Vertex Pharmaceuticals Reviews

Updated May 20, 2020

3.3
Vertex Pharmaceuticals President and CEO Reshma Kewalramani
Reshma Kewalramani
Pros
  • "Great benefits and overall perks(in 34 reviews)

• "Great people to work with, very open to fresh ideas no matter how new you are(in 24 reviews)

1. "Research Scientist"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

Great Company, great staff, excellent conditions

Cons

Very fast paced, lack of efficient communication

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2017-07-13

"Senior Software Dev"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in North York, ON

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good Team to work for

Cons

Worst Management, no respect, no ethics, no values, no coordination

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2018-05-15
  3. "Research Scientist"

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Pros

Good Salary Employees are well trained

Cons

There is no work life balance

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2015-02-27

"Run, don't walk to Vertex!"

Current Employee - Human Resources in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Amazing culture, focused on both the patients and the employees. Senior leadership understands how critical it is that their employees are not only happy and engaged, but also have the time and tools to create the best work/life balance for themselves. I joined virtually at the start of the pandemic and was amazed at how seamless the onboarding was. They had seemingly thought of everything that could go wrong and already had a plan in place. I have never been in an organization where I felt so at home so quickly. Every employee has been warm, helpful and really embraces the Vertex phenotype of leading by example, learning, teaching and developing, fostering exceptional collaboration, driving breakthrough results and promoting enterprise thinking. These are all values which are a large part of what makes Vertex such a special place to work. Of course their benefits are incredible, and with the success they've experienced, there are lots of opportunities for future growth. What stood out to me immediately is how frequently they promote from within, along with a strong commitment to D&I. When I interviewed at their beautiful Seaport headquarters, I swear i could feel the positive energy the minute I stepped off the elevator. The funny thing is, I also feel that energy whenever we have a zoom meeting. It's the PEOPLE, and I am so excited to get back to the office when it is deemed safe to do so, and meet everyone in person!

Cons

Every company has pros and cons, but I personally have not yet found anything that I would consider a con.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-05-08

May 11, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you so much for the nice review and welcome to Vertex! It is really great to hear you are off to a great start and you are enjoying the culture.

"Strong science but demoralizing culture"

2.0
    Former Employee - Director in Boston, MA
    No Opinion of CEO

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Vertex is driven by robust science. The commitment to treating rare diseases and improving the lives of patients is admirable.

Cons

I wish I could say that the focus on scientific integrity outweighed the disrespect and demoralizing culture. Favoritism is prevalent, and not confronted - which just enables the poor behavior. I took pride in working collaboratively and sharing my knowledge, and most especially leading rather than managing. These values and behaviors were not encouraged. The relentless narrow timelines and constant reactive mode of working were/are unsustainable. Similarly, on many occasions cross functional teams possessing a breadth of knowledge would make a well informed decision, only to be over ruled by an executive with little involvement with the project or Team. Consensus driven decisions aren’t realistic most of the time, but decisions based on input from subject matter experts are integral to successful outcomes.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-05-14

May 19, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback about your experience at Vertex. We will make sure to provide your feedback to the proper departments.

"Reshma Must Work on Her Ego"

1.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time

Pros

The patients were given importance.

Cons

Reshma is an overly egoistic person who l=thinks that everything she does or says is always right. She needs to work on her ego problems, or she will keep making the wrong business decisions and might ruin the company one day. She never or valued my opinion.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-05-20
  7. "Awesome company, focused on great science and changing lives"

Current Employee - Associate Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

Mission-driven, dedicated employees and leaders, inclusive environment, great benefits, passionate and ambitious about what they're trying to accomplish, focus on continuous improvement.

Cons

I can't think of specific cons, but appreciate they are always working to improve processes and reduce complexity.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-04-09

April 29, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

We appreciate you taking the time to post your review. It is always great to hear when an employee is happy at their job.

8. "Top Company, Top CEO"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Value for employees and benefits

Cons

Being culture fit is key

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-04-09

April 29, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review and posting a positive review. We will take your feedback and provide it to the right departments.

"Vertex is an Excellent Company Heading in the Right Direction"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for less than a year

Pros

There is significant care, attention and focus put on patients. It puts everyone working for Vertex in the right perspective to produce, quickly, efficiently and safely, all for the right reasons. Excellent comp and equity with the company. It's basically an employee-owned company in a lot of ways. When the company does well, patients and employees do well. Goals and values are clear and unwavering.

Cons

The speed of work is typically a great thing but can be daunting.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-04-03

April 29, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time in posting your review. Glad to hear you are enjoying your time at Vertex.

"Fast-paced, challenging and innovative place to work with great employees"

Current Employee - Communication Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vertex Pharmaceuticals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone at Vertex is extremely passionate about their work and helping patients, and it shows. From scientists at the bench to employees in G&A functions, and everyone in between, teams are always coming together to solve problems and innovate across the company so that we can get medicines to patients as fast as possible. It's inspiring to work with so many smart, passionate people - especially at a place that truly cares about my career growth and provides excellent benefits.

Cons

Timelines are tight and expectations are high, so the work can be demanding at times - but it's worth it.

Vertex Pharmaceuticals2020-04-02

April 29, 2020Vertex Pharmaceuticals

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are very happy to hear you are enjoying your job at Vertex.

Found 349 reviews