Vector Marketing "friends and family" Reviews | Glassdoor.ca

Vector Marketing Employee Reviews about "friends and family"

Updated Jan 18, 2020

4.5
Vector Marketing President Bruce Goodman and Albert DiLeonardo (no image)
Bruce Goodman and Albert DiLeonardo
1,716 Ratings
Pros
Cons
  • "it just feels like I'm using my friends and family to make money off them(in 181 reviews)

• "I have no cons upon the company(in 88 reviews)

Reviews about "friends and family"

Return to all Reviews

"Sales Rep"

Former Intern - Assistant At in Toronto, ON

I worked at Vector Marketing for less than a year

Pros

-training was litty *S/O to Jordan -put in what you get (more effort = more rewards) *may not be the case sometimes

Cons

-selling to your friends and family (not the best outlook) -you basically emotionally deceive people but hey lmao -no customer base, work through your own network; makes it annoying to friends/family -time-consuming!!! especially, for those who have a busy schedule -can be emotionally stressing as you gotta work a lot setting up phone calls, booking appointments, etc.

Advice to Management

-get your own damn customer base? -be more strict with reps? -actually realize that people don't always want to buy k n i v e s

Vector Marketing2018-07-29

"SCAM!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, Can do from home

Cons

Made you guilt sell to your friends and family, Only paid for the presentations done and not anytime inbetween. Not paid for training or weekly meetings and products are so overpriced.

Advice to Management

Be upfront about your business model and stop tricking young grads to waste their time and money on this job! Pay for the training and provide your employees clients to sell to instead of bleeding their friends and families pockets!

Vector Marketing2018-07-26

"Marketing Associate"

I worked at Vector Marketing full-time for less than a year

Pros

Get's you hyped up to work hard

Cons

Door to door selling where you are referred to friends and family. No references, no money, no minimum guaranteed pay, transport on you.

Advice to Management

Don't overstate the position and don't make it seem the best job in the world

Vector Marketing2018-04-29
  4. "Do not believe the lies they feed you"

Former Freelancer - Sales Representative in Montreal, QC

I worked at Vector Marketing for less than a year

Pros

Possibility to make a lot of cash, flexible hours.

Cons

VERY BIG probability that you won't make cash AND that you will scam your friends and family

Vector Marketing2018-04-11

"Student job that's not so student-friendly"

Current Employee - Sales Representative (Trainee) in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Vector Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

The manager is super nice and they do offer some incentives like scholarships and contests for students who are trying to earn for their education. They are also pretty flexible with time as he allowed me to be exempt from weekly meetings because of the poor timing and school. The job does provide some good experience as you are forced to improve your time management skills.

Cons

The money vs. time ratio is the WORST. Let me break this down for everyone: At the start, you have to do about 27 hours of UNPAID TRAINING (8 hours/day for 3 days), then you normally spend about 15-30 minutes doing phone jams and calling people either in meetings or on your own time. Then there are the weekly meetings which last for 2 hours (for us, it's every Thursday night) and are unpaid but mandatory (unless you physically can't due to strict Asian parents like me). And then there's travel, which range from 10 minutes to 45 minutes depending on whenever or not you take the bus or have your own car. Each appointment takes 45 minutes to an hour. You're only getting paid for the appointment. Now don't be deceived by the pay they advertise! There is a base pay of $17.25 that they guarantee you for each appointment. You do get commission if you sell. HOWEVER, they do not combine that base pay and that commission. They pay you whichever amount is higher. So for example, if your base pay totaled to $103.50 (6 appointments), but your commission was only $90, then you're only paid $103.50 because the company pays you using that commission and a bit of their own money. As well, I don't like the fact that you have your family and friends as your starting clients. I expected them to give a Yellow Pages phone book or something but it's kinda weird to ask your loved ones to schedule a demo and sell overpriced knives to them. And I most definitely do not like the fact that they give forceful incentives to get referrals. Many of my friends felt uncomfortable by this because you essentially are forced to send the office people's contacts without their permission (they have an app for this) and I felt so guilty and uncomfortable too.

Advice to Management

Please find different ways to sell these knives. They're great quality but the methods in which we have to sell them consume too much valuable time and the pay becomes even less worth it when you're not even combining base pay and commission. Also, please make the method of finding other people through your employees less forceful. Make it more optional than deceptive.

Vector Marketing2017-09-08
  6. "Working at Vector"

I worked at Vector Marketing

Pros

Their product is amazing. I believe in it fully and I expect other people will too. It is expensive to sell but it is a product that lasts forever, so it is worth it.

Cons

They should help you out more with leads if you do not have anyone to sell to. If you do not have a supportive family and friends in doing this you will not get far.

Advice to Management

Give more time to get up and move around for more than 7min-10min during training when we are sitting there for hours and hours.

Vector Marketing2017-05-15

"Pyramid Scheme"

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

Everyone that worked there was genuinely nice and wanted to succeed If you're a good sales person and have lots of people in your life who needs knives, you'll succeed at this job

Cons

Always pushing you to sell their product to your family and friends Totally commission based Their ads always promise 17/hour when it's not really the case Unpaid training You have to pay for your own starter kit

Advice to Management

Please stop recruiting people who just want to make an honest living without bothering everyone they know. I'm sure there's people who genuinely enjoy this job and can make a living out of it, but that's not the case for most people.

Vector Marketing2017-02-09

"Eh."

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time

Pros

Training is good for those who want to learn how to sell and be persuasive. Pizza on last day of training.

Cons

Unpaid training. Training was like 8 hours at a time. It's hard selling knives that are like $1400 to your family and friends. Parents probably don't want you doing it.

Advice to Management

At least pay minimum wage for us to attend training. Multi-level marketing paired with direct deposit doesn't exactly sit well with most parents.

Vector Marketing2016-07-07
  9. "One of the better student jobs out there."

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Medicine Hat, AB

I have been working at Vector Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

* Your branch manager will help a ton with getting you started off on the right foot. * The pay is very, very good... especially considering the employees are high school and college students. You get a base pay, and make commission. If your commission is higher than what your base pay for the appointment is, you get the commission instead. * You get paid weekly. * It is great for building self-confidence, and for learning essential sales skills. * You are in control of how many appointments you want to take on. * They do not judge based on results, but rather on how hard you work. * The opportunity to run your own branch. My branch manager is only 19, he worked hard at the branch in his home city and was given the opportunity to run a start-up branch in a different city. * The opportunity to get some great prizes if you perform well. * Discounts on Cutco products.

Cons

* It requires networking with your friends and family, which can be tough for those in a lower-class upbringing. They train you expecting that you come from a nuclear family and have oodles of family friends who are married and own their homes, the kind of people Cutco is primarily marketed towards. * It can be difficult to get to appointments if you do not own a vehicle. Public transit takes longer. * They want you to get off to a fast start, which is extremely difficult if you do not have a ton of middle-class family friends who would be willing to see your demonstration. * You only get paid the base pay if the client is over 30 years old. * Some managers may require you to check in before and after every single appointment, which gets monotonous. * You need professional attire (business suit), which can be difficult to obtain for a student because of the expense. * They require a $103.94 deposit for your sample kit to use during demos. This is a mandatory expense. * The basic training is three days of 6 hours each, and is unpaid. * The advanced training is not something you are informed about until during basic training, and adv. training is usually scheduled at short notice so it can catch you double-booked if you have something already planned for that day. I had this problem when basic training was Thurs, Fri, and Sat, and adv. training was on Monday at the time when I had an appointment booked for Mon. * This is a very social job, so it can be rough at first while you build up your self-confidence. * Some of the paperwork is a bit confusing.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to reduce the requirements for calling in to the office before and after meetings, and also make training paid (at least at minimum wage, if nothing else). I would also revise the training to be a little more inclusive for people that don't come from upper/middle class upbringings. It's tough to make initial sales as not everyone has that kind of background.

Vector Marketing2016-06-27
  10. "Sales Rep"

I worked at Vector Marketing part-time for less than a year

Pros

Keeps you motivated and emphasize the fact that you can unlock your potential if you work hard at it

Cons

Asks you to reach out to your network for the first few sales. Aggressive sales tactics. My network of people were taken aback when I asked them to refer to their network of friends and family.

Vector Marketing2016-01-28