Vendasta "social committee" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Vendasta Employee Reviews about "social committee"

Updated Nov 22, 2019

4.2
Vendasta Chief Executive Officer Brendan King (no image)
Brendan King
Pros
  • "Free food everyday, free beer every Friday(in 12 reviews)

• "Fantastic social committee events, free catered lunches, weekly All Hands meetings, and a fun work environment(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • "Can be too fast paced for some people(in 4 reviews)

• "(in 4 reviews)

Reviews about "social committee"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Learn and Grow!"

Current Employee - Agency Growth Specialist in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Vendasta full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Fun and exciting culture - Tons of opportunity for growth and new challenges - Regular communication and feedback with leadership - A social committee that hosts lots of fun events - Great food service perks

Cons

- Longer hours than some comparable companies - High Stress

Vendasta2019-11-22
  2. "Great Place To Work and Develop Your Career"

I worked at Vendasta full-time

Pros

-Strong corporate culture -Goals are clearly outlined -Information transparency -Open communication at all levels -Breakfast and lunch provided every day -Social committee and lots of fun events

Cons

-Can be too fast paced for some people -Pay is not as competitive as similar jobs in industry

Advice to Management

Doing a great job, but consider that the cost of living is going up and pay should move in line. Benefits are great, but paying bills is better.

Vendasta2019-01-28

"A good place to grow your skills"

I worked at Vendasta full-time

Pros

Flexible hours (depends on your manager though) Free breakfast, lunch, catered lunch on Fridays, social committee events, good hard working people

Cons

Wages, less frequency of increments on existing pay, Old building, less bathrooms, some execs just focus on bigger picture and ignore the issues at granular level.

Advice to Management

Please change the building and take ACTION on the feedbacks received from employees

Vendasta2018-09-07

"There are better places to work"

in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at Vendasta for more than a year

Pros

-While we are first and foremost there to work, there is a place of belonging for everyone. With 250+ employees, you’ll find a work family easily -Food in abundance – I never had to worry about breakfast or lunch (though I definitely pack my own lunch majority of the time) -There’s a very active social committee who work tirelessly to plan 1-2 events monthly. Things like Paint Nite, bowling, karaoke, ski tips, etc. A great way to forge friendships with people you work with. -people are generally friendly -It’s a good entry level job for dipping your toes in the workforce. I learned a ton of skills, from people skills, time management, problem solving, team work, and other skills I wouldn’t have otherwise had the opportunity to learn

Cons

Salary – If you are a developer or software engineer, you’ll be paid a pretty penny. But if you’re in the Distribution department, the salaries are a joke. Definitely not competitive, nor do they adjust for inflation. My take home pay was under $30k a year (roughly $28k). If you’re single or married with no kids, you’ll survive. But I can’t imagine having a family on this income. But maybe they think free food makes up for the lack of decent wages? In addition, there are massive discrepancies between people working in the same position. I was offered a role that was certainly more responsibility than my current position, but offered no raise due to “monthly bonus/commission”. Firstly, you cannot depend on a bonus because depending on your month, you may not get one. Secondly, I knew for a fact that others, doing the SAME role as me, were making several thousand more than me as a salary. I addressed this with HR and was shut down -Benefits – Lackluster. Execs have a better benefit plan than normal employees, which is a pretty clear indication of how poor the plan is. Also – 5 sick days? This is Saskatchewan, where people will usually be sick more than 5 days out of the year because we live in a tundra 60% of the time. Also, given the high-stress, fast paced environment, you would think maybe a “progressive company” would consider the value of allotting a few mental health days a year. -Lack of transparency – Back in the new year there was a huge re-structuring of a department. Many people were not made aware of this and only found out via a slide from a slide show during a department-wide announcement. Job descriptions were changed without asking any input/opinion of those it directly affects. They claim it was to “benefit our partners”. That is fair – however, one would think that perhaps the people doing the work, who it directly affects, would have been treated with more consideration than a pawn in a chess game. It is extremely obvious that Vendasta does not truly care about their employees – only about the end dollar. -Disciplinary measures are bizarre – People can get written up for any reason, or put on a “Performance Improvement Plan” at the blink of an eye. No one is perfect, and as we are human, mistakes happen (in Marketing Services in particular, there is tremendous room for error, as processes were a disaster). Reasons can vary, but it ultimately depends on the relationship you have with your direct supervisor. If they like you, great. If not, be prepared to have zero support from upper management, despite receiving notably different treatment from other, more favoured employees. Numerous employees have been pushed out, as they are painted into a corner and essentially left with no choice but to leave. Is that fair? No, but it’s the norm. I think their intent is to shock you “scare” you, despite sugar coating a write up as an improvement plan. But ultimately, who wants to work in a space where you’re “motivated” by fear? You can do your job, but you never do it “good enough”. You never hear when you’ve done a good job; but if you make a mistake, it’s blown out of proportion and you can prepare to hear about it. It’s a company founded by old drinking buddies – an Old Boys Club – Great ideas can be born at the bar. But the bar mentally needs to be left behind when you start a company. Events are fueled by alcohol (which, don’t get me wrong, can be great). In addition, I knew of a number of employees who did hard drugs at work (high ups included). Many of the upper managers were hired in the early days of this company. Quote from the CRO – “I told my friends ___ and ___ to come work here!”. Nepotism runs rampant, and it becomes obvious when a friend of upper management (who also happens to be in a management position) can get away with making women feel uncomfortable at work events, despite multiple complaints. Is anything done? No – “it’s just what he does”. This is troubling, especially in 2017, when no longer is it ok for men to get away with inappropriate behavior in the workplace. The CEO recently made a joke at the company wide weekly meeting and back tracked, saying something along the lines of “oops, don’t want to end up in the #MeToo movement”. For a CEO to make jokes about a movement surrounding sexually harassment and assault in front of a supposedly progressive company is deeply concerning. HR will post some useless response claiming “the allegations you make are malicious, etc etc etc, I never heard of this,” BUT they did and a girl I worked with DID bring it up TO HR when someone made an extremely unprofessional and inappropriate remark to her. Nothing was done and this individual is STILL there and still making gross advances towards women. This company needs a mass overhaul of upper management, or they will continue to bleed talent like a sieve.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, the pros do not outweigh the cons. Vendasta starts great, but unless you’re friends with execs/management, work tireless overtime hours and relentlessly suck up to the high-ups, you won’t really get anywhere. If I could give Vendasta advice, it would be to humble yourself. This company has the mentality and attitude of the stock market on Wall Street or Apple Industries. While the company has definitely put Saskatchewan on the map for the tech industry, a feat which is really nothing to scoff at, let’s not forget it is a private company in an old office building in Saskatoon, SK. Unfortunately, unless you are bestowing endless praise, any advice that would suggest they are anything other than amazing will fall upon deaf ears. Quitting Vendasta was honestly the best decision I have ever made in my life.

Vendasta2018-08-17

"Fantastic place to work"

Former Employee - Developer in Saskatoon, SK

I worked at Vendasta full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Free breakfast every morning - Free soups and sandwiches for lunch 4 days a week - Free catered lunch from a local restaurant on Fridays - Kitchen with free snacks and beverages - Massage chairs on site - Fantastic work environment - Weekly all-hands meetings to help keep everyone in the loop as to what's going on everywhere else in the company - Regular one-on-one meetings with direct supervisors to help focus your career and/or address any problems that might arise - Active social committee with events almost every week (paint nights, movies, game nights, sporting events, bowling, etc) - Good pay - Solid benefits - Full of people who care about the jobs they do and the people they work with - Flexible hours - No forced overtime - If you grow bored with the work one team is doing, switching to another team is both allowed and encouraged

Cons

- They've outgrown their current building - there's only a handful of toilets to service nearly 300 people

Vendasta2018-05-19

"Amazing team that genuinely cares about your career and happiness"

Current Employee - Marketing in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Vendasta full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

World class leaders and managers that give you limitless opportunities to excel. Incredible company culture. Fantastic social committee events, free catered lunches, weekly All Hands meetings, and a fun work environment. Regular ongoing training with educational assistance program so even new or entry-level staff have opportunities to grow and succeed. Teams and individuals are held accountable for the value they bring to the company. Transparent roadmaps and ongoing communication from senior leadership. New job opportunities pop-up constantly. Growing company with many needs beyond what's required in the short term. Approachable and friendly HR team that always has your best interest in mind.

Cons

I have zero cons. This is the best place I've ever worked, and my coworkers agree.

Advice to Management

Keep rocking it. George is the bomb.

Vendasta2018-03-01

"Culture leads to overall success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Vendasta full-time for more than a year

Pros

- autonomy given to all employees - amazing perks (free food, discounted parking, social committee events, free yoga) - opportunity to grow within the company, tons of internal movement

Cons

- ambiguity is difficult at times

Vendasta2017-10-27
  8. "Great culture and exciting company on the rise"

I have been working at Vendasta full-time

Pros

Young, vibrant, smart team of people Fun culture Great social committee and events Food!

Cons

Communication, Growing pains,Billing issues, Confusing platform

Advice to Management

Billing needs to be fixed for this company to reach it's targets. Either build a billing system that sends the correct invoices to partners, or find a software solution that works.

Vendasta2017-10-25

"getting too big too fast"

I worked at Vendasta full-time

Pros

generally they employ youthful staff that are abreast of upcoming technological shifts. Reasonable starting salary and active social committee, if that's your thing.

Cons

Once you've learned the processes you end up very "stuck" without any real opportunities to grow. Consistent lack of information surrounding decisions made at a divisional level, even though they would declare transparency because they have an hour long Friday Lunch meeting with the entire company. Feeding people is great, but practicing board decks and patting ourselves on the back continually makes my arm hurt and my mind wander. Entire company is expected to watching developers present what they've been working on in the last week, and for department it was a waste of time.

Advice to Management

make your employees feel valued and part of the success of the company not just cogs in the wheel.

Vendasta2017-07-20

"Great culture and people"

I have been working at Vendasta for more than a year

Pros

Company goes a long way to make sure their employees are taken care of at work. Endless amounts of free food, lots of flexibility, and cool social committee events. People are encouraged to explore new areas of learning, and you can expect your work to shift and change within the company to suit your strengths. Vendasta values your unique contributions and your position & job description may change to reflect that.

Cons

Flexibility in work varies between the departments. Having worked in multiple departments, I can see how the culture and "work hard play hard" ratio can change depending on where you work. This may be because the departments can vary greatly in size too, so the flexibile environment for a team of 3 is different than for a team of 30. Sometimes direction/structure is unclear, and communication between different levels of employees (exec -> managers -> individual) is spotty. I don't think anyone is trying to keep others in the dark, but information is not dispersed effectively throughout the teams.

Advice to Management

Look at improving pathways of communication, both internally in departments and inter-departmentally.

Vendasta2017-02-18