Verizon Wireless Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

4,345 Ratings

9,153 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Strained work/life balance based on the shift system" (in 954 reviews)

• "No work life balance (you are supposed to attend the call even at 12 AM)" (in 268 reviews)

1. "Multiple Positions Held at Company"

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Ability to change locations fairly easily, great pay and benefits for health and tuition assistance.

Cons

Difficulty in advancement, must be in sales oriented position and have an "in" with a higher up. Very cliquey.

Advice to Management

To not be afraid to terminate underperforming management.

2. "VERY POLITICAL…..but pretty good place to work"

Former Employee - Business Account Executive
    Former Employee - Business Account Executive

Pros

*Lots of career opportunities internally
    *Free cell phone service
    *Sponsorship events are great (i.e. Indy 500, Boat-Sport & Travel Show, etc.)

Cons

*Very political environment so if you want to advance/get promoted; you need to, unfortunately, play the office politic(s) game every second on the job. If not, another employee/co-worker fixated on playing the game well (one with less tenure, experience & sales #'s on the board) will pass right by you in a blink of the eye

*Sales Quotas are high/difficult to achieve

Advice to Management

*Make the sales requirements more achievable so reps can have a realistic shot in
      accomplishing the "Winner's Circle Club"

*Provide more team building events for the sales teams (i.e. BAE's & MAM's)

3. "Wasnt bad"

Current Employee - Kitchen Master in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Kitchen Master in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Verizon Wireless (More than 10 years)

Pros

People were generally nice to work with.

Cons

It sometimes got boring, lots of standing as well.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Stressful, emotionally draining and overall toxic environment"

Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Retail Customer Service Representative

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Competitive benefits and 401k matching
    Commitment to having a diverse workforce
    Same-sex partner benefits even in states where they are not legally required

Cons

This was a difficult job from a moral standpoint. At least at store level, the company prioritizes immediate numbers above all else -- including the customer's needs and wants. Though I was hired as a Retail Customer Care Representative, I was required to sell -- and in 2010, every customer care rep was forced to move into a commissioned sales position. With no dedicated customer service employees the customer experience suffered immensely. Sales reps were, in theory, supposed to handle all customer service and technical issues that came into the store -- but taking the time to assist a customer with an issue was damning to any individual rep's numbers. Even if we could squeeze a sale out of someone with a warranty issue (and we were expected to), the company made time spent with these customers not worth the payoff. Any phone sold without a data package was also damning to our numbers. We were required to pitch smart phones to elderly customers who could barely handle a flip device. It felt predatory and inconsiderate. VZW likes to talk about integrity as one of its core values, but there were many times when I witnessed management turn a blind eye to shady sales practices because the rep was making numbers.

There is NO work/life balance to speak of. Mandatory overtime was common, not just during the holiday season but whenever the zone was understaffed or a new product was launched. Though the company offered a fair amount of personal and vacation time it was very difficult to actually use it.

During my five years with VZW I was moved to different stores within my area a total of seven or eight times. Teams and management were constantly changing. Having a good management team could make the job's unique struggles almost bearable; bad management made it into hell. Verbal abuse and intimidation were commonly used against under performing employees. My last store manager before I left the company was extremely unprofessional. She would walk around the store slamming drawers and cursing on a regular basis. She berated employees in front of customers, and gossiped about individual employees to their peers. Despite several people complaining to human resources and the district manager, and several representatives actually leaving the company because of her, her behavior never changed. The work environment was absolutely toxic.

Advice to Management

A good sales representative does not necessarily make for a good manager. Store-level supervisors needs to manage more than sales to be effective, and to create a cohesive working environment.

"You’re in a sales position. If you like to talk you’ll do good."

Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Specialist in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Matching 401k, tuition assistance. Most teams you’ll find (in a corporate environment) are high spirited and managers are overall great mentors.

Cons

In this position, you have to know that growth drives your paycheck. Commission structure is based off how much revenue and growth a person can create. Sometimes a little shady which is odd because they have a “integrity” piece in their motto. Also, position defers most tech support to customer service which is over the phone and leaves older customers struggling to do it themselves.

Advice to Management

I feel like customers will be a lot more “sticky” if in store Verizon reps were inclined to help out customers instead of suggesting to call Apple Care or C/S and giving them a blank stare until they get the point and leave. It’s super frustrating being someone that really wants to help out fix issues but given the pay structure, I’m incentivized to shuffle them along if they don’t want to upgrade the device, so they no longer have a specific issue which I KNOW I can fix in 15 - 30 minutes.

"Soultions Specialist"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay wonderful benefits and great offers for advancement

Cons

The customers are way to needy and Verizon will not allow you to help based on there policy’s

Advice to Management

Be fair to the sales rep make sure they are not making quotas so high

7. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Unavailable in Seffner, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Unavailable in Seffner, FL (US)

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great working environment I believe to satisfy the customer believing in myself to work harder on a daily basis to Improve my workplace

Cons

Not sure but most likely would want to experience the job at higher levels to experience a whole new career

Advice to Management

On time at work positive worker always to better my job as long as I have a good salary or not as long as I have a job I would work my hardest to better my job at that

8. "Tech Apprentice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elgin, IL (US)

I worked at Verizon Wireless full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Competitive pay, good benefits, supportive supervisors, fun company culture

Cons

Shift bidding based on rank and seniority which can result in awful schedules, stressful customers

"Great place but demanding"

Pros

Commission structure is overall, good.

Cons

Very demanding. Pressure to sell more.

10. "Not a bad gig"

I have been working at Verizon Wireless full-time

Pros

Decent pay good vacation hours and benefits. Tuition assistance.

Cons

Work life balance could be better

Advice to Management

COuld be better at developing employees and helpling them gro within company

Showing 9,153 of 9,400 reviews