United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Reviews

Updated Oct 16, 2021

Found 1,301 of over 1,352 reviews

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) President & CEO Mat Ishbia
Mat Ishbia
Pros
  • "It’s very easy to get to know fellow team members and make lasting connection(in 88 reviews)

• "United shore is a great place to work/gain experience in the mortgage industry(in 82 reviews)

• Cons
  • "With the recent uptick in COVID-19 cases United Shore has failed to address this recent news and/or provide an alternative(in 54 reviews)

• "Underwriters and AE's are extremely arrogant and think they can do whatever they want(in 53 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Finance

83 Comments

Finance

7.4K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/finance/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.ca&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Industry-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM)~699293
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years
      Featured Review

Great Place

Aug 9, 2021 - Internal Auditor/Compliance in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Family atmosphere....leadership absolutely cares about you. Opportunities galore to move up the ladder and/or change jobs. The resources are outstanding to improve your skill-sets and leadership qualities.

Cons

Benefits have improved as well as vacation so there is little to complain about.

1 person found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for the kind review! We're so glad you're enjoying your nice long time here at UWM! We have so much appreciation for team members like you who've been with us through periods of tremendous change and growth. It's been an exciting ride, yes? Thank you for your loyalty and being such an integral part of our success. Here's to another 8-10 years!

2. 5.0
      Current Employee

Team Member - IT

Nov 29, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Looking for a great place to kickstart your career? This is it! Opportunities and growth along with a focus on work life balance make United Shore one of the places to work anywhere.

Cons

Our fast paced environment may not be for everyone, but for those of you who are looking for innovatiion and growth this is the place!

Team Member Services

Thank you for your positive feedback! You’re right, our opportunities for growth are endless for our hard working team members, and we understand the importance of having a healthy work/life balance to allow for optimal family time.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee

Underwriter

Sep 17, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

- People - Potential for bonuses - Good perk

Cons

- Poor 401k matching - Bad work hours 10-7pm

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for taking the time to provide us your feedback. Our work hours vary by role and team, in an effort to provide the best service we can to our clients. We are glad to hear you enjoy the people here, who we think truly make up the great culture that we experience every day.

4. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to start

Aug 26, 2021 - Senior Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very friendly environment. I've met some very cool people here and the majority of the staff is extremely supportive of each other. I was able to get experience when very few employers present the option, but require experience to enter the field.

Cons

Executives are completely disconnected from the reality of those working production. They continue to expect more out of every employee while simultaneously cutting pay and removing bonus opportunities at every corner. I can't tell if they don't care or if they are just blindingly unaware. Either way, everyone who isn't in upper management is getting the short end of the stick. But I suppose that's most corporations. Just thought this one was different at first... Because they claim to be.

34 people found this review helpful
    5. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Misery

Sep 23, 2021 - Underwriter II
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free coffee You will be miserable with your coworkers together which improves your relationship with them. If you have a good leader they will have your back.

Cons

Cut the bonus structure while taking away opportunities to hit commitment. Raising commitment after “listening to our feedback” while the queues are low. Does not care about COVID and has said “COVID does not exist in the wall of UWM”. Brokers screaming at you and speaking to you like you are a child who knows nothing. Cannot go to the restroom without notifying a coworker and forwarding your phone to them. Brokers spam client requests that are timer begins instantly and you must complete within a timeframe.

30 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Terrible company with some good people

Sep 16, 2021 - Senior Underwriter in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

Most of my teammates were good people. Training program was decent. PTO was fairly competitive (3 weeks after the start of 2nd year.) Good place to start a career. They will hire with minimal experience and you can take that experience elsewhere after a year or two.

Cons

This company got so caught up in their own dreams of becoming the largest lender that they made some costly mistakes. They build a massive complex in Pontiac, including the largest land-bridge in the state to connect their enormous buildings. And they wildly overestimated how many underwriters they would need. Because they spent so much money on their facility, they felt it necessary to bring ALL employees back into the office, regardless of circumstance. Not only as a way of justifying that expense, but also because this position is not competitive across the industry. Their facilities are pushed as a huge benefit to working for the company, so if employees are working remotely, they will eventually realize they can make more elsewhere. Personally, I hit all of my commitments (usually exceeded them) and was promoted quickly while working remotely. I also had family circumstances that made it impossible to come back into the office. I was forced to quit when the ultimatum was set for returning to the office. It took me less than a month to find a permanent remote position that pays 30% more with a competitor. Ironically, the company loves to tout that its employees are extremely valuable, and that we're all a giant family. But it does nothing to protect them (COVID is basically a dirty word. Minimal precautions taken. I knew several people who were forced to come into the office WHILE THEY HAD COVID.) And retention is not a goal of the company at all. This position was heavily production driven, and by the time I left, there was simply not enough to go around. It was mathematically impossible for everyone to hit their production goals, yet management continuously stressed the important of production, and reprimanded employees who did not hit them. I was fortunate to never be impacted by this, but I know a lot of people who were. Even when there was enough work to go around, this job never felt stable. I had 7 managers (team leads) in as many months, at one point. Some of them quit, some stepped down, some were 'politely asked' to step down. My rotating cast of coworkers was impossible to keep up with. I will say most of my managers were pleasant to work with, and generally knowledgeable. Hours were 10-7, not very good, and downright awful if you had a commute. Mandatory lunch made it worse. There's not enough time to really go anywhere or do anything, you just sit in the office for an hour. Most people work. Overtime is 'not mandatory' according to every manager, however every other Tuesday it is literally mandatory to work for 12 hours. And most employees are forced to work overtime to hit commitment in normal weeks since the workflow is in such a bad spot. The kicker? Senior underwriters are fully salaried. No additional pay for OT. Bonus program was peeled back so heavily that bonus pay is now pennies. High producers and employees who know what they're doing have no incentive to stay with the company once they've put in some time as a senior underwriter. And team leads have it even worse. They work a ton of OT, are not paid well, are not treated well by their managers or their clients, and have almost no upward mobility from there. Just trapped in a position that demands every ounce of your soul and rewards you with the pay that starting underwriters make at competitors.

35 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for posting your review and sharing your thoughts. Sounds like you had some very good takeaways, with a couple of concerns surrounding working remotely and staffing overall. We've always been an on-campus company; we absolutely feel we are better together and our campus culture is truly second to none. Being able to work side-by-side with fellow team members, to interact, collaborate, and engage make for a much more fulfilling work experience. We are also over-staffed by design. This allows for two things: to provide the best possible service to our clients, and to ensure a strong work-life balance for our team members. We are glad though that you've landed somewhere that's aligned with your and your family's needs. Best of luck to you!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great company

Oct 16, 2021 - Closer in Pontiac, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

-benefits and amenities are really amazing -promotions -opportunity -training

Cons

-pay -shift times -mandatory late night shifts

8. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great perks but high stress

Oct 12, 2021 - Underwriter II
      Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are great and they have amazing perks/benefits

Cons

It’s stressful trying to hit high commitments ever single day

1 person found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

We're sorry you're no longer at UWM to keep enjoying our perks, benefits, people, and MORE! Underwriting is a rigorous role, for sure, but we work hard to train and continually support all our team members. Good luck to you!

9. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Good place to gain experience, but not to stay

Oct 7, 2021 - Mortgage Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

UWM is great for training and development. They offered multiple UWX courses for incoming underwriters throughout the year teaching us the most effective way to underwrite loans and learn about the mortgage industry. My immediate pod were also amazing people. There are a lot of people there that know what they're doing and will support you in any way that they can.

Cons

Firm 40 was a common saying, but it was extremely unrealistic. I had to stay long hours to get my commitment of 16 done everyday. Meanwhile, brokers unfairly use the CR (Client Request) system to try and jump ahead of turn time and bully you when you don't give in to their requests.

4 people found this review helpful

United Wholesale Mortgage (UWM) Response

Thank you for providing us with your feedback. We're sorry to see you're no longer here - Underwriting is a team of so much opportunity for growth and advancement. We always strive to ensure our staffing levels exceed volume demand so all our team members can enjoy a strong work-life balance. We always appreciate when team members can provide more, but our primary focus is achieving that balance. Our teams do a great job educating our brokers on the best way to use our CR system, and the process has been phenomenal in terms of creating more transparent communication and loan-level resolutions. Best of luck to you in your new role!

10. 3.0
      Former Employee

Sets you up to succeed

Oct 14, 2021 - Commercial Underwriter
      Business Outlook

Pros

UWM gives you all the materials you need to be successful

Cons

changed bonus structure making it harder to reach meaningful bonuses

Viewing 1 - 10 of 1,301 Reviews