Vantage Deluxe World Travel Reviews

Updated Aug 7, 2020

2.4
Vantage Deluxe World Travel Chairman & Founder Henry Lewis (no image)
Henry Lewis
Pros
  • "The offices are absolutely gorgeous and conveniently located right by North Station(in 27 reviews)

• "Great location, opportunity to receive tickets to all sporting events and playoffs as well(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "No one should work in a company where they are unhappy(in 10 reviews)

• "Tough work environment can get stressful at times(in 10 reviews)

"Walk away ..."

I worked at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time

Pros

Near the train station. That's it.

Cons

The worst, most toxic environment I have ever worked in. You're better off unemployed. The owner is about the worst boss imaginable, who changes his mind on a constant basis and then will blame you for doing it wrong (aka the way he wanted it the first time). People get fired without cause at a moment's notice, most employees last well under a year - there's a reason they don't put permanent name badges on the office doors!

Continue reading
  2. "Opportunity to make money"

5.0
    Current Employee - Concierge/Sales Agent in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good opportunity to make a lot of commission money, plenty of training given, high quality products

Cons

travel business is slow at the moment but we are keeping busy

August 10, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to make improvements

"Stressful but fulfilling"

4.0
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate

I have been working at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free/Discounted travel, great coworkers, excellent location, free fruit, great local food options

Cons

Vacation time, fast paced, high pressure

November 11, 2019

Thank you for your comment. We surveyed our associates and increased benefits based on their direct feedback. We now offer a minimum of 3 weeks of vacation to start (more depending on the position), paid parental leave, free international travel and much more.

"STAY AWAY !!!"

1.0

Pros

Discounted travel, decent pay, close to the T.

Cons

These are the facts. There is rampant turnover, complete lack of respect for the present employees. Everyone who is here is actively looking elsewhere, because there is absolutely zero job security and it is such a miserable place to work. It's like rats on a sinking ship. And when we do get good people - they get fired for no reason. The smart ones get out before they are shown the door. Just take a look at all of the job postings and how often the same position is reposted. Give serious thought to even applying here. People start and then quit within a couple of weeks. There is a reason for that. I am leaving soon and couldn't be happier.

November 11, 2019

Thank you for your comments. We will continue to assess what works and doesn't work and make adjustments to improve. We recently increased benefits to offer a minimum of 3 weeks of vacation to start (more depending upon position), paid parental leave, free international travel and much more. We have also invested in technology and new product and will continue to look for ways improve quality with product and within the workplace.

"Most Toxic Environment. EVER."

Current Employee - Associate

Pros

Nice building, free fruit, nice gym downstairs.

Cons

The executive team is like the mean girls clique, even tho two are guys. Impossible to get your job done because you always have to watch your back. You may think you can break the inner circle and actually get stuff done, but in the end it won't matter. You will be berated, yelled at and demeaned. Don't even bother. All the negative reviews are TRUE.

November 23, 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We will continue to offer training to our managers to improve communication among all employees and promote teamwork. We have recently increased benefits and started a Spirit Committee to help facilitate those efforts.

"WARNING-Vanatage tells people what write, there nothing good or stress free at 90 canal"

Former Employee - Associate in Boston, MA

I worked at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time

Pros

Not one thing, it a toxic waste dump.

Cons

The owner and his “executive team” (note: they are not capable of working anywhere else and most definitely wouldn’t be considered executives) are a mob of abusive, controlling and horrid humans. The level of verbal abusive and mental stress should be illegal. In fact it probably is but people are scared to pursue action.

November 23, 2019

7. "Great Place to Work!"

5.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Stress free, great location, casual environment!

Cons

Communication throughout the company could be a little better.

November 11, 2019

Thank you for your review. We are working to improve communication with the addition of a Spirit Committee comprised of a representative from each department and the addition of a quarterly newsletter highlighting associates in the workplace, increase benefits and accolades from our customers. More to come in 2020!

"The Truth Hurts... Here It Is."

Former Employee - Marketing in Boston, MA

I worked at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Tickets to sporting events for the selected few employees on the owner's list of people he can leverage by giving free stuff, the occasional office lunch (but always from the same few places so this gets old real fast) and if you're truly one of the chosen you get to go on free trips with the other chosen few.

Cons

Would you like to know the brutally honest truth about working at Vantage Deluxe World Travel? Despite very few, clearly company-driven reviews attempting to mislead you (or shall we say, written by a few hand-selected people that are so detached from reality it is ridiculous) here is a story that will paint a picture of what life at this company truly looks and feels like. Imagine you worked a long, successful career in retail fruit sales, then accept an exciting highly paid job working at a retail fruit store. Day one, the owner storms in (with his pets) and tells you everything is wrong, and while yelling at everyone else he looks at you and tells you that he is going to 'teach' you how to do the business 'the right way'. He then directs you and the team to ONLY sell RED apples. Never anything else... because in his words, 'only idiots would sell anything else'. The owner proceeds to then sit everyone down for no less than four long painful hours explaining why red is the magical color, after all, he’s been ‘doing this for decades and no one knows the business better than him’. At the end of this four hour lecture, the owner gets quite angry and yells 'Why aren't you done restocking the entire store with red apples yet!??!? What is taking you soooo long?!???' This is no exaggeration. One of his pets blurts out 'Yep I sure told them they should use the red apples, it's totally their fault. I emailed three other people, not these folks sitting here right now, but other people, and they should have gone and asked those other three people which color apples they should be selling so it's clearly their fault.' You dutifully follow the direction as the owner leaves while his pets stay behind making lots of noise and messes that you have to work for hours to clean up, then you get to work restocking with the magical red apples. Day two, the owner returns (again with his pets) and sees a store stocked with nothing but shiny red apples... precisely as he directed. He looks shocked!! 'What are you doing?!? Are you some kind of moron? After I left you walked around and bumped into someone else in the hallway and listened to them!?? These should all be GREEN apples!!! You're hiring the wrong people!! Where is your competitive data??? Look across the street at Elite Fruits... they only have green apples! Even though Elite Fruits is a true luxury fruit cafe that is 10 times bigger than our bargain basement model, we should compare ourselves to them and do exactly what they do!' Then, the owner says to you 'So now that I have taught you how to do this, again, and you only have to restock the entire store with just green apples, I am making this easy for you right? I am helping you, see!!!?? Did I say it right?!?!?' Then the owner has you pick up every green apple and inspect every single one... meticulously. Nine painful hours later the owner leaves, his pets break things all over the store, bark loudly telling you everything was your dumb fault and they too leave rushing out the door to catch up with the owner in a panicked rush. Day three, you find out that immediately after the pets left the store, they spent the rest of the night telling your team they talked to the owner and all the green apples should be replaced with YELLOW apples, and there should be some BANANAS too... your team asked if they could update you and the pet told them to keep you out of it. As you walk into the store early that morning, you find bananas on the shelves with the pets supervising the team. When you ask why the change yet again, the pets bark at you 'Well everyone knows if we give away the yellow apples every customer will buy bananas. Unless you didn't learn anything in school and can't tell the difference between an apple and a banana!' The owner pops in and confirms he told the pets to change everything to yellow apples and bananas, behind your back. You point out that you followed the owner's directions from the day prior to the letter, that apples have a higher margin than bananas which you actually barely break even on, so even if you actually sell the bananas you still lose money by giving away the apples. The pets howl and scream at you and make messes all over the store again... and leave you to clean up the mess... again. You stare bewildered. Day four... the owner shows up and witnesses the disaster. He screams 'I NEVER told you to sell yellow apples or bananas, I have never done that and I don't know WHO you are bumping into!! Time time time... let’s take a time here. I know you're a young lady.... I mean I know I am the smartest person in the room, and I don't mean to offend anyone... except all morons that do nothing but eat sandwiches all day... Slow slow slow down you're confusing me. Don't you EVER listen to my pets... you ONLY LISTEN TO ME. My pets are idiots and if you listen to them you will put me out of business!!! They have cost me MILLIONS!! Don't you EVER listen to my pets!!!' You stare bewildered. At this point the store is actually on fire, and the owner tells you 'hey I just spent $70 million on two new stores and we are gonna stock them with really awful fruit... then we are gonna give it all away for free! Plus, we are going to give away those fruit bags we used to charge $0.20 a piece. Now I know that's our biggest money maker because the bags cost us literally $0.01 a piece, but I know better than anyone else how to do this because I have been doing this for 40 years!' You stare bewildered again... Then, the next day the pets tell you the plan to start advertising for the new stores. The pets claims new direction from the owner is to raise the prices for apples from $0.35 each, to $0.95 each... but now advertise when people buy an apple they will also get a 'free' banana. So you check with the owner, remembering what he said about his pets, and the owner screams at you over the phone for 3 hours jamming you through the new approach... which really only should've taken 3 minutes but the owner tells you he is again doing you a favor and 'teaching you' while he screams and insults you repeatedly. Again you dutifully follow that direction, which requires you to stay very late and fix everything one more time to support the new direction... every time someone comes in to buy an apple the pets jump in and tell the customer 'well, we know the new price is $0.95 BUT we're gonna go ahead and sell it to you for $0.25 because we really don't like telling customers they have to pay the new price and after all we know this customer saw the old price and we should just sell it to them at the old price WITH AN INVALID COUPON and blame you for raising the price anyway.' You stare bewildered. Again. Despite telling you and everyone else that his pets are complete idiots and blaming them for the drop in sales, you quickly learn the owner has been meeting with his pets and together they have completely changed the entire business plan.... once again. The pets proudly runs around pulling the entire company into the barn where they can be the center of attention, and proudly blab on for hours telling everyone the newest approach. You shake your head quietly because the newest plan makes absolutely zero sense and is in fact even worse for the business. When you attempt to discuss this newest change with the pets you are told to ‘shut up and just do it.’ You also wonder if this is really happening and based on everything the owner has rammed into your head you seriously question what the correct move is... After this pets end the meeting, the owner calls you and keeps you on the phone for 2 hours screaming at you because you haven't already rolled out the newest plan (the one you found out about literally 2 hours ago). Never mind the store has caught fire again, the pets are actually pouring gas on the fire, and there are now no bananas because the harvesters lost the shipment while negotiating prices with the farms. The owner screams at you for hiring the wrong people and tells you to go hire someone that knows how to genetically engineer better apples. You blink bewildered and bang your head on your desk. You find out there has been a new website in development for, well, years... but every time the team starts to make progress, the owner jumps in and pulls the team back into another room and has them make a bunch of unnecessary changes to the current website. Which means the new website timeline gets pushed back, and immediately after the meeting the owner runs around and screams at everyone demanding to know when the new website will be done. You notice the newest apple supply is bruised, and mention to the owner that you are concerned about sales. The owner screams at you 'well you should have known the pets were buying bad apples and it’s now YOUR fault because you should have fixed it.' You remind the owner that while the pets were buying the apples from the local farm, you were literally putting the fire out, changing the advertising materials to market the 'free' banana with higher priced apples and cleaning the store... to which the owner (and the pets because they walked in) screams at you calling you incompetent, blames you for costing the store 3 million dollars in revenue and if you would have listened to him and hired someone that knows how to make apple juice and apple jelly all your problems would be solved. You stare bewildered and begin to wonder if this is a bad dream or reality. You email the marketing team and you ask 'Hey marketing team can we schedule a meeting to discuss the new crop and how best to start advertising them?' The pets send an email in response: 'We need to sell more fruit, and if you actually knew how to market and sell fruit we could fix our cash flow problems and save the day. I really wonder if any of you know how to read, or if you even know how to do your jobs!? Next time, before you email anyone with bad info maybe you should check with me to see if you know what you're talking about!! And, I don't like the tone in your email! If you don't apologize to me I am gonna run and tell the owner while we go out drinking tonight!' This is only scratching the surface... if you doubt any of this, go ahead and take a job at Vantage. Within weeks you will sit down, shake your head and say 'EVERY single word in that review was spot-on, terrifyingly true.' You will. Nothing, literally not a single thing anyone can post here can possibly debate anything in this post because it is the truth... and we all know the truth can be hard to accept. The company has a spinning door... employees and contractors get fired, new ones hired, a few months later those get fired or quit, new ones are cycled in. When you see this at a company, it is a glaring HUGE red flag. The only thing that stays constant is the pets. Now, if your company posted losses year after year and the only constant thing was the pets, wouldn't you be smart enough to realize if you want anything to change you need to get new pets? Well now you know... if you choose to deny the truth, I can and will only be able to say, 'Told ya!!'.

August 26, 2019HR Manager

At Vantage we have many talented and driven associates who are integral to our success. We are proud to have a team of truly dedicated people who are not afraid to roll up their sleeves and get things accomplished. While Vantage provides a truly dynamic environment, you will never be bored and always have plenty of opportunities to show your skills and advance into more challenging positions.

"Don't Do It"

2.0
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

nice coworkers, fun products, decent benefits

Cons

Company is stuck in old ways of doing things like they did 35 years ago when it comes to reviewing staff (oh, no reviews at all) and developing them

July 22, 2019HR Manager

Thank you! Here at Vantage we try to stay current and make improvements if we fall short. One of our prime initiatives is increasing our efforts to grow and develop current employees. We appreciate your feedback.

"Bad communication, mistakes in posting job salaries!"

2.0
    Former Employee - Travel Specialist in Boston, MA

I worked at Vantage Deluxe World Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Boston location, work from home opportunity

Cons

The company needs to make sure the job postings (aka linkedin or other) have the correct salaries posted. You don't hire someone and they are assuming that the salary/commission under which they applied is now very different when you get your offer letter! The excuse was, "that was the customer service position" (which I have never seen posted) You start your training in the office...but never receive paperwork on your commission structure, your other paperwork is all done online! You ask repeatedly of HR and the trainer about your commission structure, and no response except "you will get that information upon the 4th week of training" ! There is something wrong with that picture. what does the new employee think except "what is this company hiding"? Big red flags and because of this I left after the first week of training, still not knowing my compensation structure for my sales commissions. Everything should be disclosed on the first day of work privately and each employee should be meeting personally with HR. I also asked about all the "bad reviews " from former employees on glassdoor upon starting, I thought I would make my own decisions on the company for myself but...now I understand.

July 22, 2019HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. Our standard practice is to provide a folder containing your job description, training plan, commission plan and some other items in the first week of training. This packet was provided per standard operating procedure. We are always looking to make improvements so we will carefully consider your feedback and make changes accordingly.

Found 176 reviews