University of Central Oklahoma Employee Reviews about "uco"

Updated Jul 9, 2020

Found 37 of over 233 reviews

4.2
University of Central Oklahoma President Patti Neuhold - Ravikumar (no image)
Patti Neuhold - Ravikumar
Pros
  • "Without a doubt, the greatest thing about UCO is the time off(in 28 reviews)

• "Great work environment, they really care about their employees(in 13 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Low pay, short staffed sometimes(in 14 reviews)

• "UCO is a public university, so one should have reasonable expectations with regard to pay and bureaucracy(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "uco"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Great Experience

Jul 9, 2020 - Athletic Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible hours, great work experience, coordinated well with class schedule.

Cons

UCO is a public university, so one should have reasonable expectations with regard to pay and bureaucracy.

2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Most Departments are Great!

Aug 19, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The paid workout time every week is a significant bonus. However, some offices do not support it or provide you the margin to actually go. The health benefits package is OK, the time off/holiday schedule is crazy good, and the culture is a fake-nice that can rub off on you if you are not careful.

Cons

Though most of the divisions on campus are great, there are some areas that I would never recommend: the Grants and Accounting Office, the Office of Advancement/Development, and Human Resources. You might have a good experience in the HR department if you are a straight white female, but no other ethnicity, sexual preference, or gender will be accepted. There is almost no chance of advancement, small likelihood to move to another area in UCO, and this organization is VERY political, though this fact can take a while to fully see.

Recruitment Specialist

The University of Central Oklahoma is committed to an inclusive educational and employment environment that provides equal opportunity and access to all qualified persons. We take situations like this very seriously and would like to learn more. Please call our employee relations team at (405) 974-2630 to discuss your experiences further.

3. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Nice Culture, Low Pay

Aug 16, 2019 - Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

The culture of UCO is its strongest asset. They are proactive in adopting policies that benefit employees and students and always forward-thinking. UCO does its best to put their employees and students first which can be difficult to do given the state of education in Oklahoma.

Cons

The pay is very low, but probably on par with other state universities; comes with the territory when working in education. Depending on your role, realize you might be working with and/or directly reporting to professors. This might present hurdles you hadn't expected and can impact your performance. Some professors should not be managing people, yet, they are.

Recruitment Specialist

Thank you for providing your feedback! We agree, our culture is pretty great and we really appreciate all of our employees and students. We will relay your sentiments to upper management.

4. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Overall Great

Jun 17, 2019 - Student Worker
      Business Outlook

Pros

UCO offers flexible scheduling, and great resources.

Cons

Not very competitive pay, and upper management made some strange choices that complicated things.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Incredible Benefits, So-so pay

Feb 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Without a doubt, the greatest thing about UCO is the time off. Starting at an accrual of 15 days a year for Vacation and 15 days for sick leave, there is more than enough time off.

Cons

The pay isn't incredible competitive.

6. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

UCO's Continuing Education Program is a BAD JOKE!

Mar 29, 2019 - Program Manager - Continuing Education in Edmond, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

UCO itself is an excellent place to work across campus....but NOT in Continuing Education. This department suffers from poor leadership, arrogance, and lack of academic understanding. The main point of this department and its leadership is financial.... not the well being of students or clients.

Cons

Continuing Education is the worst managed, narcissistic department on campus. TERRIBLE,. Department leadership has problems with ego, Uncommunicative. Backstabbing. Does not understand the academic world of a university.

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work if you have a Phd, not so much if you don't.

Oct 29, 2008 - Lecturer in Edmond, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

As a lecturer at UCO, I teach without a PhD. So while the institution declares itself a primarily teaching institution, I am not evaluated based on my teaching but instead on my research, which is next to impossible to complete without a PhD. You can see where this is going…while I work hard, have positive student reviews and have positive outcomes on teaching, I’m passed over for promotions, not eligible for merit bonuses, and in general have no opportunities for advancements while faculty with PhD’s get tenure, are allowed to teach fewer students (i.e., work less) and make up to three times my salary. Ok, this is the system in higher education, but as “teaching” institution and not a “research” institution it shouldn’t be this way. Ok, now on to the positives. There are lots of things going for this school including a progressive management team, an environmental ethic, a desire to focus on leadership and civic engagement and other things to make it a good place to work. In fact, if I ever had any hope of a promotion, I wouldn’t be quitting, but after seven years and no room to grow, I’ve decided to move on. The upper leaders (President, Provost, etc) of the school have really impressed me but the system is stacked against someone with only a master’s degree so I’m out looking for a job.

Cons

Promotions are not really merit based for faculty, more so on education completed.

8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Low salaries; Very political; Fun campus environment

Sep 7, 2015 - Academic Affairs in Edmond, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at UCO off and on for about ten years. It is fun to be on the college campus, and you are encouraged to be involved. There are many opportunities for employees to interact with students and to work in cross-campus roles. It is enjoyable to work for a college because of the energy and engagement there. Some nice benefits are available because of the university environment, like library privileges, the work out center, free lunches around Broncho Lake sometime, free football games sometimes, and more.

Cons

I found UCO to be very political. Some people moved up quickly there, and generally those were the people who were in the VP's pockets. One Assistant VP doesn't even have a college degree, but she covered for a VP for a few years and moved up. Other people work diligently and never see a promotion. Alternatively, if someone can't get along with others, you see them moved into a Director position where they do their own thing and have no direct reports. Salaries were very low when I was there. I know they have tried to make them better lately, but compared to the private sector, the salaries there are very low. In some areas, you aren't very busy, so the low salaries aren't as painful. But other areas require a ton of effort, time, and dedication, and you won't be monetarily rewarded.

HR Generalist

Thank you for submitting a review. I agree that it is really nice to work on a college campus where you are able to interact and be involved with the students, staff and faculty. Some of the perks like the wellness center is an added bonus most people can't get at their employer. We appreciate your advice. We continue to look at salaries and conduct necessary analysis to make sure we are fair and competitive. And typically when someone starts and continues we put in place different goals to help them move up.

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

It's true that UCO is one of the nation's Great Colleges to Work For (The Chronicle of Higher Education thinks so, too!)

Jan 23, 2014 - Manager Employee Relations in Edmond, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Working for this thriving metropolitan University is exceptionally rewarding, especially considering that it is the University's mission to help students learn and become productive and engaged citizens. That's something so meaningful to me, and I feel good everyday knowing that I am contributing to an endeavor that's so worthwhile. The quality of life we enjoy as UCO employees is truly second to none. Not only are we able to achieve that elusive work/life balance that so many people seek in their place of employment, we also have one of the most generous benefits packages around, we have countless opportunities for professional development and career advancement, we promote and embrace an atmosphere of diversity and inclusion, we work in an environment of collegiality where creativity is embraced and new ideas have the freedom to flourish, and we have the good fortune to work on a beautiful, historical campus. In UCO, I have found my professional home.

Cons

I truly cannot think of anything negative to say about UCO as an employer.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Lucky to Work Here

Jun 20, 2014 - Executive Assistant in Edmond, OK
      Business Outlook

Pros

Co-Workers are very welcoming. UCO offers very comprehensive on-board training which is a definite plus for getting your career off to a good start. They really want you to progress and learn and offer tons of professional development classes throughout the year. They reward hard work and like to promote from within. Great paid holiday schedule, especially if you have school-aged children. Good benefits- health, life, retirement, tuition reimbursement for yourself and family.

Cons

Hard to get hired. They have tons of applicants for each job (because it is a great place to work). Count yourself very lucky if you do get hired. Don't give up if you don't. Apply for everything you think you are qualified for.

Talent Acquisition Manager

Thanks for your review! Professional Development is a big priority for our staff and I hope you utilize the learning center frequently to sign up for classes and learning opportunities! I agree with your assessment that we have a lot of applicants for roles at UCO - I also agree with your advice - don't give up!

Viewing 1 - 10 of 37 Reviews