Vena Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Updated 16 January, 2019

4.0
Don Mal

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life balance is heavily promoted and encouraged" (in 8 reviews)

• "Most employees get to work from home at least a couple of days a week" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "Typical challenges of a young and fast growing company, but not very noticeable" (in 8 reviews)

• "Open office space is noisy sometimes making it difficult to work" (in 6 reviews)

1. "BDR"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Incredible work/life balance
    -Company culture is second to none
    -Opportunity for professional and personal growth
    - Extremely limited micro-management

Cons

- Honestly difficult to think of any

Advice to Management

-Keep doing what you're doing

2. "Open and Free Culture"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vena is a fast-growing company with an amazing product. People are nice, the executive leadership team is open and honest, and the in-office decorum is professional, but still casual enough to be enjoyable.

Cons

There has been a lack of stability/direction of role expectations since the beginning. Also, the career path and upward progression paths seem to be based on favouritism rather than performance. In some cases, no career path really exists and everything is done ad hoc in that regard.

Lastly, the completely open office concept is incredibly stressful. The noise levels, and visual distractions are at an intolerable level most days and it requires seeking refuge in the occasionally available meeting rooms or other quieter shared spaces in the office.

Advice to Management

Would be great to have clear career paths that are measurable based on performance and certain milestones/objectives that employees can strive towards. The open office concept should be re-examined and serious thought put into dividers, both for sound and visual distractions, with the aim of preserving the mental health/well-being of the employees.

3. "Great company and people. The future is bright!"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time

Pros

Vena is full of incredibly smart committed people. The company continues to grow rapidly and is putting in place people, systems and processes to scale. You can see it happening in every department. The leadership teams across the business are getting stronger at every level.

Cons

Normal growing pains for fast growing company. The speed and breadth of change can be hard to absorb and managing alignment within and across teams is a constant challenge with the rapid pace of growth.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. Focus on clear goals, listen to employee feedback and our customers, maintain open transparent communication about the great things and the challenges we still must overcome as we grow and scale.

4. "Great company culture, lots of upside potential"

Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Software Development Manager in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

What I enjoy about working at Vena:
    - Great people. Everyone collaborates, everyone is motivated to succeed at an individual, team and company level
    - Great product. I've heard first-hand stories from our clients about how much their lives have been improved through using Vena. One client told us she used to work nights and weekends for two weeks every quarter to close off the books for the preceding quarter, and with Vena it's just a few clicks of a button.
    - Great culture. The company has 6 core values that really resonate with me. It's around 250 employees now but still has a startup feel.
    - Growth and success: From the growth I've seen in my 2.5 years here I'd say the company's doing really well.
    - The company puts a lot of weight on ensuring employee engagement is high, identifying anything that gets in the way of that, and addressing it.

Cons

With rapid growth there are always challenges around keeping teams balanced and having the right leader/employee ratios. Right now there aren't enough managers/team leads for the dev team, but the company is doing everything it can to address that.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on our customers and keep the communication coming to employees.

5. "Great place to work, learn and grow (Software development)"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Collaborative environment, great people, friendly atmosphere
    - Lots of learning opportunities
    - Using state of the art technologies. Code base is comparatively new and less legacy code to maintain
    -Innovation days, hack nights and lunch and learns
    - Good work life balance, agile workflow
    - Good location (just beside go station)
    - Managers are understanding and cooperative
    - Recognition and awards
    - Breakfast & snacks, town halls with lunch, team events, release celebrations

Cons

- No clear roadmap for career growth (recently moved from flat to hierarchical structure)
    - Open office space is noisy sometimes making it difficult to work
    - No growth driven bonus opportunities

Advice to Management

-- Create more knowledge transfer opportunities like formal mentor ship programs
    -- Try to build a formalized career path for software development roles
    -- Continue to do what you're doing well, I am happy to work at Vena already

6. "Interesting work! Great People!"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've learned so much in my time with Vena. There is a lot of opportunity to take on new projects and learn from others on my team. I feel like management cares about me and supports my desire to continue to growth with Vena. I would strongly recommend Vena to others that are looking for a strong work environment and great co-workers.

Cons

There really isn't much in terms of areas for improvement. Keep doing what you're doing.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide opportunities for growth and learning. I really like that the leadership is so available to me.

7. "Manager"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Willingness to take risks
    Adaptability to a changing environment
    Brilliant minds!
    Great culture

Cons

Every startup has its challenges when going through a growth spurt, and Vena is not immune to that.

Advice to Management

Ensure that the organization understands the mission and vision of the company loud and clear.

8. "Great Company To Work For"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been at Vena for two years and I personally think it is an amazing place to work. There have been so many great improvements over the past couple of years. We moved into a fantastic new office, we have regular all employee meetings, leaders at all levels are very accessible and approachable, and when feedback is given I feel like something is actually done about it. It is a great environment to work in.

Cons

Things are changing quickly and so if you are not adaptable/open to new things it may be a tough environment to work in.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen and be transparent with what is going on in the business.

9. "Respect the Process"

Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Business Development Representative in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vena Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great management and solid team.

Cons

Communication can be a bit more transparent.

Vena Solutions Response

17 Dec, 2018 – Chief People Person

We appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback and we're glad you had a positive experience with management and the team. Open communication is important and we continue to work on... More

10. "Fast growing, receptive and responsive workplace with typical rapid growth challenges"

I have been working at Vena Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lack of red tape, if you need something to do your job need multiple levels of approval. The company responds to critical feedback or suggestions for improvement quickly and implements them where it makes sense. The people are collaborative and smart. The challenges are fun and it allows for rapid career growth. Work-life balance is heavily promoted and encouraged.

Cons

Lack of resources in key areas of the business and a lack of understanding why certain roles are critical. There is more Vena could do to improve the perception that we're a sales over product company.

Advice to Management

Company culture starts with management. While Vena is invested in making the company better overall I think more can be done to hold leaders to account where they or their employees behave unprofessionally.

Vena Solutions Response

17 Dec, 2018 – Chief People Person

We really appreciate the time you've taken to provide your feedback. It is nice to hear the pros you've outlined in your review as they are some of the important things we really value as an... More