Valero Energy Employee Reviews about "refinery"

Updated Feb 14, 2019

Valero Energy Chairman, President and CEO Joe Gorder
Joe Gorder
Pros
  • "Great benefits, they take care of their people(in 36 reviews)

• "Good pay, great mentors and support staff(in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • "The Memphis refinery management lacks field experience & ability to make tough business decisions(in 22 reviews)

• "Long hours and some holidays scheduled to work(in 21 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "refinery"

Return to all Reviews

"Inept & Indecisive leadership"

1.0
    Current Employee - Planner in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Valero Energy full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits and competitive compensation to other oil & gas refineries.

Cons

Terrible leadership! The Memphis refinery management lacks field experience & ability to make tough business decisions. Mid level supervision & craftsmen are worked in circles due to the poor leadership. Work life balance is non existent. If you want to achieve success & promotion, you will be expected to work 7 days a week & long hours. Your family must come 2nd to the big V! Higher performers will be pushed to their breaking limits while low performers are allowed/accepted for poor performance. The only reward for being a high performer is the ability to do someone else’s job that does not meet expectations.

Continue reading
  2. "Control Systems Engineering Intern"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Valero Energy for less than a year

Pros

Incredible Manager, easily one of the greatest people I’ve met Mentor ship program is great Everyone is happy to talk to you even the refinery leadership team They really wine and dine you

Cons

Slow career growth. They want you to stay in a similar position for a long time to become the expert at it. That may be perfect for some people but just didn't fit my career goals.

Continue reading

"Sad state of a once great company"

2.0
    Former Employee - Marketing and Supply in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Benefits are good, but quickly falling behind their industry peers.

Cons

Long hours, high stress with little recognition UNLESS you are a female under 35 and play politics, or a male under 35 who plays politics. YOUR PERFORMANCE DOES NOT MATTER. Younger or connected employees gain advancement with mediocre skills and poor work ethic. Go ahead, stay on your phone all day watching movies, let your terminals run out or leave for vacation while your refinery goes into containment... it's okay! Your older counterparts will fix your mess and YOU will be rewarded. Women are paid SIGNIFICANTLY less than their male counterparts no matter their education, experience, work ethic or performance. If you give your 2 week notice and are a woman, you will be let go immediately and benefits ended the same day (not a one time occurrence but a significant pattern). If you are a male and going to work FOR A COMPETITOR, they will let you stay through your 2 week notice even though you are in a highly sensitive roll (again, a pattern). I used to be an incredibly proud employee, but now hear daily horror stories of older employees being drummed out (they will continue to pile work on you until you are forced to resign or have a stroke), or will let you train and be a doormat for straight out of college young people. They do not give new (including college graduates) or transitioning employees the proper foundation to ensure their success. In the past, we had clear stepping stones and career paths to ensure employee growth and success. New management says that never existed and are doing an incredibly poor job creating their own "path" which is proving to be a massive failure. Valero's reputation has taken a significant hit throughout the industry and the low morale is widely known.

Continue reading

"Lots of employee growth opportunities but doesn't value employees"

Former Employee - Process Engineer

I worked at Valero Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There is a lot of career growth opportunities, especially for younger engineers. Good centralized training at corporate. High exposure potential to upper management/corporate.

Cons

Not open to relocation to other refineries, high expectation on time at work (50hrs/week as a regular), no overtime on turnarounds (many oil companies offer this), no 9/80s, no flexibility in work schedule. Only hires engineers straight from college, and with the amount of experienced engineers either moving into other roles or leaving the company this is creating a very very young engineering group. This makes it hard to learn as a new engineer and hurts the reputation of the engineering group in the eyes of the rest of the refinery.

Continue reading
  5. "Control Systems Intern"

I worked at Valero Energy

Pros

Lots of experience and good pay

Cons

Working in oil refinery is not for everyone

6. "Great Company, One Bad Refinery"

I worked at Valero Energy for less than a year

Pros

Very stable job for now. Very challenging and constant problem solivng

Cons

Very long hours. Benicia refinery hires mostly from BYU so you are treated differently not being mormon. Unpredictable schedule Many employees are hostile

"Weigh Your Options Before Accepting an Offer"

2.0
    Engineer in Port Arthur, TX

I worked at Valero Energy for more than 3 years

Pros

Let me preface my review by stating that the attitude and culture of the refinery I worked in, in Port Arthur is not representative of the company at large. This review is specific to that location only: Pros: A ton of learning opportunities for a young engineer Good compensation and benefits (still below industry average) Knowledgeable resources both locally and at a corporate level for support

Cons

Blatant favoritism towards some employees that wasn't based on performance or manner in which work was accomplished Questionable business ethics regarding contractors, job bids, and environmental reporting High turnover rate for engineers (lack of middle aged employees and mentors) Poor quality middle management (in part due to turnover and in part due to upper management decision making) Lack of training guidance on work processes and job responsibilities i.e. a trial by fire approach

"Engineer"

Engineer

I have been working at Valero Energy

Pros

Great benefits and pay. Plenty of challenges.

Cons

Disconnect between corporate and refinery goals

9. "Project Engineering Intern"

I worked at Valero Energy

Pros

Interning with Valero was a great experience. I was able to work in a refinery and help with actual projects. The company does a lot of charity work as well which is a great way to get involved in the community.

Cons

As an intern, I didn't get to see all sides of Valero, so I personally don't have anything negative to say about the experience.

10. "Internship"

5.0

I worked at Valero Energy

Pros

It was almost unreal how well everyone worked together. Exposed to great work experience.

Cons

Working in a refinery you're surrounded by nasty chemicals.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 28 English Reviews