Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Vertex Pharmaceuticals CEO Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
Jeffrey Leiden, M.D., Ph.D
  1. "Research Scientist"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great Company, great staff, excellent conditions

Cons

Very fast paced, lack of efficient communication

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2017-07-13

"Senior Software Dev"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in North York, ON

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Team to work for

Cons

Worst Management, no respect, no ethics, no values, no coordination

Advice to Management

Can handle colleagues better

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2018-05-15
  3. "Research Scientist"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good Salary Employees are well trained

Cons

There is no work life balance

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2015-02-27
  4. "Best work culture within Big Pharma"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Simply the best work culture due to co-located team, strong internal cross-functional rotations, price premium in monopoly market and good leadership

Cons

Might not be the most digitally savvy, because of the lack of competition in current therapeutic areas

Advice to Management

Never let hold of your work culture. Be careful while hiring new people with string technical expertise that can help manage categories like pain, but lacks Vertex values.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-20
  5. "EXCELLENT COMPANY TO WORK FOR"

Current Employee - Senior Buyer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Competitive salary. Incredible benefits. Free stock options. Perfect Seaport location. State of the art amenities. Wonderful culture and environment to work

Cons

Uncertainty of executive leadership and future pipeline goals

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-05

September 9, 2019Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the positive feedback.

"Sometimes Diversity is Discriminatory"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Had some great years here until the new crew took over.

Cons

Currently it is a rudderless ship full of manipulative self promoting snakes. If you are a white male BEWARE. Their diversity model does not include you. In fact, the more they hold down, the more "diverse" they appear. Best move I made was leaving.

Advice to Management

Good luck. The Boston area is about to get much more competetive and you people are going to have difficulty hiring legit workers instead of shmoozers.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-19

"STOP!"

Former Employee - Scientist in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Benefits -Pay -Location -Some people are smart and fun to be around

Cons

-Work/life balance STILL non-existent -Required to multitask to ineffiency and burn out -The churn of logistics disables the science -Constant chaos, constant sprint, very disorganized

Advice to Management

To top management: STOP! We.need.more.mid-level.scientists.in.CMC.to.work.here.to.meet.the.timelines.otherwise.slow.them.down! Stop putting CMC management in a bind! Without CMC you have NOTHING to put into the clinic, NOTHING! Hire more full time, mid-level employees at RSL! Why do you think your model works to keep burning people out? It is NOT productive, NOT sustainable, and A COMPLIANCE RISK! Stop making... people stressed out and suffer, causing them to lash out at their direct reports, peers, and their own management!

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-12

September 16, 2019Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for your review. We will make sure that we provide your review to the proper department and will try and improve on what you have pointed out.

"Want a life? Don't work here"

Current Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits, PTO, compensation, location, facilities

Cons

- Some parts of the company work all the time - including Thanksgiving and Christmas. If you're not working nights and weekends, you're "not committed." - Outdated model of needing to see "butts in the chair" despite the craziness this causes employees (who are working around the clock) - Lack of leadership in some functions - Micromanagement from all levels of leadership, yet senior managers are overwhelmed and... can't make decisions - Favoritism

Advice to Management

None - They're not interested in what the peanut gallery thinks.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-09

September 16, 2019Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank your for taking the time to write your review. We take feedback very seriously and will make sure yours is provided to the right departments.

"All talk, no walk"

Current Employee - GMDA in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great salary and benefits: -10%+ yearly bonuses with 20-50% stock awards that vest over 3 years. -4 weeks vacation to start and company shut down between Christmas and New year -$300/month commuter benefit, charitable donation matching, and $125/month student loan payment  -401k is just OK with 100% match for up to 3% and 50% match for an additional 1-3% I am lucky that I work on a team with a manager who is... supportive, empathetic, and reasonable. The people I work closest with are smart, helpful, and generally easy to work with. Like most places, your experience will vary depending on the department and immediate team. Vertex as a whole is extremely successful, and I take pride in working for a company that focuses on rare genetic diseases and research.

Cons

All the comments about senior management in GMDA are spot-on. The comment about adding barriers instead of value is particularly accurate. Extra layers of process and review add inefficiencies and confusion. Decision makers are either unresponsive, unreasonable, or can't agree with each other. They also want their hands in every. little. thing.  Vertex talks a big talk about wanting to support its employees, help... them grow, maintain work-life balance, "push decision making down and out" (please), but never follows through. There is a lot of unnecessary pressure and finger-pointing that leads to fear and burnout. They badger and bribe employees to complete an "optional" development plan so that they can say they got 100% participation and claim they did something to support employee development; whether the content of these plans is actually useful is another story. Vertex also talks big about innovation and excellence, but, in my department in particular, opportunities are decided by seniority instead of merit. I am told time and again that I'm ahead of my peers who have been here longer, and yet they get most of the choice projects and growth opportunities. People are ridiculously sensitive about fairness.

Advice to Management

You can't keep pushing drugs through the clinic at back-breaking speed by having employees work (and re-work) endlessly. You need to get MORE EFFICIENT. Stop changing things at the last minute. Establish clear processes and STICK TO THEM. Listen to your seasoned workers and you might actually get it right the first time. Invest in technology.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-08-24

September 3, 2019Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review. We take feedback seriously and are working on the issues you wrote about. We will make sure your feedback is sent to the leadership team and HR.

"Great Potential, Managers need to support subordinates better!!"

Current Employee - Co-Op Student in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Awesome work, great pay, potential for amazing opportunities, some of the most experienced and smart people..

Cons

People here often become tunnel visioned because the strenuous deadline, need more flexibility for actually working efficiently.. Politics is one of the worst things here, can make working here toxic(needs to stop, really!!)

Advice to Management

You have amazing people as managers and people in general, please advice them to be more free in training and shaping entry level and mid level employees for the future. I sincerely believe you can make one of the best institution in every way. Upper Management should focus on efficiently working on one finalized plan/or a limited number of plans and see those through instead of having every other group do... something else entirely. Again, you have amazing people!! give them new responsibilities, give promotions more frequently, help them grow. Hire more fresh minds

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2019-09-04

September 9, 2019Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for your feedback. We will make sure to send your comments to the proper departments.

Found 321 reviews