talk with you more one-on-one to understand your... More

"Your experience will vary based on your department and team"

Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)
    Current Employee - LOA in Columbia, MO (US)

I have been working at Veterans United Home Loans full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most employees/team leads/manager are great as is the company culture. That is not true across the board. HR will work with you to move teams or positions if that is needed but results are not guaranteed.

Cons

Your team leader will determine your experience here more than any other company I have ever worked with. Most are good, some are bad and run through teammates quickly. Management does little to coach bad team leaders.

Advice to Management

Coach/censure bad LO's and team leaders. Running through assistants and having nothing happen is not acceptable.

18 Sep, 2018 – Culture Rep

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback. As our values state, we are constantly looking for ways to improve and manager training will continue to be an area we focus on cultivating. Your... More