Vena Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

3.7
Don Mal
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Most employees get to work from home at least a couple of days a week" (in 6 reviews)

• "Work-life balance is heavily promoted and encouraged" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "normal growing pains for such a fast growing company (eg" (in 7 reviews)

• "Office space was limited and sometime conjested" (in 5 reviews)

1. "Fast growing, receptive and responsive workplace with typical rapid growth challenges"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lack of red tape, if you need something to do your job need multiple levels of approval. The company responds to critical feedback or suggestions for improvement quickly and implements them where it makes sense. The people are collaborative and smart. The challenges are fun and it allows for rapid career growth. Work-life balance is heavily promoted and encouraged.

Cons

Lack of resources in key areas of the business and a lack of understanding why certain roles are critical. There is more Vena could do to improve the perception that we're a sales over product company.

Advice to Management

Company culture starts with management. While Vena is invested in making the company better overall I think more can be done to hold leaders to account where they or their employees behave unprofessionally.

2. "Anonymous"

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Dynamic. Growth. Ability to impress. Lack of red tape.

Cons

Lack of Brand Awareness. Need to revamp marketing

3. "Almost 2 years and still enjoy working at Vena!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing company
    Lots of opportunities for career advancement or new jobs
    Good office location in Liberty Village

Cons

Adding lots of new processes (I guess this is good and bad). The change is necessary but can be disruptive.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the culture that makes this a fun place to work with great people.

"Like any place, there's good and bad"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance at vena is definitely a benefit you won't see at most places. The ability to turn off at the end of the day (most of the time) and live your personal life is rare to find. This is evident by the ability to work from home most of the week with little to no questioning. You can tell they trust their team as sometimes you don't even see people in office for weeks.

Cons

If you're looking for a company where you can contribute to their development then this may not be the best option for you, unless joining at an executive level. You'll find some leaders enjoy living with the status quo, even if changes would result in positive outcomes. Also, if you're looking at joining this company due to being sold on the culture then this may not be the best place either. The culture worked during the small start-up phase but at the current size of the company it no longer fits and in some cases it is not professional.

Advice to Management

You're doing well on maintaining the start-up perks but it might be time to evaluate if some of those perks line up with where the company is at and where it needs to go. We should also be more open to new sales and marketing strategies because as we continue to grow we're going to need to go down some new avenues. The status quo is what helped build the company to where it is today but it limits what we can do in the future. Lastly, execs need to make their managers more accountable for their actions as the lack of addressing these things is pretty worrying as these managers are looked to as mentors to our team.

2 Oct, 2018 – Chief People Person

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback on working at Vena. We certainly trust our team and we're glad to see that the flexibility in schedule is a positive in your day-to-day. I'm... More

"Trainer"

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent office space. Most staff are very friendly

Cons

Like high school, thriving is about getting into the right cliche. In some departments, how you socialize and who likes you can be more important than job performance.

Advice to Management

Require exit interviews

6. "Good company"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Great place to work. Open space environment. Lotto fun events

Cons

Nothing special, company is growing and more processes are getting added, this may be a problem for some folks.

2 Oct, 2018 – Chief People Person

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your review and feedback. Feel free to pass along any specific suggestions you have to me directly or to any member of the leadership team. - Tracey

"I did not enjoy it at all!"

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

- Great office
    - Industry standard pay
    - Work-life balance

Cons

It might be just me, but I did not enjoy my experience there at all. No/poor structure for everything. Things got easily approved and disapproved the next day. Some people are not very experienced and are trying to learn about their job and people management as they have never had such titles elsewhere and have only got the title here because of the pay scale. I didn't find a good fit for myself but I hope others enjoy it!

Advice to Management

You can't run the company the way you used to, when you were 15 people!

"Amazing place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vena Solutions part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Snack,s collaboration, no boundaries and agile work flow

Cons

Everyone is very busy, you have to be creative to grab time

11 Jul, 2018 – Chief People Person

Thanks for taking your time to provide feedback - we really do appreciate it!

"Software Developer"

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Board of directors and senior product members are friendly and talented. I really enjoyed working with these people. Although some individual's styles contrasted mine, I didn't find it too troubling.

Cons

The management made it an annoying place to work. Part of the management team lacked competency for product development and did not understand the intricacies of our work.

There were instances when management would flag issues which did not concern the department but would address it as a department-wide issue. Although it's best to cradle each team members flaws and help stride them to victory, I do not believe their approach was correct.

The culture was divided between departments which led to a slightly toxic environment. This was a prevalent issue and the cohesiveness lacked. The company mimicked other cultures but executed it poorly.

Advice to Management

There are a variety of tools to assist managers in managing a variety of characters. Product and software development provides a breadth of personalities. Each individual requires a unique approach to help them excel. Additionally, a manager does not need to be a product design or software developer to manage these roles. However, they should understand the line of work they are managing to prove effective.

2 Oct, 2018 – Chief People Person

Thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback. I agree with you that we’ve got great talent here at Vena – I thoroughly enjoying coming to work each day because of the amazing people I get to... More

10. "Practice Manager"

Current Employee - Practice Director
    Current Employee - Practice Director

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great culture, fun, collaborative and progressive
    - Great office environment
    - Very successful company, growing fast, provides great career progression
    -Smart people, great to work with and learn from

Cons

-Fast pace and still has elements of a start-up/not overly structured is great for people who thrive in this environment, but not for people who like highly structured, well defined roles (i.e, working at a Bank or Gov't)

Advice to Management

A little more Strategic Direction.

11 Jul, 2018 – Chief People Person

It is great to hear feedback on your experience here at Vena. I'd agree that Vena offers lots of opportunities for personal growth, learning and development. We hope that you've seen additional... More