Verizon Wireless Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Lowell McAdam
4,088 Ratings

8,648 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent pay and benefits offered (in 672 reviews)

• Great pay (a bit more for being bilingual) great benefits since day 1 (in 1706 reviews)

Cons

1. "Multiple Positions Held at Company"

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to change locations fairly easily, great pay and benefits for health and tuition assistance.

Cons

Difficulty in advancement, must be in sales oriented position and have an "in" with a higher up. Very cliquey.

Advice to Management

To not be afraid to terminate underperforming management.

2. "VERY POLITICAL…..but pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Account Executive
    Former Employee - Business Account Executive

Pros

*Lots of career opportunities internally
    *Free cell phone service
    *Sponsorship events are great (i.e. Indy 500, Boat-Sport & Travel Show, etc.)

Cons

*Very political environment so if you want to advance/get promoted; you need to, unfortunately, play the office politic(s) game every second on the job. If not, another employee/co-worker fixated on playing the game well (one with less tenure, experience & sales #'s on the board) will pass right by you in a blink of the eye

*Sales Quotas are high/difficult to achieve

Advice to Management

*Make the sales requirements more achievable so reps can have a realistic shot in
      accomplishing the "Winner's Circle Club"

*Provide more team building events for the sales teams (i.e. BAE's & MAM's)

3. "Wasnt bad"

Current Employee - Kitchen Master in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Kitchen Master in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

People were generally nice to work with.

Cons

It sometimes got boring, lots of standing as well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Stressful, emotionally draining and overall toxic environment"

Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits and 401k matching
    Commitment to having a diverse workforce
    Same-sex partner benefits even in states where they are not legally required

Cons

This was a difficult job from a moral standpoint. At least at store level, the company prioritizes immediate numbers above all else -- including the customer's needs and wants. Though I was hired as a Retail Customer Care Representative, I was required to sell -- and in 2010, every customer care rep was forced to move into a commissioned sales position. With no dedicated customer service employees the customer experience suffered immensely. Sales reps were, in theory, supposed to handle all customer service and technical issues that came into the store -- but taking the time to assist a customer with an issue was damning to any individual rep's numbers. Even if we could squeeze a sale out of someone with a warranty issue (and we were expected to), the company made time spent with these customers not worth the payoff. Any phone sold without a data package was also damning to our numbers. We were required to pitch smart phones to elderly customers who could barely handle a flip device. It felt predatory and inconsiderate. VZW likes to talk about integrity as one of its core values, but there were many times when I witnessed management turn a blind eye to shady sales practices because the rep was making numbers.

There is NO work/life balance to speak of. Mandatory overtime was common, not just during the holiday season but whenever the zone was understaffed or a new product was launched. Though the company offered a fair amount of personal and vacation time it was very difficult to actually use it.

During my five years with VZW I was moved to different stores within my area a total of seven or eight times. Teams and management were constantly changing. Having a good management team could make the job's unique struggles almost bearable; bad management made it into hell. Verbal abuse and intimidation were commonly used against under performing employees. My last store manager before I left the company was extremely unprofessional. She would walk around the store slamming drawers and cursing on a regular basis. She berated employees in front of customers, and gossiped about individual employees to their peers. Despite several people complaining to human resources and the district manager, and several representatives actually leaving the company because of her, her behavior never changed. The work environment was absolutely toxic.

Advice to Management

A good sales representative does not necessarily make for a good manager. Store-level supervisors needs to manage more than sales to be effective, and to create a cohesive working environment.

"Rewarding but demanding place to work."

Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Compensation is competitive but you will work very hard for it. Culture is excellent and exhibited and practiced from the top down. Benefits are excellent and cost reasonable. 401k match and profit sharing. Lots of training and professional development opportunities. Can advance if you're willing to relocate.

Cons

Company is trying to transform into what it wants to be beyond a wireless carrier (cloud?, security?, telematics?, wholesaler?, etc) and is struggling with a vision, resources, and org structure to make it a reality. Several re-organizations over last few years so job security has frequently been a question. Often delayed response to competitors caused by management's concern that acting would result in not meeting Wall Street expectations. Not the "happiest" place to work because no result is ever good enough and successes aren't celebrated because the focus is always on the next weekly/monthly/quarterly goal.

7. "Sr. Analyst Quality & Performance Assurance"

Former Employee - Several - Supervisor/Consultant/Senior Analyst in Wallingford, CT (US)

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing Company! I enjoyed my 17 1/2 years employed with them. Great benefits & always opportunity to career advancement. Highly recommend for anyone seeking longterm employment. Performance Based shift bid allows you the opportunity to work the shift of your choice even if you are a new employee!!

Cons

The only con was the companies decicison to close their call centers in the Northeast Area. Sadly, for personal reasons I was unable to relocate at that specific time. Hopefully within the next 3-5 years I will be in a situation where I am able to relocate South & Verizon Wireless would be my 1st choice in employment!

"Solutions specialist"

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work with a great team, see how the market and products are always changing. A company that you can move around in and grow a successful career .

Cons

Retail hours, and the general public can be difficult sometimes.

Advice to Management

Keep motivating and pushing your employees to strive for better within the company.

9. "Senior Pricing Analyst"

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Incredible workplace, work life balance and people are amazing

Cons

There are too many meetings

10. "Sales"

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Good Benefits and some of your peers turn into real friends

Cons

Very pushy managment and will work you without takig break if you dont ask. Shows a lot of favortism

Advice to Management

Hire more knowledgable managers

11. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Greenville, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Greenville, SC (US)

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Career growth. Open door policy. I’ve been with Verizon for almost 2 years. They have fantastic benefits and work with those who want to further their career. The leadership is great. There’s always support in every direction. If your willing to work hard, this company will help you achieve your goals.

Cons

Not any that stand out. People who can’t handle constant change may want to look elsewhere. In sales the only constant is change.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Showing 8,648 of 8,876 reviews