Vend Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated Nov 3, 2019

3.9
Vend CEO Alexander Fala
Alexander Fala
Pros
  • "Standard startup perks; dogs, apple gear, team outings and office parties and semi-stocked cupboards(in 19 reviews)

• "The company is generally speaking very flexible, you can work flexible hours, work remotely and also work from home from time to time(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Fast paced is a pro and a con depending on if you can keep up(in 6 reviews)

• "No real path to career development (But that is being fixed and changes are already noticeable)(in 6 reviews)

1. "Great place to grow - fast pace where you can make a true impact"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Transparency in all aspects of business - Respect for one another - Earned autonomy for work - 4+ week vacation - Accountability between all teams and individuals - Growing fast with tons of internal movements/opportunities - Departments are very connected between one another

Cons

- Global company with a few office's, inter-office communication can sometimes be difficult due to time zone differences and not being face to face. Improvements are happening on this front. - Growing pains will occur here just like everywhere else.

Advice to Management

We are all engaged and ready to win here in Toronto, continue to keep us engaged and keep investing in product.

Vend2019-02-06

"Cancerous politics and a clock on cashing out"

I worked at Vend

Pros

Standard startup perks; dogs, apple gear, team outings and office parties and semi-stocked cupboards. An interesting product that’s doing a lot for an industry that needs good solutions.

Cons

Massive political problems between offices, and across, and between teams with undertrained leaders executing badly on vague plans. Constant short-shrift on benefits and pay because of poor market understanding and excuses about “creating amazing experiences.” A period of upheaval a few years ago lead to a large number of “formerly” corporate leaders being brought in to get the company back on track to cashing out,... and long-term employees where burned out then chased off. The culture has never recovered as the suits traded their ties for sweater vests.

Advice to Management

Stop pretending it’s still the same fun startup environment. That disappeared a long time ago. Start paying workers and be honest with them about what Vend is now.

Vend2019-11-03

"Great place to start your career, but limited growth opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vend is a great place to start your career, especially if you have a retail background and you’re looking to move into a full-time role in an office. I had a good work-life balance and got to work with some very smart and kind people. For my role and the point I was at in my career I thought compensation was fair. I also appreciated the resources for learning and development. If you’re single and in reasonably... good health (or have a partner who has health benefits), the benefits coverage was good. The general vibe of the office was good, and I enjoyed going into work every day. If you’ve never worked at a startup, you’ll enjoy Vend’s ‘startup culture.’ I always had the tools I needed to do my job effectively.

Cons

If you’re outside of Auckland (head office), there are almost no opportunities to move into Marketing, Product, or Engineering. There is a strong desire to keep almost every role asides from Sales and Support at HQ, or have it based there. Too often at Vend I felt like new ideas were dismissed, even by employees who would put together a full business plan outlining why there should be a change in process/ new... role created/ new initiative etc. Instead of looking at ‘problems’ as opportunities for company or employee growth, Vend seems to just brush these issues aside. Too often (especially for a place that has ‘startup culture’!) we were told why something couldn’t be done or changed. There was a huge focus on Sales for much of my time with the company, to the extent that roles in other departments were much slower to be backfilled. If you work outside of Sales, you may find yourself with a much heavier workload if one of your team members leaves. Vend puts a lot of emphasis on hiring the best but doesn’t seem keen on retaining them. Career growth is almost non-existent, and even the CPO (Chief People Officer aka HR) has said that if you can’t find a place to grow at Vend, then you need to look for your next job outside the company (and pointed to one of her own employees as an example). I find this disheartening as people really do put their hearts into their work at Vend, and very few are rewarded with promotions or ‘sideways moves’ into another team. I also feel many employees have skills that they do not get to use at all while employed with Vend.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee feedback and take action based on what they tell you.

Vend2019-05-27

"Customer support"

I have been working at Vend full-time

Pros

Get to work with a great team both general support team and entire office

Cons

Hours required to overlap with other offices. Communication with dev team still needs some work

Vend2019-03-28

"SDR"

Current Employee - SDR in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

- they don't just talk about their great culture- they live it. - well rounded and diverse team of hardworking peeps who are passionate about what they do and are all genuinely nice - this is the most supportive sales team I've ever been in - we learn and motivate from each other, no one steals leads/sales from each other - a true friendly competitive environment. You win, I win, Vend wins , we all win :) - The... sales director - Ryan, is the most supportive and empowering manager I've worked with. He's compassionate - understands the struggles of being in the front lines and often host training sessions that improve your skills overall. - 4-week paid vacations PLUS sick days on top - no black outs - brand new mac books you can personalize - casual attire - you can truly be yourself with no judgment - dog friendly office - free bfast and snacks - flex hours - as long as you crush goals and shows up for meetings - option to work from home - You're selling a product that's a leader in the industry who believes in transparent pricing and no contracts - that speaks for itself - fast growing company - you can make your own role here :)

Cons

none i can think of - i love it here! There's not one day i dread coming into work :) I actually dislike working from home because i love being here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing :)

Vend2019-01-30

"Don't Even Bother"

I worked at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Beautiful office space in a good area of the city, snacks and beer runs weekly and really cool Apple office gear. This is a dog friendly office, and some nice people work here.

Cons

This isn't a work environment. Face it Vend, you have team leads that are a joke. I love the words of another poster who said they are spineless jellyfish, which is the truth! They will spit out as many lies as they possibly can to get you to do work while they focus on socializing and promoting those who are kissing butt well. HR/P&C is blind to those who are a violation against the Employee Standards Act.... While others are worked to the bone and overlooked. No career opportunities, this is the funniest thing that they will tell you. Development and budget for development is talked about but never put into action. But don't worry as soon as people realize they need to get out a whole new batch of eager workers come in, and the cycle just continues.

Advice to Management

Get your act together. If you want to keep growing get rid of the people who don't pull their weight because at this rate you will not survive much longer.

Vend2018-11-18

"Love this company and my job!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- major changes made in work process, the management and company as a whole - better benefits have been implemented for all employees through an easy to use and efficient app - great environment and not micro managed - great incentives and compensation for the work you put in - great training sessions of different partnerships and product development and most importantly - transparency! - great team leads in... each department with open stand ups to know how the company is growing and what’s been achieved from individuals and teams - snack bar, weekly drinks, great p&c - all apple products and comfortable work spaces that aren’t just at your desk - flexible work hours if needed and opportunities to work from home but since majority people are responsible and love the job they usually always come in

Cons

I don’t have any at the moment

Advice to Management

Continue the great job and focus on bringing in people who will help grow the company

Vend2018-09-09

"So glad to be out of this cesspool"

Former Employee - Sales in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vend full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very little. Not a modicum of respect for hard working employees and an "old boys" mentality. If you like being bribed with snacks and refurbished technology, this jobs for you!

Cons

-Harassment, bullying, and duress every single day -The hardworking employees get singled out and thrown under the bus while the ones who maintain a great relationship with upper management slide under the radar

Advice to Management

You guys are lucky I didn't make this a legal issue. What I experienced at your company was despicable and there's a reason your employees don't stay. Get your act together, you're a sad excuse for a company. Good luck to you! Alex, you can stay blind to these issues in your Toronto office for as long as you want but you're part of the problem.

Vend2018-07-11

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Nice looking, open concept office - Apple gear - Liquor runs

Cons

- Clueless management - No direction - Rude co workers

Advice to Management

You have a sorry excuse for a company. You're going downhill, and fast. Your training methods are terrible. No one should fall for the fake friend-like behaviour of the staff in this office. They don't deserve your trust, time, or effort. No self-respecting professional would waste their time here. That's why you can't keep your staff in the Toronto office.

Vend2018-07-13

"Working at Vend."

Current Employee - Retail Advocate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vend full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Great, friendly place to work. - Sense of independence when getting the job done, no micro managing like corporate businesses. - Great team building exercises and regular outings. - Everyone has each others back when its comes to helping each other. - Learning about a genuinely good product.

Cons

- No real path to career development (But that is being fixed and changes are already noticeable) - Lack of communication between offices/teams.

Vend2018-05-08